2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair you've plucked some pretty high draft picks out there, bit hard to say we don't have player(s) of that calibre on our list.

Bontempelli =Pick 4.
Stringer =Pick 5
Hogan = Pick 2
Cameron = Pick 1
Whitfield = Pick 1.
O'Meara = Pick 1
What do you mean to be fair? I wasn't having a go at the club for not having young players of that calibre on our list. I was merely stating that it would be handy if we drafted one this year. It was a bit of a nothing post with a bit of hoping/dreaming thrown in. It really wasn't designed to generate much difference in opinion or debate.

We don't have a proud Jonathan Brown putting his body on the line and dragging us to that customary 5-6 wins anymore. This is likely to be the season where we completely bottom out - players not gelling with each other, new players still getting used to Leppa's game plan, long term injuries to our core players who we just can't afford to miss any games. Perfect storm.
You are entitled to your opinion. We will see who's view is correct come the end of the year. At this stage, I am willing to back my current viewpoint in.

What do you mean to be fair? I wasn't having a go at the club for not having young players of that calibre on our list. I was merely stating that it would be handy if we drafted one this year. It was a bit of a nothing post with a bit of hoping/dreaming thrown in. It really wasn't designed to generate much difference in opinion or debate.
Well then I have to disagree or perhaps agree. And I am quite opinionated and un-opinionated on the subject.

IF we finish last, get a PP and Berger leaves on good coin we could have the first 3 picks of the draft. I'm not one for tanking but it is beneficial for us to bottom out this season. Aish will likely get a top 10 pick as well and Keays will cost us a second rounder. We pick the top 2 mids and the best KPF and KPD. Set for the next 10 years.

IF we finish last, get a PP and Berger leaves on good coin we could have the first 3 picks of the draft. I'm not one for tanking but it is beneficial for us to bottom out this season. Aish will likely get a top 10 pick as well and Keays will cost us a second rounder. We pick the top 2 mids and the best KPF and KPD. Set for the next 10 years.
I hate this idea of tanking but Im starting to think this might be our best course of action. Not happy with my self but its the way I'm feeling

Picks are just no good for us. We need to start winning games.

Picks are one thing, we need to actually be able to develop players though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spine, spine, spine. We have to build our spine. Clarke is the only building piece in that. Gardiner is third KPD. We need another KPD, FF and a CHF. After our spine it's our back six, you need a strong back half. McStay and the two before mentioned will go along way to building this and I'm hoping Cutler can add to this
So that's four. We are in for a hell of a lot of pain and if anyone thinks that one or two trades will fix it are crazy.

B: Gardiner, , McGrath
HB: Cutler, Clarke, McStay
C: Robbo
HF: Mayes, ,
F: Taylor, , Green

I firmly believe that we have the building blocks but we are many years away for these boys to literally grow into Men. I have left some off the list above like Freeman, Close and Andrews as at the moment it's too early to say but I do think that if they don't become best 22 then they will be good depth players.

I haven't added the likes of D.Beams, 3R's, Hanley, Christensen as even though some will still be part of our team they can't be our best players in four to five years as they'll be close to 30.

I have believed for awhile now that I would actually look to trade one or two over the next two years to attain another first round pick. We are absolutely shite right now and there are going to many dark days ahead but it is the future that we have to plan for.

Part of the problem is the loss of the GH5 and others especially when you see the likes of Yeo and others stepping up and really being important cogs of their respective teams. Because of this there is quite large hole list/age wise between our 20/21 year olds and our 25/26 year olds. There are a few in there but not enough due to these losses. It is the above mentioned players that are going to be our core of our team and we have to build around that over the next few years as per St Kilda. I would be saying to them also that they're the future of our club and putting it back in to them to take us forward.

I've said it many times that we need the best KPF and KPD out of this draft and even possibly two KPF's. It is common knowledge that it takes a number of years for these types to develop, what this happening drafting the best mids over these years so that it will all come together at the same time not what we have occurring now. Good midfield but pretty much lacking everywhere else.

If the club came out and said something like this or that it was evident then I could live with this. I want to see wins on the board but I want to play finals and win finals not 7/10 games a year.

Really? no top 5 gorillas? ... I was just saying its time to start getting excited about the draft... now what do I get excited about? probably the bye...

Things might change but from the reading I've been doing in the draft pages it doesn't seem like there is a clear cut gun KPF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back