Certified Legendary Thread Willo's Friday Inquisitions - Seasons 1 & 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We were a very good team back then.
I can recall every one of those players, they were the days.
I was a big fan of Paul Jefferies back then, and I know Goggin really rated him.
Blakey was awesome that year.
Butch Cassidy was a talent that seemed to cop too many injuries.

It was a pity, he had the best disposal in the team. Never wasted a kick.
No mention of Kevin Higgins- was he already gone by then?

Yep, already over at Fitzroy in '79. A pity really because he was a very good attacking back flanker but they ruined him by playing him up forward because they had so many holes up there in those days.

Last edited:
In my first and second game that dad took me to I had the privilege of sitting in the seats of what was then the high tech Social Club Stand.

I remember the crowd at K'Park in 1980 for the Geelong V Collingwood game that was in excess of 42,000. I had to keep walking along the Eastern wing until I could find a place in the crowd where I could actually see the game. One of the problems of being a short arse. The atmosphere was enormous.
And to think how much the township had grown since those days but the crowds for big games were ground capacity. Even to think that they had over 49,000 at K'park in 1952.

The names from that era were Rod Blake who was best on ground that day and was 3rd in the Brownlow of 1980. John Mossop a traditional Geelong Redhead, Bruce and Ian Nankervis, Terry Bright, Stephen Lunn, Gary Malarkey, Micheal Turner, Neville Bruns, Tom Floyd, Ray Card, Peter Featherby, David Clarke, Peter Johnston, Murray Whitcombe, Sam Newman.

Others from that era in 1980 were Mark Bos, Robert (Scratcher) Neal, Jack Hawkins (dad of Tom), Mark Yeates, Larry Donahue, Kevin Sheehan (shifter), Paul Jeffereys, (whom I was in the same grade at primary school with at Tate Street in Thomson in the East side of Geelong), Malcom Reed (who won the equivalent of the Liston trophy in 1980 IIRC), Andy (Gutsy) Preston, Kelvin Mattews (brother of Leigh), Jeff Cassidy, Richard Murrie, Glenn Middlemiss, Zane Taylor, Mario Bortolotto, Dale Smyth, Jan Smith, Maurice O'Keefe and Paul Sarah.
Others on the list included: Darren Morgan (Mad Dog), Craig Dowsett (a form lower than me at East Tech). Those names should jog a few memories of the old blokes on this forum.

Few memories there Peter Johnson and Jumpin Jack . Thompson supplied a few good players around then Jeffries , Sarah and Big Larry D

Great read there Willo_ and The rabbi. Top shelf stuff always.

Looking forward to a few more VFL games and medicinal beverages this year. Dunno when yet but will keep you posted and the first round is on me.

Go Catters

Few memories there Peter Johnson and Jumpin Jack . Thompson supplied a few good players around then Jeffries , Sarah and Big Larry D

Jeffreys and Donahue were definitely Thomson boys but I am fairly confident Phil and Paul Sarah were both East Geelong F.C. lads. (Richmond Cres).

You are probably right sarah.13 would know for sure. Not far away from each other thats for sure.

The east side of town was my old stamping ground, having grown up in Thomson.

Good Morning fellow Cats fans and opposition lurkers

A miracle has occured, I am up early enough before work and actually have an interview ready to go.... so you get to enjoy your friday before the long weekend that little bit more.

Todays guest is in my opinion comfortably sits at the upper level of posters on this board. Her knowledge smashes most on the board I would say.

Today I have a chat with cats_09

Enjoy

What got you into footy and the Cats?

I’ve always said that I had no choice but support Geelong – my dad was a passionate Cats supporter and he passed that onto me at a very young age. I was born on the Gold Coast and lived there for my first 4 1/2 years before the family decided to move back to Geelong; even though my time on the Gold Coast was spent when the Bears were trying to establish themselves in QLD, I had no concept of footy beyond the notion “in this family we support the Cats”. So I bled blue & white from a very young age.

I really don’t remember a point or reason why I got into footy; it just feels like it’s always been part of my life, and after moving to Geelong it just made it more accessible. I wasn’t one of those kids who went to the footy with their parent/s on weekends; my dad got a Social Club membership upon returning to Geelong, so not exactly the place for a restless youngster and unfortunately he passed away when I was 9, which meant our live footy matches were limited to a few practice games. But his love for the Cats is something he passed onto me, and 20years later this is an area of passion that allows me to keep a connection with him.

And how many games do you get to these days?

These days I would get to about 90% of our Victorian games. I started going to the odd game in 2009, and due to luck & a positive change in circumstances that year I was able to afford my first membership in 2010.

The juggle with games for me is that I’m also a member of the Geelong Supercats – so majority of weekends between March/April through to September involve attending (or trying to) 1, 2 or 3 matches across both teams. Majority of each teams season runs without clashes or where clashes occur it’s generally with one team playing interstate, but unfortunately a couple of times a year they will clash with Vic based games & it does mean choosing which team I skip on (I try to alternate based on opponent & location).

My next goal is to attend an interstate Cats match, scheduling permitted – I tend to get to an interstate match each season for the Supercats, so it would be nice to even it up with one for Cats also.

Where do you enjoy going to (ground wise) the most and why?

Nothing beats the atmosphere of sitting amongst a massive crowd at the MCG – in particular our games in recent years against the Hawks & Pies which have drawn relatively high crowds, and with how close a lot of those matches have been, the atmosphere is brilliant.

I love our home matches in Geelong, but the lack of atmosphere is disappointing – maybe as fans we have had it too good for a while now and there is almost an expectation of winning our real home matches; seems to be a reactive crowd to how the game plays out compared with being proactive and getting involved from the start.

Thats probably the best way I have heard the KP crowd described... we do tend to need a bad run with the umpires or to be struggling a bit for the crowd to make any noise

I think that for the most part since 2007 we have had things pretty easy at KP with most games over by 3/4 time or earlier in a lot of cases, so as fans we can almost just go through the motions: “goal kicked = clap & cheer”, “no free kick/free kick to opposition = boo umpire” etc.

In terms of crowd response and atmosphere, the game against Freo this year is a perfect example for what you want to experience with how the crowd became invested in the match. It would be great to see that atmosphere at every KP games, as long as it didn’t require us to be on the edge of our seats due to the tightness of the match.

What got you on Bigfooty?

