NFL 2010 NFL Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2010 NFL Draft - Selection & Discussion Thread

Our new punter

Zoltan Mesko said he'll be star struck when he first meets Tom Brady, who was also a Michigan alum, and the punter sounded a little nervous when he was told his locker would very likely be adjacent to Brady's. Mesko probably won't tell Brady he was actually drafted a round higher, though. "It's not where you start," Mesko said. "It's where you finish."

Travis Goethel, cnnsi.com

Biography: Three-year starter awarded All-Conference honors as a senior. Totals last season included 57/7 after 71/7.5 as a junior.

Positives: Marginally athletic prospect with terrific instincts. Effectively diagnoses the action, remains disciplined with assignments, and positions himself to make plays on the ball. Aggressively works to get involved in the action, puts his shoulders into the ball-carriers, and is a hard hitter. Shows a good nose for the action.

Negatives: Lacks top lateral speed and is not fast to the flanks. Not a quick or sudden defender.

Analysis: Goethel is a thinking man’s football player with a terrific head on his shoulders. He makes up for his lack of athleticism with his ability to diagnose plays as they unfold. Could back up in the middle for a conventional system at the next level.

WTF are the Panthers doing with their QBs. Good picks by them at DE, etc, but they now have Moore-Clausen-Pike-Edwards at QB, all the last three drafted this season
Maybe the Panthers took a page out of my book of idiotic ideas.

Maybe the Panthers took a page out of my book of idiotic ideas.

No your idiotic idea was to draft QBs with 1 and 31, both of them being Franchise QBs.

Jason Campbell 8th OC in 10 years, haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quit your complaining Zarko - you guys picked up the player with the highest upside in the draft. He should make Tuck a whole lot better

Quit your complaining Zarko - you guys picked up the player with the highest upside in the draft. He should make Tuck a whole lot better
How is saying 'Lucky Steelers' complaining?

Very happy with the way The Raiders drafted. Usually they are notorious with the draft as they tend to overreach for workout warriors and speed demons. This year was not the case as they were patient, addressed their defensive needs first in rounds one and two then waited in the later rounds to get the project players. I am most pleased with them waiting and getting Maryland OT Bruce Campbell. Many people (myself included) projecting theyd reach for him in the 1st or 2nd rounds after he lit up the Combine with his speed Power and athleticism for a man of his position . However they remained patient and it paid off with him falling into their laps early in Rd 4. He is still very raw, and inconsistant but all the potential is there for him to be a great player for many years to come. Alabama LB Rolando Mcclain and Texas DT Lamaar houston seem like solid picks in rds 1 and 2. Jared Veldheer seems like a project OT taken from a small school division in rd 3, but the guy is a beast at 6'8 and could develope into a solid player. jacoby Ford WR from clemson was another taken in the fourth round who has speed to burn (ran 4.28 40 yd dash) and should be a good punt/kick returner or third slot receiver. Overall, a supisingly good draft for the Raiders with most websites giving them A grades for their Draft picks.

Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen falling all the way down to 48 in the 2nd round was a suprise with most mocks predicting he would go early in the first, maybe even in the top 8. But the Panthers got a steal with him, and he has the perfect set up to be successful without having the same pressure as Sam Bradford who was drafted # 1 overall.

Texas QB Colt Mccoy was another heavily watched player in the draft, and Cleveland were able to nabb him late in the 3rd round. He will back up Jack Delhomme before he gets his chance to start.

Other players I was interested to see where they would fall include Cincinatti Bearcat WR Mardy Gilyard who was taken by the Rams with the 1st pick in the 4th round, And Virginia Tech OT Ed Wang the first Chinese American taken in the daft going to the Bills in the 5th round. One player who interestingly went Undrafted was Oregon RB Legarette Blount, the player Infamous for punching out a Boise State player after a loss. The guy does have the size and Talent to carve out a solid career in the NFL, but obviously 'Character Issues' put teams off of drafting him. He would go on to Sign as an Undrafted Free Agent to Tennesee. With the position vaccant for Chris Johnsons backup at RB after the Departure of Lendale White, I have high hopes he can earn a spot on the Main Roster. Of course, aslong as he keeps his character issues in check.

Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen falling all the way down to 48 in the 2nd round was a suprise with most mocks predicting he would go early in the first, maybe even in the top 8. But the Panthers got a steal with him, and he has the perfect set up to be successful without having the same pressure as Sam Bradford who was drafted # 1 overall.

You dont think Jimmy Clausen has pressure on him? :p

I'd go so far to argue that he has MORE pressure now than if he'd gone high up in the draft.

You dont think Jimmy Clausen has pressure on him? :p

I'd go so far to argue that he has MORE pressure now than if he'd gone high up in the draft.
No I said he wont have the same pressure that Sam Bradford has which comes with the territory with being the #1 overall pick plus the salary theyre going to pay him. The pressure will still be on though for him to succeed as I said he has all the tools and the right set up over there at Carolina.

Re: 2010 NFL Draft: Selections and Discussion

Here's an interesting article analysing the trades and non-trades that affected the way the Vikings draft went in the first few rounds.

http://min.scout.com/2/966325.html

... at the time the call came from the Jets at No. 29 to Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson, he was on the phone with the Vikings. The clear indication is that, had Wilson been available, he would have been the Vikings’ pick.

Our team has deducted that making the trade out of the first round was intended to be the first of multiple trades. Ideally, a desperate team looking for a player they covet would swallow hard and make a sweetheart offer. The Vikings ran the clock all the way down to the final seconds before taking Chris Cook. The offer they expected, perhaps from a team like the Patriots with three picks in the round, never materialized.

What was intended to be a first-round gambit that resulted in the Vikings having four picks in the second and third rounds wound up being two picks. It was a plan conceived with good intentions, but the only failing was that no team was willing to pay something of value (or at least not as much as the Vikings expected) for the 34th pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back