Mooster7

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2001
Kansas City, USA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
KC Chiefs
I'm not ripe to talk about it just yet, but the thread in which it was getting off ground was erased?

I know we have all been busy following R-1 in the AFL and preparing tips for R-2. All the same, what do you guys feel you need for your team? At the very least, list your team and over the next couple of weeks or so (this is a slow board) I'll tell you what I think you need. After the draft, we'll compare notes to see how it worked out.

I'll start. KC Chiefs:

Defensive Tackle. Our first round pick should go for this position - case closed. There are at least ten good ones to be had. I think no more than two or three of these will be gone before we pick 8th. BTW DT John Browning will be returning this year.

Receiver: Snoop is inexperienced but good. Cat Morris is coming back off of injury and can contribute well to the team. We need to replace Alexander with someone more productive. Quality & Depth in this area is a must to take some heat off of TE Tony Gonzales.

Defensive End: Many people believe KC needs a corner. I think we should make do with what we have and focus on a DE who can be a play maker in the pass rushing game. If we can resolve our run-stopping problems (caused last year primarily through lack of DT's) a threat pass rusher will go a long way toward legitimizing our defense.

QB: Hopefully this year Trent Green will not have an off season during the on season. Need someone really good for the number two position. Move Todd Collins to the three spot.

Corner Back: I'm only bringing this up because so many people think we need to draft one. I don't. I think we can make do with what we have in Crockett. Hopefully Eric Warfield can lift his game somewhat into a more consistent level (I said this same thing last year BTW).

Those are the top 4 for KC as I see it.

Mooster I will need to think about it and get back to you but just off the top we need:

1/ Defensive Tackle perhaps Henderson
2/ Tight End read Shckey
3/ Big Posession Receiver - Marquis Walker?

also I am intrigued by Safety Roy Williams who I secretly hope we pick up at #6 as he apparently is very versatile and cold even play LB if required.

Happy with our FA signings and if we can also get Hardy then we can use the BPA approach in the draft.

LBF, I'm happy either way really. So long as we don't pick Green at #6. Jammer or Williams at #6 or trade down perhaps with the Saints for their #13 & #25.

Hey Mooster how's going? The Tigers weren't much chop this week were they? OUCH and Richo out for four weeks with a hammy too to add injury to insult (literally)!!

BTW what time is the NFL draft on April 20? Can someone convert it to local time here (Melbourne) - I'm too lazy to work it out. I think there is a 15 hour time zone difference if I'm not mistaken.

The Packers made a couple big moves in the offseason, signing Terry Glenn and Joe Johnson, which help address a couple of huge needs.

LINEBACKER: It looks like we won't get Jermaine Trotter, so we may have to turn towards the draft, as this position remains a big question mark. Last year's top draft pick Torrance Marshall was an absolute bust, so the pressure is on him and the rest of the group this year. Probably the Packers' weakest position on the roster.

WIDE RECEIVER: Perhaps no single group of players in the entire league were more overhyped and underachieving last year. The Packers made some noise by signing Terry Glenn, but there is still a matter of the risk behind that transaction. The management wanted to seriously retool this position, so don't be surprised if the Packers draft two receivers. Antonio Freeman is gone unless he accepts a substantial pay cut, and that is a virtual impossibility given his ego. Bill Schroeder has proven that he has absolutely no clue how to run routes, and so he was exiled to Detroit. After that, there is Robert Ferguson, who is slow to develop, and Donald Driver, who has a good attitude but probably doesn't have the talent to be much more than a third or fourth receiver at best. Even with Terry Glenn, I still see us using at least one high draft pick here, if not two.

OFFENSIVE TACKLE: Promising backup tackle Barry Stokes was snatched up by the Browns, so I look for the Packers to grab someone there.

DEFENSIVE BACK: LeRoy Butler and Darren Sharper can still play, but their years are numbered. Mike McKenzie is solid, if unspectacular. Tyrone Williams is inconsistent, but decent. I think the more pressing issue would be finding a safety.

QUARTERBACK: It may be time to start thinking about the after-Favre era. Now might be a good time to draft a hot-shot youngster who Brett can mentor and mold into a successor. The one risk is that by the time Brett does retire, the backup could become a free agent.

NFL Draft April 20

Here is a quick overview of what each team may be looking for in the 1st round NFL Draft. This from foxsorts.com. I don't see the Cowboys drafting Stallworth as we already have 2 burners at WR in Galloway & The Rocket.

AFC East
Buffalo Bills (#4)

The defensive tackle position seems to draw the most attention. North Carolina's Ryan Sims and Tennessee's Albert Haynesworth are drawing the most interest. They could also trade down a few spots for Oklahoma safety Roy Williams. Oregon quarterback Joey Harrington isn't drawing as high of grades from the Bills.
Miami Dolphins (no 1st-round pick)

Traded their first round pick to New Orleans for running back Ricky Williams.
New England Patriots (#32)

They could look to add another linebacker such as Northwestern's Napoleon Harris or Alabama's Saleem Rasheed. Washington State safety Lamont Thompson would enhance their secondary. Any of the second tier cornerbacks back such as Ohio State's Derek Ross, Miami's Mike Rumph, and Nebraska's Keyuo Craver are worth watching. Offensively, Virginia Tech's Andre Davis and Florida State's Javon Walker are two names to watch at wide receiver.
New York Jets (#22)

The Jets would like to continue re-tooling their secondary. Florida's Lito Sheppard and Ohio State's Derek Ross are the guys to watch. They probably won't find a top defensive tackle fall to them and it would be a reach to go for a second tier guy. There's an outside chance they could take a guard like Nebraska's Toniu Fonoti. If they add another pass rusher to really bolster their depth, South Carolina's Kalimba Edwards or Alabama-Birmingham's Bryan Thomas is the guy they'll select.
AFC North
Baltimore Ravens (#24)

Defensively, the secondary needs to be addressed. Florida cornerback Lito Sheppard and Miami safety Ed Reed are two targets. Northwestern's Napoleon Harris and Syracuse's Dwight Freeney are also in the mix. An offensive tackle like Arizona State's Levi Jones is a possibility to re-stabilize their line. They also could go for another wide receiver like Louisiana State's Josh Reed to balance their passing game. A running back is also a slight possibility.
Cincinnati Bengals (#10)

Oregon quarterback Joey Harrington will be a strong consideration if he's on the board. Otherwise, Miami cornerback Phillip Buchanon could be their guy despite their veteran moves in free agency. Oklahoma safety Roy Williams also remains a possibility. They could also select one of the defensive tackles such as Wisconsin's Wendell Bryant and use his as their left end on run downs. A darkhorse candidate is Miami tight end Jeremy Shockey.
Cleveland Browns (#16)

The Browns could have some options. Michigan State running back T.J. Duckett is a strong possibility, but they could go in another direction here. They would love to trade up for Miami offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie, but will give Arizona State tackle Levi Jones and Nebraska guard Toniu Fonoti a long look. They also like Miami safety Ed Reed a lot. If one of the defensive tackles slip to them, don't be surprised if the Browns take advantage of it.
Pittsburgh Steelers (#30)

Finding an upgrade at free safety would be ideal. Miami's Ed Reed or Washington State's Lamont Thompson are the two guys they like. They could add depth along the defensive line with Notre Dame's Anthony Weaver or Alabama-Birmingham's Eddie Freeman. They could also add an offensive lineman such as Nebraska's Toniu Fonoti to develop.

