NFL 2002 NFL Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Solid perspective on the Cowboys, I think their entire season hinges on wheter or not Quincy Carter can become a consistent NFL Qb. This team reminds me of my Eagles a couple of years back with a relatively young defense that shows promise of becoming dominant, a young Qb with everything to prove. The main diff is that they do have Smith in the backfield and he can take a lot of pressure off of Carter. I still like the Eagles to win the division though with a record of 11-5 or better. I see the Cowboys being 8-8, maybe 9-7 and just maybe sneaking a wildcard.

Day 2

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS:

What happened to the Colts last year? It wasn't Edgerin James blowing his knee in game six. Afterall, the Colts put up 2000 yards rushing in 2001 with replacement back Dominic Rhodes posting 1104 of them. Startling considering Rhodes was a feature back for only ten games. The Good news for the Colts this year is that James is supposedly healthy and they still have Rhodes. As a matter of fact, that is some hellacious good news for Indy fans.

Although Archie's boy has only been playing four years, many people (and I'm one of them) believe Peyton Manning has what it takes to be a future hall of famer. That is if he plays consistently. 2001 showed that he is mortal and can have a year-long struggle. It wasn't entirely his fault, and I'll get to that in a minute. The good news for me is that a QB as gifted as Manning tossed one less interception last year than did KC's Trent Green. The good news for Indy is that Manning will return.

Wide Receiver Marvin Harrison is a bundle of good news all his own. Manning-Harrison may never be as polished a combo as Montana-Rice, or Young-Rice, or Gannon-Rice....but it is still a very sweet package any team should envy. The Colts should do very well at Tight End with veteran Marus Pollard. He's the "basketball" sort of TE everyone is looking for these days. He's not as good as Tony Gonzales, however. :cool: Still (as KC knows well) it takes more than one great, and one good ball catcher to accomplish anything. The key this year to Indy's air success will rest not on Harrison or Pollard, but whether or not Reggie Wayne can be better than "better than average." Did that make sense?

The Colts offensive line is iffy in my opinion because Indy will have a new offensive coordinator this year, and will be fielding two new Guards. That is a recipe for poor run blocking schemes as everyone adjusts themselves to a new system. No worries in the passing game, between Mannings lightning delivery and LT Tarik Glenn protecting his blind side I wouldn't be surprised if Peyton spends less time on his ass than any other QB in the league.

The Colts defense may be a big problem. They have a lot of infancy on that side of the ball. It's my gut feeling that if they do experience problems, it won't come primarily from the line. Ellis Johnson, and Chad Bratzke are solid, and the cruits are big.

One of the problems last year was at linebacker. When Peterson blew his knee, the Colts went to hell. Other teams were able to run up the scoreboard, and Manning had to play catch-up (a big factor in his 23 interceptions). Peterson is returning this year with a "supposedly healthy" tag on him. Expected Indy Linebackers Mike Peterson and Marcus Washington both still have a mouthfull of milk teeth. Perhaps good at stopping the run or rushing in, but inexperienced at dropping into the shallow for pass protection. Which leads me to the Defensive Secondary:

At the time I am writing this, the Colts are planning to field Corners David Macklin and Walt Harris. Free Safety Idrees Bashir and Cory Bird at Strong Safety. Now here's the harsh part: Between these four guys, there is only ten years combined NFL experience and Harris represents six (6) of those years.

Youth, speed and raw talent can go a long way, but not when everyone is relying on that. If I were planning an offense against the Colts, I would pick apart their secondary. Any team with experienced receivers will be able to do that. They can set Harris aside and play mind games on the children. Rookie types are easy to beat man-to-man, and can become easily confused (and thus let an enemy receiver go) in a zone with either crossing patterns or complimentary routes run away from Walt Harris. Big problem IMO.