I can’t remember exactly why, but I’m going to put the blame on one of my workmates and SC & DT etc. I would spend time playing the different fantasy comps, and my workmate knowing that work give suggestions of different leagues to join, so I decided that if I was going to join a league where the rest of the players were members of a particular site that I should probably be a member of the site also.

I don’t think I really explored the site much when I first joined and it actually took me a year or so after joining before I started looking around, found my way to the Geelong board & starting posting.

And what is it that you enjoy about this place?

This is going to sound cliché, but I enjoy having somewhere to come and discuss footy & footy related issues, in particular those involving the Cats.

While I do browse through most threads, during the season I would focus a bit more on the pre & post game threads; with the pre-game threads it’s great how we are all experts with what we think should happen with team plans & team selections for the upcoming match, and generally how we get things somewhat wrong come Thursday night. With the post game threads I enjoy being able to read how others saw the game, particular those who were in attendance because what you see on tv is different to what you see at the ground, and where your sitting at the ground makes a different also. You can read all the newspaper & online articles about the match the following day but they all tend to take a similar line; so I appreciate reading about how others saw the game & things that they noticed.

I also enjoy having the VFL updates, which because of laziness I don’t get to enough home VFL games; but having those who do following the VFL provide not only match updates, but also updates on players development & return from injury progress etc is useful.

For the most part this board is a welcoming and positive environment, where it doesn’t matter if you’re a newbie or a veteran poster, we are all entitled to our opinion – although things can get a little heated & crazy at times after a loss. The banter & varied opinions throughout the threads make for great reading; discussions with different & opposing opinions helps us challenge and expand our own thoughts, to where we may end up looking at a situation or player differently to how we had before. I enjoy that we aren’t all of the same opinion, that while we have the ability to express ourselves, we will get challenged or we may challenge another persons thinking, and that it’s done in a respectful manner majority of the time.

Now your avatar is of course a picture of Dan Menzel, what is the reason for that?

Short answer: I love Dan and loved watching him play.

Long answer: I remember when we debuted in 2010, during his 3 game stint there was just something special about him and he was enjoyable to watch. He obviously cemented his spot in the team in 2011, and I remember during that season having discussions elsewhere about who would the first of our 09 draftees to play 100 games – came down to Menzel & Duncan and I believed we had agreed on Menzel,

He had a great game against the Pies to end the h&a season, some of his marks that night, the way he leaped at the ball – here was a player to watch for the next 10years and get excited about. Then a week later in that final against the Hawks, I was at the game sitting on the opposite wing, watched Menzel run after the ball & the incident where he fell – watching the replays I just felt sick because you could tell it wasn’t good.

The day after the match they replayed the Rising Star ceremony on tv and during 2011 we ended up with Menzel, Duncan & Christensen all being nominated – they did a segment on all 3 boys with them putting each other through a series of different “trick shots” with the footy. Menzel dominated against the other 2, from kicking the ball into a bin, to kicking into the goal post etc – watching that just felt like a further kick in the guts because it showed how skilful this kid was and suddenly he was out for the next 12 months (now it’s 4 knee reco’s later)

So this is my own personal reminder and recognition for Menzel – to not forget the player he was, because as much as I’d love to see him back out on the field, it’s doubtful we will ever see him have the impact he seemed that he would should he even make it that far.

Do you think he will make it back onto the field during an AFL game?

As much as I would love to see Menzel running around at the top level again, I’m doubtful we will see it happen.

For Menzel to make it back, he isn’t just battling to overcome the 4 knee reconstructions, but also the challenge of trying to return after missing over 3 years (albeit the odd time in the VFL) is going to be as tough as anything; the game changes & evolves each year, so Menzel can do all the strength & conditioning work in the gym to get his body strong, but that’s only one part of his return, adjusting to how the game is played now compared to 2011 is going to be tough.

The other issue he has to contend with is how many of his teammates, especially of the more recent drafts have passed him in the pecking order – we can’t afford to be comparing Menzel’s 2011 form with the “current/2015” form of players and just expecting that if he is able to make it back to the top level that he will have the same impact on games he had back then. The emotion has to be taken out of any decision surrounding Menzel’s potential return to the AFL and if he ends up in the position of being able to be selected, that the decision is made based on his form, his expected impact and that he is in the best 22 ahead of another player, not just select him to have the feel good story of the year but where he has no or limited impact on any game/s he plays.

I would love to be proven wrong and for Menzel to add to his AFL games tally, to see him contributing to the team again – but I’m hesitant to back his return 100%

Aside from Dan which other players do you have the most hope for, not necessarily in regards to just staying fit but in a football sense on a whole?

Before the unfortunate injury news that came through today, McCarthy was a player I was hoping would be able to get some consistent football under his belt in 2015; just hope that his foot isn’t too bad and he isn’t out for too long. While he didn’t set the world on fire in his few games last year, he was a player who did keep my attention when he did get on the park – he lacks some polish with his finishing and at times is kinda like a lost puppy where he is “see ball, get ball” and where he never saw a high ball he didn’t think presented him with a mark of the year (if he held the mark), but it was good to see one of our inexperienced youngsters keen to be involved. He is someone I would love to see get an extended run on the park (VFL & AFL) where he has the opportunity to feel settled and comfortable with his role and what is expected of him, because he was probably trying too hard at times last year to make his mark on the game rather than just playing his role, but that will come with extended time in the team.

Josh Walker is another player I would like to see take that next step this year – things seemed to almost click for him after he returned to the side in Rnd 23, especially when he was able to focus on playing as a forward because he seemed to still drift out of the game when he had to spend extended time in the ruck. I know in the Brisbane game, that while Hawkins ended up with 7 goals & Walker only had the 1, he has a really strong period where he just started splitting packs and taking some big marks to give us a target up forward; unfortunately for his work he only kicked the 1 goal but he seemed to take confidence from that into our finals series. While he can go into the ruck, I don’t know if long term that is where he is going to be of most value, so I would love to see him (and the coaching staff) have him focus on his role up forward - obviously has some big competition for a spot in the forward line with the off-season inclusions of Clark & Stanley, plus Vardy & Kersten fitting fit after injury, but based on how he finished last season, if he can put in a strong preseason & strong performances during the NAB Cup games, he deserves to have a crack early on and to not just be seen as a gap filler which is has he has tended to be used over the past couple of years.