AFC South
Houston Texans (#1)

Fresno State's David Carr has been tabbed as the Texans' choice for their franchise quarterback.
Indianapolis Colts (#11)

It wouldn't be a surprise to see the Colts actually trade up for a specific defensive tackle, although one will likely fall to them. Definitely, they have a chance at one of the top four prospects. Oklahoma safety Roy Williams is also being looked at with a lot of intrigue by the Colts because they could do a lot of things with him in their defense. Miami cornerback Phillip Buchanon still remains a slight possibility, although he's not as physical as the Colts would like. At defensive end, Georgia's Charles Grant is moving up their board quickly and they also have been evaluating South Carolina's Kalimba Edwards.
Jacksonville Jaguars (#9)

The defensive line is a primary focus here. They love North Carolina's Ryan Sims and Wisconsin's Wendell Bryant. Bryant is more likely to fall to them. I think they'll settle for Tennessee's John Henderson also. They also have been looking at Tennessee's Donte' Stallworth and Hawaii's Ashley Lelie at wide receiver. Also, don't count out an offensive tackle if one falls to them. The Jaguars could also trade out of this slot.
Tennessee Titans (#14)

They would like to upgrade their secondary with Miami's Phillip Buchanon, but he may not be around when the Titans pick. But they also won't let one of the defensive tackle slide past them. Their fallback pick could very well be Hawaii's Ashley Lelie, who would bolster their passing game.

AFC West
Denver Broncos (#19)

Some factions within the organization are determined to find another playmaker at wide receiver such as Hawaii's Ashley Lelie and perhaps even Louisiana State's Josh Reed. Florida's Jabar Gaffney also remains a strong possibility. South Carolina defensive end Kalimba Edwards still remains a darkhorse candidate, but the Broncos like the young players they are developing already.
Kansas City Chiefs (#8)

The Chiefs need a defensive tackle in the worst way. They love North Carolina's Ryan Sims, but it's becoming likely he'll be off the board. Tennessee's Albert Haynesworth is also intriguing. **** Vermeil still loves Tennessee wide receiver Donte' Stallworth and some members of the organization really like the potential of Hawaii's Ashley Lelie. Miami cornerback Phillip Buchanon is also getting some consideration in order to solidify their secondary. Oregon quarterback Joey Harrington is the long-shot darkhorse.
Oakland Raiders (#21, 23)

The Raiders have a lot of options they are considering. They would love to trade into the top five for one of the Tennessee defensive tackles or Texas cornerback Quentin Jammer. Even Oregon quarterback Joey Harrington has supporters within the organization. If they stay with their later picks, they would like a cornerback such as Florida's Lito Sheppard and Ohio State's Derek Ross really intrigues them. They also like Georgia's Charles Grant and South Carolina's Kalimba Edwards at defensive end. Miami safety Ed Reed is also a possibility to glue the secondary together. Miami's Jeremy Shockey and Colorado's Daniel Graham are also drawing looks from the Raiders at tight end. It wouldn't be a surprise to also see them select a wide receiver such as Hawaii's Ashley Lelie or Pittsburgh's Antonio Bryant. Virginia Tech's Andre Davis would be a reach, but is coveted by Al Davis. Another interesting name would also be Boston College running back William Green.
San Diego Chargers (#5)

The offensive line is the major concern here. They are closely looking at Texas' Mike Williams and Miami's Bryant McKinnie. If Texas' Quentin Jammer somehow slips past Detroit, the Chargers will be very tempted to scoop him up. As we first told you in February, the Chargers really like his tools for their defensive scheme. They also have interest in Tennessee defensive tackle John Henderson and wide receiver Donte' Stallworth.
NFC East
Dallas Cowboys (#6)

The Cowboys would love to land Texas cornerback Quentin Jammer, but he won't fall to them. They will settle for Miami's Phillip Buchanon or Oklahoma safety Roy Williams. Offensively, they are intrigued by Boston College running back William Green, Tennessee wide receiver Donte' Stallworth, and Miami tight end Jeremy Shockey. Another defensive lineman is not out of the question yet.
New York Giants (#15)

The Giants would like to upgrade their passing game. Miami tight end Jeremy Shockey is very well-liked by the club. They also are intrigued by Hawaii wide receiver Ashley Lelie. If they decide to add an offensive tackle, Arizona State's Levi Jones will be their man. I also feel a defensive lineman can't be ruled out when looking ahead towards the future in a year or so. But the Giants are determined to try making a last run at the Super Bowl again before a likely rebuilding project is underway.
Philadelphia Eagles (#26)

The Eagles are in the position to select the best player available, bolster a certain unit with their long-terms projections within their vision. Cornerback is one of those positions where they need to develop someone for the future. Florida's Lito Sheppard, Ohio State's Derek Ross, Miami's Mike Rumph, and Nebraska's Keyuo Craver are drawing a lot of interest from the club. They could also solidify the offensive line with Colorado center/guard Andre Gurode. Trading up for an elite defensive lineman is not out of the question either, but perhaps South Carolina's Kalimba Edwards will fall to their spot.
Washington Redskins (#18)

The guy they want is Oregon quarterback Joey Harrington if they can swing a trade up for him. They also have a lot of interest in Tulane's Patrick Ramsey. Otherwise, they could add another wide receiver in Florida's Jabar Gaffney or Pittsburgh's Antonio Bryant if the personnel department is ordered to take a skill player. They also could have a shot at Georgia's Charles Grant or South Carolina's Kalimba Edwards at defensive end. Miami safety Ed Reed is also a possibility. Also drawing plenty of interest is Nebraska guard Toniu Fonoti. They also like Tennessee defensive tackle John Henderson quite a bit.
NFC North
Chicago Bears (#29)

They would like to upgrade their pass rush. Georgia's Charles Grant and South Carolina's Kalimba Edwards are the dream picks if they would somehow fall here, which is doubtful. They are weighing their options on Alabama-Birmingham's Bryan Thomas. They also like Colorado tight end Daniel Graham and Florida tackle Mike Pearson.
Detroit Lions (#3)

The Lions have a tough choice. Despite their feelings for quarterback Mike McMahon, Oregon's Joey Harrington would be a smart pick. Texas cornerback Quentin Jammer is their guy right now if they stay here and pass on Harrington. They love Oklahoma safety Roy Williams, but he isn't as big of a need after they signed two veteran safeties. If they trade down in the first round, Hawaii wide receiver Ashley Lelie, Northwestern linebacker Napoleon Harris, Boston College running back William Green, or a defensive end become their targets.
Green Bay Packers (#28)

The Packers are in a tough spot where they don't want to reach for a need. If they go for a wide receiver, one of the more polished guys, Louisiana State's Josh Reed or Florida's Reche Caldwell have to their guy. They is some intrigue with the potential of Florida State's Javon Walker, but he may need more reps. They could also bolster the secondary with a safety like Washington State's Lamont Thompson. They also have shown interest in defensive lineman Eddie Freeman from Alabama-Birmingham.
Minnesota Vikings (#7)

One of the top four defensive tackles remain a possibility, but the Vikings are closely other options. They will strongly consider Miami's Bryant McKinnie or Texas' Mike Williams if he falls to them. They also like Miami cornerback Phillip Buchanon and Oklahoma safety Roy Williams. And don't be surprised if they actually take a wide receiver. They are very intrigued with Tennessee's Donte' Stallworth.
NFC South
Atlanta Falcons (#17)