Last year, opponents outscored Indianapolis in the 4th quarter 159 - 74. YeeeOUCH! As I said, playing catch up in the fourth, leads to mistakes, which lead to interceptions, which lead to a lack of scoring, which leads to the enemy scoring, which....well you get the picture. If Colts opponents can slow the run (very difficult) force Manning into the air, pick on the young secondary, score with the passing game, there could be a repeat of 2001.

Those are just worries. No reason to panic. I will be watching the Colts quite a bit this year, because I will be interested in how they overcome this problems - and to see if their opponents have the same bright ideas I do in this post. ;)

The biggest problem for Indianapolis this year is as a result of the expansion reorganization. How in the hell do you work up a proper hatred for three expansion teams? No inter-conference rivalry. Where is the fun in that? :D Good Luck Colts. If KC doesn't make the playoffs, I will be cheering Indy for AFC supremacy. If KC goes to post season play this year, I will be hating Colt guts. Peace,

Next up:

MIAMI DOLPHINS:

A good phrase to describe the Dolphins - "spinning their wheels." Of course, if you are going to be stuck somewhere, being stuck as a consistent playoff side isn't so bad. They can get to the post-season, but cannot manage to make the big AFC game, let alone the Big Daddy. That can be painful I know, because it typifies what the Chiefs went through in the 90's. Still, it IS exciting to have winning seasons and being treated seriously - even if no one believes you will be polishing the Hunt Trophy at year's end.

Pick a good "above average" statistic, and that is what the Dolphins will post. 100 yards on the ground per game? Yes. 200 yards in the air? Yes. 53% in the red zone? Yes. 10 Defensive interceptions? Yes.

Dead even in give away/take away? Doh! The fish finished 2001 with a negative 10 for turn-overs. 19 Interceptions. Not good, and it was because of a simple above average QB throwing to an above average receiver corps, with a really crappy Offensive line who couldn't explode forward on running plays.

QB Jay Fiedler is above average. That would be good if you weren't playing in a town that had a legendary QB for years and years. I think Miami expects Fiedler to fill Marino's shoes. That's not going to happen, so they can stop booing him, and appreciate him for what he is. Above average - doesn't suck.

I mentioned the Dolph above average receivers. Oronde Gadsden, and vet James McKnight should post well again this year. Second year wonder Chris Chambers may be a big surprise for everyone this year. I wouldn't tip him as a fantasry pick, because Miami isn't going to have much more than an above average passing year in 2002. All solid, no superstars. Two perfectly acceptable Tight Ends. Jed Weaver & Alonzo Mayes. At 6'4" 265 pounds :eek: Mayes is a circus freak in the realm of TE's. If I was an opposing Linebacker and saw that Mayes was in the game, I would suspect a strong-side run or shallow pass, don't you think! ;)

As mentioned, The O-line had an unremarkable year in 2001, mostly in the running effort. We can give them an injury cop-out, I think. This year, those injured starters; Brent Smith and Marcus Spriggs will be back - most likey at full strength. Acquiring Leon Searcy was probably a good move and should give the Fins (here comes the expression again) an above average O-Line.

I'm in a wait and see mode when it comes to Running Back Ricky Williams. He could be going somewhere, and maybe not. I myself don't know. The past two years he has been a 1200 yard rusher. A decade ago, that would be really good. Anymore you have to churn 1500 to raise eyebrows. So Williams might be considered....above average.

There is no one on the Dolphin Defensive Line that is going to set the world on fire. If they stay healthy, the line will be above...well, there is a pattern here isn't there? Of the lot, I like Jason Taylor. He can put on a pass rush, has a few years left in him and may be coming into his own.

Personally, I'm partial to Linebackers. The Dolphins have a solid set of these. IMO they are better at stopping the run than they are at pass protection, but that weakness can be made up by the Corners and Safeties.

Speaking of Corners and Safeties, if the fish are above, above average at anything it is here. A team always hopes nothing will get past the Free Safety. At this position, Miami fields Brock Marion and he won't let anything behind him. Teams trying to throw on him last year were intercepted five times. If I was an Offenseive Coordinator studying film of the 2001 Dolphins, I would think twice about going deep. Although a newbie, I think Arturo Freeman will paint himself a big name as a Free Safety in the next five years. On the Corners, Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain are (yup) above average.

