MMA-UFC UFC 191 - Dodson v Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
190 is in the books, Ronda adding yet another chapter to her amazing MMA story. Next up is 191, a whole month away and with some work for the UFC to do to pad out the card. On paper this one looks paper thin on names and widespread appeal but obviously for the tragics there is alot to like.

Flyweight Demetrious Johnson (c) vs. John Dodson
Heavyweight Andrei Arlovski vs Frank Mir
Light Heavyweight Anthony Johnson vs. Jimi Manuwa
Light Heavyweight Jan Błachowicz vs. Corey Anderson
Women's Strawweight Paige VanZant vs. Alex Chambers
Bantamweight Francisco Rivera vs. John Lineker
Lightweight Joaquim Silva vs. Nazareno Malegarie

Highlights
I personally find Mighty Mouse a little dull but there is no getting around the fact he is a dominant force at 125. At the very least his wife in the front row doing her best shreiking sheik impression is worth watching for.
The Pitbull and Frank Meeeeeeeewer, 10 years ago this fight would have been the hottest thing in town, everything old is new again. The fight doesnt really make alot of sense to me from a stats point of view (Arlovski has won his last 5 and 2 of those were against ranked heavyweights, Mir is 2 from his last 6 and his last win was against Todd Duffee) but it will be good watching
PvZ and Chambers, PvZ is the hottest commodity in MMA right now and is being gifted a fight with Chambers who won her last fight in Adelaide on a gifted armbar from Kailin Curran who clearly doesnt even know how to spell Jiu Jitsu (not even joking most of us thought it was a fix)

This is September 5 (6 for us) and Mir fighting just over 7 weeks since he fought Duffee. While Arlovski seemed past it until his last fight or two, this does seem like a large jump up the food chain for Frank. I wouldn't be upset or surprised to see either of them win, or to see the winner or loser to fight Fedor.

Both PVZ and AJ should enjoy tune up fights for bigger and better things.

Nothing suspect about Curran losing like she did to Chambers. Typical loss by submission for a young fighter to a more experienced and better grappler. Having said that, VanZant should win this.

I think Mighty Mouse wins this way more comfortably than the first time.

Hopefully Arlovski wins. I'd favour Arlovski to win, but I'm almost always wrong about who's going to win heavyweight fights.

Rumble/Manuwa is a good fight. Rumble will be the clear favourite, but Manuwa could hurt him.

Rivera/Lineker is pretty much the most fun a fight can be on paper.

Nothing suspect about Curran losing like she did to Chambers. Typical loss by submission for a young fighter to a more experienced and better grappler. Having said that, VanZant should win this.

I was half joking but it seriously was a stupid loss, she was dominating the fight then literally gave up her arm, pretty much threw it into Chambers guard. There is sloppy then there is absurd, this was the latter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder what it is about DJ that seems to get him overlooked? is it simply because he's not very 'controversial' or is it because the flyweight division just doesn't have too much hype surrounding it.
Both, size as well I love the flyweights but numbers will be low

Seen people saying that the card's great except for the main event. That makes no sense to me. What's wrong with the main event?

Dodson has a round or two to land a big shot and put Johnson away. After that it'll be all Johnson. I think Johnson wins it more comfortably than he did the first time.

I think a lot of the lack of excitement for Flyweight is because nobody cares about Demetrious Johnson for whatever reason, and there's nobody else in the division that generates much buzz either. Being as small as they are would play a part, as there's people who I've noticed say they only watch MW and up. I think if someone in the division was a big s**t talker, that could get a lot of attention, there'd be buzz even with some people hating the lighter weight classes.

Fighters becoming big draws is a weird thing. Why does anyone care about Kimbo Slice? Jorge Masvidal is the legit version of him and nobody seems to care about him.

The UFC doesn't seem to care about DJ not bringing in many viewers. The UFC haven't put any effort into helping to build him up. He's fast and he's the P4P best is all they come up with, because he's not the type of person that the UFC can easily sell. Jones and Gustafsson was sold as they're tall and have long reaches. That was the best they could come up with?

The fighters that basically sell themselves, like Rousey and McGregor, get that extra push that lifts their numbers up. Everyone else hardly gets promoted as they'd rather focus on the big draws.

Couldn't the UFC do something with DJ? He loves video games. Isn't there something they could do there that would get more eyeballs on his fights?

People say that DJ is boring out of the cage. He comes across great in this interview and most times I hear him talk.

I think a lot of the lack of excitement for Flyweight is because nobody cares about Demetrious Johnson for whatever reason, and there's nobody else in the division that generates much buzz either. Being as small as they are would play a part, as there's people who I've noticed say they only watch MW and up. I think if someone in the division was a big s**t talker, that could get a lot of attention, there'd be buzz even with some people hating the lighter weight classes.

Fighters becoming big draws is a weird thing. Why does anyone care about Kimbo Slice? Jorge Masvidal is the legit version of him and nobody seems to care about him.

The UFC doesn't seem to care about DJ not bringing in many viewers. The UFC haven't put any effort into helping to build him up. He's fast and he's the P4P best is all they come up with, because he's not the type of person that the UFC can easily sell. Jones and Gustafsson was sold as they're tall and have long reaches. That was the best they could come up with?

The fighters that basically sell themselves, like Rousey and McGregor, get that extra push that lifts their numbers up. Everyone else hardly gets promoted as they'd rather focus on the big draws.

Couldn't the UFC do something with DJ? He loves video games. Isn't there something they could do there that would get more eyeballs on his fights?

People say that DJ is boring out of the cage. He comes across great in this interview and most times I hear him talk.

Thats the thing he does come across as great outside, He is one of the most interesting guys to listen to its his size. you know what he needs to jump on fighter and the kid and see how he goes from there. I listen to the show at time I enjoy it but man they are getting way to much power lol and say, its like the Oprah effect

Personally think it has to do with the fact that the flys are very technical (fighting style) division....No power and with the huge influx of fans in recent times with the blood thirsty mindset dont find them entertaining.

Just a theory...

Alex Chambers is a bit of a cutie in the new Embedded video. Would love her to carve a hole in Paige's head.

Also, check out the 5 minute mark in the new Embedded video. Mir is doing some weird arse visualisation s**t. One of the funnier things I've seen in MMA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back