Plus guys like Bews, Thurlow & Smedts who have all been given a taste of senior footy over recent seasons, but it would be good to see them (amongst others) given an extended run in the seniors without the fear or pressure they will be dropped after 1 or 2 games due to returning veterans, and without being given the green vest before the match. We need to trust our younger guys coming through that they will be able to take that next step, but without continuity at senior level, or having them in the green vest until the last 20 minutes isn’t going to help them take that next step in their development.

and what are your thoughts on the guys we have brought into the club, and our trade/draft period on a whole

I was pretty happy with how we went about things during the trade/draft period with the players we bought in and I’m looking forward to seeing how the club sees them fitting into our side and the role/s they will play. The club seemed to acknowledge that we have an issue with talls, in particular our ruck situation and I like the idea how we did approach the trade & draft period – use trade week & FA for the recruitment of talls, as well as the rookie list which can be seen to take a level of pressure of the player/s as they develop, and then use the ND to target midfielders and the like.

We have taken a risk with the recruitment of Clark, as we have been hurt before by bringing in guys who have had injury troubles in the years prior to us picking them up – McIntosh & Drum in particular; so hopefully we don’t get burnt again with this recruitment. At this stage the reports from the club seem positive with the direction that Clark is heading in, but I’m not going to set high expectations for what we will see from him this yea - this sounds obvious but to see him to stay healthy, get on the park, play a role for us and grow into that role with each game (whether as a permanent forward or spending time in the ruck), and ultimately have a platform from which he can build on next year.

I feel that Stanley is our most curious recruit – I’m doubtful the club would give up pick 21 for a player they see predominately playing VFL next year, but unsure where the clubs feels his best role will be for him to be regularly playing seniors. With his height and athleticism, I’m hoping we see him spending time in the ruck – hopefully the NAB Cup with answer a few questions for the roles of different players.

As for our ND selections, I trust the club with who they went after – I’m not someone who gets into the who pre-draft stuff, the research & knowledge of the different prospects and the predictions etc. My knowledge of our new draftees is limited to what I have read on the forum (plus a few other articles) and it sounds like we have a good young group.

So based on who we have brought in and of course 2014 what are you expecting for 2015?

I don’t think we can be expecting any of our new additions to be major game changes for the team where suddenly Mitch Clark or Rhys Stanley are going to make us contenders – how we perform this season will depend on how each player is able to step up & play their role within the team and their desire for improvement across the board. I’m expecting we will probably be around the middle of the top 8, where we may not be a contender for the flag but we can push & make things difficult for those who are and end the year around 4thto 6th on the ladder – if things go our way and we have a bit of luck then hopefully an improvement on that, while at the same time if luck is against us or things don’t click I could see us sliding down the ladder.

A key for improvement is going to be our younger players stepping up and taking more responsibility – while we only have Clark in line to reach 100 games this year, we have 6 players who were regular members of our best 22 last year in the 30 ->70 game bracket and those are the guys we need to see taking their game to the next level, if we don’t want to fall away. The last few years we have relied on too few players to step up when it got tight in games and generally it was the same names listed in our best who more often than not were our 200+ game veterans, “younger players” in Selwood & Hawkins, with too few sub 25yr olds showing they could step up when it matters on a consistent basis. We can’t have that continual reliance on the same “old” players this year as we have the past few seasons because it gives a false impression of where the team is at and ultimately that is what will see us drop away – maybe not necessarily this year but in coming years when those players retire.

Having said that, I don’t want to see our veterans coasting through games either and feeling assured of a spot in the side because of what they have achieved prior to 2015 regardless of what we are seeing from them this year. Every player who takes to the field has to be at the top of their game and if we aren’t seeing that then the coaching staff need to have the guts to make the call to reward those in the VFL who are playing well enough, whether it’s fringe 22 players like Murdoch or Blicavs through to veterans like Kelly or Mackie. Scott made some tough calls for the team in 2011 but seems to have shied away from doing so in-season since then, but they need to go back to what worked in 2011 and if the call needs to be made for the better of the team, then Scott has to make that call. But that will only work if our players in the VFL are stepping up their game; if we aren’t getting strong performances at that level it takes off a level of individual pressure for those in the senior side and allows players to feel safe with their spot.

I feel that if this year each week we can argue for 25 -> 30 guys who are genuinely deserving of a spot in the 22 then it will bode well for the team this year – if that number is only 20 -> 25 (or less) then the team will be in trouble.

Are you a footy tragic or a geelong tragic?

I’m definitely a Geelong tragic, but I would say that my family and friends would describe me as a footy tragic, and probably even a sports tragic/fanatic.

Geelong is in my blood, my love & passion for the club is part of who I am - I do my best to attend all of our Vic based games – during the season I’m happy to be the difficult friend who is unavailable when Geelong has a game on and allow footy to take priority where appropriate. Since getting Foxtel, it’s not uncommon to get home from the game and turn it to the reply – as long as we won. If we lost than I very rarely rewatch the full match, but I may watch parts of the game especially if there were parts of the game that for whatever reason I wanted see again where tv generally provides a different perspective to what you always see live. One of the most annoying things I find about the foxtel replays of the season over summer is that the Geelong games are rarely at a good time for me to watch them though.

I have probably always been something of a footy tragic though – come the cooler months of the year it was always the easiest option to put the footy on in the background when home or tune the radio to the different matches when in the car. I may not always sit down and watch a full game between 2 other teams as I would if Geelong is playing, but when a good match is on tv it doesn’t matter who is playing as I find it enjoyable to watch; this was especially true during the 4 years I spent at uni in Canberra where AFL wasn’t the dominant footy code on tv, so it was important to be able to enjoy watching any available match and not be too picky about not always getting access to Geelong games. I also tend to be the person in the family that gets asked questions about the different teams, how they are going, what’s happening with different coaches & injuries etc all season – so I find it easy to keep a round eye on what’s happening around the league so I can answer most questions asked of me.

I also find through that I can watch a variety of different sports and never get sick of doing so – there isn’t too much televised sport that I don’t enjoy watching. I spend my summer watching cricket, soccer, NFL, NBA and other random American College sports; I’ve got memberships across 4 different sporting codes and a couple of years ago I planned a trip to America for Xmas just to attend the NFL & NBA games – so something of a sports tragic that extends beyond footy.

What do you think of our 2014?

