List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't see Cockatoo getting to our pick. North would get him at their second pick if he's still there.

I like Cockatoo, but I can see him being snatched just before our first, if he goes that late. There are always surprises, though. We can't miss McDonald if he makes it to our first, and I'm bullish on Menadue.

Cripps is one I admittedly haven't paid too much attention to, but phantom write-ups are encouraging and I've liked the limited footage I've seen. It's hard to follow the WAFL too closely along with balancing other things, it'll be a great day when all the state leagues/U18 comps are more accessible.

I think Drummond and Goodyear could really have an impact in their first years. Drummond appears versatile and tough, and Goodyear just positions himself well and uses the ball well under pressure.

We're absolutely laughing getting Cordy at 64, really.

26 - Oscar McDonald - 196cm KPP - North Ballarat
27 - Connor Menadue - 188cm MID - Western Jets
39 - Jack Cripps - 198cm RUC - East Fremantle
45 - Nathan Drummond - 181cm MID - Murray Bushrangers
46 - Matthew Goodyear - 185cm MID - Calder Cannons
64 - Zaine Cordy - 192cm DEF - Geelong Falcons

Rookie:
- Mitch Jensen - 176cm DEF - Footscray
- Darcy Cameron - 203cm RUC - Claremont
- Jayden Foster - 194cm FWD - Calder Cannons - maybe.

Which players would people like to add to the rookie list?

I just can't see Cockatoo getting to our pick. North would get him at their second pick if he's still there.

Agree can't see him getting to us. Although if we got both Menadue and Cockatoo our midfield would be complete with a great balance of inside and outside as well as some nice speed and skills to compliment the grunt we already have.

Agree can't see him getting to us. Although if we got both Menadue and Cockatoo our midfield would be complete with a great balance of inside and outside as well as some nice speed and skills to compliment the grunt we already have.
Always next year to get a second of this type
just hope we get one this year first!

I like Darcy Cameron as a rookie
NathanMJ_WB54

Always next year to get a second of this type
just hope we get one this year first!

I like Darcy Cameron as a rookie
NathanMJ_WB54

Love to be able to get two quick mids with our early picks then have a crack at Carlisle or trade our 2015 second rounder for a reliable key defender. Think its the best way not only to speed up our push up the ladder but also will allow us to give Bontempelli and Stringer more time in the forward half which will make us very very dangerous. Interesting what our draft philosophy is this year. Because we have so many picks inside the top 50 can we go on a needs basis or do we go best available. For the first time in 3 - 4 drafts I'm leaning towards needs basis. Although if we finish bottom 4 in 2015 which we are around a 50/50 shot then we will get one of those highly rated mids that the 2015 draft possesses, so it becomes very interesting how we approach this. I am more than happy to get McDonald with one of 26 or 26 but I'd love 2 players with speed and skills there too. Decisions Decsions. Wonder if the 2015 draft and its quality will have any factor whatsoever in who we draft this year.

Love to be able to get two quick mids with our early picks then have a crack at Carlisle or trade our 2015 second rounder for a reliable key defender. Think its the best way not only to speed up our push up the ladder but also will allow us to give Bontempelli and Stringer more time in the forward half which will make us very very dangerous. Interesting what our draft philosophy is this year. Because we have so many picks inside the top 50 can we go on a needs basis or do we go best available. For the first time in 3 - 4 drafts I'm leaning towards needs basis. Although if we finish bottom 4 in 2015 which we are around a 50/50 shot then we will get one of those highly rated mids that the 2015 draft possesses, so it becomes very interesting how we approach this. I am more than happy to get McDonald with one of 26 or 26 but I'd love 2 players with speed and skills there too. Decisions Decsions. Wonder if the 2015 draft and its quality will have any factor whatsoever in who we draft this year.
think that we can do a little bit of both, particularly if our listed best available players aren't on the table any longer

we'd definitely have an eye on the next year, scouts start years & years early

Rookie list composition,
two DFA utilities Jack Hutchins and Jordan Kelly
both 191 cm 94kg and 85 kg respectively
With an eye to replace Morris and Murphy when
they call it a day.Provides us with two big
bodies who can fill multiple roles.

I like Cockatoo, but I can see him being snatched just before our first, if he goes that late. There are always surprises, though. We can't miss McDonald if he makes it to our first, and I'm bullish on Menadue.

Cripps is one I admittedly haven't paid too much attention to, but phantom write-ups are encouraging and I've liked the limited footage I've seen. It's hard to follow the WAFL too closely along with balancing other things, it'll be a great day when all the state leagues/U18 comps are more accessible.

I think Drummond and Goodyear could really have an impact in their first years. Drummond appears versatile and tough, and Goodyear just positions himself well and uses the ball well under pressure.

We're absolutely laughing getting Cordy at 64, really.