S'what do I think about the Dolphins in 2002. I think if they stay healthy, they'll make the playoffs and lose again in the first game. Maybe this year they will score a post-season touchdown? ;)

Peace, Mooster

Nice posting Mooster. Plenty to sit and read when I get some time. I am hoping for 10-6 for the Cowboys this year, a little optimistic, but if QC continues his improvement and Bryant can't go over the middle then who knows. Eagles will be tough to beat so I am hoping for a wild card spot.

I share your thoughts on Richmond. All is not lost but the season is teetering as we speak. :(

Yup Hat,

Sometimes you have to stand against the wall without the blind fold, stare down the firing squard, keep a defiant look in your eye and say, "****." ;)

Tonight I was going to post on the Patriots, but I don't know yet who they are going to use as a Tight End. That's kind of imortant. I posted a poll on an NFL web-site to see what others are thinking about a Pat's TE. Guess I'll take the night off, or maybe write about the Bucs.

Check your PM's. I'll send you the link to the NFL Huddles in case Ozcoltsfan hasn't already done so. You can post over there as "Oh My Cowboy Hat." :D Peace,

Mooster

Aussie Cowboy visits this forum and the huddles
I dunno what name he uses here but
the Cowboys huddle needs ressurecting

im pretty sure the pats are gonna use Daniel Graham a lot

ozcoltsfan I post as oh_my_hat in here (see above) and Aussie Cowboy in huddles and just to confuse the issue Aussie Cowboy Fan over at KFFL (someone else already had Aussie Cowboy on KFFL).

Mooster, just read your Cowboy review and enjoyed your analysis. If I may just a couple of thoughts:

Stepnoski was getting a little long in the tooth and getting pushed around too much at the LOS. Additionally his SC hit was going to be in the $3M area this year so there was really and easy choice here. Drafting Gurode in the 2nd round may prove to be an upgrade and by all accounts has already moved to the top of the depth chart at the C position and should start the season.

Antionio Bryant should help the receiving corp and look out for 2 other receivers picked up off the Raiders & Jags over the last 12 months or so to step up, I speak of Ken Yon Rambo (love that name) and Randall Williams so hopefully with improvement from these guys and Gurode strengthening the already strong O line then QC should be fine. Add Jamar Martin who is apparently a bulldozer at FB things look to be on the improve.

Don’t forget Roy Williams in the secondary alongside Darren Woodson and Pat Dennis from your Chiefs continues to improve too.

Our kicking game suffered due to some woeful deep snapping that should be a thing of the past with the acquisition of Robinson from the RAMS.

For me I am hoping for a 10-6 record with the proviso that we have a good run with injury (NOT LIKE THE TIGERS THIS YEAR) and continued qb play from Q-Kid.

Mooster

You sure u ain't a Fins fan ??? cos u sure seem to have covered them pretty well across all positions. I enjoyed your "in depth" analysis of the Dolphins, and tend to agree with many of your observations.

Can you tell me if Norv Turner employs much in the way of Deep Threat Play Action fakes in his playbook? cos I can really see many situations where teams are going to be so "Ricky Williams conscious" that they will committ themselves to "stuffing" the box, which means that either a Chris Chambers or a James McKnight should be one on one with their cornerbacks, and surely beat them out on pure speed for TD scores.

