Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah I have heard rumblings about O'Meara for a while now, I haven't read the link but from memory he is establishing quite the property portfolio in Vic

Yes, he is indeed. GF is a Melbourne girl and I know first hand that he is s frequent Melbourne visitor.

I've no doubt that he is gone come season's end.

For the strength of Queensland footy I hope he reconsiders, I'd like one day for both teams to be strong. Imagine if the Suns ended up losing Bennell, Prestia and O'Meara in the space of two years?
Agree. Suns started out with so much promise now I think they will probably at the point of folding in 5 years time...

They wont fold, AFL wont allow it. They are needed in the competition. Just further increases the value of the academies. Even if we dont get superstars from, getting 2nd and 3rd round picks that will stay and are good enough to be best 22 players will still add a lot.

Biggest problem for northern clubs with players leaving is simply losing overall value. The calibre of young players lost for mean means they now have very little left from the big advantages they had in drafting. As it is with us, you lose first round picks and dont get first round value back. Academies we now just about pay market value, but the ability to secure local talent that will stay is a massive advantage when players keep walking.

For the strength of Queensland footy I hope he reconsiders, I'd like one day for both teams to be strong. Imagine if the Suns ended up losing Bennell, Prestia and O'Meara in the space of two years?
That would be an absolute disaster for the AFL. Ablett probably won't be around too much longer as well.
Come and watch the GC Suns. They have lots of star players like Tom Lynch and ....

Not sure the logical part of my brain can continue to argue that NSW/Qld clubs have a significant disadvantage when it comes to talent retention and then laugh at the Suns for potentially losing O'Meara.

The whole Northern alliance has to become a factor in AFL decision making. Divided we are a four pissant clubs who simply need to exist for the AFL to reap the rewards from increased TV revenue. United we have real influence.

The threat of the Suns losing their long term best player should sound alarms for the AFL. We, along with the Swans and Giants, need to amplify that warning as much as possible.

Not sure the logical part of my brain can continue to argue that NSW/Qld clubs have a significant disadvantage when it comes to talent retention and then laugh at the Suns for potentially losing O'Meara.

The whole Northern alliance has to become a factor in AFL decision making. Divided we are a four pissant clubs who simply need to exist for the AFL to reap the rewards from increased TV revenue. United we have real influence.

The threat of the Suns losing their long term best player should sound alarms for the AFL. We, along with the Swans and Giants, need to amplify that warning as much as possible.

Absolutely. This is good ammunition for every time someone says 'something something academy rorts!'

I have a split personality which helps in these situations.

Spot on. Especially considering that one of the most oft used rebuttals to complaints about the Lions' retention issues is "how come GWS and the Suns aren't losing players then?". These people seem to just completely ignore examples such as Boyd, McCarthy, Treloar, Caddy. The northern alliance need to work together to combat this willful ignorance.

Last edited:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-...laide-western-bulldogs-st-kilda-and-melbourne

THE AFL will not allow Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs, Melbourne and St Kilda to have top-up players to replace those suspended for the 2016 season for their parts in Essendon's 2012 supplements program.

Good.

In my opinion, it didn't even warrant a discussion. We have rules for replacing long term absentees through the rookie list. There is no reason why the extraordinary provisions granted to the Bombers for their extraordinary circumstances should extend any further than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon get to go into the season with one more active player than Port. Whole thing feels a bit inequitable to me, but I wont lose any sleep over it.

Essendon get to go into the season with one more active player than Port. Whole thing feels a bit inequitable to me, but I wont lose any sleep over it.

I guess the AFL believes a lot of people will think the same way, TBD, seeing as they're releasing this after 5pm on a Friday.

Definitely the time to bury unpopular news.

And two days after one of the more blatant pieces of pandering, with the half-thought-out academies.

Well I won't be storming AFL house in ptotest but the unfairness of that decision really sucks IMO.

Just another example of the AFL's screaming inconsistency:thumbsdown:

They had one more, before the suspensions. The net loss for both teams is 2 players, but Essendon get 10 under qualified. I agree that Port being similarly punished in terms of losing 2 players seems unfair, but the overall losses aren't really comparable. I certainly don't feel sorry for situations where teams knew the risks associated with who they were signing, but I have some empathy for Port where Monfries is concerned. Port didn't want to top up to cover Monfries though, they wanted to cover the loss of Ryder with top up ruck, who they knew was a risk.

At the end of the day, the only reason Essendon was granted to-ups, was to enable them to field a basically competitive team. This problem doesn't apply to the other affected clubs.

Looks like Wagner had a pretty decent hit-out in Norf's intra-club. Few rather interesting comments from their board:

"Seems Wagner is making some real waves."
"Once you watch him, it's pretty hard not to be excited by the way he goes about it."
"Lions fail with not selecting Wagner?"
"After seeing him in action yesterday and hearing Mason Wood's praise, you would think there would be at least be some head scratching going on up Brisbane way. This one may come back to bite them."

Looks like Wagner had a pretty decent hit-out in Norf's intra-club. Few rather interesting comments from their board"

Cameron Wood played a great intraclub game once that had us delirious here.

But yeah. good on Wagner if he does well. He was gutted not to get to the Lions by all reports but them's the breaks. We had a better look at him then anyone so I imagine we made an informed decision. We got Matheson at a steal a few picks before him and adding another small/medium player to our already pretty deep list of midfielders on top of Matho and Keays might have been a bit much with Allison coming in next year too. Skinner was a really good punt instead.

Like POBT said, a few Lions academy kids going well at other clubs is a pretty good result for us. Gives us some ammunition to shut Eddie up and ensure we can skim the Keays and Hipwood cream off the top of every draft.

And look, no disrespect to the North board but they have a tendency to hype their young players to messianic levels. They have a thread that gets updated every time Jack Ziebell comes within 5 metres of the ball.

Last edited:
It also said on their board that they played against Werribee and won by over 100 points. Also, North brought a whole new, fresh team on at half time (including Wagner) while Werribee kept the same tired players out there.

As one poster said "the second half (when Wagner played) was slightly congested circle work", so I wouldn't read too much into him playing well on this occasion. In saying that I hope for the academies sake that he goes alright down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back