2008 draft how it would be today

Remove this Banner Ad

The other 2 are not far off Fyfes level - who I rate in the top 10 mids in the AFL - Hill and Wells are a good comparison. The thing Hill does taking the tag he takes the heat off your other good mids.

I would take Fyfe over Wells. Best player over team needs IMO.
Would you take beams or rockliff over wells though? Fyfe wasn't part of that comparison.

Beams, Rockfliffe, Fyfe are at a different level to Wells and Hill.

Picking Hill over any of those three makes little sense.
Makes perfect sense when we already have fyfe, mundy and barlow. We need hill more than we need beams, and a lot more than we need rockliff.

Nothing against rockliff, or beams. But we have no one else that's able to do what hill does.

Rockliff went from underrated to overrated pretty quickly. Yes he racks up 30+ touches regularly but he does almost nothing with it. Not in the same bracket as Beams and Sloane let alone Fyfe (Who I regard #2 in the AFL).
fyfe is in a class below ablett but rockliff is definently in the next class, if you think he does nothing with his disposals your clueless. how is getting about 25 kicks a game not doing anything? he also average the highest amount of tackles ever this season.

fyfe is in a class below ablett but rockliff is definently in the next class, if you think he does nothing with his disposals your clueless. how is getting about 25 kicks a game not doing anything? he also average the highest amount of tackles ever this season.
Obvious saying he does almost nothing with his disposals was an over exaggeration. But I wouldn't have him in the same tier as Sloane and Beams.

i dont think you would find many people who would take hill over Rockliff (other then Fremantle suporters)... it isn't all about who's more damaging it is about who does their role better.

You might be right about other peoples views. For me, Rockcliff had 40 touches against us, and Lyon didn't anything about it. Why, Handley is a better player than Rockcliff and hard tag went to him. By the way, Lions got murdered in the game.

Hill has one of the highest goal involvements in the AFL. That's why teams hard tag Hill and when they don't they lose badly. Also, Hill is a superior defensive skills than all of the 2008 draft midfielders.

You might be right about other peoples views. For me, Rockcliff had 40 touches against us, and Lyon didn't anything about it. Why, Handley is a better player than Rockcliff and hard tag went to him. By the way, Lions got murdered in the game.

Hill has one of the highest goal involvements in the AFL. That's why teams hard tag Hill and when they don't they lose badly. Also, Hill is a superior defensive skills than all of the 2008 draft midfielders.
coaches dont tag the best players now days the tag the ones that they can shutdown the most and clearly hill cant cope with a tag aswell as someone like fyfe who is a superior player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree - Hill gets tagged because he is easy to shut out of a game. Barlow and Mundy will still do what they do with a tag. Stanton would get the tag over Watson in some games.

The days of tagging the best player is gone. It is which player you can restrict the most. Hill is that at Freo.

No offence but if you are using "how often they get tagged" for rating someone then you display very little football knowledge. Coaches don't just sit there and decide to tag whoever is da bestest. There is many factors to consider.

That just further proves the guys point, Fyfe is obviously the best Freo Midfielder, but he hardly gets tagged because he would murder any tagger in the air and will still will his way into winning the possession

Hill to Freo is much more important then Rockclif/beams/Hannebery are
Phil Davis is not a better defender than Michael Hurley.
Jack Ziebell is a better player than Rory Sloane for mine.

Phil Davis is miles ahead of Hurley at what he brings to a club, Leadership on/off-field AND defensive work

Then why hasn't he ever been mentioned in AA calculations while the other 3 have?

Because All Australian selectors are bias against wingers.

That just further proves the guys point, Fyfe is obviously the best Freo Midfielder, but he hardly gets tagged because he would murder any tagger in the air and will still will his way into winning the possession

Hill to Freo is much more important then Rockclif/beams/Hannebery are

Phil Davis is miles ahead of Hurley at what he brings to a club, Leadership on/off-field AND defensive work
Rockcliff can beat a tag - Hill still struggles and can have little impact on a game. I would take the one that can work through a tag - it's what makes the best the best.