The Falcons will likely continue to explore the opportunity to add playmakers around Michael Vick. They really like Tennessee's Donte' Stallworth and Florida State's Javon Walker. Pittsburgh's Antonio Bryant, Hawaii's Ashley Lelie, and Florida's Jabar Gaffney are the guys to watch at wide receiver. Two other names to watch are Nebraska guard Toniu Fonoti and Northwestern linebacker Napoleon Harris.
Carolina Panthers (#2)

The two names the Panthers are closely watching are North Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers and Texas' cornerback Quentin Jammer. Peppers has been the favorite, but they continue to be intrigued by Jammer, as first reported on FOXSports.com several weeks ago. Oregon quarterback Joey Harrington is a distant third on their list.
New Orleans Saints (#13)

The Saints continue to look for speed. Although they added help at wide receiver in free agency, they will continue looking for more help. They like Tennessee's Donte' Stallworth and Pittsburgh's Antonio Bryant a lot. They also like Miami's Phillip Buchanon and Ohio State's Derek Ross a lot at cornerback. A defensive end such as Georgia's Charles Grant and South Carolina's Kalimba Edwards would help address a hole left by Joe Johnson's departure. They also aren't ruling out on of the defensive tackles that might be available at 13. At 25, keep an eye on Ohio State center LeCharles Bentley.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (no 1st-round pick)

Traded their first round pick to Oakland for the right to sign head coach Jon Gruden.

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals (#12)

The defensive side of the ball is getting almost all their attention. They have been looking at the top four defensive tackles along with Georgia's Charles Grant at defensive end. At this point, Grant really intrigues them. They also like Miami cornerback Phillip Buchanon and Northwestern linebacker Napoleon Harris.
St. Louis Rams (#31)

They continue to evaluate wide receivers such as Louisiana State's Josh Reed, Pittsburgh's Antonio Bryant, and Florida's Reche Caldwell. Defensively, Georgia defensive end Charles Grant is drawing a lot of interest from the Rams, but he'll be gone by the 31st pick. They also are looking at Northwestern's Napoleon Harris and Alabama's Saleem Rasheed at linebacker.
San Francisco 49ers (#27)

Cornerback and the offensive line are two places they are targeting heavily. They like Florida's Lito Sheppard and Miami's Mike Rumph at cornerback. They also have shown a lot of interest in Washington State safety Lamont Thompson to bolster their depth in the secondary. Along the offensive line, Florida's Mike Pearson and Arizona State's Levi Jones have gotten attention from the 49ers.
Seattle Seahawks (#20)

Despite signing a defensive end, the Seahawks didn't answer their pass rush problems. They could still have an opportunity to pick up South Carolina's Kalimba Edwards or Georgia's Charles Grant if they choose. They like Miami's Jeremy Shockey and Colorado's Daniel Graham at tight end. They could even take a safety such as Miami's Ed Reed or bolster their offensive line for the long-term with Nebraska guard Toniu Fonoti.

When I get the chance I enjoy watching some Gridiron, I understand the rules and positions (mostly).

For some reason I picked the Dolphins as my team, probably coz my daughter was screaming "Go Dolphins" when she heard a team had that name, lol.

Anyway, can you give me information as to their signings and drafts this year, and if they are a reasonable shot at winning this year?

Finally a fellow Fin supporter :D :D :D

Asgardian, here's the offseason movements so far for the Dolphins (who at very least are expected to make it to the Conference Championship this upcoming season)

Players signed
DT Tim Bowens (re-signed)
DT Larry Chester (Panthers)
RB Robert Edwards (free agent)
QB Jay Fiedler (re-signed)
S Shawn Wooden (re-signed)
G Leon Searcy (Ravens)
RB Ricky Williams (Saints)
FS Brock Marion (re-signed)
WR Dedric Ward (ext.)
S Scott McGarrahan (re-signed)
DE Adewale Ogunleye (re-signed)
TE Jed Weaver (re-signed)
WR Jeff Ogden (re-signed)
P Mark Royals (Bucs)

Players lost
TE Hunter Goodwin (released)
LB Scott Galyon (released)
G Heath Irwin (released)
DE Kenny Mixon (Vikings)
WR OJ McDuffie (released)
S Brian Walker (Lions)
DT Damian Gregory (released)
RB JJ Johnson (Browns)
CB Terry Cousin (Panthers)
RB Lamar Smith (Panthers)
OT Spencer Folau (Saints)
DE Lorenzo Bromell (Vikings)

Brian Walker will be missed at Strong Safety, with Arturo Freeman expected to fill his shoes....Brock Marion was therefore a priority to be re-signed at Free Safety after his huge 2001 season....The DE's Mixon & Bromell were quality players who will be missed (add Trace Armstrong last season, and that's 3 quality DE's we've lost over 2 seasons)....Look for Daryl Gardener to make the transition from DT to DE which will also prolong his NFL career after consecutive back operations......Ricky WIlliams is obviously the highest profile RB the Fins have ever traded for.....and his quality will hopefully boost the OL's confidence and inspire them to overcome last year's injury plague and open huge holes for him....QB Fiedler returns with a multi year deal......and off the field, new Offensive Co-Ordinator Norv Turner is expected to make some creative use of a quality bunch of receivers and backs....as opposed to Chan Gailey's very conservative approach last year......Punter Matt Turk (who in my opinion is one of the NFL's elite) got greedy, and the Dolphins have gambled on a 13 season veteran in Mark Royals (to free up more salary cap room)....look for this move to back-fire, as Royals ranked 27th in average yards among NFL punters last season

As for our Draft Picks.....we pretty much used the good ones to get Ricky Williams.....here's Miami's draft picks.....

The Dolphins have five picks in this year's draft, which will be held April 20-21 at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Round, Pick in round, Overall pick

1 -- (to New Orleans for Ricky Williams) 25, 25

2 -- (to Philadelphia for 3rd- and 6th-round picks in 2001 (Morlon Greenwood, Otis Leverette)

3 -- 25, 90

4 -- (from New Orleans in Ricky Williams trade) 16, 114

4 -- (to New Orleans in Ricky Williams trade) 27, 125

5 -- 26, 161

5 -- (Compensatory) 35, 170

6 -- (to Chicago for Cade McNown) 27, 199

7 -- (to Dallas for Jeff Ogden) 26, 237

7 -- (from Chicago in Cade McNown trade) 30, 241

GO FINS in 2002 !!!!!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Winston Wolf, lets hope for your sake that Ricky Williams can pick up his career average of 3.6 yards per carry although with the Dolphin O Line is that going to be likely?

I think they should have tried to draft William Green or T.J Duckett in the first round as one of them would have been there at #25 and both would appear to have good careers ahead of them and less mileage on the clock.

Mr Hat

I agree that our OL was very suspect last season (but with good reason) Brent Smith and Marcus Spriggs both succumbed to preseason torn anterior cruciate ligaments. This forced the Fins to bring in fill-ins such as Harry Swayne (now retired) and Spencer Folau to create a makeshift OL.

Remember that the 2000 OL gave Lamar Smith a 1139 yard (3.7 ave) rushing season. The nucleus of that side with Smith & Spriggs returning in 2002, plus trade additions in Jamie Nails (ex Bills) and Leon Searcy (ex Ravens) should hopefully see this OL at the very least improving on last year's dismal effort

By the way, Lamar Smith still managed 968 yards @ 3.1 ave with last season's makeshift OL

So Ricky's explosiveness and the fact he is relatively young (about to turn 25) should hopefully produce a 1200+ season and (fingers crossed) justify not going for a rookie in the draft. (Also hope he loses his fumbling tendency from last season)

As they say in the classics....time is now.....and I think the Fins are making their big play in 2002. That's why they opted for a ready made running attack, to complement their Defensive & Special Teams strengths, in order to give the Superbowl a big shake in 2002. The Defense is slowly ageing and this group (who has dominated over the last 3-4 seasons) does not want to miss out on a window of opportunity to play alongside a strong Offense, and hopefully pull off the big one.