As for 2014, if you said to me at the start of the year that we would spend the year dealing with more early season ending injuries, late season injuries to required senior players, lack of recognised rucks come finals and not enough of our kids taking the next step to be putting the pressure on our veterans meaning we did have an over-reliance on a core group more often than not but accounting for all that we would make it to week 2 of the finals; I would have taken it.

Then once the season started and seeing what we were capable off when playing at our best, the way we ended the season was disappointing. We seem to get written off each year over the past few years with the “inevitable” fall, but we didn’t start like that where we were just going to be making up the numbers, and sure we were challenged over the first month or so but when we were challenged we seemed to answer the questions thrown at us and it seemed we still had that ability to put our foot down & put teams away when required. Unfortunately that didn’t last, and unlike previous years, when we lost we made sure we lost. During the season we won 17 games with an average winning margin of 28, but those 5 games we lost was at an average of 49 and that really shows not just how poor we were in those losses, but also how some of our wins where we did put the foot down was just masking our deficiencies rather than exposing them and emphasising what we needed to work on.

It was also frustrating that when we did lose we seemed to struggle to regroup and play in a manner that showed a loss was a hiccup and not the direction we were headed – from rounds 6 to 14 we lost 4 of our 8 games, and then at the end of the season we lost 3 of our last 4. To lose in clusters like that, and at the size of the defeats has been a foreign concept to the club for the best part of the last 10 years and I remember just shaking my head during some of our games wondering what were we doing (or not doing) and just not switched on.

It’s sad and frustrating and all mixed emotions that some of our best football for the season came in the last 10 minutes of the semi-final against North – it seemed that we finally switched on after underperforming over the previous 100minutes, and North didn’t seem to have an answer to how we played. We had seen earlier in the season that we had the ability to dominate matches when we wanted to, and we finally decided to bring the required intensity to the finals but it was too late.

As disappointing end to the season as it was, I believe there are positives to take from it and moving into 2015. We started to see what Caddy is really capable of when not interrupted by injury, Walker started to show at this level what he has shown at VFL level in that he can take the strong pack marks and kick goals, while Duncan elevated his performance across the season, just to name a few.
The important thing now is to build on those positives and not slip into bad habits of expecting others to pick up the slack.

It's a great point you make about the loses in clusters, everything seemed to happen in clusters last year... we got injuries in bunches and even in games we would concede a bunch of unanswered goals each week almost

Momentum was a defining feature of our year. In particular how we didn’t often enough take advantage when we had positive momentum within games and then also taking that into our next game, but more-so that when things were against us we didn’t seem to know how to stop the opposition or get things back on our terms.

It’s easy enough to be sitting in the stands or watching the game on tv and comment how Scott should have done this or that to stop the oppositions run, but a lot of it has to come down to the players when the opposition would take control for extended periods of a quarter within a game. We had enough senior, veteran players taking to the field each week to know that when we are struggling under mounting pressure from the opposition, that when we do get our hands on the ball we need to slow the game down and just control possession for 5 minutes – that sort of instruction shouldn’t have to come from the coach, especially with the experience we had in the side.

Hopefully we have learnt from that and when required played a restrained brand of footy rather than always being excessively attacking and needing to move the ball on at all times, even when it’s not working for us.

Who do you see as our most important player if we are to have a good '15 and why?

For me it’s 2 players – Simpson and/or McIntosh.

Our last couple of years, a big reason our finals series have been derailed is the lack of a recognised #1 ruck being fit and able to play, so instead we have had to go with stop gap measures and unfortunately that doesn’t tend to work too well in big matches, at big moments.

While it would be great to see Simpson able to play 22+ matches this year, more realistically I would rather see him play 15+ and be managed through the season to avoid fatigue and have him available for the important matches, especially finals.

If fit, Simpson would be my preferred choice as first ruck – especially if he can return to the promising form he was showing in 2013 and build from that, rather than the mixed form we saw from him last year. A fit McIntosh would also be great, not just because it would give us the option to play both rucks, although no sure how we would go with all of Simpson, McIntosh, Hawkins & Clark/Stanley/Blicavs/Vardy/Walker (or whatever combo we go with up forward), but to have the choice to swap selections based on if one of them needs a rest or break for management purposes. Then there is the hope that if both are fit, and both are in form (even if one is playing VFL), that it puts pressure on the other one to stand up and also perform and not just get comfortable that they have a spot in the 22 because of their size and role.

Guys like Walker & Blicavs have shown that they can assist in the ruck, and even Vardy had something of a break-out game in the ruck against the Saints in 2013 (when Simpson went down injured), but to me they aren’t ideal #1 rucks or where you want them predominately playing – instead I would rather see them with a focus elsewhere, and if needed play as a relief or #2 ruck. If come seasons end and finals time, it’s back to relying on those guys to be rucking for 120 minutes, then as a team we will be in trouble.

If we can keep one, but preferable both Simpson & McIntosh on the park for the duration of the year, that will go a long way to the team having a successful year.

Do you have much confidence in us keeping them on the park?

I believe we will see both of them in the seniors at different times this year, but not a great deal of confidence that both will be available at the same time and for extended periods of time, where they will be able to support each other and to also push the other to perform better. Considering how much time both guys have spent on the injury lists over recent years compared with actually time on the footy field, I don’t know if we can realistically expect either or both to suddenly run out 22+ games.

I have more confidence that we will see Simpson have some form of impact this year – you never want to see a player have 1 lot of back surgery, let alone the 3(?) lots that he has had, but this time he seems to have been able to rest and allow his back to fully recover before getting into his preseason and not feel rushed or urgency in return as can happen when players have surgery later in the pre-season or early in the new season; not saying clubs put pressure on the players to return, but that players can put that pressure on themselves.

I would rather see us manage Simpson’s workload through the first part of the season, making sure he has enough recovery time between games so that when he is playing consecutive matches he has the ability to impact each game and run them out to the end. That might mean giving him the odd week off, especially when we have interstate trips and the break either side of that game is only 6 days. We do have a tough start to the season, and while we want our best 22 out their each match to give us the best possible chance in every match, it will mean squat is our best prospect as a #1 ruck breaks down from being overworked.

McIntosh, I don’t know what we will see from him this year. I understand why the club went after him but I think they could have chased another out-of-favour ruck from any other club rather than take the risk they did because it hasn’t paid off. He might prove us all wrong and suddenly pull something out this year we weren’t expecting but I’m doubtful on that. I think except for being out injured all year, we will see him get a shot in the seniors at some stage this year, but I don’t expect a lot from him when we do – but I would love to be proved wrong.