26 - Oscar McDonald - 196cm KPP - North Ballarat
27 - Connor Menadue - 188cm MID - Western Jets
39 - Jack Cripps - 198cm RUC - East Fremantle
45 - Nathan Drummond - 181cm MID - Murray Bushrangers
46 - Matthew Goodyear - 185cm MID - Calder Cannons
64 - Zaine Cordy - 192cm DEF - Geelong Falcons

Rookie:
- Mitch Jensen - 176cm DEF - Footscray
- Darcy Cameron - 203cm RUC - Claremont
- Jayden Foster - 194cm FWD - Calder Cannons - maybe.

Which players would people like to add to the rookie list?

Agree on Z Cordy, I am hoping he is like Luke, Joel or Dayne rather than Sam, Patrick or Clay (Power, Bowden or Beams)

NathanMJ_WB54

Assuming the club is keen to pick ready to go players (players ready to go R1 next year) who do you think we are most likely to pick (assuming its not McDonald and Menadue in this instance). In short who is the best of the ready to go players in this draft likely to available at our pick?

Assuming the club is keen to pick ready to go players (players ready to go R1 next year) who do you think we are most likely to pick (assuming its not McDonald and Menadue in this instance). In short who is the best of the ready to go players in this draft likely to available at our pick?

I really doubt we will be that short sighted.

I really doubt we will be that short sighted.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that we are looking to draft ready to go players. Sometimes you need to balance short term need with longer term. While I am not saying we should go down this path there is an argument for it given our recent loss of experience and how thin our list is, a few injuries and we will be screwed very quickly next year.

Sure Menadue at 69kg may be best thing since sliced bread, then again he may never put on enough size to be an AFL player, or he may never learn to get his own ball.

Since Macca's arrival there was a marked shift in our drafting. Away from 'long shots' like Howard, Williams, Grant, etc to drafting good mids (Smith, Macrae, Bonts, Hrovat). The stats are clear, out of early picks 80% of 'inside mids' make it, 40% of talls and outside mids/flankers make it. Paul Roos clearly subscribes to the same philosophy.

While it wasn't my point, I hope that our high top 30 draft picks are not used on KPs and outside mids/flankers as a general rule. And further inside mids are the guys most ready to go.

So no I don't think its short sighted to go after ready to play inside mids as long they can bring a different skill set than what we have (like Gore), it makes statistical sense to use our picks where we will get the most impact and likelihood of success.

No more Clayton long shots, lets just back the sure things with our high draft picks.

These are my thoughts exactly - Get the classy fast ball users through the draft and trade in the key defenders & rucks later.

I also think this is the perfect draft to lean towards needs based players. Lots of talls and outside types, and our first pick is in the second round so their may not be any real standout players that would be hard to pass on.
I'm sure we won't be compomising our draft philosophy, but just feel like things could line up nicely for us.

I'm really excited to see who we end up with.

Agree on Z Cordy, I am hoping he is like Luke, Joel or Dayne rather than Sam, Patrick or Clay (Power, Bowden or Beams)

NathanMJ_WB54

I'm unsure. A few believe Dean Gore could walk straight in and perform at a reasonable level, but I'm not so sure about him. I like McDonald's chances, but I'd feel for any tall in our backline, even if he's the third or fourth in line.

I think we go for guys like Menadue at our first, because they won't be there later on, whereas guys who should be able to play Round 1 and do rather well (yet obviously have their limitations, hence they're available at our later picks), such as Drummond and Goodyear, should be available at 39, 45 and 46.

I'm unsure. A few believe Dean Gore could walk straight in and perform at a reasonable level, but I'm not so sure about him. I like McDonald's chances, but I'd feel for any tall in our backline, even if he's the third or fourth in line.

I think we go for guys like Menadue at our first, because they won't be there later on, whereas guys who should be able to play Round 1 and do rather well (yet obviously have their limitations, hence they're available at our later picks), such as Drummond and Goodyear, should be available at 39, 45 and 46.
Goodyear will probably be there at the rookie draft, let alone 45-46 :p

Drummond played in Richmonds VFL side and didn't look out of place, but Gore has played in SANFL against men as well

I think he could have a spot in a team, similar to Vlaustin from the Tigers

Pretty sure I read somewhere that we are looking to draft ready to go players. Sometimes you need to balance short term need with longer term. While I am not saying we should go down this path there is an argument for it given our recent loss of experience and how thin our list is, a few injuries and we will be screwed very quickly next year.
Yeah, I said that

was sitting next to JMac and was talking about this

players like Gore/Maynard/Drummond would likely all be on our radar
I hope Blakely is another player we'd consider if he fell to one of our picks

McLaren or McDonald I think would really suit us as KPDs later in the draft, both tall & athletic and over 195cm
I've never seen McDonald live, so I'm a little bias when I say that I'd prefer McLaren

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if anyone has posted this before, but a quick look at what our picks have produced in the last 4 drafts:

26 - Zach Merrett
27 - Sean lemmens
39 - cameron giles
45 - Mitch Harvey
46 - Riley knight

26 - jack Viney
27 - James Stewart
39 - max Duffy
45 - brant colledge
46 - Tim membrey

26 - Todd elton
27 - Sam kerridge
39 - Michael Talia
45 - Brendan ah Chee
46 - nick Joyce

26 - jack darling
27 - Kieran Harper
39 - Jeremy Taylor
45 - Alex fasolo
46 - Daniel farmer

Bottom line is, if dalrymple gets this right, we should land a couple of best 22 players for the next decade or so.

