2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Have heard GWS are fans of Durdin.
Gws will go petracca if melbourne doesnt snatch him. Failing that they will likely go durdin. Melbourne will probably send everyone with a broken fingernail off for surgery now and start experimenting with positional changes. Whether they succeed in losing to gws or not likely draft order will go mccartin, petracca, durdin with dees compo pick being wright or brayshaw. No idea which one theyd take, they need both. Maybe brayshaw?

Gws will go petracca if melbourne doesnt snatch him. Failing that they will likely go durdin. Melbourne will probably send everyone with a broken fingernail off for surgery now and start experimenting with positional changes. Whether they succeed in losing to gws or not likely draft order will go mccartin, petracca, durdin with dees compo pick being wright or brayshaw. No idea which one theyd take, they need both. Maybe brayshaw?
So does that mean we take Brayshaw or Wright

So does that mean we take Brayshaw or Wright
i would be happy if we got one of those two at pick 5, just a question if we put luey up for trade and some team offered a top 10 pick, would anyone take it

i would be happy if we got one of those two at pick 5, just a question if we put luey up for trade and some team offered a top 10 pick, would anyone take it

Kinda moot because no team would offer close to that.

Not sure we should be dicing with trading loyal players. Our culture is still very tenuous.

I'm still hoping we'll have our second pick free. Hopefully Hammerman and Dawson take it easy at the combine.

Brayshaw yesterday. Wasn't that impressed but conditions may not have suited (wet and heavy).
PZ0A0035_1.jpg

Im not worried about what pick we have. We should still end up around top 5 and that still gives us a top kid to add to the list. I also hope we still have our 2nd pick free to use in the draft, think the early 20s will still get us some quality.

I still hope we can land Wright, as we do still need a forward target, but if we miss we will get a top 3 mid in the draft, which is a nice consolation prize. I do think we need another Rocky, inside ball winning clearance mid that can find the ball and average 30 touches a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. If say for example we get pick 5 or 6 depending on Frawley etc. we could do a pick upgrade. pick 6+Berger for Melbournes pick 2 and possibly steak knives. It would depend if we really want someone and they won't slide for example Petracca.

Last edited:
Why would we trade a club man and top rated player to advance 3 or 4 spots in the draft. I know we have a past of losing players below their worth, but we dont have to give it up by choice.

what if we were to get pick 5, should we consider trying to convince jon patton to come up to brisbane. with someone like brown giving him advice every few weeks (if he does not take a coaching job with us), patton could end up being a star very quickly.

Last edited:
Why would we trade a club man and top rated player to advance 3 or 4 spots in the draft. I know we have a past of losing players below their worth, but we dont have to give it up by choice.
Those 4 draft spots could be the difference between a highly rated forward and a not so highly rated forward. A Wright and a Goddard. This is where the AFL needs to bring in on the spot trading during the draft night like the NFL does.

Interesting. If say for example we get pick 5 or 6 depending on Frawley etc. we could do a pick upgrade. pick 6+Berger for Melbournes pick 2 and possibly steak knives. It would depend if we really want someone and they won't slide for example Petracca.

You are really getting annoying about trading Leuenberger now.

We get it, you don't rate him. Move on. You don't have to beat the dead horse every few posts.

He's a loyal clubman, he's not going anywhere.

Those 4 draft spots could be the difference between a highly rated forward and a not so highly rated forward. A Wright and a Goddard. This is where the AFL needs to bring in on the spot trading during the draft night like the NFL does.
this is what i was thinking, i mean it makes it alot easier to trade up or down if you know how the draft is actually turning out. for example last year when aish slipped to us at 7, im sure more than a few teams would have called us up with a trade offer.

And a great message it sends to players we drafy. We are willing to trade you despite your loyalty for 3 or 4 draft spots. To trade a player like Bergs for that is just horrible list management.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back