And one last question, who is a player... that may be a bit of less than obvious choice that you have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of watching in your time and why?

I know he has been retired for a couple of years now, but a player I did enjoy watching and the type of player I believe we are missing from the team now is David Wojcinski.

While he was never a high disposal getter, he did improve in that area towards the end of his career but I don’t know if he ever got 30 disposals a game, but that wasn’t why he was in the team and it wasn’t what we expected from him. He knew where his strengths were and he played to them – to watch him get the ball on the half back line, then go on a run through the centre of the field, taking 2, 3 or 4 bounces and kick for goal, that is what we remember him for and one of the reasons why at least I loved watching him.

And I still remember that mark he took against the Pies in the final round of 2011 – dying stages of the first quarter, a great leap and put his knee almost into the back of Fasolo’s head.

Definitely a player I enjoyed watching and that is very much missed in retirement.

Thanks for your time
clip_image001.gif

Fair to say you are in my opinion one of the top posters on this board so I think people will enjoy this :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again, great insight and a great piece from both of you.

WEll done!

GO Catters

Superb job cats_09 and Willo_!

And completely agree that this is one of the most knowledgeable and underrated posters on BigFooty. An inspired choice for the inquisition!

What do you think of our 2014?

As for 2014, if you said to me at the start of the year that we would spend the year dealing with more early season ending injuries, late season injuries to required senior players, lack of recognised rucks come finals and not enough of our kids taking the next step to be putting the pressure on our veterans meaning we did have an over-reliance on a core group more often than not but accounting for all that we would make it to week 2 of the finals; I would have taken it.

Then once the season started and seeing what we were capable off when playing at our best, the way we ended the season was disappointing. We seem to get written off each year over the past few years with the “inevitable” fall, but we didn’t start like that where we were just going to be making up the numbers, and sure we were challenged over the first month or so but when we were challenged we seemed to answer the questions thrown at us and it seemed we still had that ability to put our foot down & put teams away when required. Unfortunately that didn’t last, and unlike previous years, when we lost we made sure we lost. During the season we won 17 games with an average winning margin of 28, but those 5 games we lost was at an average of 49 and that really shows not just how poor we were in those losses, but also how some of our wins where we did put the foot down was just masking our deficiencies rather than exposing them and emphasising what we needed to work on.

It was also frustrating that when we did lose we seemed to struggle to regroup and play in a manner that showed a loss was a hiccup and not the direction we were headed – from rounds 6 to 14 we lost 4 of our 8 games, and then at the end of the season we lost 3 of our last 4. To lose in clusters like that, and at the size of the defeats has been a foreign concept to the club for the best part of the last 10 years and I remember just shaking my head during some of our games wondering what were we doing (or not doing) and just not switched on.

It’s sad and frustrating and all mixed emotions that some of our best football for the season came in the last 10 minutes of the semi-final against North – it seemed that we finally switched on after underperforming over the previous 100minutes, and North didn’t seem to have an answer to how we played. We had seen earlier in the season that we had the ability to dominate matches when we wanted to, and we finally decided to bring the required intensity to the finals but it was too late.

As disappointing end to the season as it was, I believe there are positives to take from it and moving into 2015. We started to see what Caddy is really capable of when not interrupted by injury, Walker started to show at this level what he has shown at VFL level in that he can take the strong pack marks and kick goals, while Duncan elevated his performance across the season, just to name a few.
The important thing now is to build on those positives and not slip into bad habits of expecting others to pick up the slack.

It's a great point you make about the loses in clusters, everything seemed to happen in clusters last year... we got injuries in bunches and even in games we would concede a bunch of unanswered goals each week almost

Momentum was a defining feature of our year. In particular how we didn’t often enough take advantage when we had positive momentum within games and then also taking that into our next game, but more-so that when things were against us we didn’t seem to know how to stop the opposition or get things back on our terms.

It’s easy enough to be sitting in the stands or watching the game on tv and comment how Scott should have done this or that to stop the oppositions run, but a lot of it has to come down to the players when the opposition would take control for extended periods of a quarter within a game. We had enough senior, veteran players taking to the field each week to know that when we are struggling under mounting pressure from the opposition, that when we do get our hands on the ball we need to slow the game down and just control possession for 5 minutes – that sort of instruction shouldn’t have to come from the coach, especially with the experience we had in the side.

Hopefully we have learnt from that and when required played a restrained brand of footy rather than always being excessively attacking and needing to move the ball on at all times, even when it’s not working for us.

Who do you see as our most important player if we are to have a good '15 and why?

For me it’s 2 players – Simpson and/or McIntosh.

Our last couple of years, a big reason our finals series have been derailed is the lack of a recognised #1 ruck being fit and able to play, so instead we have had to go with stop gap measures and unfortunately that doesn’t tend to work too well in big matches, at big moments.

While it would be great to see Simpson able to play 22+ matches this year, more realistically I would rather see him play 15+ and be managed through the season to avoid fatigue and have him available for the important matches, especially finals.

If fit, Simpson would be my preferred choice as first ruck – especially if he can return to the promising form he was showing in 2013 and build from that, rather than the mixed form we saw from him last year. A fit McIntosh would also be great, not just because it would give us the option to play both rucks, although no sure how we would go with all of Simpson, McIntosh, Hawkins & Clark/Stanley/Blicavs/Vardy/Walker (or whatever combo we go with up forward), but to have the choice to swap selections based on if one of them needs a rest or break for management purposes. Then there is the hope that if both are fit, and both are in form (even if one is playing VFL), that it puts pressure on the other one to stand up and also perform and not just get comfortable that they have a spot in the 22 because of their size and role.

Guys like Walker & Blicavs have shown that they can assist in the ruck, and even Vardy had something of a break-out game in the ruck against the Saints in 2013 (when Simpson went down injured), but to me they aren’t ideal #1 rucks or where you want them predominately playing – instead I would rather see them with a focus elsewhere, and if needed play as a relief or #2 ruck. If come seasons end and finals time, it’s back to relying on those guys to be rucking for 120 minutes, then as a team we will be in trouble.

If we can keep one, but preferable both Simpson & McIntosh on the park for the duration of the year, that will go a long way to the team having a successful year.

Do you have much confidence in us keeping them on the park?

