Oppo Camp 2014 General AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freo had to play Alex Silvagni on Buddy last week and almost won. I defy most coaches to do that.

It's a little hard to judge Rossy this year, I reckon. They had a heap of injuries and don't have Hawthorn's depth. They did seem capable of rattling off goals more quickly this year - rarely for whole games, but they did sometimes put a brace on quickly. I think Rossy made a mistake choosing Freo - seems to have almost the same strengths and weaknesses that the Saints had. I reckon they need to free up some cap space and poach a few guns or go into a soft rebuild.

Wasn't there rumors at the time when lyon left that he was looking at Melbourne and that was the reason why the medical / sports person left saints and went to Melbourne?

Whos a one in generation type player? Ablett jr? Roo? Judd?
Id argue that Ablett jr is the best player to ever play the game. Judd in his prime too maybe even better. But I never saw Matthews play. Saw a bit of Ablett snr but was still young.
How does Roo compare with Carey for great CHFs?
Love Roo but he's not even the best forward of his generation (Buddy by a long way) let alone near the best of all time.

Love Roo but he's not even the best forward of his generation (Buddy by a long way) let alone near the best of all time.
Disagree, they are both different forwards, Buddy a better goal-kicker but never the mark taking machine Riewoldt was and still is. I do wonder how Rooey would go with the Hawks and Swans delivering to him, I still don't think he would be the goal-kicking force that Franklin has been, but his numbers would be well up.

Not sure about that. Buddy played in a better team. Paul Roos doesnt agree either. Was asked to pick a fwd line and he said Roo would be the first fwd hed pik.. ahead of buddy. And thats at 32yo not 27 or what eva buddy is.

Disagree, they are both different forwards, Buddy a better goal-kicker but never the mark taking machine Riewoldt was and still is. I do wonder how Rooey would go with the Hawks and Swans delivering to him, I still don't think he would be the goal-kicking force that Franklin has been, but his numbers would be well up.
Roo's had a top 4/near top 4 level team delivering him the ball for a long time as well. From memory he's already passed Nick's career goal tally with plenty of good football left in him. That record speaks for itself IMO. Don't rate marks all that highly compared to goals.

Whos a one in generation type player? Ablett jr? Roo? Judd?
Id argue that Ablett jr is the best player to ever play the game. Judd in his prime too maybe even better. But I never saw Matthews play. Saw a bit of Ablett snr but was still young.
How does Roo compare with Carey for great CHFs?

Carey individually better but very poor defensively and very little in the way of second effort let alone third, once the ball got more than 10 metres away it wasn't Carey's job to try and get it.
Paraphrasing Dermie, if you just wanted to watch someone play, Ablett sen. if you wanted someone to win a game, Locket, if you wanted someone to win a flag, Dunstall.

All of them better than Carey, none of the as good as Mathews; vs Essendon 1973, 41 possessions 11 goals; 91 goals as a mid in 77in, from an on baller when possessions were worth something; no give and go ala. Ablett jnr, no screens ala Judd, no protection and the hardest man in a team that had Don Scott too. Mathews the best daylight to the rest.

Carey individually better but very poor defensively and very little in the way of second effort let alone third, once the ball got more than 10 metres away it wasn't Carey's job to try and get it.
Paraphrasing Dermie, if you just wanted to watch someone play, Ablett sen. if you wanted someone to win a game, Locket, if you wanted someone to win a flag, Dunstall.

All of them better than Carey, none of the as good as Mathews; vs Essendon 1973, 41 possessions 11 goals; 91 goals as a mid in 77in, from an on baller when possessions were worth something; no give and go ala. Ablett jnr, no screens ala Judd, no protection and the hardest man in a team that had Don Scott too. Mathews the best daylight to the rest.
Great call...was just a little too young to remember his glory days...but the stats speak for themselves.

Of the modern era (1980 onwards) - Ablett was just a freakish talent

Roo's had a top 4/near top 4 level team delivering him the ball for a long time as well. From memory he's already passed Nick's career goal tally with plenty of good football left in him. That record speaks for itself IMO. Don't rate marks all that highly compared to goals.
Score involvement %? Riewoldt has lead or been in the top 5 in that category for years, he creates scores like Ablett, Wingard, Gray, Dangerfield etc. The Hawks play and played a different style to the Saints, while the Swans are the kings of exposing match-ups, IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sando very stiff, if you aid he wouldn't be there in 2015 after the 2012 season you could've named your price.

Rumour that this might swing Danger toward leaving doing the rounds. I don't buy it at all though. Would love to see him at the saints but not a FA til next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back