List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

So, anyone notice Jared Hardisty in the U18's championships? I believe he was one of the last chosen in the squad. But he made the most of his opportunity and sure as hell stood up down back/midfield for us. Seemed tough as old boots, just gets the ball out of any pack and displayed great composure as well as being capable on his non-preferred right foot too. Probably a rookie pick and could possibly slim down a bit (which may help with his pace) but really would be fairly happy to see him picked up.

Any of you blokes heard of this bloke from South Fremantle colts? Bob Maumil mentioned him yesterday. 203cm ruckman /forward who's kicked 57 goals 28 points this year. Apparently a few clubs are looking at him and he's been invited to the draft combine. Cameron Loersch

http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4791

He's 203cm and weighs 102 kgs.

Can play ruck, but is mainly a key forward in the making. He apparently didn't get 5 club invites to go to the national draft combine, but has been selected along with Hayden Schloithe to take part in the state combine this year.

http://www.southfremantlefc.com.au/news/6510/six-bulldogs-teenagers-and-schloithe-grab-afl-attention

So, anyone notice Jared Hardisty in the U18's championships? I believe he was one of the last chosen in the squad. But he made the most of his opportunity and sure as hell stood up down back/midfield for us. Seemed tough as old boots, just gets the ball out of any pack and displayed great composure as well as being capable on his non-preferred right foot too. Probably a rookie pick and could possibly slim down a bit (which may help with his pace) but really would be fairly happy to see him picked up.
I like him as a player, good bloke too, however one thing I will say is i'm not sure about his versatility? Would he be able to compete with the bigger bodies in the AFL through the middle/contested ball? If not then I think it's a big no! As you sort of touched on he aint that quick.

I like him as a player, good bloke too, however one thing I will say is i'm not sure about his versatility? Would he be able to compete with the bigger bodies in the AFL through the middle/contested ball? If not then I think it's a big no! As you sort of touched on he aint that quick.
Yeh, as I said, probably a rookie chance. I just liked that every pack he entered - he seemed to extract the pill and then not waste it.
Always been a big fan of those types. I first noticed Tendai before he was drafted for that very same reason. Only Tendai seems to have a big tank to go with it.

Yeh, as I said, probably a rookie chance. I just liked that every pack he entered - he seemed to extract the pill and then not waste it.
Always been a big fan of those types. I first noticed Tendai before he was drafted for that very same reason. Only Tendai seems to have a big tank to go with it.
thing is; Tendai was a gun at this at level below, but at AFL level, isn't a star when it comes to contested footy. Hardisty then, will need another strength IMO to make it at afl, such as tendai's tank.

Excuse if it's already been talked about but Tom Lamb has smashed it in the 3k time trial and beep test and has some great wraps. Would we consider this guy as our first round draft pick?

Excuse if it's already been talked about but Tom Lamb has smashed it in the 3k time trial and beep test and has some great wraps. Would we consider this guy as our first round draft pick?
If it was 18 yeah probably but maybe not 12

Kyle Langford sounds like a perfect fit, if we could get an early second round pick, upgrade. Playing in the forward line with Apeness, Pav, only thing holding him back is
his weight 73kg 190cm, otherwise would be more talked about., but Fyfe was a similar build. Can
play forward, back, wing, and is an excellant mark.
Not afraid to tackle, and can get seperation from his opponent, long arms, sticky fingers.

Kyle Langford sounds like a perfect fit, if we could get an early second round pick, upgrade. Playing in the forward line with Apeness, Pav, only thing holding him back is
his weight 73kg 190cm, otherwise would be more talked about., but Fyfe was a similar build. Can
play forward, back, wing, and is an excellant mark.
Not afraid to tackle, and can get seperation from his opponent, long arms, sticky fingers.
Heavier than Kayne Turner - caused 2 concussions through bumps in his first 2 games. If he has a bit of mongrel in him, we can always build him up!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has any one watched Connor Blakeney(186cm-81kg) play?
Reading a few of the PDS have Connor just outside our selection.
Written up as a inside mid,hard-nut likened to Luke Parker.
Ready to go straight away!

Perhaps more like Michael Walters.

Or Dayle Garlett. Or Jack Darling. Or Daniel Rich (to a small degree). The problem with sliders is that there is often a reason for the slide, although I do agree that familiarity can breed contempt, and there are plenty of examples of underrated players doing well.

Or Dayle Garlett. Or Jack Darling. Or Daniel Rich (to a small degree). The problem with sliders is that there is often a reason for the slide, although I do agree that familiarity can breed contempt, and there are plenty of examples of underrated players doing well.