I believe we will see both of them in the seniors at different times this year, but not a great deal of confidence that both will be available at the same time and for extended periods of time, where they will be able to support each other and to also push the other to perform better. Considering how much time both guys have spent on the injury lists over recent years compared with actually time on the footy field, I don’t know if we can realistically expect either or both to suddenly run out 22+ games.

I have more confidence that we will see Simpson have some form of impact this year – you never want to see a player have 1 lot of back surgery, let alone the 3(?) lots that he has had, but this time he seems to have been able to rest and allow his back to fully recover before getting into his preseason and not feel rushed or urgency in return as can happen when players have surgery later in the pre-season or early in the new season; not saying clubs put pressure on the players to return, but that players can put that pressure on themselves.

I would rather see us manage Simpson’s workload through the first part of the season, making sure he has enough recovery time between games so that when he is playing consecutive matches he has the ability to impact each game and run them out to the end. That might mean giving him the odd week off, especially when we have interstate trips and the break either side of that game is only 6 days. We do have a tough start to the season, and while we want our best 22 out their each match to give us the best possible chance in every match, it will mean squat is our best prospect as a #1 ruck breaks down from being overworked.

McIntosh, I don’t know what we will see from him this year. I understand why the club went after him but I think they could have chased another out-of-favour ruck from any other club rather than take the risk they did because it hasn’t paid off. He might prove us all wrong and suddenly pull something out this year we weren’t expecting but I’m doubtful on that. I think except for being out injured all year, we will see him get a shot in the seniors at some stage this year, but I don’t expect a lot from him when we do – but I would love to be proved wrong.

And one last question, who is a player... that may be a bit of less than obvious choice that you have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of watching in your time and why?

I know he has been retired for a couple of years now, but a player I did enjoy watching and the type of player I believe we are missing from the team now is David Wojcinski.

While he was never a high disposal getter, he did improve in that area towards the end of his career but I don’t know if he ever got 30 disposals a game, but that wasn’t why he was in the team and it wasn’t what we expected from him. He knew where his strengths were and he played to them – to watch him get the ball on the half back line, then go on a run through the centre of the field, taking 2, 3 or 4 bounces and kick for goal, that is what we remember him for and one of the reasons why at least I loved watching him.

And I still remember that mark he took against the Pies in the final round of 2011 – dying stages of the first quarter, a great leap and put his knee almost into the back of Fasolo’s head.

Definitely a player I enjoyed watching and that is very much missed in retirement.

Thanks for your time
clip_image001.gif

Fair to say you are in my opinion one of the top posters on this board so I think people will enjoy this :)

Mentioning Menzel & Wojcinski :'(
But great interview as always!

Unfortunately not... yet to have one finished

Probably will be the last one when I do post it as well

Congratulations on a fantastic series and a mountain of work you have completed. A truly awesome off season experience and one that not only was a great read every week, but added to the quality of the board.

Job well done :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Now I want to see you top it for next year!

GO Catters

Congratulations on a fantastic series and a mountain of work you have completed. A truly awesome off season experience and one that not only was a great read every week, but added to the quality of the board.

Job well done :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Now I want to see you top it for next year!

GO Catters
Thanks Daz, really appreciate the kind words :)

Good Afternoon fellow Cats fans & opposition lurkers....

Today I bring a very special edition of the inquisition.... special due to the quality of the poster interviewed, and also as it is the last interview for this edition (and maybe forever if I can't be bothered down the track) :cry:

Before I post it I just want to thank everyone for the kind feedback and most importantly for taking the time to respond to me and for being such great interview subjects. There were a few interviews that sort of just fizzled out and I want to apologise to the people in that situation, I strugled for motivation for a bit around christmas and some interviews fell by the wayside... If season 2 does happen then those interviews will be my starting point.
But again thank you very much for everyone that happily participated and for being so open and honest with me (us)

Cheers all
Shane

Now enough of the soppy stuff and onto the finale....

Enjoy as I have a sit down with the one and only Pure_Ownage

So to start with, why the Cats for you?

A few reasons. My mum and most of my family members were big cats supporters growing up (even though we didn't live in Geelong). I think for me, even as a young kid the concept of 'one team town' really appealed to me, it's something unique that Geelong has that no other team in the afl has, the idea of the whole town supporting the team and investing their lives in the club, and when you to go to Geelong (this I see everytime I'm there now) that the mood of the town is directly linked to how the club is going, and on every street corner people display their support passionately and want to talk to you about it.

As a little kid (I was born in 85 so as a young kid it was a great time to be a Cats supporter-except the grand finals!) I also loved the way the team played, fast and exciting footy. For me the watermark of that was Ablett Snr, honestly I think he's still the best player I have ever seen and the leap and power he had was incredible. I remember as a little boy (we weren't well off financially at the time) when my mum got me a cats jumper for christmas (you know those ones you used to get from kmart that looked entirely the part but weren't the 'official licensed' apparel) and my grandma got the 5 and went to all this effort to sew it on, I loved that jumper, wore it all the time until I grew out of it.

I was forever trying to emulate snr, running down the loungeroom and trying to take speccies (laughs) on my sister and stepsister's heads, which was considering I am the youngest in the family and am a short guy, was like watching an mouse try to mount a camel. But honestly I loved him as a player, and he epitomised the way the club played footy. It was tough, but exciting and you wanted to be a part of it.

From there, as I became a teenager and now an adult, it was love of the club. The 90's GF's had me crying a lot but I loved the club by then, and always knew it would succeed eventually. I had friends that couldnt bear the finals losses and gave up their support but it didn't feel right for me, I got such excitement when my parents used to take me to games and when I started taking myself, even when we lose it's just a great club to support because of the way we play footy and the culture we have. For me that means I'll always support the club.

Have you found that your support has only intensified as you have gotten older?

In some ways, more probably as you get older you understand the game more than I did as a kid and it helps you become more immersed in it. This is one of the things that drew me to BF as I have enjoyed listening to the views of others who understand the game but see it from a different perspective than I do. It helps you see things you dont see yourself. I've also been able to as I've become an adult support the club more through membership, attendance, social media stuff, than I was able to do when I was younger.

But the passion I think is still the same, I love the club and the players with the same passion I did as a young kid, and I still find my mood for the week (laughs) is affected as much by a Geelong win or loss as it ever was. So that part stays the same.

Being a mod here you would no doubt see a difference in your workload after a loss compared to a win as well?