Give me more of the same.......a hat-trick of 11-5 seasons, and yes please......... a win in a Home Field Play off game, backed up by a gutsy road victory to advance to the AFC Championship. Scoring should hopefully come easier this season, as Norv Turner (from what I read) is nowhere as conservative in his play calling as what Chan Gailey was.

oz

it's a shame to see the Colts move to AFC South

but at least one of our "rare" post-season wins was against you guys in the 2000 season in OT when Lamar Smith ran for 200+ yards

that was truly sweeeeeeet

Winston,

This is serious good coffee isn't it? ;)

No, I'm not a Dolphins fan per se, but I am fond of most of the original AFC teams not in the AFC West. They were all under-dogs at one time banging their heads against the stuffy NFC owners. As you can imagine, I hate Denver, San Diego and Oakland most of all. When the Chiefs are not in the playoffs, I generally barrack for an AFC team - not from the West. An exception to that would be if Green Bay is in post-season play. Green Bay is my second team.

During the regular season, I try to watch most games every weekend. I tape Chiefs games, and any game that is on at the same time as a Chiefs game. Then I revue them over and over. That way I have a general idea about all the teams, and some surfing yields whatever stats I need to augment my own observations I keep a record book for each year, for each team, and keep careful note of trades etc.

I try to do the same thing during the AFL season, but there are fewer games to watch on TV over here. I get most of my Aussie rules news from the internet. I do keep record books for each team just like I do for the NFL.

None of this makes me an expert by any stretch of the imagination. Last year was very strange. My mother and my girlfriend had better tips than me! My ma is a fair student of the game, but my girlfriend picks winners based upon their colors. :rolleyes:

To answer your question about the play action, I don't know from year to year what the Chiefs have in their playbook. Most teams have hundreds of plays, and only settle on a couple of dozen of these (the game plan) the week prior to the game. They decide upon these based upon film revue of prior games played by their upcoming enemy, and other factors e.g. player match-ups, injuries, weather - indoor/outdoor stadium - even what type of turf the game is going to be played upon is a factor.

I'm certain every team has a few long pass plays in their books for when they are either A. desperate B. wanting to stretch the field. Often times, the success of the play itself is irrelevant as long as it keeps the Safeties from cheating up on the following play.

This is just my opinion, but if Miami runs a play-action long bomb, it won't be for the usual reason.

Generally speaking, it is for a team which is strong in the run and the enemy team has weak Linebackers. The L-backs have a hard time stopping the run, so the Safeties cheat up to help. You don't want that, so you show them you are capable of airing one out. You go to the play-action to get everyone to bite in, and heave the ball down field. After the enemy defensive secondary cleans out their shorts :D they stop cheating up so much and this gives you room to get back to what you do best - run.

Miami is a strong passing team rather than a smashmouth type. With a team like that, you have a different approach. You throw the ball a lot not to get Safeties to move up, but to get Linebackers to move back. This opens you up to establish big plays with the run. Certainly if the opposing defense starts to key in on Ricky Williams, some play action will be in order. In the end though, the Dolphins only want Williams to be productive so that they can pass. So it is the opposite.

I hope all that blather made sense. :) Peace Winston,

Mooster

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mooster

Thanks.....I understood all your "blather" as you call it.....

and I "dare" a few opposing safeties to cheat up to the line of scrimmage
throughout the season !!! so they can truly appreciate the smell of toast !!!

:D

On to the Patriots.

I was holding off on them, because I didnt know who they would be using as a Tight End this year. A mini-poll suggests Daniel Graham will be the starter - dunno.

New England Patriots; returning Super Bowl Champions. I've heard it described as a 'Cinderella Story.' It was with a twist. The glass slipper fit one of the ugly sisters. Last year the Pats tip-toed, danced & tripped through a mine field. In the end, they were as surprised as everyone else they went unexploded. They won the Hunt trophy, but it was dripping with the blood of poor officiating and lucky breaks. I didn't mind as a great deal of that blood belonged to Oakland. I cheered the Pats through the whole thing, even though I lost the "smart money" I had placed on St. Louis.

Quarterback Tom Brady? Who would have thought that a year ago, after Bledsoe had signed his "lock-in" $103,000,000.00 contract? Brady it is. The only downside to that decision is there won't be a repeat SB appearance for New England. I view their trade-offs and acquisitions as being about equal. They have nowhere to go but down. The ball cannot bounce their way so many times this year. Tom Brady will be the villain, and the Patriot front office will look like fools for trading off Bledsoe. It will be undeserved criticism, but that's the way...err the ball bounces.

