2015 Draft, Trade & Free Agent Discussion & Speculation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if we are looking at Hogan, McCarthy and Dixon in that order, given their contract status, how crazy would be their respective trade requests be? Would Dixon's be way less as he is off contract?
Do you think we would be the only bidder?

After just watching Leuenberger slot one in from the boundary, I say get him as a FA. Trade Clarke + our 1st rounder for McCarthy.
As for Harley Bennell, if GC wanted to let him go I'd give my left teste - that bloke is a game winner. I'd back our culture / coaching system to get the best out of him.

He's done better against Sandilands than any ruckman has all year.

- Luenberger as an FA
- Trade in Dixon
- Trade Clarke out

Between the two of Luenberger and Dixon they should be able to play second fiddle to Sandilands :p

- Luenberger as an FA
- Trade in Dixon
- Trade Clarke out

Between the two of Luenberger and Dixon they should be able to play second fiddle to Sandilands :p

If Zac wants out then I'm happy with that.

If he prefers to stay I'd rather him over Luey, thought Zac really played well given the conditions yesterday.

If Zac wants out then I'm happy with that.

If he prefers to stay I'd rather him over Luey, thought Zac really played well given the conditions yesterday.
Absolutely agree. If Luenburger was playing 2nd ruck, as Clarke was, I don't think he would have shown as much as Clarke did yesterday.

He's done better against Sandilands than any ruckman has all year.

It's the only decent game he's played all year, spent time in their neafl team, he is hopeless as forward / ruck . I can't see him displacing sandi, will cost a lot more than Clarke and is worse as forward/ ruc. Lets try and keep Zac.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the only decent game he's played all year, spent time in their neafl team, he is hopeless as forward / ruck . I can't see him displacing sandi, will cost a lot more than Clarke and is worse as forward/ ruc. Lets try and keep Zac.

That's the only thing I disagree with. I think Clarke has received some big offers from Victoria.

A mid twenties athletic ruck-tall who is starting to hit his prime, is improving every year. He could take the #1 ruck role if required or relief ruck if there is already an established bull ruck at #1. Can clunk a big mark, can kick a goal, covers a lot of ground and isn't a plodder when he moves.

Any club looking for a long term ruckman succession plan, any club looking for a running first ruck, any club looking for a third tall who can pinch hit.

North Melbourne. Essendon. Geelong. Hawthorn. Carlton. St Kilda to a lesser extent. Brisbane. Gold Coast.

Plus no club needs a tall marking option more than Fremantle.

He'd be on our radar to replace Sandi, not displace him. Sandi will be retired by the end of 2016 if not this year. He is already 32.

He extended his contract about a month ago?

That doesn't mean he's going to keep playing until he's 35. It just means he won't play for anybody else.

It would be amazing if he could play on, but history shows it's pretty unlikely for any ruckman to go on that long. And regardless if he does or not, we would be remiss to not have a replacement for him whenever he is injured, as it will be increasingly more likely the longer he plays.

That's why Griffin is on our list at the moment, but Griffin is not actually much younger than Sandilands.

Last edited:
That's the only thing I disagree with. I think Clarke has received some big offers from Victoria.

A mid twenties athletic ruck-tall who is starting to hit his prime, is improving every year. He could take the #1 ruck role if required or relief ruck if there is already an established bull ruck at #1. Can clunk a big mark, can kick a goal, covers a lot of ground and isn't a plodder when he moves.

Any club looking for a long term ruckman succession plan, any club looking for a running first ruck, any club looking for a third tall who can pinch hit.

North Melbourne. Essendon. Geelong. Hawthorn. Carlton. St Kilda to a lesser extent. Brisbane. Gold Coast.

Plus no club needs a tall marking option more than Fremantle.

I actually heard a rumour from a mate who thinks he is on the money but I think is full of s**t that Clarke is not the only Freo ruc that's been looked at.

That doesn't mean he's going to keep playing until he's 35. It just means he won't play for anybody else.

It would be amazing if he could play on, but history shows it's pretty unlikely for any ruckman to go on that long. And regardless if he does or not, we would be remiss to not have a replacement for him whenever he is injured, as it will be increasingly more likely the longer he plays.

That's why Griffin is on our list at the moment, but Griffin is not actually much younger than Sandilands.

I think history shows that it's is quite likely that Sandilands could play on until he is at least 35. Paul Salmon is the closest type of player I can think of, or Justin Madden.

Anyone remember Lyon's comments when asked about Griff's new contract? It was a bit odd. From memory he replied with something that insinuated there was more than one one to view the re-sign.

While I'd love Clarke to stay I'm wondering if Freo are gonna offer him up/preparing for him to leave.

I think history shows that it's is quite likely that Sandilands could play on until he is at least 35. Paul Salmon is the closest type of player I can think of, or Justin Madden.

Yeah, both played until 35. But back then a lot of players played into their late 30s. Training regimes weren't so tough and they didn't cover as many kms in games. Not many people play until 35 nowadays.

Cox retired at 32, Brad Ottens 31, Primus 30, Jolly 33. If Sandilands plays until 35 that would make him the longest-played ruckman of the last 20 years.

If Sandi isn't playing in the ruck then there's not a lot of point playing him at all. He's the best ruckman of the modern era, but a pretty average forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back