You bet (laughs), you don't know the half of it!. After a loss things tend to get testy on the board, always have a section of blame Varcoe, sack the coach sort of posts. I often find people tend to post more in the heat of the moment after a loss so it gives us mods more work to do. But we also get a lot of quality reasoned analysis so it balances out. I often find someone like catempire, though I don't always agree with him, posts his most insightful stuff after a loss, so it can bring good discussion too.

It's more the opposition trolls that make life difficult for us mods, particularly after a loss to certain clubs like Freo or Hawthorn or Collingwood it tends to bring the trolls out in large numbers. Sometimes it can be frustrating but when us mods are often at the games the main board mods do a great job of keeping our board relatively troll free, which we appreciate.

And what got you to bigfooty in the first place?

That 2008 grand final actually, I remember after the grand final I was just so downcast that I felt we had thrown such a great opportunity away and against the terrible enemy, that I needed somewhere, partly to vent but also to discuss ideas for improvement with. A friend mentioned to me the BF website that they had been on, and the rest is history.

I found the passion for the club amongst others was the same as mine and the discussion quality was better than most of the newspapers, so I stayed.

You were the poster of the year here in... 2011 from Memory? How did that make you feel?

At the time, kind of embarassed actually, I felt I was a fairly new poster who had passion but not the same depth of quality writing as some others. But it did mean a lot, I appreciated it and it reinforced why I joined BF, that being to discuss footy and make friends and bounce ideas of other people. It's great when people enjoy reading your opinions and you enjoy reading theirs equally as much.
It's a good community aspect of the place and to know that your peers enjoy chatting with you is great.

And then from that how was it stepping into the mod role?

I wasnt even thinking of it TBH. There was a vacancy and I was asked if I was interested and that was it. Was happy to help out as I have benefited a lot from the community and wanted to give back.

The mod role is good, at times it can be challenging mediating conflicts between posters while remaining objective at all times, and we find that the board can get invaded by opposition supporters after a loss. So there is often a few hours of post loss troll control, which to be honest helps me because it keeps me busy from my urge to post straight after a loss when I am frustrated, and I can come back more objective the next day. But honestly the main board mods do a great job helping when we are at the games (Messenger and grizzlym in particular are always on hand to help with troll control).

Honestly I don't do a whole heap of work and reckon I get more credit than I deserve. Someone like SJ who is one of my great mates outside of BF has been a mod for a lot longer than I and contibutes far more hours per week to a range of mod stuff, and deserves most of the credit. Along with Turbocat and Winty they are three great guys to work with.

Being a mod has probably given me more appreciation of just how much work the mods do behind the scenes to keep the board working well and a great community. And they give up time they could spend posting, which is what we all love, to do it, so it shows we do care about you all and thats why we do it.

Now onto the footy... you are a go to person for views on the drafts, what got you into that side of things and how much footy does it involve you watching?

Tbh when i was studying a journalism subject at uni a few years ago we had to interview someone in sports for a major assigment.a friend of mine interviewed one of his friends who had recently been drafted by richmond in 09.the way he spokeof the mental struggle of going from school to the profesionalism of full time footy made me realise the challenge for tac cup kids.

I liked junior footy before that but it gave me more of an interest.

I have seen less this year than in years gone by due to family commitments.i try and get to 3 or 4 champs games and did so this year but outside of that its any footage i can get or vfl/sanfl footy for the kids who play under the 23rd player rule or senior state footy as with gore this year.

I dont watch anywhere near as much as knightmare though,we have some outstanding junior talent spotters on bf who are way above my abilities.

So how do you rate our last few drafts?

I think they have been good.on the whole i have been a bit concerned about our taking players coming off major injuries (smedts,lang,cockatoo)which i think creates list management issues but to be fair its not a solely drafting issue e.g. if we hadnt traded in injury prone players as well the risk would be less across the whole list. But its an understandable way to draft for value when we usually have late picks.

That aside geelongs talent id and development is second to none.i also really value the fact that geelong has drafted heavily for character and work rate and leadership abilities.

And you mentioned trading in injury prone players... what do you make of our trading the last few years? Does it compliment our drafting or is it a bit too high risk/reward?

I think in general our trading is good, for example I know a lot of fans were nervous about giving up the comp pick for Caddy, but I think picks 15 and 55 (which is what we gave up) will turn out to be a steal.

I can also understand McIntosh given how badly we needed a ruckman after Ottens left, and Rivers has been super.

But guys like McIntosh and Clark are injury prone, what I would say is in isolation the trades are ok but there's a limit to how much risk you want across the whole list, to me if I was the list manager and I wanted to trade in that many injury prone guys, I would cut some existing injury prone guys like Cowan, to balance out the risk. But thats just my opinion.

and what are your thoughts about how we have handled/managed the transition with our older players?

I think we have handled it well, it's not perfect but you see how badly it can be done with Brisbane post 2004 and St Kilda recently and you appreciate that while CS is not perfect, he has been a very good coach in this regard. The fact that from the start he made calls on including youngsters in the team from early 2011 onwards and stuck with them, and made hard calls like Mooney/Milburn/Byrnes ones, was the right way to go. Undeniably we are developing quality youth like Duncan, Caddy (Christensen was too) Guthrie and Horlin Smith as well as Murdoch, and Menzel and Vardy I think would have been great successes if not injured. Probably the only thing I wish in the last two finals series is that we had rested the veterans more during the year with younger players filling those spots, as I felt some of the vets were tired in finals and played poorly and it hurt us. But to be fair the coach was handicapped in that by our extensive injury list and injuries at bad times to players like Hmac, Johnson etc.
Undeniably the future is sustainable due to the club recruiting and developing good young players without high picks, and for the coaches in playing them and backing them in.
I'd much rather be Geelong than St Kilda thats for sure.

and with CS making the decisions he did at the end of 2013? Particuarly given the love you had for one of the players moved on...

I think he made the right decisions. While I don't probably have the same love the match committee has for Vardy I can see the rationale that he and Walker and Kersten needed to get opportunities that they wouldnt have got if Pods was here. So I think we got that right. I still thought at the time that Pods was playing afl standard footy and he showed that this year so glad to see him get 100 at Adelaide. Corey was definitely done and while CS copped a lot of flack over Chapman, I dont think he actually wanted him gone, it was more that a 31 yo with his injury history could not reasonably be offered the 2 year contract he wanted, I think the club made the right call.