I'm not saying it will be impossible for the Patriots to repeat. If they do, it will be the return of the Offensive Line, and not QB juggling. NE has one of the best O-Lines in the league IMO. Damien Woody is the anchorman at center. He is pro-bowl material, and his com-patriots to the left and right are only a shade less imposing.

In the giddiness just after winning the big game, the Patriots used all their arms to pat themselves on the back. The NE trend was to re-sign everyone without a second look. Running Back Antowain Smith got himself a fat five year deal. Quite a lock considering he rushed only 1100 yards for THE championship team AND with one hell of an O-Line. 5 years would be more warranted for 1300 or better. Now, if they want to get rid of him in the next couple of years, it will cost them. Fullback Marc Edwards is adequate.

By signing Donald Hayes away from the Panthers, New England improved their receiver corps. However, other than Troy Brown (who is truly great) the Pats airforce was ordinary. This year they will be much improved, but one injury away from back-to-ordinary. If Brown gets wounded - make that worse than ordinary. A Pats fan may point out that David Patten is worthy, but IMO not to the degree of stepping it up if Brown bites it. I won't comment on the Tight End situation.

Nothing wrong with NE's D-Line. They lost Brandon Mitchell, but gained Steve Martin. Another 2002 acquisition, Defensive End Rick Lyle lends depth to an already impressive force.

As mentioned, I'm partial to Linebackers. New England won the Super Bowl with the biggest louts ever to grab the big one. Once again, in the post-game giddiness, these three stooges were re-hired. Marshall Faulk had a bad game, don't start telling me about how the Patriot Linebackers get the credit. Bull****. These guys will be the defensive weakness for NE this year.

Making up for the Linebacking weakness is the Pats remarkable secondary. Lawyer Milloy. How many times have we heard that name in the past six years? A lot, and it was deserved. He's amazing, even if he will most likely never practice law. Backing him is Tebucky Jones. Lethal combo those two. The Pats also have very impressive veteran Corners, but no depth at that position. If the D-Backfield stays healthy, they will be fun to watch.

That's my Pats review. Look for them to have a winning season. Look for them to go to the AFC play-offs. Look for them to lose in the first game, then watch Brady take the heat for it.

NEXT UP: Tampa Bay Bucs. Then I think I am finished with all the teams the Bigfooty NFL watchers barrack for. Am I missing someone? Peace,

Originally posted by Mooster7

NEXT UP: Tampa Bay Bucs. Then I think I am finished with all the teams the Bigfooty NFL watchers barrack for. Am I missing someone? Peace,

Just a couple of Pack fans, Mooster. Although the preview will be short and sweet.

'If Favre stays healthy, they stay in the hunt. If he gets hurt, goodnight' ;)

Originally posted by The Hippie

Just a couple of Pack fans, Mooster. Although the preview will be short and sweet.

'If Favre stays healthy, they stay in the hunt. If he gets hurt, goodnight' ;)

No, I haven't forgot about Green Bay. I'm a massive Packers fan myself; although not at the expense of my Chiefs. ;)

Actually, I'm waiting for my brother in Wisconsin to send me his numbers for the Packers. He srutinizes them as closely as I do KC. For him the Chiefs come second and the Pack is first. I'm also lazy enough to borrow off of his spread sheets. That's one less team, eh? Stealth probably has some ideas for GB if he drops by.

I agree about a healthy Favre. Even though he is arguably the "Iron Man" of the NFL, we cannot forget two years ago when he was playing with a f***ed-up thumb on his throwing hand.

Originally posted by ozcoltsfan
TERRY GLENN !!!!!!!!!!!!! huge numbers coming up for him this season

Agreed, unless Javon Walker matures and takes some of the numbers from him. ;) At any rate, look for year #11 with 3000 yards in the air. More on the Pack later.