From what I now Ricky Williams has a lot of miles on the clock for his age and has been injury prone. If he can average 4.3 - 4.4 yards per carry particularly on 1st down then I think the Dolphins will be very happy as they will want to stay out of 3rd and long situations with Fiedler behind centre. With an improved O Line perhaps opposition D's will need to bring up an extra DB into the box to stop Ricky and the Fiedler to Chambers could be a dangerous combination this year. Miami's D & Special Teams would appear to be as strong as ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many thanks for the information Winston Wolf, and for the discussion OMH.

Who do you guys consider the "gun" teams in each conference?

LBF I would be happy with Roy Williams @ #6 or:

trade with New Orleans and pick up Green/Buchanon with the 13th pick and Shockey/Graham with the 25(?) pick.

WR in the second, centre in the 3rd, FB in the 4th, BPA the rest of the way. How does this approach sound to you?

Having said all that I am only going on what I have read as I have never seen these guys play.

I have a gut feeling that Jerrah is going to pick Haynesworth to let Glover do his stuff on the D Line.

Winners from Day 1 of NFL Draft

Winners from Day 1

BY BRIAN DELUCIA
Special to FOXSports.com
Apr. 20, 2002 9:02 p.m.
Here's a look at some teams that excelled on the first day of the NFL Draft. Next week, I will begin analyzing each team's draft as we look ahead to the 2002 NFL season.

Dallas Cowboys
Jerry Jones actually had a great draft, their best class since Jimmy Johnson's regime. They came away with four players who draw first round grades in terms of talent. Roy Williams could make the impact Ronnie Lott did for the 49ers during their dynasty years. Andre Gurode was a very solid addition to their offensive line. Antonio Bryant is a great addition at wide receiver and should take their passing game to another level.

Although character questions and a subpar 40-time dropped cornerback Derek Ross from late first round contention, the Cowboys made a wise risk here. He's the young physical corner they need in their secondary and could become a natural playmaker in their new coverage schemes. The Cowboys are rising again and today could have been the benchmark in their revival that people will look back towards in a few years.

San Diego Chargers
The Chargers had a great day led by the additions of cornerback Quentin Jammer and offensive guard Toniu Fonoti. As first reported here at FOXSports.com earlier this spring, Jammer is a great fit for their secondary, which needed a young physical presence at cornerback. Offensively, the Chargers couldn't generate much push at both guard spots. Fonoti surely addresses that issue. They also found a steady target to add balance within their passing game with wide receiver Reche Caldwell.

Detroit Lions
Not much has gone well for the Lions since Matt Millen took over football operations, but they are getting the draft right. Quarterback Joey Harrington gives the franchise hope with his charisma and competitiveness. He's simply a winner. And they got a great pass rusher in defensive end Kalimba Edwards, which they desperately needed. Keep an eye on Charles Haley's work with Edwards. Cornerback Andre Goodman gives the Lions more speed in the secondary.

New Orleans Saints
Donte' Stallworth should be an ideal complement to Joe Horn and Jerome Pathon in the passing game. This move gives them the ability to create a lot of favorable matchups with their offense. Charles Grant needs to continue developing, especially in the consistency department, but he could be a solid replacement for the departed Joe Johnson. Center LeCharles Bentley brings much needed youth to the interior line. He'll be a stud for years. James Allen provides depth at linebacker.

Kansas City Chiefs
Their run defense was a liability last season, but they have improved their numbers at defensive tackle with Ryan Sims and Eddie Freeman. Sims should be an immediate starter and will be a key factor for the Chiefs' playoff push this season.

New York Jets
A lot of fans in New York may question the pick of defensive end Bryan Thomas, but you can never have enough pass rushers and Herman Edwards' scheme doesn't require first round athletes at cornerback. Jon McCraw provides insurance at free safety and could emerge as their starter by 2003. Chris Baker adds much needed depth at tight end, which gives them the ability to use a lot of double tight end sets in the passing game.

Baltimore Ravens
Safety Ed Reed will be a stabilizer in the secondary and is a nice building block as they replenish their defense. Anthony Weaver should be a steady presence at defensive line for a long time. They still need a few more defenders, but this was a good start.

Indianapolis Colts
Ron Meeks and Tony Dungy will put Dwight Freeney in a position to generate a lot of sacks in a similar fashion to how Leonard Little was utilized by the St. Louis Rams last season. Larry Tripplett provides immediate depth as an interior penetrator. Cornerback Joe Jefferson is a natural fit in their coverage schemes and could develop into a playmaker.

Oakland Raiders
I am not crazy about all their day one picks. I feel the Raiders could have made a bigger impact on the first day, but the addition of Phillip Buchanon upgrades their depth defensively and will be a starter in 2003. He's a difference maker at cornerback and on special teams.

Analysis of Round 1 of NFL Draft

From Pro Football Weekly

1. Houston: QB David Carr, Fresno State

First impression: The expansion Texans now have the cornerstone around whom they can build the franchise around. Carr is a poised leader, and he is expected to take over the starting role by the fifth or sixth game.

Buchsbaum says: Potential franchise quarterback. When you have a chance to take an elite QB, you have to take him because you may never get the chance again. Everyone talks about the bust risk with QBs and how with a bad team they can get beaten up. By the same token, the bust risk at almost any position is there with the No. 1 pick in the draft, considering all of the pressure that is put on him. A lot of people like to make the point about how few QBs taken No. 1 have led their team to Super Bowl wins, like Terry Bradshaw and John Elway, and more often than not that is true. By the same token, you can take any other position and say the same thing. You can make a case for Bruce Smith, but how many players have there been other than Smith. O.J. Simpson never led the Bills to a Super Bowl. If you look at all the quarterbacks who have had great success in the NFL, there is only one common denominator. They all had a great ability to handle pressure. You had QBs like Bart Starr and Bob Griese with limited ability; you had QBs with weak arms like Jim McMahon. But the common denominator was they all could handle great pressure. In effect, the game slowed down for them and they could see the field, whereas most QBs, when the bullets start flying, it affects them. One reason Tom Brady had more success in New England than Drew Bledsoe is because Brady has so much more mental toughness. In terms of ability, there is no comparison. Why can a Billy Kilmer or a Joe Kapp lead a team to a Super Bowl? It’s simply intangibles and the ability to handle pressure that go hand in hand. The reason Jeff George is no longer in the league is he couldn’t handle the heat; he let the rush affect him. The reason Brett Favre is so successful is he has as much mental toughness and the ability to handle pressure as anyone in the game.

2. Carolina Panthers: DE Julius Peppers, North Carolina

First impression: The Panthers couldn’t resist drafting a local favorite, even though Peppers is a raw talent who has a reputation for not going hard on every down.

Buchsbaum says: Peppers is a player with as much upside as any player in the draft, but there is also some downside to him. If you could draw up a prototype pass-rushing defensive end, he would fit it to a "T." He has rare athletic ability that comes along once in a decade. He really needs to work at his trade and toughens up, because right now he is a bit of an underachiever. He’s a football player with a basketball player’s tenacity. Toughness and tenacity will determine how far he goes.

