BigFooty Official 2015 Big Footy Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 75 Kurt Mutimer 185cm 82kg onballer Dandenong

The only reason I picked this kid here is because he has received no Big Footy love. I rate this kid top 30 and the more vision I see the more I like.

Strengths
Mutimer is seriously fast. He clocked under 2.90 for 20m sprint at combine.
He has a powerful frame.
Mutimer is a booming kick and can carry 50 metres with either foot.
Mutimer can get the pill averaging over 20 disposals per tac game.
Multimer is average in the air for his size.
Kurt is made to be an outside afl midfielder with real speed.

Weaknesses
Mutimer does not have a strong inside game.
This will come in time where it can be average but we are drafting him for speed and kicking.
Nationals were ok but didn't get as much of the footy as I would have liked.

Rationale
Cliche time- mutimer is a top 25 talent who I think will go top 40. He is just what the bombers need at a bargain basement price. One more pick to find a bargain. I have number 36 and 39 on my board still available.

# 72 Collingwood - Josh Wagner (QLD – DEF)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB:
Recruited from: Aspley
Reminds me of: Adam Oxley
Brief bio: *to be written.

# 78 Collingwood - Tom Phillips (VIC – MID/FWD)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 07/05/1996
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Brief bio: Phillips is an overager who has come back this season and really elevated his play significantly. He has played mostly through the midfield, both outside and inside, and also has the ability to push forward or back as required. Phillips has clean and reliable skills, consistently making good decisions with ball in hand and demonstrating good vision finding good targets up the ground. His numbers have been strong throughout the season and he has a good balance between finding the outside ball and winning the contested ball. Athletically he is above average, and what most stands out athletically with Phillips is his sidestep which he uses very well in game with ball in hand to give himself more time and space. Through the season and particularly through the finals Phillips showed a real knack for getting forward and hitting the scoreboard, and averaging more than a goal a game. His tackling ability is sound. He also in his one VFL appearance this year appeared in the bests for Port Melbourne which is another tick. Phillips overall is not overwhelmingly great in any one area but has an overall exceptionally well rounded game and the production to make a case for himself.

# 79 Collingwood - Christopher Jansen (SA – MID/DEF)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 12/07/1995
Recruited from: Central Districts
Reminds me of: Blake Acres
Brief bio: Jansen has had a big year through the SANFL at League level and has really come into his own. Jansen has made the transition from playing as a back flanker to this year playing through the midfield and his production has been outstanding. He has demonstrated a sound balance of winning the contested ball and finding the outside ball. With ball in hand he displays some class and uses the ball well by hand and foot. Jansen is an only average athlete from a speed and agility standpoint, but has good leaping ability and reasonable endurance. Impressive also with Jansen has been his yearly improvement, suggesting further improvement to come as well as his reported strong work ethic and leadership qualities demonstrated.

Pick 75 Kurt Mutimer 185cm 82kg onballer Dandenong

The only reason I picked this kid here is because he has received no Big Footy love. I rate this kid top 30 and the more vision I see the more I like.

Strengths
Mutimer is seriously fast. He clocked under 2.90 for 20m sprint at combine.
He has a powerful frame.
Mutimer is a booming kick and can carry 50 metres with either foot.
Mutimer can get the pill averaging over 20 disposals per tac game.
Multimer is average in the air for his size.
Kurt is made to be an outside afl midfielder with real speed.

Weaknesses
Mutimer does not have a strong inside game.
This will come in time where it can be average but we are drafting him for speed and kicking.
Nationals were ok but didn't get as much of the footy as I would have liked.

Rationale
Cliche time- mutimer is a top 25 talent who I think will go top 40. He is just what the bombers need at a bargain basement price. One more pick to find a bargain. I have number 36 and 39 on my board still available.
He's had some love from me. He played half-back at the Champs, which is why he didn't get as much of the ball. Averaged 22 possessions (11 contested) and 5 tackles a game in the TAC Cup. I like him.

He's had some love from me. He played half-back at the Champs, which is why he didn't get as much of the ball. Averaged 22 possessions (11 contested) and 5 tackles a game in the TAC Cup. I like him.
Smart observation.
Country were strong and he played his role.
Speed and can kick.

Not that it matters too much this late in the game, but Adelaide's Pick 65 will be used to upgrade Jake Kelly. The draft order in this phantom has us upgrading Kelly with the pick after this, but we only have room for 2 live selections plus one upgrade this year so I can assure you there is no live pick for Adelaide at 65. This may explain why Skippos was nowhere to be seen for that selection. Nyuon therefore possibly should be thrown back into the draft pool if anyone else wants him. It may be too late for this. Not sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 87 Fremantle - Liam Hulett

194cm forward from Dandenong Stingrays, missed essentially the whole season with injury and has only played 4 TAC Cup games in two years. Showed enough signs to get a State Screening invite though, and I think someone will take the chance on him. Strong mark and presents well out of the goal square.

42. Tom Cole

Very good value here, gets the Hawks another next gen on baller after trading out Anderson. I like Cole, reckon he's flown under the radar a bit. Bit of a ball magnet, consistently finds it 25 times a game at TAC level (and high teens at VFL level) and importantly, is one of the more dual sided mids in the pool, even if his kicking is more reliable than cannon-like like. I like his inside/outside blend as well, can win it or spread to the outside almost equally well. Remind me a bit of what Jake Melksham can do on a good day. Which is tackle and bash on the inside, provide a bit of run and carry on the outside and break sides open with his dash and long kicking.

71. Daniel Capiron

Tall, running kicker with solid senior form to replace Suckling. This year Capiron has played for Dandy, VC and Frankston and performed pretty well for all 3 in a similar sort of designated kicker type role. He's got good height for a small, runs well, is pretty good above his head and has a good deep kick on him. Not a noted contested ball guy in the midfield (perhaps by design?) but he's good at what he does, which is receive, run and deliver. If he can improve his shut down a game or his intercepting to bed down a spot as a small defender I think his height and reach as a small defender coupled with his rebounding could be really handy. Beat out Weitering, Collins and co to with the Stingrays bnf as well.

Pick 93 Clint Hinchliffe 179cm 82 kg mid Western Australia

I am happy to pick Hinchliffe here. Though he is a 19 year old he is born late October and has focused primarily on cricket. I think Clint is a natural sportsman who has a lot of upside.

Strengths
Hinchliffe accumulates a lot of the footy with a nice balance between contested and uncontested footy.
Hinchliffe has above average speed.
Hinchliffe has a booming left foot kick with power and penetration.
Clint has a real attacking edge to his game and I could see him becoming a goal kicking midfielder which are highly coveted.
I believe there is a heap of development in hinchliffe. He has been only half focused on his footy to this point. A full preseason focused on footy will make a big difference, especially for a gifted sportsman who just gets it.

Weaknesses
Clint will need to work on his endurance running. It is not disastrous but it has to improve. He is a power athlete but he hasn't required the endurance base while playing cricket.
Clint is a bull at a gate while playing footy. I think he needs to be more even tempered and think of defensive actions rather than offensive actions.
Hinchliffe has a tendency to kick the ball long rather than lower his eyes. I think this will improve with more footy.

Rationale
This late in the draft you spin the dice.
Clint is a natural sportsman who has only this year devoted himself to footy.
I think he could develop into a very solid high possession AFL footballer.
If he builds an afl tank he could get Matt Priddis numbers which is certainly an attractive proposition
I wanted to go for midfield types at this late stage with an emphasis on speed and penetrating kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back