Opinion How do we beat Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond did their homework on Smith and Hill. Shut those two down and you essentially shut out Hawthorn's outside run and carry. West Coast will maul us.

I don't even want to think about what Natanui will do to Hale and McEvoy. :oops:

Richmond did their homework on Smith and Hill. Shut those two down and you essentially shut out Hawthorn's outside run and carry. West Coast will maul us.

I don't even want to think about what Natanui will do to Hale and McEvoy. :oops:
Yeah I don't know why teams haven't tried harder to stop the run of gaff and masten both are critical to our setup

Yeah I don't know why teams haven't tried harder to stop the run of gaff and masten both are critical to our setup

Not sure on Masten, but every time I've seen the Eagles play both Gaff and Sheed are the Eagles main run and carry players. Andrew Gaff is hard to tag, whilst Sheed plays his role in the Eagles side beautifully.

Not sure on Masten, but every time I've seen the Eagles play both Gaff and Sheed are the Eagles main run and carry players. Andrew Gaff is hard to tag, whilst Sheed plays his role in the Eagles side beautifully.
Good points but I think you will find sheed spends more time in the coal face then on the outside

I really hope that the tiger's don't beat hawthorn tonight. The Hawks will want a top 2 spot, and if they lose tonight then next week is a must win for them.

The best we can hope for tonight is a bruising encounter that is tight for 3 and a half quarters, with hawthorn winning comfortably in the end by 4-5 goals.
Disagree Macca, the best result for us is hawks to lose, and want to come at us with everything they have. We get to play the best of the rest. The real strengths of the eagles is not drawing attention. We are a very even team right across the board. That is our real strength, plus nic nat and priddis. We can beat them at domain.
The other thing I saw last night was richmonds midfield matched the hawks midfield. And we are winning games because our midfield is stepping up and starting to punish other sides by scoring goals with assists from NicNat and Priddis.
In fact the whole team is sharing goals. Top two is ours for the taking. The eagles don't know how good they are yet.
We are going to find out over the next few months,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We might have been thinking too much about the Hawks tonight and dropped the ball..

Hard to explain that performance. very un-Eagles like for this year.
I'm certainly hoping that this is the case, otherwise it could mean teams have found out how to dismantle our 'Weagles Web' and thus our players have started to have panicked disposal ala the last couple of years. I think good coaches will have counters for it. I certainly believe the likes of Clarko and Ross Lyon would have answers. Over the next few weeks we will learns a lot about our current list and group but most of all we'll learn heaps on Simpson. I hope he has something special in store.

Do everything we didn't do tonight and the Hawks will be easy picking. It's not like this team had done much wrong before tonight, anyway.

Tonight's result might prove to be a nice kick up the arse we need.

Freo game Mk II.

Just need to lose again against the Saints in Rd 23 and the GF is all but ours.

Did anyone else notice how many s**t throw it on the boot 50m up 30 forwards we had - straight to the opposition .....

Yep. To GC's credit they used their player's pace to ensure they could close down our run and they just kept constant pressure on. We didn't shank many kicks which weren't under pressure, it's just that most of them were.

Rosa, Hutchings, Selwood are not good enough under pressure to be in the side ATM. And as much as I love him, Yeo's kicking is Fyfe-like, even if his positives are similar too it still hurt last night.

Sheed was one of our better performers but I'm still worried about what happens in 2 years after Priddis retires if we don't have Selwood to take his spot. May actually need to recruit a more inside player. Or put Yeo there more since his kicking isn't his strong suite anyway.

Hawks will try and make it a shootout, And will probably get the better of us if that happens !! Would be a exciting game to watch if it happens tho

Last edited:
Freo game Mk II.

Just need to lose again against the Saints in Rd 23 and the GF is all but ours.

Yep. To GC's credit they used their player's pace to ensure they could close down our run and they just kept constant pressure on. We didn't shank many kicks which weren't under pressure, it's just that most of them were.

Rosa, Hutchings, Selwood are not good enough under pressure to be in the side ATM. And as much as I love him, Yeo's kicking is Fyfe-like, even if his positives are similar too it still hurt last night.

Sheed was one of our better performers but I'm still worried about what happens in 2 years after Priddis retires if we don't have Selwood to take his spot. May actually need to recruit a more inside player. Or put Yeo there more since his kicking isn't his strong suite anyway.

I See Waterman coming into the team when Priddis gets delisted oops I mean retires .

Not like that

So much entitlement going on I thought bronwyn bishop had been invited

Looked like we wemre already planning next week.

Stopped playing team football and thought we just needed to turn up to get the four points.

The players should have a good hard look at themselves in the mirror after that crap.

Selfish football. Not chasing, tackling or passing to other forwards in the clear better positions. A couple of times forward went for goals themselves when easy passes were on offer to a teammate in the clear.

Against the Hawks we need to tighten the web, too much space left open against the Suns due to lack of effort and lack of pressure on the ball carrier.

Shut down Hill and Smith because running hard through the web is how its beaten.

And FFS do not bomb the ball long and high to our forwards, pin point 20 to 40m passes to someone leading. And then kick straight.:mad:

I'm certainly hoping that this is the case, otherwise it could mean teams have found out how to dismantle our 'Weagles Web' and thus our players have started to have panicked disposal ala the last couple of years. I think good coaches will have counters for it. I certainly believe the likes of Clarko and Ross Lyon would have answers. Over the next few weeks we will learns a lot about our current list and group but most of all we'll learn heaps on Simpson. I hope he has something special in store.

This is happening most definitely. Look at the Swans in the last quarter and the Sun all night.

Put pressure on our players and when they get it run and carry the ball and don't kick long until you get close to the forward 50 and even then lower your eyes and find a shorter option in the space the web provides.

If anyone knows this its Hawthorn and Clarkson,he invented the Cluster remember.

So they know how to dismantle it and we know they know how they need to play. Our web needs to be tighter and closer to the ball carrier. A tight web 60m ahead of the ball carrier with no gaps to pin point 15m passes. Need to be ready for the switch.

We need to get back to that pressure and forward press that has got us to 2nd spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back