Yeah it's hit and miss. I just get frustrated when it looks like a player I've been dreaming of getting for the past 18 months or so might fall to us...then we pass on them.

That and Clem Smith just sounds like a star.

Yep, I'm on team Clem too. Wouldn't be at all displeased with him and Tyler Keitel for the first two picks - although would we be a shot at Hardisty with our third? Don't mind Loersch, McGovern, Darcy Cameron, perhaps Ah Siu and that American bloke Baynham in terms of rookies.

I'm inclined to think we should stick to locals in this draft, as much as a matter principle as anything else. Freo constantly being left at the altar by interstaters is really starting to tick me off...

Yep, I'm on team Clem too. Wouldn't be at all displeased with him and Tyler Keitel for the first two picks - although would we be a shot at Hardisty with our third? Don't mind Loersch, McGovern, Darcy Cameron, perhaps Ah Siu and that American bloke Baynham in terms of rookies.

I'm inclined to think we should stick to locals in this draft, as much as a matter principle as anything else. Freo constantly being left at the altar by interstaters is really starting to tick me off...
We have had great success with getting South Aussie players but no one decent is leaving Port right now .
Adelaide on the other hand Tex Walker and Sam Jacobs should be on our wish to talk with list.

Best available, regardless of where they come from.

1. We don't have a problem keeping interstaters that we've drafted for the most part anyway.
2. Someone pointed out on trade radio that the Eagles with the exception of Gaff have taken only West Aussies in the last 4 or 5 drafts. Rather than take the best available, they've taken the best sandgroper available. It hasn't exactly worked out well. Whether or not we'd fare as badly remains to be seen, but I'd be disappointed not to have guys like Croz, Neale, Sutty, Spurr etc simply because they're not from WA.

Kangaroos Aaron Black and Jack Ziebell would be good targets for us to try and trade for this year .

Hadn't thought of Ziebell. Good player, but does he really fill a need or offer an upgrade on anyone in the current 22?
He has played most of his footy down back but was switched up forward late in the season by North with telling effect against Adelaide .
188cm and 90 kgs at the start of the season and 23 this year so there is a lot of up side .
I think he could start down back and work his way into the midfield pretty quickly or even on the HFF as the defensive forward like Sylvia was supposed to be .

Best available, regardless of where they come from.

1. We don't have a problem keeping interstaters that we've drafted for the most part anyway.
2. Someone pointed out on trade radio that the Eagles with the exception of Gaff have taken only West Aussies in the last 4 or 5 drafts. Rather than take the best available, they've taken the best sandgroper available. It hasn't exactly worked out well. Whether or not we'd fare as badly remains to be seen, but I'd be disappointed not to have guys like Croz, Neale, Sutty, Spurr etc simply because they're not from WA.

Yeah someone on the Eagles board ran though it and compared it to how everyone else drafts, it's seriously lopsided and can't be a co-incidence. It's hurting them, but they must still be paranoid from the Judd trade.

We haven't really had a go home of any consequence recently, certainly not from drafted players.

YUM. How good does he sound. Good as an inside player and class on the outside.

[Pick 16: Fremantle – Jordan De Goey
Position: Midfielder/utility
Height: 187 cm, Weight: 82 kg, DOB: 15/3/1996
Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Projected draft range: 10-20
Player comparison: Unique

The cool Jordan De Goey made a fistful of his opportunity throughout the carnival, stamping himself as a favourite among draft experts. De Goey, a tough on-baller with a polished outside game, oozes class and x-factor: on top of that, he is the type of player who his teammates draw inspiration from. You need not look any further than his moment against Western Australia. De Goey hit an opponent player at full tilt with sheer ferocity, knocking the ball to ground level, before cracking in with a second effort to win the ball back and kick a goal from outside 50 off two steps. The amount of energy in that piece of play personified exactly the type of player he is, and why clubs are salivating over him as a draft prospect later this year. De Goey has an impeccable sense of timing, a strong set of hands in close, and great ability overhead. He has a deep, penetrating kick that is dangerous around the arcs, and he runs through the middle where he can rack up a number of disposals in quick succession. He is a competitive beast who – although physical – has a sense of finesse and an array of sublime attributes that make him a unique prospect in this year’s draft.

Player Update:
De Goey suffered a foot injury in the first qualifying final in the opening quarter. Scans have cleared him of any major damage, and he will line up this week for Oakleigh in the preliminary final if he gets through a final fitness test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back