2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am more pissed off with the club TBH. Something was definitely up when beams made his intention to come north last year. Pickers flew to SA to see aishs parents for a 'catch up'. How bullshit is that. If the club was told last trade period thst aish wanted to get there and we flat out refused threw sheer stubborness or to set an example it will really start to test my patience. Seriously could of been aish + 25 for beams. We would still have crisp and pick 5. If thats how it happened i will not be happy. Not that aish wants out cause lets face it he was never going to stay but the fact this club ha shot themselves (us) in the foot by not making it work last trade period.
Just on that, should we take a different approach list management wise. Say we have a 1st round pick and all of the top 20 draft prospects wouldn't mind playing for Brisbane, but aren't really keen on it either. Should we change our approach and basically trade for the best player or players available with our first round pick that suits our needs.

For example, say during Aishes draft year (2013), the club had doubts that all the top 20 draft prospects wanted to be long term players for the club.
Should we of targeted players like one or multiple of Heath Shaw, Bernie Vince, Shane Savage, Josh Bruce and Everitt with our pick 7?

Also should we draft more players that want to be at our club, but aren't rated so highly. An example would be Clayton Oliver in this years draft, who barracks for Brisbane and his favourite player is Tom Rockliff. Say we have pick 17, but rate Oliver around pick 25, should we draft him as the club is convinced that he will be a long term player or go for a highly rated teenager who the club thinks will be a better player like a Harley Balic, but have doubts about the player staying at Brisbane long term?

Last edited:
A move to Brisbane seems like it would be a poor one for Casboult. Carlton have zero key forwards behind him and he would be quite likely to hold down a spot for the next half dozen years or so there. He's definitely a required player with a role suited to him.
We would have Close, Freeman, McStay, Scache and Hipwood developing behind him and while Casboult would surely get a gig for one, two, maybe three years in our starting team, if those guys come on somewhere near the level I expect them to then Casboult will be depth only when we hit our peak.

We could offer similar money to what Carlton could and he's a contracted Victorian with seemingly good character. Nothing points to any benefit in him moving north.
Maybe he really rates our list, loves Queensland, is best mates with Tom Bell or desperately wants to abandon Carlton's sinking ship, but it seems very illogical and unlikely to me.

From our end, I can definitely see the logic in bringing him here but don't see it as a trade we desperately need to do. I hope we don't make rash list management decisions based on a season in which Close, Scache and Hipwood- three talented KPPs who will see some game time next year- were not at the club/able to play. Then there's West, Merrett and maybe Astbury, who were either injured most of the year or not at the club, who could provide some of the maturity we lack up forward. There's the natural development of McStay and Freeman (injured most of the year) too. The KPF situation will be far better this year regardless of Casboult or any other traded in player.

The landscape has changed in the AFL. We could offer Casboult a nice 4 year front loaded contract
I would be keen on him, but 4 years would be a very risky deal by the club. In four years time I would think McStay and Freeman could be ahead of him and Schache (if we draft him) will start finding his feet. Although, it would be nice for a young tall forward not to take the number one defender each week.

I would be keen on him, but 4 years would be a very risky deal by the club. In four years time I would think McStay and Freeman could be ahead of him and Schache (if we draft him) will start finding his feet. Although, it would be nice for a young tall forward not to take the number one defender each week.
That'd be great if they were. That's why we front load the contract to keep space in the cap for our younger more talented players. Casboult could even develop more for us.

That'd be great if they were. That's why we front load the contract to keep space in the cap for our younger more talented players. Casboult could even develop more for us.
Yes, I get the point of front-loading it, but I still believe 4 years is too long. IIRC correctly we gave Bundy 4 years, but he was a premiership player, Casboult has never kicked over 30 goals in a season, 3 years for me.

Yes, I get the point of front-loading it, but I still believe 4 years is too long. IIRC correctly we gave Bundy 4 years, but he was a premiership player, Casboult has never kicked over 30 goals in a season, 3 years for me.
We are desperate for mature kpf. I think 4 years is fair if the money is reasonable

With Mike Pyke from the swans expected to retire at the swans BnF this year, surely there appeal is much grater for Luey than the Dons. If they only offer 450K, how about we match it and trade for the first rounder, pick 14 i think it is, would be better than any compo we would get from the AFL and i really don't think the swans could afford to not do that.

With Mike Pyke from the swans expected to retire at the swans BnF this year, surely there appeal is much grater for Luey than the Dons. If they only offer 450K, how about we match it and trade for the first rounder, pick 14 i think it is, would be better than any compo we would get from the AFL and i really don't think the swans could afford to not do that.
$450k should still get us band 3 compo so we will have another 2nd round pick to play with. No way will Sydney give up pick 14 for Leuey.

This possibly should be in the hypotheticals thread but we might end up with a glut of picks around the twenties. 17 (Redden-WC), 22, 23 (Luey compo), 26 + 28 (Aish-Coll). If it plays out to something like this hen I hope that the club can maximise as best as possible. I think we would only need two of those for Keays and Hipwood (as well as later picks) leaving us three to either trade up the draft or to acquire trades from other clubs. One of those will be for Bell and as we all know there is a small chance for Casboult as well so it might take the highest of those to facilitate that. This still leaves us with two picks and you would think that we could use those for more trades. It's not all doom and gloom for me even though there are very high levels of frustration but we have proven to make the best out of a bad situation and I think that we can do that again.