THE TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS:

I don't think the Bucs will have a good season. I'll admit I'm a little steamed at them and that may have skewed my view somewhat. Steamed, you ask? Yup. It was a brilliant move on their part to secure Jon Gruden who, despite his deceptive youth, is one of the great NFL minds of our time. Where the Bucs earned severe Mooster brimstone was the price they paid for him. Not money - 17 million for five years is chump change considering what they are capable of waving. No, those b#stard Bucs gave Oakland two 1st Round & two 2nd Round picks, and thus went a long way to secure the Raiders as a competitive team over the next 3-4 years. I believe they hamstrung themselves in the process as well, and won't reap the benefit of having Gruden until year after next.

It all centers on Gruden IMO. With nothing to do in the draft but twiddle and throw darts, the Gruden plan was to counter-balance this with free agency acquistions. Good move, if done in the right places. Do I argue with Gruden? Yeah, I do. I don't agree that a team is built from it's ball handlers, X's & O's (Gruden's specialty). I think it is built from the lines on backwards. It might pay to grab some backfield talent if you have a line. Tampa does not.

Johnson & Johnson. It doesn't matter which QB's the team, they are facing the same problem as they did last year. Can't run, so they can't throw. Thanks to the terrible TBB O-line, the Bucs finished next to last in rushing. They tried to throw, but the O-line also allowed 47 freakin' sacks. Did Gruden make any grabs to improve on this horrible showing? Yes, out of 15 new potential players.....one is a 5 year Guard from the Jets, and one is a Center who went in the 7th Round. Their current Center Christy is the big player on the team who has Pro-Bowl potential. Now they have depth? No, they are going to suck.

The Defensive Line had a slightly better year in that they weren't hideous. They bled off depth with the loss of a starting End and a Tackle. Did these guys get replaced? Yes, with a 6th Round End.

Of the 15 potential new guys Gruden picked this year, three can shore up the line. One has experience, two are untried rookies. The remaining TWELVE are all Off/Def backfielders. Want a military analogy? The Bucs have their Infantry & Cavalry exposed in the open, charging an enemy in trenches with machineguns. Tampa Bay/Verdun. Remember I said that in December.

If there's any good news it may be their Receiver corps. All of them can reach the cookie jar. They average 6'4" Nabbing Joe Jurevicius from the Giants was splendid, but put your fantasy tag on Keyshawn Johnson if you choose a Buc. Like I said though, with a pizz poor O-Line, there isn't going to be time to run elaborate passing schemes.

I'm sure Running Back Michael Pittman is happy to be playing anywhere but with Arizona. He'll have to wait a couple of years for a line to get anything going for him. If he gets a 1000 yards this year, I'll be astonished. I'm saying that knowing he's at least a 1200 yard back. I simply have no faith in the Buccaneer line, none.

Don't get me started on their Linebackers. Tampa could have above average L-backs, but as it turns out, they are wheeling them all straight out of surgery right onto the field. If they are (by some miracle) healthy, they can be above average. With no D-Line though, I bet they give up 100 + yards on the ground - every single game.

The Bucs are OK on the Corners. I wish the Chiefs had Ronde Barber rather than hoping Warfield will finally have a consistent season. Tampa allowed their other very outstanding Corner Donnie Abraham bleed away as a free agent. They should have dropped the cash. Who the hell has two awsome Corners? The Bucs did, not any more. They needed them IMO to supplement their ordinary Safeties.

Look for the Bucs to pull up dyslexic in 2002. Instead of 9-7, they'll finish on the couch at 7-9. Next year will be better. If they keep Gruden the full five years, watch for them to be an NFC powerhouse. Peace,

Steel Town Lowdown?

Hey Mooster7,

I've been reading your NFL analyst posts and would like to request a review on my belovered STEELERS!!

Great to hear there are Aussie NFL fans with extended knowlege on the game.

Thanx

:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back