2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Should get them on the 'roids. I think as long as you throw the receipt away, it's alright.

Straight after which the player would belatedly but correctly contact doctor/ASADA about it and we would have a perfect paper/process trail and the recently frustrated ASADA would have a wonderful time turning us into a Lion carcass!

It'd be just our luck that the season we bottom out is the season there isn't a gun key forward worthy of the number 1 pick.
No, you're are right but there are ways to get the best KPF's in this draft but as I've stated before some strong decisions would have to be made. If Aish leaves I hope that they don't go for a KPF from that team unless they were quality, which won't happen. Therefore ensure we get at least a first rounder. If we walked away with the best KPD (Weitering) and true KPF (Schace) and Keays I would be happy. I would be even more aggressive with our list but I would get howled down.

Last edited:
No, you're are right but there are ways to get the best KPF's in this draft but as I've stated before some strong decisions would have to be made. If Aish leaves I hope that they don't go for a KPF from that team unless they were quality, which won't happen. Therefore ensure we get at least a first rounder. If we walked away with the best KPD (Weitering) and true KPF (Schace) and Keays I would be happy. I would be even more aggressive with our list but I would get howled down.
I think we will be reasonably strong with the list this year, as in a few will be rolled over.

At this point in time the ones being looked at would be:
McGuane
Aish (I hear he is going back to his monarchic grounds)
Leuey as a trade option
West depending on Leuey
Lester
Maguire
Paine
Golby

However any one of these guys could turn it around just as Crisp did last year. I expect Golby especially but all of these guys to get a chance and certainly we are not going to roll all of them out this year.

I think we will be reasonably strong with the list this year, as in a few will be rolled over.

At this point in time the ones being looked at would be:
McGuane
Aish (I hear he is going back to his monarchic grounds)
Leuey as a trade option
West depending on Leuey
Lester
Maguire
Paine
Golby

However any one of these guys could turn it around just as Crisp did last year. I expect Golby especially but all of these guys to get a chance and certainly we are not going to roll all of them out this year.
Luey will be an unrestricted free agent won't he?

A few unrestricted that we'd benefit from (all 28 or younger):

Macaffer
Dempsey
Suckling
Tarrant
Rance
Grundy

Tarrant, potentially the most attainable and turning only 26 this week. Depending on how North go this year; could be a handy pick up for either end at 196cm and 96kg :thumbsu:

Always injured though :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We said that last year as well. Ended up not mattering as we get a few wins. But l kinda wished we hadn't done as well, got McCartin and just put the whole KPF to bed.
I suggested about six rounds from the end of the season that I would prefer we didn't win too many more games as I couldn't see the point and was shouted down. Still think I was right on that. Those last few wins did nothing for us for this season except relegate us down the draft list.

aside from the possibility that we'll have such a high pick from being bottom 4 we might get lucky and not have to use our first pick on Ben Keays he does seem to be rated top 5-10 at the moment am I right? so we might have to use a high pick on him.

would mean the best chance at a 'lock' key forward prospect is to get a top 5-10 pick in return for Aish.

I understand there aren't really many key position players rated highly this year?

Whilst I am one of Bens biggest fans, I think you'll find BigFooty tend to rate him alot higher than the experts. Twomey and Quayle hardly ever mention him when they talk academies, its all Mills and Hopper. Twomey also has left him off his top ten lists from memory. I'd suspect hed be well entrenched in the second round come draft time.

His stats at first glance though, especially in the AFL Academy games, suggests that they should rate him alot higher

A few unrestricted that we'd benefit from (all 28 or younger):

Macaffer
Dempsey
Suckling
Tarrant
Rance
Grundy

Tarrant, potentially the most attainable and turning only 26 this week. Depending on how North go this year; could be a handy pick up for either end at 196cm and 96kg :thumbsu:

Always injured though :thumbsdown:

Yeah, I would think that Tarrant would be yet another Paine/Lisle/McGuane type stop gap discard from another club - we really need to go gunho for some quality in that area, but so very very hard :(

Whilst I am one of Bens biggest fans, I think you'll find BigFooty tend to rate him alot higher than the experts. Twomey and Quayle hardly ever mention him when they talk academies, its all Mills and Hopper. Twomey also has left him off his top ten lists from memory. I'd suspect hed be well entrenched in the second round come draft time.

His stats at first glance though, especially in the AFL Academy games, suggests that they should rate him alot higher

Cal has his favourites each year and sticks with them until draft time...Keays will be a late first rounder which works out nicely for us with any potential discounts etc. :thumbsu:

I suggested about six rounds from the end of the season that I would prefer we didn't win too many more games as I couldn't see the point and was shouted down. Still think I was right on that. Those last few wins did nothing for us for this season except relegate us down the draft list.
If you still think those wins did nothing for us you have probably never played footy and therefore do not understand just how much a win can bond a group of players. "Meaningless wins late in the season" bonded players like Rich, Redden and Rockliff back in the day and is part of the reason why they love the club so much. The benefits of winning games club culture wise is immeasurable and it is far more beneficial then tanking a couple of games for one or two spots higher in the draft.

And fair enough.

:$

Cal has his favourites each year and sticks with them until draft time...Keays will be a late first rounder which works out nicely for us with any potential discounts etc. :thumbsu:

A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you explicitly, but it seems like he writes from good info from club recruiters nowadays as he is pretty much spot on for the first round at least...

A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you explicitly, but it seems like he writes from good info from club recruiters nowadays as he is pretty much spot on for the first round at least...

Club recruiters are not going to give out any info to a young journo that potentially comes back to bite them on the ass come draft night. That being said, Cal mentions Keays in a few of his recent interviews on AFL; the last one I post here somewhere last week :thumbsu:

Having 2 very good games against mature bodies recently has him firmly in first round calculations.

Brett Anderson, who I rate pretty highly when it comes to kids has him somewhere between 10 - 20 :footy:

If you still think those wins did nothing for us you have probably never played footy and therefore do not understand just how much a win can bond a group of players. "Meaningless wins late in the season" bonded players like Rich, Redden and Rockliff back in the day and is part of the reason why they love the club so much. The benefits of winning games club culture wise is immeasurable and it is far more beneficial then tanking a couple of games for one or two spots higher in the draft.
o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back