Goodyear will probably be there at the rookie draft, let alone 45-46 :p

Drummond played in Richmonds VFL side and didn't look out of place, but Gore has played in SANFL against men as well

I think he could have a spot in a team, similar to Vlaustin from the Tigers

Yeah, I said that

was sitting next to JMac and was talking about this

players like Gore/Maynard/Drummond would likely all be on our radar
I hope Blakely is another player we'd consider if he fell to one of our picks

McLaren or McDonald I think would really suit us as KPDs later in the draft, both tall & athletic and over 195cm
I've never seen McDonald live, so I'm a little bias when I say that I'd prefer McLaren
I like Goodyear, I think he'd fit in well. Drummond's one I really like.

Vlastuin's slotted in seamlessly, if we can get anyone capable of playing as many games as he has and even going close to his output, we'll have done alright. He's got a few mature bodies around him, though. Draftees coming into our team won't have such a luxury.

I'm just desperately hoping we don't stuff this one up. JMac and Dalrymple have been brilliant for the last 3 years, at the trade table and at the draft, but after nailing the last 3, I don't want to go back to the way it used to be. :p

A lot of talk about getting players in with a bit of pace and good ball use but I'm surprised there hasn't been much talk about Shannon Taylor. Not that I've seen, anyway.

Really talented WA kid from a couple years back who then fell off the face of the earth just before draft time. He popped up about 12 months ago in Melbourne and has played the last season in the VFL with Frankston. There's a lot of talk surrounding Pickett and Garlett but IMO Taylor was just about the equal of them 2 years back. Fast, technically an excellent kick but also very intelligent with his ball use; knows how to utilise space.

20 years old, nice kid who seems to have got his head sorted, supposedly settled in Melbourne and won't cost a pick inside 20 to grab him. If there is any recruiter in Melbourne not sounding this kid out with a late pick then it's nothing short of incompetence on their part.

Not sure if anyone has posted this before, but a quick look at what our picks have produced in the last 4 drafts:

26 - Zach Merrett
27 - Sean lemmens
39 - cameron giles
45 - Mitch Harvey
46 - Riley knight

26 - jack Viney
27 - James Stewart
39 - max Duffy
45 - brant colledge
46 - Tim membrey

26 - Todd elton
27 - Sam kerridge
39 - Michael Talia
45 - Brendan ah Chee
46 - nick Joyce

26 - jack darling
27 - Kieran Harper
39 - Jeremy Taylor
45 - Alex fasolo
46 - Daniel farmer

Bottom line is, if dalrymple gets this right, we should land a couple of best 22 players for the next decade or so.

This draft is where Dalrymple makes his coin. Odds of screwing up a first round pick are not high (but its been done....Howard, Grant, Williams, etc). But nailing these 20-40 range picks are key. In fact, I will say if we can't nail these picks, we are going to struggle to win a premiership. We already have a core now that will play finals in 2-3 years, but with all the systemic disadvantages against us (GC, GWS, FA) that core won't be enough to get a premiership.

We need to be very good and lucky in this draft, otherwise I think we come up short when we are contending in 4-7 years.

This draft is where Dalrymple makes his coin. Odds of screwing up a first round pick are not high (but its been done....Howard, Grant, Williams, etc). But nailing these 20-40 range picks are key. In fact, I will say if we can't nail these picks, we are going to struggle to win a premiership. We already have a core now that will play finals in 2-3 years, but with all the systemic disadvantages against us (GC, GWS, FA) that core won't be enough to get a premiership.

We need to be very good and lucky in this draft, otherwise I think we come up short when we are contending in 4-7 years.

Agreed... November 27th can't come around quick enough...

together.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-01/live-pick-low-for-draft
DESPITE the strong depth in this year's NAB AFL Draft, there is set to be fewer than 70 live selections when clubs meet at the Gold Coast.

Teams are expected to take a total of approximately 65 live picks to the draft on November 27, with another 12 selections already confirmed as father-son or academy picks.

It means there will be upwards of 80 players joining senior lists, which is still a significant jump from last year's lowly total of 62 (which included the three father-son and academy prospects).

The Western Bulldogs hold the most live selections with five
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-01/live-pick-low-for-draft

26 - Zach Merrett
27 - Sean lemmens
39 - cameron giles
45 - Mitch Harvey
46 - Riley knight

26 - jack Viney
27 - James Stewart
39 - max Duffy
45 - brant colledge
46 - Tim membrey

26 - Todd elton
27 - Sam kerridge
39 - Michael Talia
45 - Brendan ah Chee
46 - nick Joyce

26 - jack darling
27 - Kieran Harper
39 - Jeremy Taylor
45 - Alex fasolo
46 - Daniel farmer

Only players (not F/S) of worth there are Merrett and Darling. Shows how hard picks are to get right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back