2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Or get him as a free agent next year. :)

That's when I'd try. Bugger giving up valuable draft picks this year at the expense of bringing in more talent and give Collingwood nothing for him next year.

Plus we get another year into everyone and by 2016 I reckon we'd be just about ready to push for the eight.

That's when I'd try. Bugger giving up valuable draft picks this year at the expense of bringing in more talent and give Collingwood nothing for him next year.

Plus we get another year into everyone and by 2016 I reckon we'd be just about ready to push for the eight.

Rather use pick 5 on an absolute certain star for the next 7 years than speculate with a youngster and lose Beams to the Coast if they start to dominate and really look like a flag favourite and the only QLD team you want to go to!

I agree with others in that we should push hard for Beams during his FA year. It will give Leppa another year of list management to see where he how he wants to play the game, another year into our young guns and the ability for us to hopefully draft in a quality KPP. Let's just hope Collingwood continue sliding next season and we make the 8.

Beams has only played seven years and therefore isn't a free agent. I'd be all for trading our top pick for him though. Maybe even top two picks if we end up with pick 5 or so.

Ah really? My bad then. Would definitely use our first to secure him if we can't land a decent key forward in the draft and of course if he actually wants to leave.

I'd like to see everyone's opinions about what Stef Martins trade value is right now. What/who would you take for him on his current form? Two clubs I could possibly see going after Stef are Geelong & Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see everyone's opinions about what Stef Martins trade value is right now. What/who would you take for him on his current form? Two clubs I could possibly see going after Stef are Geelong & Carlton.
We need to keep Martin we can't risk Leuey going down again. Really don't have any back up without him unless we get Wright in the draft

Out of contract at the end of the season - we have at least found out a few things for him, us and anyone else who cares.

1. He is an elite mobile tap ruckman with excellent ball skills ( Basketball background)
2. He is rubbish as a Key Forward

Given age and our somewhat embarrassment of riches in this area we are going to have to recontract him now (I am not against this) or risk losing him for nought at the end of the year.

West was recruited to play the Forward / Relief Ruck role and he does it well. Personally I think Luey and Martin only have one position and that's first ruck with the occasional chop out, neither are key forward in any ways shape or form in my thinking. Martin has proved this time and time again - he simply has no idea where to run. Luey has more scope, but as a forward pocket, not as a leading player or battering ram.

I can't see how we would be able to keep all three happy when fit and firing, giving the development time that goes into the role and the need to cash in while you can. I have no idea what to do, so I'll trust the club can work its way through it and get a good result for us.

Josh Clayton and Tyler Roos both invited to the combine according to this thread.

Also:
QUEENSLAND
Harris Andrews Aspley
Liam Dawson Aspley
Matt Hammelmann Morningside
Nick Jackson Aspley
Braydon Preuss Mt Gravatt
Matthew Uebergang Ipswich
Lachie Weller Broadbeach
--
Noteworthy that there's not one kid zoned to GC among 'em.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-28/huge-rise-in-northern-talent
A QUARTER of the players invited to attend this year's NAB AFL Draft Combine will come from Queensland and New South Wales/ACT in a tick for the League's developing regions.

A list of 96 players invited to the four-day testing at Etihad Stadium in October was released on Monday, with 19 selected via the Queensland and NSW/ACT Rams squads from the recent under-18 championships.

Last year just six players from the teams featured in the initial draft combine list.

Most of this year's group are already tied to northern clubs via the academy program, which the AFL is reviewing and will consider changing for this year's draft.

On Friday, the Sydney Swans, Greater Western Sydney, Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast will need to nominate the players they are considering drafting as academy prospects, with final-round nominations to come on the last day of the combine.

That is really something. We have bidding rights on seven of the 96 players attending the combine.

I mean, you'd expect QLD and NSW players to be more likely to be invited, as there's a bit of an information gap, but still that's a great position for us to be in, even with revised bidding rules.

I'd assumed there was a fair bit of disingenuousness with the focus on Heeney and the Swans, but perhaps there was more to that than we realised. Presumably there are a number of clubs out there looking at the likes of Jackson, Andrews, Uebergang, Roos and Clayton with 3rd and 4th rnd picks, who aren't keen on having us pinch them with something right at the end of the draft.

That is really something. We have bidding rights on seven of the 96 players attending the combine.

I mean, you'd expect QLD and NSW players to be more likely to be invited, as there's a bit of an information gap, but still that's a great position for us to be in, even with revised bidding rules.

I'd assumed there was a fair bit of disingenuousness with the focus on Heeney and the Swans, but perhaps there was more to that than we realised. Presumably there are a number of clubs out there looking at the likes of Jackson, Andrews, Uebergang, Roos and Clayton with 3rd and 4th rnd picks, who aren't keen on having us pinch them with something right at the end of the draft.

4th round at the very earliest for that lot me thinks :footy:

We need all of Leuy, Martin and West, Leuy will go down again, who knows how West will be after his knee and right now Martin is a gem and a big part of our improvement. Trade value should be good, Collingwood would definitely be looking at him but you'd want something good in return. Personally i'd keep all 3 rucks on the list. Play Martin as full time ruck (can't believe i'm saying this), Leuy or West up forward.

Sure will. Even though if the academies werent around it would be probably back in single figures and the draft pool would be weaker as the northern clubs then need to draft more from the trad footy states.

It is growing the talent pool, leaving more talented Vic, SA and WA players for the rest of them. They should be happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back