Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cameron Wood played a great intraclub game once that had us delirious here.

But yeah. good on Wagner if he does well. He was gutted not to get to the Lions by all reports but them's the breaks. We had a better look at him then anyone so I imagine we made an informed decision. We got Matheson at a steal a few picks before him and adding another small/medium player to our already pretty deep list of midfielders on top of Matho and Keays might have been a bit much with Allison coming in next year too. Skinner was a really good punt instead.

Like POBT said, a few Lions academy kids going well at other clubs is a pretty good result for us. Gives us some ammunition to shut Eddie up and ensure we can skim the Keays and Hipwood cream off the top of every draft.

And look, no disrespect to the North board but they have a tendency to hype their young players to messianic levels. They have a thread that gets updated every time Jack Ziebell comes within 5 metres of the ball.

It's all a crap shoot, nobody really knows which kids will click, all you can do is take the kids that have the skill set and the qualities and hope they don't piss their career down the toilet. Look at Fyfe, heaps passed on him, he looked like a skinny half forward with mediocre kicking abilities, who knew?

I think Ziebell cops a lot of criticism as well, he definitely isn't the flashiest player going around but is well liked because of his personality and I guess the intensity he plays his footy rather than the belief he is one of the better players going around.

I didn't get to see Wagner play, but I wouldn't read too much into a practice match against a VFL side.

I think some of our posters will be over the top because it's the first time in a long while that we have picked up some offensive type of running players. Been a bit too much stodge in our side of recent years.

It also said on their board that they played against Werribee and won by over 100 points. Also, North brought a whole new, fresh team on at half time (including Wagner) while Werribee kept the same tired players out there.

As one poster said "the second half (when Wagner played) was slightly congested circle work", so I wouldn't read too much into him playing well on this occasion. In saying that I hope for the academies sake that he goes alright down there.

It was just a game to blow the cobwebs out in preparation for the NAB, I wouldn't read too much into it. You wouldn't expect a VFL team to be very competitive against an AFL team at the best of times.

It was just a game to blow the cobwebs out in preparation for the NAB, I wouldn't read too much into it. You wouldn't expect a VFL team to be very competitive against an AFL team at the best of times.
No doubt. Wasn't bagging the performance, just saying that we shouldn't start fretting about "letting one slip away" on that effort alone. I hear he's going well though, I hope he works out for you

Cameron Wood played a great intraclub game once that had us delirious here.

But yeah. good on Wagner if he does well. He was gutted not to get to the Lions by all reports but them's the breaks. We had a better look at him then anyone so I imagine we made an informed decision. We got Matheson at a steal a few picks before him and adding another small/medium player to our already pretty deep list of midfielders on top of Matho and Keays might have been a bit much with Allison coming in next year too. Skinner was a really good punt instead.

Like POBT said, a few Lions academy kids going well at other clubs is a pretty good result for us. Gives us some ammunition to shut Eddie up and ensure we can skim the Keays and Hipwood cream off the top of every draft.

And look, no disrespect to the North board but they have a tendency to hype their young players to messianic levels. They have a thread that gets updated every time Jack Ziebell comes within 5 metres of the ball.
Did you know Shaun Atley is the next Dane Swan?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There'll be players we don't pick up from the academy, and some of them will go on to long successful careers.

Of course, the guy in question hasn't played a senior game yet. Hell, hasn't played a reserves game yet!

Hawks top 5 players age wise: Mitchell turns 34 this year, Burgoyne turns 34, Hodge turns 32, Gibson turns 32, Lewis turns 30.

While we had 30+ year olds in our 2001-04 teams, not sure any were in our top 5 best players. Maybe Lynch at FF?

While I know they will be right up there again, it will be interesting to see how they go if their output does drop.

The fact Roughead is out for half the season adds another interesting factor. Considering they have lost a few talls now (Lake and Hale), you'd think they will be more beatable for the rival top teams now.

Another factor is the interchange cap, I'm undecided if it helps them more than other top 4 hopefuls.

Atm, i am putting them in the 3rd-6th range of my ladder.

Hawks top 5 players age wise: Mitchell turns 34 this year, Burgoyne turns 34, Hodge turns 32, Gibson turns 32, Lewis turns 30.

While we had 30+ year olds in our 2001-04 teams, not sure any were in our top 5 best players. Maybe Lynch at FF?

While I know they will be right up there again, it will be interesting to see how they go if their output does drop.

The fact Roughead is out for half the season adds another interesting factor. Considering they have lost a few talls now (Lake and Hale), you'd think they will be more beatable for the rival top teams now.

Another factor is the interchange cap, I'm undecided if it helps them more than other top 4 hopefuls.

And much like the Lions back in the day, I'm not convinced that their young players will step up

And much like the Lions back in the day, I'm not convinced that their young players will step up

Yeah a few Aaron Shattock and Richard Hadley types who have been made to look better than they are.

just started a thread on this on the main board (players over 30), north have 6 players over 31 this year, although their players are not in the same class as hawthorns group.

just started a thread on this on the main board (players over 30), north have 6 players over 31 this year, although their players are not in the same class as hawthorns group.
Yeah I'm tipping them to fall back this year, and losing players like Bastinac in favour of Dal Santo doesn't help in the long run either...

3rd, 5th, 4th and 1st in last year's B&F respectively, just to reinforce that point.

And unlike Geelong, they haven't really done anything to proactively manage the ageing of their list.

It's a matter of when rather than if they plummet down the ladder.

But to be fair, they've done incredibly well to stay on top as long as they have.

I think like last year (and us in our years) they won't really care where they finish as long as its in the 8. They will definitely just be playing the season just to put themselves in the best shape and back themselves to win in September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back