3. Detroit Lions: QB Joey Harrington, Oregon

First impression: Although the Lions were badly in need of help at cornerback, they bypassed Quentin Jammer and took a quarterback, signaling their lack of belief in Mike McMahon as the long-term answer behind center.

Buchsbaum says: Excellent size, great intangibles. Again, he’s one of those guys who’s mentally tough and handles pressure very well. Isn’t the pure thrower that Carr is and doesn’t have near the arm strength, but he has enough arm strength. In college, Harrington managed a team very, very well. He was in a system that was highly successful and he made the system work even better. He fits the West Coast offense the Lions are planning to run and is an exttremely bright young man who learns very quickly. The biggest concern I have about him is that he seems to have a little bit too much arrogance about him, and while he has nowhere near the degree of arrogance that Cade McNown had, he still could rub some of his teammates the wrong way. There is big difference between arrogance that turns your teammates off and arrogance that angers opponents but gets your teammates to play hard behind you. If you ask any opposing player, Bert Jones was an arrogant SOB, but to his teammates he was a god. They would go to all ends of the Earth to protect him. That’s the good arrogance. What McNown and Ryan Leaf had was the bad arrogance.

4. Buffalo Bills: OT Mike Williams, Texas

First impression: Adding an exceptional offensive tackle is one of the more important moves any team can make in the era, and Williams is certainly that. He will become an anchor at tackle for years to come.

Buchsbaum says: Mike Williams has a chance to be the type of tackle to play at a Pro Bowl level for a decade or more. He is in the Orlando Pace mold. He has rare size, with rare athletic ability to go with that size. It’s a $25 cab ride to get around him, and unlike many big tackles, he’s a good knee-bender who has good lower-body explosion as well as quick feet. He can be a Pro Bowl player at right tackle definitely, and if he can make the move to left tackle, he will be worth his weight in gold. The Bills didn’t screw around and try to wheel and deal because they were afraid San Diego might grab him at No. 5. They felt Williams was the best fit for them of all the players in the draft. Now it will be interesting to see how they address their QB situation. Will they come back with an offer to Drew Bledsoe, will they consider just waiting to see if Pat Ramsey lasts until their second-round pick, or will they trade up into the first round to draft Ramsey? Or will they just sign a free agent like Charlie Batch when he gets released by Detroit, or Jeff Blake?

5. San Diego: CB Quentin Jammer, Texas

First impression: The Chargers beat Dallas to the punch, grabbing Jammer, who is a physical bump-and-run corner.

Buchsbaum says: An excellent bump-and-run corner who is very physical and has good cover skills. Better up-and-jam than back-door corner but can play man-off coverage too. Good but not great speed. Physically tough. Plays hurt, plays hard and doesn’t lose confidence when things go wrong. Good ability to break on the ball.

6. Kansas City (from Dallas): DT Ryan Sims, North Carolina

Trade terms: Cowboys traded this pick in exchange for the eighth pick, the 75th pick (third round) and a sixth-round pick in 2003.

First impression: The Chiefs got the player they badly wanted, and Sims is not a risky pick in that he’s unlikely to be a bust. However, giving up two additional picks in order to move up two slots seems like a high price to pay.

Buchsbaum says: Sims is the surest thing among the defensive tackles in this draft. Everything about him is positive; he’s big, strong, quick, active, disruptive and yet wide enough to play in a two-gap scheme. He’s a great-character guy and a team leader. The Chiefs were afraid the Vikings would take him, which is why they dealt up. However, the Chiefs gave up too much in trading a third-round pick this year and a sixth-rounder next year.

7. Minnesota Vikings: OT Bryant McKinnie, Miami (Fla.)

First impression: Besides their glaring needs on defense, offensive tackle was the Vikings’ top priority on the offensive side of the ball. In McKinnie, they are getting a player with great physical ability, one who was certainly the best athlete available with this pick. However, they are getting a player with a reputation as something of an underachiever, the type of player Dennis Green used to regularly draft when he was the Vikings’ head coach.

Buchsbaum says: He fills a huge need for the Vikings at left tackle, and it means they can keep Matt Birk at center, where he may be the best in the NFC. McKinnie has awesome, awesome size; getting around him is like circumnavigating the globe. Natural pass blocker who is surprisingly light on his feet for a person of his dimensions. You’d think he’d be too stiff, but although he doesn’t test well in flexibility tests, it doesn’t show in his play. The area he’ll need work on is run blocking. Also, because he was so much bigger and better than everyone else in college, he has never been forced to go the extra mile, and if he wants to be a truly great one, he’ll have to work to take his game to the next level.

8. Dallas (from Kansas City): S Roy Williams, Oklahoma

First impression: Dallas gets the player it wanted all along, as well as two extra draft picks.

Buchsbaum says: Dominating safety. Big, strong, physical player. An extra linebacker vs. the run. He’s great in the box. Not as athletic as a Ronnie Lott or a Kenny Easley and is not going to be a man-on-man cover guy. Tremendous football instincts. With the addition of Williams, look for the Cowboys to move Darren Woodson to free safety. However, no team in the NFL will have as much money invested in their safeties as the Cowoby will with Woodson and Williams, when they sign him. In effect, the Cowboys got the player they wanted all along plus two extra picks, so you have to tip your cap to Jerry Jones for this trade.

Top of page

9. Jacksonville: DT John Henderson, Tennessee

First impression: The Jaguars are getting a high-motor player they can count on, even if doesn’t become a great player. They needed another defensive tackle after losing their two starters in the expansion draft.

Buchsbaum says: In Henderson, the Jaguars took the safer of the two Tennessee defensive tackles but the less talented. Henderson is a meticulous young man, and his preparation fits in with what coach Tom Coughlin likes. Coughlin is going back to the old philosophy he used when he took Kevin Hardy, Donovin Darius, etc., taking players you could count on even if there were other players available with more upside. After getting burned by R. Jay Soward and having last year’s first-round pick, Marcus Stroud, disappoint him as a rookie, Coughlin didn’t want to gamble on another boom-or-bust type. Henderson was the surest thing at a position of need. Now if they can get Stroud to play up to his potential, the Jaguars can have an awesome set of tackles for the next decade.

Top of page

10. Cincinnati Bengals: OT Levi Jones, Arizona State

First impression: The Bengals typically surprise many observers with their first-round selection, and this year was no exception. Nevertheless, Jones is a solid player who should pay dividends, if not huge dividends.

Buchsbaum says: The Bengals could have moved down a bit and still gotten Jones, but instead they took him here as an ultimate replacement for Richmond Webb. Jones also can fill in at guard if they want to play Webb another year, and he makes them much more athletic on the offensive line. Jones has the upside to be a great football player, but it seems to me the Bengals, who don’t have a full scouting staff, based their pick more on the Senior Bowl workouts. Jones was considered a late first- or early second-round pick before the Senior Bowl, and then he continued to excel in the workouts. He’s a very intelligent young man who knew he was in the spotlight and how much money he could make by working out well. While I classify this as a slight reach, I wouldn’t say it was a great reach. But I do feel they could have moved down and still gotten him or stayed where they were and filled a more pressing need with CB Phillip Buchanon.

Top of page

11. Indianapolis Colts: DE Dwight Freeney, Syracuse

First impression: Freeney is another in a string of "safe" picks, in that Freeney doesn’t figure to become a superstar but should be a solid, reliable player.