Refusing to trade him then, and refusing to trade him now. What's the difference?

By the way, if Crisp wasn't at Collingwood this year, he would be at Essendon.

TBD what is your take on the Aish situation?

Would you rather we make it a line in the sand moment and make him walk to the draft? Or take the unders that Collingwood offer?

Would you rather we make it a line in the sand moment and make him walk to the draft? Or take the unders that Collingwood offer?
Carlton are the beneficiaries if he walks.

Can't see how the Pies could come up with anything to tempt Brisbane on the trade as they will have to give up a lot for Treloar. If they offered up Sidebottom, you would have to start listening. Maybe Frost and second rounder might get you to the table, but don't take unders from them.

P.S. Sorry about the Docherty trade

If Collingwood offer a good deal (not a GH5 deal), we should take it. In the mean time, I have little issue with the club's stance, if it helps dominate the news cycle and ram our point home. We can't just keep recycling draft picks every year, it gets us nowhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on that, should we take a different approach list management wise. Say we have a 1st round pick and all of the top 20 draft prospects wouldn't mind playing for Brisbane, but aren't really keen on it either. Should we change our approach and basically trade for the best player or players available with our first round pick that suits our needs.

For example, say during Aishes draft year (2013), the club had doubts that all the top 20 draft prospects wanted to be long term players for the club.
Should we of targeted players like one or multiple of Heath Shaw, Bernie Vince, Shane Savage, Josh Bruce and Everitt with our pick 7?

Also should we draft more players that want to be at our club, but aren't rated so highly. An example would be Clayton Oliver in this years draft, who barracks for Brisbane and his favourite player is Tom Rockliff. Say we have pick 17, but rate Oliver around pick 25, should we draft him as the club is convinced that he will be a long term player or go for a highly rated teenager who the club thinks will be a better player like a Harley Balic, but have doubts about the player staying at Brisbane long term?

Hi tttb

A lot of posters have criticised your posting style (including me) but I think this was a constructive and well argued post. More what do think abouts and less definitive.

Your idea is worth considering.

I am more pissed off with the club TBH. Something was definitely up when beams made his intention to come north last year. Pickers flew to SA to see aishs parents for a 'catch up'. How bullshit is that. If the club was told last trade period thst aish wanted to get there and we flat out refused threw sheer stubborness or to set an example it will really start to test my patience. Seriously could of been aish + 25 for beams. We would still have crisp and pick 5. If thats how it happened i will not be happy. Not that aish wants out cause lets face it he was never going to stay but the fact this club ha shot themselves (us) in the foot by not making it work last trade period.

If there was any agreement last year or even a suggestion that would be draft tampering and we would loose everything for a year or 2. what you suggest is what Tippet did at the Crows. I don't think the Lions are that dumb. I think this is Aish's manager more than anything. I can see why he would nominate Collingwood this year when the know the Pies will trade top draft picks to GWS. His manager must think the Lions are just going to roll over and give Aish away for a low draft pick. They can go and get stuffed.

If Collingwood offer a good deal (not a GH5 deal), we should take it. In the mean time, I have little issue with the club's stance, if it helps dominate the news cycle and ram our point home. We can't just keep recycling draft picks every year, it gets us nowhere.

Basically offering Aish to Carlton in the PSD would obviously help in any negotiations for Bell and/or Casboult :thumbsu:

Make him walk, draw the line in the sand. I think managers with young clients now think having their clients go interstate and prove themselves is a good thing as they then can argue the "Go Home" factor and get their client a better deal. Gold coast and GWS are in the same situation. When need to get back to a situation where young players become like Dangerfield and do their time then think about going home. If we draw a line in the sand now hopefully our future recruiting will improve where we don't get these "go home" kids and managers will say upfront their clients don't want to come to us. Like any business not being able to retain customers is expensive.

Re crisp i heard otherwise he was happy to stay.

Theres a massive difference between refusing then and now. Refusing to trade him then cost us pick 5 and a player. Refusing now will only cost us a second rounder and maybe change. Big difference IMO.
You heard wrong.

Re crisp i heard otherwise he was happy to stay.

Theres a massive difference between refusing then and now. Refusing to trade him then cost us pick 5 and a player. Refusing now will only cost us a second rounder and maybe change. Big difference IMO.

They wanted Aish and pick 5. Instead we gave them picks 5 and 25, Crisp was gone anyway.

It very much sounds like Casboult doesn't want to be at Carlton anymore. For whatever reason, a guy who everybody thought would be a 10 year player for the Blues now wants out. Despite having a year to run on his contract, his manager seems to think that he's more likely to play elsewhere than at Carlton next year.

Strange.

Whatever the reason, I really hope he considers coming up to the Lions. He'd be a huge acquisition.

It very much sounds like Casboult doesn't want to be at Carlton anymore. For whatever reason, a guy who everybody thought would be a 10 year player for the Blues now wants out. Despite having a year to run on his contract, his manager seems to think that he's more likely to play elsewhere than at Carlton next year.

Strange.

Whatever the reason, I really hope he considers coming up to the Lions. He'd be a huge acquisition.
I wouldn't go that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back