I didn't agree with West although that was less about thinking him as a really good talent and more about if the club didn't want him he needed to be traded 12 months earlier (2012) when he had real trade value, and you could say they made the same mistake with Hunt this year. I think one area we could get better is being more aggressive at trading players we dont think we need and extracting value from them, Hawthorn has done well with this at the Renouf for Hill trade and what they got for Lisle, and even Cheney and Lowden. It's something we could improve it.

While I don't agree with all the individual player decisions in general CS has got it right with not holding onto all the younger players and moving some on to create opportunities for younger players. I don't think this would have happened as much had Thompson stayed in charge.

Was 2014 a failure a success or about what you expected from us?

It's hard to rate because the North game sticks in my mouth, simply because we were all over them at the end and just ran out of time to make up the deficit, it's a case of what might have been if we hadn't started so poorly, to start that poorly in such an important final is terrible. So that clouds my view of the whole year until we play again.

But that aside I am a realist and I think we had a good year. I want us to win every year, and just as importantly I hate Hawthorn winning! but you have to look at the total picture. With the age profile of our list, where we have basically no players in the 24-27 prime age group where you get peak performance apart from Selwood and Hawkins (Varcoe was the other one but he wasn't giving us great output which is part of the reason why he is no longer here) to make top 4 yet again is a fantastic achievement. Arguably we are overachieving given the age profile of the list you would expect us to not be contending, yet we have every year since 2007. Look at how sides like St Kilda and Brisbane have gone and how many years they have spent in the bottom six since their key players retired and you see what an achievement it is by our group to stay finals bound given the players we have lost since 2011.

The future also looks pretty sustainable to me, Duncan is a great player and a leader, Caddy took massive steps forward under Scott this year and will become an A grade player, Motlop already is, Guthrie is developing very well as are Murdoch and Blicavs and I think Bews and Thurlow will also be very good players. You have to give credit to the coaches for this as these guys have been well developed.

That said I cant help feeling that with more retirements in the next 1-2 years we may have recently blown our best chances to win a flag for a few years and it sticks with me. The prelim in 2013 to be that far up with a quarter left and lose it, and the North game I think we could have gone a long way if we won it considering how close we were to Hawthorn a week before while having to sub out an injured ruckman and so not being able to sub out Johnson who was on one leg, compared to the witches hats stuff Sydney served up on GF day. So that frustrates me, but I think on the whole if I am being realistic, 2014 was a success.

You mentioned the coaches there.... are you happy with the of field side of things at the club?

absolutely, I think Cook and Carter are as good administrators as you will find anywhere across the league, and when you look at the parlous financial position we were in when I was a kid, compared to the stadium redevelopment we have and our strong financial position now, and I think they've done a great job.

as far as the coaches I think all the reports are that we are building a great culture, the academy is well run and our vfl setup within it is fantastic, most of the young players speak well about the good and open communication they get from knights (I know he is with the afl program now but he has been great for the academy kids) and the same good communication from Scott and his assistants. I think culturally the place is running great and the whole team is developing a club where players feel valued and want to be.

How do you see the next few years panning out for us?

Look I think this year we can still contend, I think we will finish somewhere in the 8 and possibly top 4 if we play well and have a good run with injury.

The way I see it while Varcoe was a good player and a nice guy and I am sad to see him go, the last 2 years he wasn't the same player he was pre 2012/pre shoulder injuries, natural improvement from players like Lang should be able to fill his role. Clark is a high risk gamble but if he stays fit he will solve a massive hole for us and we will be well in front on that trade. While Christensen is a super player he was injured the majority of last year and we made top 4 so there's no reason we can't again. Whether we go beyond just making finals to actually winning a flag for me depends on Stanley, because I don't trust our other rucks when it comes to not getting injured, and we won't win the flag with Blicavs as our lead ruck.

Long term I think the future is sustainable, we won't do a St Kilda partly because our list is better but mainly because of our player development and culture. I think we will make finals most of the next few years. But I do think this year is our last realistic shot at a flag for a while, mainly because I think in 2-3 years it will be very hard for anyone to beat GC/GWS with the quality of young talent they have been gifted through high draft picks. But I think in 3-4 years when you have Caddy, Duncan, Guthrie and a few others in that prime 27-28 age group, we will be a genuine shot at a flag again, and in the meanwhile we will continue to be competitive, which is one of the things I love about our club.

I should add that I think this year's trade period is crucial for our near future, while I think after this year our 'window' to get a flag closed for the next 3 years or so, if we get Dangerfield and Scooter and possibly a decent ruckman (or Stanley becomes one) then that puts us right back in contention.

Are we being greedy suggesting Danger AND Scooter? Or wishful thinking?

I don't think we are being greedy. Without going through all our departures since 2011, and our likely retirements this year, it's pretty obvious we have cap room, and we cleared more cap this year with Varcoe and Bundy going out vs Clark and Stanley coming on on less money than what the other two were on, so we definitely have the cap room for two good free agents.

And both, Selwood through his two brothers here and Dangerfield through his fiance's family, have pretty significant ties to the club, and both have good reasons to leave their current clubs for a club in flag contention.

So it's definitely feasible, but it depends largely on how we go this year, if we aren't up near the top of the ladder again or we drop off, we won't be attracting any good free agents.

What has been your highlight as a cats fan and why... and you can't give a general answer like 'all 3 premierships'

For me the top has to be the flag in 2007, not the flag itself, as great as the day was, but seeing the people embrace each other and the club and seeing how much it meant to them. I remember going to Geelong to see when they brought the cup back and so many people were just in tears, people who had waited decades for it. For a kid who spent his years as a young boy getting excited and hopeful about each of our GF's in the 90s, and then being crestfallen afterwards, it meant a lot to me, but I could multiply that tenfold for people who'd been waiting a lot longer than I had to.

And what is your favorite cats memory as a kid?

It's hard to narrow to one because there's so many (some painful) but I think Ablett's goal after the siren to win the 94 prelim was something I still remember to this day, all the yelling and cheering in our loungeroom, the whole game we thought we would lose it, and then at the last moment the joy. Pity we couldnt win the week after it though.

Thanks very much for your time mate

The points about comparing the falls from grace of St Kilda and Brisbane with our record of staying up there is a great one. Every now and then I need to remind myself of this.

Great interview again guys. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back