Buchsbaum says: In Dwight Freeney, the Colts got a player who fits Tony Dungy’s defense. He’s a speed rusher with great quickness off the edge and a tremendous motor. However, the one concern about Freeney is the way Bryant McKinnie engulfed him in the Miami (Fla.) game. Maybe people are putting too much stock in that game, because if Freeney had dominated McKinnie, this pick wouldn’t be surprising. Freeney is undersized for a defensive end and although he’s strong and explosive, he’s not as strong or explosive as Hugh Douglas. Also, until this year, he had never played a full season in college due to injuries or other factors. With so many attractive players still available, a lot of people feel the Colts could have dealt down and still gotten Freeney later in the round. However, he fits the qualities that Bill Polian always looks for in a player, in that he has great intangibles.

Top of page

12. Arizona Cardinals: DT Wendell Bryant, Wisconsin

First impression: Bryant not only fills an area of huge need for the Cardinals, he is a quality pass rusher.

Buchsbaum says: Arizona was desperate for defensive linemen, and they felt Bryant was the best on the board. He is a quick, active, penetrating player who can get to the quarterback. Most of their defensive linemen are run-down players, whereas Bryant has excellent speed and initial quickness for getting to the quarterback. He needs to get stronger and learn to do a better job of handling double-team blocking.

Top of page

13. New Orleans Saints: WR Donté Stallworth, Tennessee

First impression: Stallworth gives the Saints a very talented receiver who should help them open up their offense considerably and provide a big-play dimension they had lacked.

Buchsbaum says: The Saints got a dynamite wide receiver in Stallworth, who has great explosive speed and ability. Combining Stallworth with Joe Horn and possibly Willie Jackson will allow the Saints to create numerous mismatches and allow them to take advantage of Aaron Brooks’ skills. Further enhancing their passing game is the fact that Deuce McAllister, who is replacing Ricky Williams at running back, is an outstanding receiver in the mold of a young Chuck Foreman, who was much lighter than Foreman became during his later playing days with the Vikings. He is so fast, so explosive and has such great explosive speed and strength that he can run past you, or if you play off him, he will take short flips and turn them into long gains. While he needs to improve his consistency and concentration, he may the best wide receiver to come out of Tennessee since the Patriots drafted Stanley Morgan. He has more upside than Willie Gault or Carl Pickens did because to a large degree he has the strong points of both of those players. Pickens was big, physical, rugged and had explosive strength, while Gault had rare explosive speed. Stallworth is one of those players who is so good that even if you don’t need a wide receiver, you still take him. With his speed, he’s a perfect fit for the Saints, since Jackson doesn’t have speed and Horn isn’t as fast as he thinks he is. I don’t think in their wildest dreams the Saints felt they would be looking at Stallworth, Philip Buchanon and Jeremy Shockey all being available with their pick.

Top of page

14. N.Y. Giants (from Tennessee): TE Jeremy Shockey, Miami (Fla.)

Trade terms: Titans traded this pick to the Giants in exchange for the 15th pick and the 110th pick (fourth round).

First impression: The Giants wanted Shockey so badly that they gave up a fourth-round pick to trade up for him. Shockey has the potential to become one of the Giants’ primary offensive weapons with his receiving skills.

Buchsbaum says: In Jeremy Shockey, the Giants are getting a tremendous pass-catching tight end who will be a great option for QB Kerry Collins. He’s a large target with outstanding athletic ability and terrific hands; he can adjust to the ball well. He is much more a receiver than a blocker. Because of his body build, he will never be a Mark Bavaro/Howard Cross-type blocker. But because of his toughness and tenacity, he can be more than adequate in the type of offense Jim Fassel runs. He should make a major impact as a rookie. The Giants felt he had rare, almost Kellen Winslow-type ability and had him rated very high on their draft board. From day one, they were afraid that Seattle, Oakland or Cleveland would trade up and draft Shockey.

Top of page

15. Tennessee (from N.Y. Giants): DT Albert Haynesworth, Tennessee

First impression: Haynesworth is a boom-or-bust prospect who could either become a perennial All-Pro or a huge disappointment.

Buchsbaum says: Haynesworth has the most upside of any defensive tackle in the draft. If he ever realizes his potential, he could be King Kong in shoulder pads. He is bigger (in the sense of being more massive), more powerful, quicker, faster and more explosive than John Henderson, but he does not play every down as if it is the last. The big worry with him is his immaturity. In college he left the team twice when the going got tough. Although he did come back, it still creates some doubt about him. Throw in the fact that he doesn’t play hard every down and doesn’t push himself though fatigue well, and there is some bust potential. However, if you hit on a guy like this, you have a true difference-maker on defense, and the combination of Haynesworth and Kearse could be the most awesome in the NFL. Overall, most people felt Haynesworth would be a top-10 pick and possibly even the first DT off the board. In our mock draft, we had Henderson dropping to Tennessee and Haynesworth going to Jacksonville, but instead the Jaguars decided to play it safe and the Titans swung for the home run.

Top of page

16. Cleveland: RB William Green, Boston College

First impression: The running game has been a problem area for the Browns since the team returned to Cleveland, and Green should be able to remedy that situation pretty quickly — if he gets the blocking.

Buchsbaum says: Green is the big, fast, explosive back that the Browns need to go with QB Tim Couch. Although he doesn’t time well, he plays very fast and he runs hard. He’s been consistently productive. He’s the type of big back that has had great success in the NFL in recent years and is a huge upgrade over what the Browns had in their stable.

Top of page

17. Oakland (from Atlanta): CB Phillip Buchanon, Miami (Fla.)

Trade terms: Falcons traded this pick to Raiders in exchange for 18th pick, which they had just acquired from Washington minutes earlier, and the 158th pick (fifth round).

First impression: The Raiders apparently got a steal with this pick, as Buchanon had been projected to go much higher.

Buchsbaum says: Buchanon is the type of bump-and-run, trash-talking corner the Raiders love. He is the elite man-on-man pass defender in this draft and fits the Raiders’ scheme extremely well, although they wish he were a little bigger. While Buchanon’s trash talking turned off a number of teams and caused him to slip, none of those factors bothered the Raiders whatsoever. As an added bonus, the Raiders needed a punt returner, and Buchanon is one of the best punt returners, if not the best, in the draft. He’s a player the Raiders felt they would have to go way up in the top 10 to get, and instead they got him much further down in the round, in a more salary-cap-friendly area, which is no small consideration when you have two first-round draft picks. The reason the Raiders traded up a second time is that the Eagles, who wanted Buchanon badly, made the Falcons an offer, but the Falcons didn’t want to drop down that far because they feared the player they wanted would not be available if they traded down to the 26th pick.

Top of page

18. Atlanta (from Washington through Oakland): RB T.J. Duckett, Michigan State

Trade terms: See No. 17 for terms involving Falcons-Raiders. Minutes earlier, the Raiders had acquired the pick from Washington in exchange for the 21st pick and the 89th pick (third round).

First impression: Taking a running back was a bit of a surprise after the Falcons spent big bucks to sign Warrick Dunn in free agency, but Duckett could be the missing piece in an offense that could suddenly be pretty potent as soon as Michael Vick matures.

Buchsbaum says: The Falcons were surprised Duckett lasted this long, and they feel in Duckett and Warrick Dunn they can field a thunder-and-lightning type of backfield. Duckett has great size, speed and ability but was a hot-and-cold player in college. If he runs tough all the time, he can come close to being a franchise back. The combination of Duckett, Dunn and Michael Vick could be lethal. Now throw in the fact that they have a great, young receiving tight end in Alge Crumpler, and if they can somehow pick up an elite receiver, they will have one of the fastest and best offenses in the game when their young players mature.

