2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it's Jason McCartney, done an unbelievable job.

Job appeal for list managers can be fixing trainwrecks who look set to get good draft picks for years to come. His work at the dogs could be viewed as complete. The lions would be a great project for a quality list manager to sink his teeth into. I don't have faith in our current mob

At this point, would there be anything to loose by drafting Nick Salter from Ainsley and Darren Ewing from NT Thunder....

We should get Hawthorns recruiting guy, he has put together an amazing list. Not sure he was responsible for the early top picks Hodge Lewis etc tho

Nice to see that the favourite for number 1 draft pick already has a Lions connection and knows the boys. Might smooth the way into the club if circumstances should fall that way.

Nice to see that the favourite for number 1 draft pick already has a Lions connection and knows the boys. Might smooth the way into the club if circumstances should fall that way.

You mean the guy that just signed Pickering as his manager?

Seems like we are going to take Jacob Weitering as our number 1 pick.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-06/the-chosen-one

"The start of it, he thinks, might actually have been the most encouraging, when he spent a week at the Brisbane Lions in January as part of the AFL Academy program. He flew up on a Sunday by himself, stayed with Lions pair Sam Mayes and Marco Paparone, and at 7am the next morning was running a two-kilometre time trial in 30-degree heat. He was so tired he barely used his mobile phone all week, but Weitering's stint at the Lions left him confident about what lies ahead.

"I did everything there – all the drills, all the weights and I was treated as another player. I absolutely loved it. The only thing I didn't do was have a massage. There were 10 tables in the rotations and I was the 11th in our group, so I thought I better let the AFL boys take them," Weitering said.
"On the way up to Brisbane I was a little nervous and unsure about what was going to happen, because obviously it's a massive step going into an elite environment and it's the pinnacle of the sport. But the main thing for me was I found I can do it."

Can he play forward though?

Obviously if you have the No.1 Pick then you take the best player available but I wonder if he'll have the talent to become a KPF.

Though of course, we're not certain to get the No.1 Pick, long season to go and we usually finish the year in a flurry.

Can he play forward though?

Obviously if you have the No.1 Pick then you take the best player available but I wonder if he'll have the talent to become a KPF.

Though of course, we're not certain to get the No.1 Pick, long season to go and we usually finish the year in a flurry.
That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Not with a No.1 pick anyway. I don't see the logic in drafting a KPD and then experimenting with him instead of just going with the position where he was the best in his draft class. We need a KPD just as badly as a KDF anyway. Unless we get Rance that is.... :eek:

That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Not with a No.1 pick anyway. I don't see the logic in drafting a KPD and then experimenting with him instead of just going with the position where he was the best in his draft class. We need a KPD just as badly as a KDF anyway. Unless we get Rance that is.... :eek:
If we get a solid KPF to fill the void, we can afford to send McStay back to defence where he was drafted from.

Clarke is improving and Gardiner is still growing as well. Add in a chance to get Rance and I think if this kid is the best player in the draft, why not see if he can play KPF, if not - you've got another key back!

I think the one thing that w have seen so far this year that we are lacking in KPP's be it KPF and KPD. To add to that the current crop of young KPP's we have none were taken in the top ten or were elite players for their age crop in the nation. Be it that Weitering is a KPD if he is being touted as a First round pick you would have to asse that the boy can play and from the small reports he plays like Ben Reid. Understandably we also need a KPF but if we draft him (I would even if we got Rance) then we play him in his natural position and really shore up our backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His legs are huge as well which is something we lack in our talls

I thought he did look a pretty good size also. Apparently he can boot it 60+ and take contested marks so hes ticking allot of boxes :thumbsu: If we're not able to get Rance in FA id be happy enough for us to use our first pick on him if hes available. Its nice that hes also spent some time with the lads as well.

Weitering can play into the midfield and has played up forward as well and looked the goods apparently. From the footage I have seen he looks like a very good player. His legs are huge as well which is something we lack in our talls. Leppa would love working with him.
There's two big assumptions just there.

Weitering signed with Pickering though...

From that article he already spent some time with us.

Ambitious, studious and mature enough to make some recruiters think he could be interviewing them, Weitering doesn't see the national carnival as the defining period of his draft year but just part of it.

The start of it, he thinks, might actually have been the most encouraging, when he spent a week at the Brisbane Lions in January as part of the AFL Academy program.

He flew up on a Sunday by himself, stayed with Lions pair Sam Mayes and Marco Paparone, and at 7am the next morning was running a two-kilometre time trial in 30-degree heat.

He was so tired he barely used his mobile phone all week, but Weitering's stint at the Lions left him confident about what lies ahead.

"I did everything there – all the drills, all the weights and I was treated as another player. I absolutely loved it. The only thing I didn't do was have a massage. There were 10 tables in the rotations and I was the 11th in our group, so I thought I better let the AFL boys take them," Weitering said.

"On the way up to Brisbane I was a little nervous and unsure about what was going to happen, because obviously it's a massive step going into an elite environment and it's the pinnacle of the sport. But the main thing for me was I found I can do it."

If he's good enough I wouldn't have a problem using pick 1 on a KPD although in our situation we would really have to have tied up a KPF in a trade. We need KP players at both ends but forward line situation currently more urgent IMO.

People do realise that all of the AFL Academy players get billeted out to a team for a week to train in an AFL environment the pre season before their draft year yeah? Its fairly random in who goes where. The fact that he was sent to us doesn't imply that we're likely to draft him fyi.

People do realise that all of the AFL Academy players get billeted out to a team for a week to train in an AFL environment the pre season before their draft year yeah? Its fairly random in who goes where. The fact that he was sent to us doesn't imply that we're likely to draft him fyi.

Yeah, I think most people are just saying that if he does end up at with us at Brisbane, at least he'll already know some of the boys.

There are a lot of assumptions being made here.
-Weitering will be the no.1 pick
-We will have the no.1 pick

******* deja vu.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back