2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Still a lot to play out in regards to where we finish. Our first pick can range from 2 to 5 depending on our game vs Melb and then Melb vs GWS. In regards to Wright I agree with us not taking him but if we do finish with pick five and he's still there then icant see us passing.
Melbourne will surely throw the game against us.

In all seriousness though Frawley would be worth around pick 10. The only problem is the extra pick knocks ours down.

We might end up with pick 6 or 7. It was interesting on Mick Turner's interview with Mike Sheehan that he rates Hugh Goddard as the second best underage player through the Geelong Falcons, only second to Luke Hodge. Might be Turner talking up Goddard after his rating seems to have cooled. That sort of review from Turner would almost be enough to take him at pick 6. Having an oversized utility/mid on our list would be sensational eg. Bontompelli

We might end up with pick 6 or 7. It was interesting on Mick Turner's interview with Mike Sheehan that he rates Hugh Goddard as the second best underage player through the Geelong Falcons, only second to Luke Hodge. Might be Turner talking up Goddard after his rating seems to have cooled. That sort of review from Turner would almost be enough to take him at pick 6. Having an oversized utility/mid on our list would be sensational eg. Bontompelli

Jesus Christ, Turner makes that statement EVERY year. Does he expect people to still listen to him?

who are the previous examples apart from Ben Cunnington? ha

Lewy Taylor, Lachie Henderson and a bunch of others.

Don't think I can remember a year where Turner isn't describing the latest Falcons great white hope as "the best kid to come through our system since Luke Hodge/Jonathan Brown".

Wouldn't be a draft without Turner talking up his charges. Does it every year.

Cordy and Goddard this year, Dahlhaus, Henderson, Boak among others. Not saying he doesn't make the right call on players' abilities, but he does go for hyberbole.

A lot of the Goddard talk on here has been pretty negative recently, particularly in regard to his ability to play forward.
So it now looks like we'll have pick 5 if we beat Melbourne (and Frawley leaves) or pick 3 if we lose to Melbourne.

Will be very interesting if Wright and McCartin go if we'll take the best mid or someone like Durdin or Goddard.

Will also depend on our academy picks given we could take anywhere between 1 and 3 KPPs from the academy.
Is anyone really going to pay that much for Frawley?
I'm not convinced.

A lot of the Goddard talk on here has been pretty negative recently, particularly in regard to his ability to play forward.

Is anyone really going to pay that much for Frawley?
I'm not convinced.

From the sounds of things half a dozen clubs are after Frawley. He'll easily get the same cash Daisy or Betts are on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a question for fun (partly out of interest, partly out of not knowing much), if we hypothetically get pick 5 and the top 4 taken are McCartin, Wright, Petracca and Durdin, who would you like the club to take?

Would be very hard to say no to Brayshaw. Laverde would also be tempting and Pickett would be a good fit. Lever would be good but probably overkill with all the talented young defenders we already have.

if we get pick 3 and wright and mccartin go 1 and 2, who do we take

Melbourne vs GWS later this season ;)

We'll have pick # 3 :cool:

Not if we win next weekend. Would move us two matches above both GWS and Melbourne provided GWS lose to Richmond. The winner of Melbourne vs. GWS would still be below us unless they pick up a win elsewhere.

Note, I'm not saying we shouldn't win next week, just discussing the draft order implications of the remaining fixtures.

Lewy Taylor, Lachie Henderson and a bunch of others.

Don't think I can remember a year where Turner isn't describing the latest Falcons great white hope as "the best kid to come through our system since Luke Hodge/Jonathan Brown".
If people are in any doubt of the lengths that Mick will go to re watch the open Mike with him. To be fair all of the kids that he has talked up can play but there is a vested interest in what he has to say and so you need to water it down.

Just watched the Qld u/18 vs Nth Ballarat.
What I learn't was:

• Keays confirmed he is a "hotter prospect" at this stage of his development than either Conway or Dawson were (at the same stage - post Champs - under age year)
  • Hammelmann is a genuine KPF prospect (I had not been fully convinced until today)
  • Andrews went past Uebergang as a tall prospect (late to rookie) - but I haven't given up on "Uebs".

Else for Qld:
Wagner had a busy game, showed some skill.
Haberfield has to be, "pound for pound", the toughest kid in this years draft (if he is draft eligible age ???) - "3 Stone ringing wet & 4ft Nuthin' " and ripped in all day.
First time I've seen a kid named Blood play - and liked what I saw. If he is Draft eligible age, I would be keen to see his testing results - appeared to have genuine pace and a very safe pair of hands - worth keeping an eye on.

For Nth. Ballarat:
Hopper is worth a second look (interested to see how he "tests").
Templeton, who I have seen game footage of playing as a midfielder, looked good across half back - has good disposal by both hand & foot, and sure hands.

Just some observations for those interested.

If people are in any doubt of the lengths that Mick will go to re watch the open Mike with him. To be fair all of the kids that he has talked up can play but there is a vested interest in what he has to say and so you need to water it down.

The only thing I cam away with from that interview other than him talking up all his players was that he talked up himself more. I have not seen that much self rooting since capper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back