Rockcliff can beat a tag - Hill still struggles and can have little impact on a game. I would take the one that can work through a tag - it's what makes the best the best.

Did you watch the semi final? Hill as tagged most of the night and got 28 possessions. Hill can work through tags allot better now.

Did you watch the semi final? Hill as tagged most of the night and got 28 possessions. Hill can work through tags allot better now.
Averaging 22 touches does not put him with the better mids in the afl. 16 and 14 the two weeks prior to the port final shows how inconsistent he is.

Did Cornes go to him in the Port final?

Is this 2011? last game Hill "Struggled" in this year freo won by 50 odd points against Port. Hill has been consistent for years now. The previous game he had a shocker in was the 2013 GF where he butchered the ball (not the only guy who did this either) and was worked out of it by a bigger opponent in Smith

I believe you have no clue and haven't been watching Stephen Hill, Quit and walk away dude. Once you start quoting numbers and then ask about who actually played on him you must realise that your a bit out of your depth in judging im

Averaging 22 touches does not put him with the better mids in the afl. 16 and 14 the two weeks prior to the port final shows how inconsistent he is.

Did Cornes go to him in the Port final?
First of all, Once you start listing numbers, your argument starts to lose weight. He's not there to gather 30 possessions dude. Hill's talent is moving the ball quickly into the Inside 50 and letting the Average Fremantle forwardline get first and best use of the incomming ball, Which he does really well. Rockcliff/Beams/Ect, infact no other mid in the 2008 draft does this as Well as Hill does. Hence Why Hill is much more important to Freo then another Bull Midfielder.

FYI Cornes tagged him in the Semi Final, Ended up with 28 Touches, hurt port Early. had the most inside 50's, But missed 2 pretty getable goals which hurt and would of been against momentum when Port were running over Freo. He was one of the top 3 Freo players in that final and one of the guys who didn't drop their head

Is this 2011? last game Hill "Struggled" in this year freo won by 50 odd points against Port. Hill has been consistent for years now. The previous game he had a shocker in was the 2013 GF where he butchered the ball (not the only guy who did this either) and was worked out of it by a bigger opponent in Smith

I believe you have no clue and haven't been watching Stephen Hill, Quit and walk away dude. Once you start quoting numbers and then ask about who actually played on him you must realise that your a bit out of your depth in judging im

First of all, Once you start listing numbers, your argument starts to lose weight. He's not there to gather 30 possessions dude. Hill's talent is moving the ball quickly into the Inside 50 and letting the Average Fremantle forwardline get first and best use of the incomming ball, Which he does really well. Rockcliff/Beams/Ect, infact no other mid in the 2008 draft does this as Well as Hill does. Hence Why Hill is much more important to Freo then another Bull Midfielder.

FYI Cornes tagged him in the Semi Final, Ended up with 28 Touches, hurt port Early. had the most inside 50's, But missed 2 pretty getable goals which hurt and would of been against momentum when Port were running over Freo. He was one of the top 3 Freo players in that final and one of the guys who didn't drop their head
I listed 14 and 16 as these are proof he still gets taken out of games and Beams and Rockcliff are both better players.

Lol no they aren't. Hill is the most damaging player in our side, he is one of the best kicks in the league. I would take 15 of his touches over 40 of rockliffs any day of the week.
images

Rockliff went from underrated to overrated pretty quickly. Yes he racks up 30+ touches regularly but he does almost nothing with it. Not in the same bracket as Beams and Sloane let alone Fyfe (Who I regard #2 in the AFL).
You rate fyfe above pendlebury and selwood? o_O

1 Beams
2 Hannerbury
3. Rockliff
4. Naitanui
5. Sloane
6. Shuey
7. Breust
8. Motlop
9. Zaharakis
10. Sidebottom
Sidebottom is definately on par with sloane if not a little better. Both hard workers without being flashy but sidebottom kicks more goals and is a much better kick, also averages more disposals. If you want to underrate a player like sidebottom, then you simply cannot put sloane that High. (Btw shuey motlop zaharakis above sidebottom? Seriously?
Naitanui and rockliff are the clear 1 and 2 in this draftdraft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back