Top of page

19. Denver: WR Ashley Lelie, Hawaii

First impression: Lelie fills a big need for the Broncos, who struggled mightily when Ed McCaffrey went down with an injury last season. If McCaffrey returns to full health, the Broncos will have three top-notch wideouts to go along with TE acquisition Shannon Sharpe. If McCaffrey doesn’t come back strong, Lelie should be capable of moving into a starting role.

Buchsbaum says: Lelie is a big, fast, athletic receiver who can make the difficult catch. He is a quick learner. He never had to run disciplined routes in college, and he has had recurring hamstring problems in the offseason, which may be related to his rapid weight gain. He has gained nearly 15 pounds since the season ended, and very often players who take supplements to gain weight become much more susceptible to muscle pulls.

Top of page

20. Green Bay (from Seattle): WR Javon Walker, Florida State

Trade terms: Seahawks traded this pick and 156th pick (fifth round) to Packers in exchange for 28th pick (first round) and 60th pick (second round).

First impression: The Packers badly needed a wide receiver, and they got one who has been moving up many teams’ draft boards lately.

Buchsbaum says: Walker was the receiver who probably gained the most ground during the offseason with his tremendous workouts and his rare combination of size and speed. Another huge factor is although he didn’t test well on the written IQ test, it turns out that he has a reading disability and when he was given a verbal IQ test, he did much better. He also is football-smart. With his size and speed, he gives the Packers a dimension they haven’t had since James Lofton was in his prime.

Top of page

21. New England (from Tampa Bay through Oakland and Washington): TE Daniel Graham, Colorado

Trade terms: Redskins traded this pick to Patriots in exchange for 32nd pick (first round), 96th pick (third round) and 244th pick (seventh round).

First impression: Graham is a talented tight end who will make the Patriots’ offense much more effective, providing a dependable threat over the middle.

Buchsbaum says: In Graham the Patriots are getting the best tight end they have had since Ben Coates. He’s an outstanding receiver, he runs well after the catch and is an above-average to good blocker. He’s highly competitive, comes from a football family and fits the mold of players the Patriots like. The general feeling is if the Giants had not been able to draft Jeremy Shockey, they would have taken Graham with the 15th pick in the draft, and there is no way Graham would have lasted until the 32nd pick.

Top of page

22. N.Y. Jets: DE-OLB Bryan Thomas, Alabama-Birmingham

First impression: The catcalls from the audience at the Theater at Madison Square Garden were plentiful when this pick was announced. Thomas is a very talented athlete, but how does he fit into the Jets’ plans?

Buchsbaum says: Basically this looks like a best-athlete-available pick, unless the Jets are planning to move Shaun Ellis back inside again, or if they have a trade in the works. Thomas is a superb athlete with John Abraham-type speed and ability. He can be a big-time pass rusher, but it’s hard to say how a combination of Abraham and Thomas will work together. It’s very rare for a team to play two undersized speed rushers together on an every-down basis.

Top of page

23. Oakland: LB Napoleon Harris: Northwestern

First impression: This was a pick for need as well as value. Harris will be a valuable addition to a Raider defense that needed to be strengthened if they are to make another playoff run.

Buchsbaum says: In Napoleon Harris, the Raiders are getting the best linebacker in the draft at a position where they have a great need. All of their projected starting linebackers are at least 32 years old, and Harris can play on either the strong or weak side and may even be able to play in the middle. He’s a good athlete with a basketball background and has the size and speed NFL teams are looking for.

Top of page

24. Baltimore: S Edward Reed, Miami (Fla.)

First impression: This was an area of need for a Ravens team that has been hit hard by free agency, especially on defense.

Buchsbaum says: Reed is a super-instinctive safety who’s a ball magnet and makes numerous big plays. He has better speed and range than most safeties, and some teams feel he can be a cover-two corner. His tackling fell off this past season, but that was probably because he was playing with a bad shoulder. He not only was viewed as the leader of Miami’s secondary, but as the leader of the entire team. With his addition, the Ravens have the option of using Gary Baxter at cornerback , where he played in college, and using Reed at his natural FS position, or moving Baxter inside and using Reed on the corner.

Top of page

25. New Orleans (from Miami): DE Charles Grant, Georgia

First impression: After losing Joe Johnson and La’Roi Glover during the offseason, the Saints needed help on the defensive line and they get it in Grant. He is a quick and effective pass rusher, but he needs to become more consistent.

Buchsbaum says: Grant is a player the Saints really wanted. He’s an explosive speed rusher who was inconsistent overall as a college player.

Top of page

26. Philadelphia: CB Lito Sheppard, Florida

Buchsbaum says: Sheppard is a quality cover corner who can also return punts. The Eagles were definitely in the market for a young corner; they tried to move up and get Phillip Buchanon earlier in the round. They now have four players who could be starting cornerbacks in the NFL. The key to this drafting strategy is that the team the Eagles would likely have to beat to get to the Super Bowl is the Rams, and you need four corners on the field when you play the Rams.

Top of page

27. San Francisco: CB Mike Rumph, Miami (Fla.)

Buchsbaum says: The 49ers wanted a big corner, and they got one in Rumph (6-2, 205). He’s a good player, not a great one, and he fits what the Niners needed.

Top of page

28. Seattle (from Green Bay): TE Jerramy Stevens, Washington

Buchsbaum says: I think this pick was a bit of a reach. The question on him is character, and I’m sure Mike Holmgren is monitoring that situation. Stevens has had some off-the-field problems, but the Seahawks feel he will get straightened out. As for wanting a tight end, the Seahawks would have liked to get Jeremy Shockey, but more realistically they thought they could get Daniel Graham. However, the Patriots snatched Graham right out from under the Seahawks’ noses when they traded up to No. 21.

Top of page

29. Chicago: OT Marc Columbo, Boston College

Buchsbaum says: The Bears felt like they had to have a replacement for Brockermeyer. They like tall tackles, and he was the best of the offensive tackles that were left. He was a need pick, and the Bears had to fill this hole. He’s a tough kid who has played in bad weather, qualities that the Bears like.

Top of page

30. Pittsburgh: OG Kendall Simmons, Auburn

Buchsbaum says: I think he’s a terrific football player who was downgraded because of his height and short arms. But in college he blocked Dwight Freeney and Julius Peppers. All his intangibles are terrific; he’s tough and can play anywhere on the line.

31. St. Louis: LB Robert Thomas, UCLA

Buchsbaum says: Derrick Brooks-type weak-side linebacker who can also play in the middle. He’s undersized but very active and aggressive. May have improved as much as any senior player in this year’s draft. If the Patriots had not traded up for Daniel Graham, Thomas might have been their selection.

32. Washington (from New England): QB Pat Ramsey, Tulane

First impression: The Redskins were rumored to be considering a trade up for QB Joey Harrington, but instead they traded down twice and selected Ramsey. His stock moved up considerably in the postseason. He has excellent intangibles, but his lack of mobility is a drawback.

Buchsbaum says: I really like Ramsey. He’s an upper-echelon QB. He’s a strong-armed thrower. He’s mentally and physically tough. I think this was a terrific pick. The Redskins played their cards just right in trading down; they went where they had to go to get him.

Hat,

Thanks for picking up the ball here on the draft subject. I've been out of town, and had to rush into draft weekend somewhat left-footed.

