Cloke Intentional Kick to Smiths Face

Remove this Banner Ad

Not even looked at. Neither was Elliott's hit on Sam. Varco gets a fine, which is fair.
Bloody double standards. AFL.
Elliot's was looked at:
Contact between Collingwood’s Jamie Elliott and Hawthorn’s Sam Mitchell from the third quarter of Friday’s match was assessed. The ball was bounced and Mitchell was away from the contest. Elliott comes towards the area of the ball and Mitchell steps to his left into the path of the Collingwood player. Elliott made contact to Mitchell’s back and he went to ground. It was the view of the panel a free kick should have been paid if the contact had been seen but the force used was below that required to constitute a report. No further action was taken.

Which makes the omission of Clokes hit so questionable. It drew blood requiring stitches FSS and not a word.

Elliot's was looked at:
Contact between Collingwood’s Jamie Elliott and Hawthorn’s Sam Mitchell from the third quarter of Friday’s match was assessed. The ball was bounced and Mitchell was away from the contest. Elliott comes towards the area of the ball and Mitchell steps to his left into the path of the Collingwood player. Elliott made contact to Mitchell’s back and he went to ground. It was the view of the panel a free kick should have been paid if the contact had been seen but the force used was below that required to constitute a report. No further action was taken.

Which makes the omission of Clokes hit so questionable. It drew blood requiring stitches FSS and not a word.
How did I miss that?

Played the game and he kicked him in the face???? Can't believe how many people can't see he kicked out?
Fair enough. Watching it in real time, the idea that in a split-second someone with Trav Cloke's foot-eye coordination lined up Izzy's face and disguised it by raising his other leg seems ridiculous to me, but each to their own.

Fair enough. Watching it in real time, the idea that in a split-second someone with Trav Cloke's foot-eye coordination lined up Izzy's face and disguised it by raising his other leg seems ridiculous to me, but each to their own.
You make a valid point. If Cloke meant to hit Izzy that sweet then there was no excuse for kicking 1.4.

someone with Trav Cloke's foot-eye coordination lined up Izzy's face and disguised it by raising his other leg seems ridiculous to me

No-one is saying he lined up anything, other than Izzy. That the kick hit Smith's face was accidental, but Cloke was clearly trying to make contact with him to block his run. It's not one action, he has his eye on smith, it's a reflex that as others have pointed out, you see guys do when trying to reach a guy going round them.

It's also the kind of thing that would have cost Hawks players a match or 3. As others have pointed out, if it was Campbell Brown it would he would have copped a month.

Not very consistent imo.

I really don't think Cloke set out to hurt Smith deliberately.
Good that he wasn't sighted.

That said, I'm glad it wasn't Brian Lake or we'd have Mortal Kombatgate.

Also it has the potential to cause injury (and did). Lewis must be wondering what the heck is going on.

More to the point....The media would have been all over it & demanded 3-4 weeks, by creating a saturation-coverage s**t-storm.

It needed some Brian Taylor hysteria to get the media going!

However, I suspect that someone has had a few words with BT, he's not so stupidly over the top with nonsense for every incident.

Just watched the replay and Smith and Cloke were talking after the game and Izzy was laughing posting at his face and Cloke was looking very confused so maybe Cloke didn't even realise he'd done it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but Cloke was clearly trying to make contact with him to block his run. It's not one action, he has his eye on smith, it's a reflex that as others have pointed out, you see guys do when trying to reach a guy going round them.

It's also the kind of thing that would have cost Hawks players a match or 3. As others have pointed out, if it was Campbell Brown it would he would have copped a month.

Not very consistent imo.

Personally I don't think it's at all clear that Cloke was trying to block Smith's run. Looked to me that he was trying to get off his back, but everyone sees these things differently.

As to how much it would've cost a Hawks player, that's a worse argument to me. Numerous stupid decisions don't justify more. I would prefer to see off-the-ball crap like Elliot's bump on Mitchell under the microscope.

Just watched the replay and Smith and Cloke were talking after the game and Izzy was laughing posting at his face and Cloke was looking very confused so maybe Cloke didn't even realise he'd done it.

How can you tell?....Even if cited he'd just revert back to the ole smoke & mirrors defense.:confused:

As to how much it would've cost a Hawks player, that's a worse argument to me.
Numerous stupid decisions don't justify more. I would prefer to see off-the-ball crap like Elliot's bump on Mitchell under the microscope.

Trouble is....We have numerous pre-requisite incidents which says otherwise!o_O

I think you've missed my point. I'm not disputing that we get a few bad calls from the MRP/tribunal. Doesn't mean I want to see other teams/players cop the same.

NO, I got that part....Campbell Brown copped 2-3 weeks for a very similar incident....But you won't see the media or MRP granting him - or any other Hawthorn player - the good grace of the benefit of the doubt, of it being 'accidental'/'incidental'.... As has clearly been warranted in this instance.

INTENTIONAL 'Malice' always seems the domain of Hawk players alone!....It's like Brown/Gold equates to a bad/guilty conscience.

Personally I don't think it's at all clear that Cloke was trying to block Smith's run. Looked to me that he was trying to get off his back, but everyone sees these things differently.

As to how much it would've cost a Hawks player, that's a worse argument to me. Numerous stupid decisions don't justify more. I would prefer to see off-the-ball crap like Elliot's bump on Mitchell under the microscope.

This.

The double standards and extreme inconsistency with the penalties being handed out leaves a bloody lot to be desired.

Get it right you MRP dimwits. Is it any wonder that some are saying the sport is corrupt?

Last edited:
I like to ask myself, what would Lewis get?

I've got one of those wristbands, WWLG, it's a great source of hope to me whenever I've done anything wrong and I think 'this could be bad' but then I look at my wrist and am comforted by the knowledge that it could be worse.

There's a whole range of them, here's the more popular 'What Would Jordan Do' one but I don't need that as I know the answer, he'd give them a crack in the chops and cop 3 weeks.

Attachments

• WWJD.jpg
    WWJD.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 4
After Buckley's complaints about Trav getting a raw deal -- the umps have gone 360 degrees now -- he can get away with anything

Kick to the face -- check.
Stiff arm to the face -- check.
Grabbing a player without the ball and throwing him away -- check

Immune to any MRP scrutiny -- check

:oops: - quoting myself -- check.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back