2014/2015 pre season thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

From reports who is putting in above average pre-seasons and were not regulars last year I want to see --

Amon
Krakouer
Butcher
Ah Chee
Clurey
Young
Moore
Harvey

The following guys do not seem to be "mentioned in dispatches"

S. Gray
Wagner
Russell
Stewart
Shaw
Austin
Howard
Palmer
Logan
Byrne-Jones

Honestly based on the preseason hype, I'd be disappointed if Amon wasn't in the R1 side.
But given a decent run with injuries during the Mickey Mouse Cup, that's what makes selection for round 1 so fascinating. Given the dream scenario that every player on the list is fit and available to face Fremantle, I'm just glad I'm not in the hot seat to pick the final 22. It's a healthy dilemma to have.

We have 45 on the list
Frampton, Redden and Colquhoun wont be ready for Rd 1 as per Ken
Ryder and Monfries are up in the air
Trengove and Chad are no absolute certainties for Rd 1
Which players are still doing modified programs?
3 NAB cup games + internal trial to pick up injuries.
Approx 20 more main training sessions before Rd1 for injuries to happen - remember this is the intense time of year.

We will have between 30 and 42 players available for selection coms round 1.

Last edited:

How many SANFL games did you two watch this year? Because Krakouer was a hell of a lot better than Impey and Amon at that level.

We didn't draft a 26 year old flanker for him to be a break glass in case of emergency last resort. He may take a while to get into the side, but once he gets in he's going to be bloody hard to get out.

I honestly can't see him breaking into the team at any stage during the season unless we have a horrendous run with injury (touch wood). From the players who missed the prelim, I can't see Krakouer getting a game ahead of Impey, Young and Amon. We need to give these kids more experience at AFL level.

Already next Friday's 24C has become 31C. Stand by for 43C for family day.....The bureau tips the weather about as well as I tip footy games.......
Depends on the website you put your trust in too. Weatherzone says 31 but weather.com says 34.

bom.com (bureau of meteorology) also says 31.

Last edited:
I honestly can't see him breaking into the team at any stage during the season unless we have a horrendous run with injury (touch wood). From the players who missed the prelim, I can't see Krakouer getting a game ahead of Impey, Young and Amon. We need to give these kids more experience at AFL level.

It's not 2011 anymore. What we need to do is win games. If Krak's form is ahead of Impey and Amon (as it was last year), then he plays ahead of Impey and Amon. I don't care if he's 20 years old or 40 years old.

The Amon hype is getting a bit carried away. Yes he's having a strong preseason, but he's also a zero-gamer who was taken at pick 68 in the draft. All the same noises that have been made about him this preseason were made about Ben Newton last preseason, and look how that turned out for Ben.

It's 100% who is in better form when it comes to spots in the 22. If Krak was on our list last year, I feel pretty confident he would've had a run at AFL level. If he shows the same form and workrate, there is no reason why he doesn't belong in the team.

As for playing youngsters to get games into them, there are downsides to throwing kids into the top league. Sure, they could be training the house down, playing well for the pies, but the AFL is a big step up which could actually slow their natural development or cause injury. That said, I ultimately think that either that negative or the positives mentioned don't need to come into the equation, we have list ready for greatness, play the team that gets the points.

Except Darcy Byrne-Jones, kid's our next Brownlow medal winner.

If Krak is the best player for that position on selection day, he should be in no doubt.
Playing kids is good to get games in to them but if Krak is the best for that position he should be chosen.

Sucks for the younger guys that its hard to get games but it'll push them to work hard.
Which is exactly what makes a great team successful. If every player continually has to work his bum off, for fear of having his spot taken by somebody else, it's a healthy environment to be in.

If Krak is the best player for that position on selection day, he should be in no doubt.
Playing kids is good to get games in to them but if Krak is the best for that position he should be chosen.

Sucks for the younger guys that its hard to get games but it'll push them to work hard.

Selection strategy changes a little depending on how close the side is to winning something. It's easier to get games into youngsters when your kid pack than when your in it up to your eyeballs - and when it gets to that pointy end it is always 'best man for the job on the given day' or you're kidding yourself.

Krak wasn't picked up for sentimental reasons - the club believes he is good enough to make our first 22. I wouldn't rule him out of round 1 if his performance warrants. Playing Amon because of his youth is not how Ken works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez we are right in the mix for a flag this year and people are suggesting we must play kids first?! C'mon... If Krak is in the best form, he bloody well plays ahead of any of them.

This. The whole group also know this is the case.. everyone want's best for the team and there will be no bad blood regarding selection. Just makes training that little bit more intense. If Ken thinks Krak should play ahead of Amon, then in Kern we trust.

