2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you know if that program will be visible to fans? Either via AFL website or on Fox Footy coverage?
I would expect a draft position "live ladder" to be available to be updated with player chosen and revised positions in real time. Add's one more little element of fan involvement.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...al-draft-bidding-targets-20151001-gjzb01.html

Recruiters will take their final look at a number of northern academy players available at this year's draft in the game between the Allies and AFL Academy.

While Jacob Hopper and Ben Keays have withdrawn from the game, likely first-round picks Matthew Kennedy, Callum Mills and Eric Hipwood will line up for the Allies.

Corey Wagner and Mabior Chol, nominated by the Lions this week as potential selections, are both expected to play.

I'm planning on punching him in the head this weekend as well, just to do my part
If it means participating in a drunken sex romp, I'll put my hand up...............for the good of the club, of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a case of a bird in the hand I guess. Take good talent when it is available, wherever it comes from, with a preference for quality home grown players as a guiding principal. Rookie local kids if we can.

I really do think that there is a lot of promotional upside in taking local draftees. We will seem like a real Queensland team, and all that goes with that, in what is still a very parochial state.

It allows Queensland supporters to develop a sense of the Lions being 'us' and that plays very well here.

The development of bitter enemies really helps the us vs them Queensland mindset too. Come on Eddie, say something disparaging and belittling about Queensland, I dare you!

I also think there is a benefit in those that get rookied but don't make the grade, in as much as they have been part of the system & get to pass that knowledge on to others, which can only look to improve the whole system.

Chol's skill level certainly has been impressive to go with his athletic ability. Have reservations about his hardness though. Perhaps that just to be expected with a guy who is built like a toothpick. If he can bulk up and get aggressive then he certainly has some talent.

Also been pleasantly impressed by Wagner. I'd have him close to BOG. Quitely gone about it. His contested ball winning has surprised me. Pretty good poise and work rate also but i did expect that.

Bummer that Keays has withdrawn.

I was a little bummed to see Keays and William not lining up. Keays probably would've been best on though so may be in our favour. In reality though recruiters know a lot about Keays already anyway so i think his draft position is probably fairly set. William on the other hand may have been able to push his name up there with a good performance.

Was also disappointed to see Mills is not playing. He's highly rated and i've never seen him play so was actually looking forward to see him. Hopper ditto.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back