Looks as though the Dallas strategy was the old conventional one for them - build hell out of the offense. Aside from a couple of D-Backs (not to mention Safety Roy Williams) the boys concentrated on shoring up their offensive line and getting some air weapons. I still think you are weak at QB, and you should have got yourself a Defensive Tackle. Overall though, Dallas picked very well. Time will tell.

The Redskins may be a Dallas rival, but they will be dead for a couple more years. Your other NFC threat - the 49ers - did themselves proud IMO. A lot of well rounded picks. If QB Brandon Doman turns out as expected, be afraid...very afraid.

KC has a history of strange drafts. Usually we get by with pre-draft under-the-table deals. Getting two Defensive Tackles makes me perfectly happy. I have no clue why we picked Running Back Omar Easy. Hopefully it signals a return to what KC historically loves - the run. I rate our draft overall as half-assed. However, we always do this half-assed and always get at least two positions we desperately need. Our General Manager Carl Peterson is a diseased sort of genius in this respect.

From looking at Green Bay's efforts, I'd guess they're figuring on keeping Favre around for a couple more years. Signaled by their efforts to get him someone to throw to in the first round, and someone to run and take the pressure off in round 4. They didn't do so bad.

Everyone is saying how well Oakland did. I was shocked they didn't pick at least one Wide Out. Jerry Rice has one more season in him, and the other vet (cannot remember his name at the moment) is a gomer as well. They got a fine Tight End in Doug Jolley, but a Tony Gonzales he ain't. :D What's the deal with Oakland's facination with guys named Napolean? I'm sure I don't know.

A couple of other people here were Dolphins fans, I think. Jeez they dropped the freakin' fish. They burned their 1st and 2nd rounds, turned down some from KC, then started "thinking" for the 90th pick. This is going to hurt them. I think maybe Cincinnati may have done worse, but that is debatable.

Anyone else want a "Mooster Draft Revue?" I was boozed up the whole weekend, and no one does it better...err at least the boozed up part. Peace,

We won the biggest with the talent and the small trades.

Minnesota was asleep at the switch on the first round pick and K.C. had enough guts to get the player they wanted and lucky for us we were there to pull the trigger then get the guy we wanted. And who wanted to play fo the Boys.
Then we get the 4th highest rated O lineman who dropped.
Then we trade back with the extra 3rd rounder and pick up the 4th best rated WR in the draft.

Great first day.

Second day was average.

Mooster I am quite happy with the direction that the Cowboys took (remembering that I have only read about these players and not seen them perform). I was hoping for Roy Williams to be our first pick and the fact that Jerry traded down 2 spots with your Chiefs and picked up a 3rd rounder and got Williams at #8 was a good move plus we won’t have to pay him as much as if he selected at #6.

I would have liked a DT like Henderson or Sims but don’t forget that the Cowboys signed LaRoi Glover in FA’s LB Kevin Hardy and CB Bryant Westbrook from Detroit. Additionally Brandon Noble has re-signed and should provide that big body on the D line that will require a double team and let Glover put pressure on the QB.

Offense really needed some attention and Andre Gurode (sp?) from all reports is very versatile as he can play guard and Centre. Also picking up WR Antonio Bryant at #63 is a coup if he can mature and be the WR that had him projected as a mid 1st round pick a month or two ago. Apparently FB Jamar Martin (sp?) is the best pure full back in the draft so I am happy with him as well. The only area that needs addressing is TE and hopefully that can be a sorted out in FA after the June 1 cuts – perhaps the TE from Buffalo Jay Riemersma could be a good pick up.

I think Quincy Carter will be fine at QB and would expect a fair bit of improvement this upcoming season. Chad Hutchinson sounds intriguing as his back up with either Leaf, Wright or Stoerner at 3rd string.

I haven’t really delved too deeply into what the other teams have done but will have a look and come up with something. I was interested in following the Redskins fortunes and noticed that they drafted the QB Ramsay from Tulane after acquiring 2 QB’s in FA.

NFL Post-Draft Previews Thread

Most of the post-draft acquistions have more or less reshuffled, to the point to where I think some preview numbers can be crunched based upon last years performances and this years possible rosters.

To that end, I've been working on some numbers for the various NFL teams. My Chiefs analysis is always a bit more in depth (Hat, looks as though we will be keeping TG ;) ) so I won't have the look for them just yet. I'm waiting for my brother in Wisconsin to send me - anytime now - his numbers for Green Bay.

In the meantime, I'll give you some thoughts on the way various teams have shaped themselves up since January, and how they may perform in the coming season.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still following my beloved Richmond Tigers closely, but unfortunately, they aren't following my numbers for them. :eek: :mad:

I'll start with the teams most often mentioned on this board - starting with the Cowboys. Feel free to jump in at any time or offer rebuttal. Peace,

DALLAS COWBOYS:

They had a suck season last year (5-11) as if that information was top secret. I blame a lot of that on injuries and Quarterback woes. They changed QB's more often than they did their socks. The 'Boys have settled on Quincy Jones who may get a chance to prove himself this year. I have my doubts he will prove to be a Staubach or Aikman.

Jones will have air weapons for the first time in two years. Ironically they will be receivers already on the roster. Ishmael and Galloway both uninjured, makes for a fine starting receiver set. Picking up Tony McGee from the Bengals was a good move, but Dallas won't be famed this year for it's sterling corps.

To help Jones is an offensive line which may prove to be much better than last year. I really like L-Guard Larry Allen. Of course so does everyone else. That's why he was voted seven times to the Pro Bowl. I don't know exactly why they dropped Center Mark Stepnoski and manipulated the rest of the positioning like a Rubik's Cube, but they final product looks formidable enough on paper. Much like they don't have an Aikman, they also don't have a solid castle wall as an O-line as they always prefer, but this line should work.

In the backfield is Smith of course. He's a freakin' Gomer, but I have no doubts that - barring severe injury - he'll get the 540 he needs to surpass Walter Payton this year. I see the Cowboys splitting the ball carrying effort this year between Emmitt Smith & Troy Hambrick rather than having a feature back. Robert Thomas is one of the best blocking Fullbacks around. With him healthy, Dallas should finish the year as one of the leading rushing teams in the NFC.

Now the other side of the ball. Much like the Chiefs, Dallas suffered in the 2001 season from lack of Defensive Tackles. That's why I was mildly surprised they weren't aggressive after them in the draft. No matter, they managed to grab LaRoi Glover from the Saints. The remainder of the D-Line have potential to be good, but resemble a freak show of walking wounded. If they come back healthy this year, Dallas should be able to stop the run reasonably, as well as pressure the QB.

In my opinion, the Dallas Defensive secondary is an ordinary rabble with the exception of Darren Woodson. Corner Bryant Westbrook has potential, but comes carrying a history of injury. Neither Woodson nor Westbrook are a Deion Sanders.

Both Dallas' kicking and punting teams are average. Depending upon your point of view, this could be a good thing. Last year they sucked, so average is a significant improvement.

Mooster Says: Look for a good rushing season for Dallas and I pick Ishael over Galloway to be a primary receiver. If the Cowboys can lift their game in the first half (they were outscored in the first half 191-119 last year) their is no doubt their miserable showing in 2001 can be improved upon dramatically. Having good luck with injuries is a must. They'll need to keep the both sides of the line in shape to improve upon their miserable 2001 red zone performance. I give a healthy Cowboy team 60-40 odds of making a playoff berth. If they take casualties and rely on depth reverse that to 40-60.

Peace,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back