Krak wasn't picked up for sentimental reasons - the club believes he is good enough to make our first 22. I wouldn't rule him out of round 1 if his performance warrants. Playing Amon because of his youth is not how Ken works.
I'm not so sure , Ken played Neade in 2013 when he probably could've left him to build in the SANFL and Impey last year so maybe Ken picks the best young player for the year and gives them a go , could be Amon this year

If Trengove has to support Lobbe in the ruck then it could be Clurey's turn.

Trengove has to be ready by round 1 which is not guaranteed.

We should still lobby (pardon pun etc) the AFL for the right to pick up a couple of state league players to complete our playing list for however long Ryder and Monfries are out of action. The prisoner of gravity Baulderstone would come under consideration although the chances of any sanfl player coming in and making an impact with no pre-season behind them is very unlikely.

The question of whether Krak is even available for selection early would usually rest on injured players. At the moment Redden will not start but is he long-term? We don't know exactly what will happen with Ryder and Monfries and even whether we will be able to use a rookie, although it does seem likely. I have heard of another possible injury, can't remember who it was or even whether it was long-term but it was one of the first-year players.

However a rookie may be elevated in the situation where a team does not have its full quota of veterans(2) so for salary cap purposes may use a rookie. A veteran has 10 years at the primary club and only Cornes meets this requirement, Casissi having retired last year and our other 10+ players coming from other clubs and having played less than 10 at Port Adelaide.

Generally speaking, a rookie-listed player cannot be selected to play in the senior AFL competition, and must play in state-level affiliated teams, except in two circumstances:
  • At the start of a season, a club can nominate up to two veterans from its senior list for salary cap reasons; if a team does not have a full quota of veterans, it can make up the balance by nominating rookies to be eligible for senior selection. These players are known as nominated rookies.
  • If a senior-listed player is moved onto the long-term injury list, a rookie-listed player can be temporarily elevated in his place, becoming eligible for senior selection, while the senior player remains injured.

Geez we are right in the mix for a flag this year and people are suggesting we must play kids first?! C'mon... If Krak is in the best form, he bloody well plays ahead of any of them.
And what has Krakouer shown at AFL level to jump the queue ahead of the other players on our list?

The question of whether Krak is even available for selection early would usually rest on injured players. At the moment Redden will not start but is he long-term? We don't know exactly what will happen with Ryder and Monfries and even whether we will be able to use a rookie, although it does seem likely. I have heard of another possible injury, can't remember who it was or even whether it was long-term but it was one of the first-year players.

However a rookie may be elevated in the situation where a team does not have its full quota of veterans(2) so for salary cap purposes may use a rookie. A veteran has 10 years at the primary club and only Cornes meets this requirement, Casissi having retired last year and our other 10+ players coming from other clubs and having played less than 10 at Port Adelaide.

Generally speaking, a rookie-listed player cannot be selected to play in the senior AFL competition, and must play in state-level affiliated teams, except in two circumstances:
  • At the start of a season, a club can nominate up to two veterans from its senior list for salary cap reasons; if a team does not have a full quota of veterans, it can make up the balance by nominating rookies to be eligible for senior selection. These players are known as nominated rookies.
  • If a senior-listed player is moved onto the long-term injury list, a rookie-listed player can be temporarily elevated in his place, becoming eligible for senior selection, while the senior player remains injured.

Frampton has just been placed on the LTI list so there's a clear path for Krakouer to have a round 1 return.

And what has Krakouer shown at AFL level to jump the queue ahead of the other players on our list?
No one said he is a walk up start, we are arguing the fact that we should play the kids first on principal. However what has Amon shown at AFL level if you want to have that discussion? What most people are trying to say here is that whoever is in better form plays, irrespective of who they are and their age. We are playing for a god damn flag this year, it is no longer a case of getting games into players. It is win at all cost.

I think Amon is going to be a gun, however he still has a long way to go. He is still very small and very raw. Every year a player gets the media hype, 9/10 times it goes no where in the actual season.

I'm not so sure , Ken played Neade in 2013 when he probably could've left him to build in the SANFL and Impey last year so maybe Ken picks the best young player for the year and gives them a go , could be Amon this year
2013 we were still rebuilding, 2015 we are playing for a flag. It is as simple as that.

What has Amon shown at AFL level? Very strange post.
I would rather we give Impey, Young and Amon a chance of playing AFL first instead of playing a 26yr old who has failed at his two previous attempts at AFL.

I would hate to think that players like Impey, Amon and Young would move elsewhere because of lack of opportunity because we played Krakouer instead.

It might be harsh but that is how I feel.

5 goals & 20 touches for the newly established Suns against Brisbane in their first derby win is a bit more than a few of our fringe players have done at AFL level.

I get your point moreso with my buddy Youngy but position wise Krak would be vying for a spot as a def/fwd whereas the battle for a pure inside mid role is really tough, experience will be crucial this year especially if we need someone to slot into Gus' role for a little while.

No one is saying Krakouer is a walk up start but if he's deemed to be in better form for the role needed than a few of the youngsters I'll trust the coaching/selection staffs decision if they choose to play him in our best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back