2015 Non Freo discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue is trade week is just after the season finishes. A club with no coach is so disadvantaged by this. If they want to stop coach poaching there has to be at least 6 weeks after the season for a new coach to be able to evaluate his list and trading opportunities

Colin Silvia just came into my work and asked for sugar free Smirnoff lime and soda.

XYy2FgV.gif

The issue is trade week is just after the season finishes. A club with no coach is so disadvantaged by this. If they want to stop coach poaching there has to be at least 6 weeks after the season for a new coach to be able to evaluate his list and trading opportunities
SOS will have been working on the trade week scenarios all season. Naming a coach may make some disillusioned players feel better, but I don't think Henderson is unpacking his bags, and I don't think it's going to change anything for Kruezer or Yarran.

I don't like that clubs who have written their season off are approaching assistants at other clubs whilst they're still involved in finals. Sure they can sound people out to see if they're interested but going through intensive interview processes and making appointments before they've fulfilled their duties at their current club is unfair to those clubs still competing imo
Why?

Geelong lost Sanderson before 2011 finished and walked away with the premiership.

Strikes me as one of those coaches that make a very good assistant but isn't cut out to be the head coach

McCartney at the bulldogs, neeld at Melbourne, drum, Wayne Britain, Matthew knights, Sanderson etc

I wish him all the best (kinda - it is at Carlton after all) because he seems like a really nice guy but he looks to be lacking that hard edge that successful coaches seem to have
Scott Twatters, McKenna.. Ole Malty sure has trained up some duds.

I mentioned before that there seem to be pokerpiv clones around. Similar posting style. The fact that he doesn't have me on automatic ignore probably means that it isn't him.
Ill brik u karnt.

I don't think anything could get that guy down.

He reminded me of Tom Cruise the way he bounced around in the pressers after the games. No pressure on him at all as they won every game he coached and he knew he was only the work experience kid minding the shop for the angry ant.

He will be under some serious internal pressure next year so good luck BB.......he will need to add a chainmail singlet to his wardrobe if he doesn't look like a winner by midyear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talk about tall poppy syndrome. A bloke gets to fufill one of his dreams to be be an AFL coach and you all want to bag him out before he's even started. You all sound like a bunch of jealous schoolgirls, having a few giggles behind his back.

Strikes me as one of those coaches that make a very good assistant but isn't cut out to be the head coach

And what coaching experience is this amazing insight based on?

Totally agree.

I remember listening to him speak on 360, he seems to be a good ideas man with foresight but definitely not alpha enough to turn around Carlton.

I loved seeing him get angry when he was the caretaker coach of Hawthorn. He reminded me of an angry chihuahua. You couldn’t take him seriously.

Not Alpha enough!! What bullshit. Does Ross come across as an Alpha male? That way of thinking is thankfully a thing of the past. Respect is earnt though actions. Not by puffing your chest and trying to scare people into listening to you.

Yeah I agree, just comes across as meek. You would kind of sfellow if he got angry at you..

Would any of you be "Alpha" enough to say these things to Bolton's face?

And yes "Tall" poppy, hilarious.

And what coaching experience is this amazing insight based on?

Merely an observation. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

I hope he does well as he is the closest thing to a career coach (as in someone who made a conscious decision to become a coach rather than play) I've seen and his love and excitement for the game is refreshing. My main concern is he too nice which may be a stumbling block

Clarkson
Longmire
Lyon
Scott
Malthouse
Thompson
Williams
Worsfold
Roos
Matthews
Sheedy
Daniher
Pagan
Parkin
Blight
Alves
Eade
Joyce
Northey

That's the list of AFL coaches that have taken their team to a grand final. All of them with the possible exception of daniher have a little bit of campaigner in them. Bolton from what I've seen, which admittedly isn't a lot, is nothing much like those men

Maybe he'll break the mould and it would be fantastic to see if he does but I have my reservations that he will

I hope he does well as he is the closest thing to a career coach (as in someone who made a conscious decision to become a coach rather than play) I've seen and his love and excitement for the game is refreshing. My main concern is he too nice which may be a stumbling block

Clarkson
Longmire
Lyon
Scott
Malthouse
Thompson
Williams
Worsfold
Roos
Matthews
Sheedy
Daniher
Pagan
Parkin
Blight
Alves
Eade
Joyce
Northey

That's the list of AFL coaches that have taken their team to a grand final. All of them with the possible exception of daniher have a little bit of campaigner in them. Bolton from what I've seen, which admittedly isn't a lot, is nothing much like those men

Maybe he'll break the mould and it would be fantastic to see if he does but I have my reservations that he will
How do you know he is not like that with the players?

How do you know he is not like that with the players?
I don't but he just seems so relentlessly cheerful it's hard to imagine. Maybe he is. Hawthorn obviously rate him as must the decision makers at Carlton so he must be able to command respect

If any club can kill enthusiasm though it's Carlton

Clarkson
Longmire
Lyon
Scott
Malthouse
Thompson
Williams
Worsfold
Roos
Matthews
Sheedy
Daniher
Pagan
Parkin
Blight
Alves
Eade
Joyce
Northey

Gotcha, you don't know the bloke from a bar of soap and because you somehow think he's not a campaigner to the players he won't make it.

But you hope he does well. That's nice.

I don't but he just seems so relentlessly cheerful it's hard to imagine. Maybe he is. Hawthorn obviously rate him as must the decision makers at Carlton so he must be able to command respect

If any club can kill enthusiasm though it's Carlton
My experience with people like that are that when they get serious it means they are serious and when they yell it's world war three.

Similar to when your parents don't get angry, just quiet.

Gotcha, you don't know the bloke from a bar of soap and because you somehow think he's not a campaigner to the players he won't make it.

Well Carlton have certainly gone for the polar opposite of malthouse so good luck to them and BB

Time will tell if he succeeds.

The point that I knew Malty had lost his marbles was when they asked him who their best players were that night and he had to spend about 15 seconds looking through his notes to try and work out who. Heck at the time even I could come up with a couple names off the top of my head, strange from any coach let alone the bloke in charge

Clarkson
Longmire
Lyon
Scott
Malthouse
Thompson
Williams
Worsfold
Roos
Matthews
Sheedy
Daniher
Pagan
Parkin
Blight
Alves
Eade
Joyce
Northey

Definitely an interesting appointment, at least in the sense that we might be seeing a new age Carlton footy club. I do suspect though that Bolton may have a little bit of inner campaigner to draw on when the going gets tough, which it will!

Are you Bolton's mum? If people are only allow opinions about players and coaches because they "know" them, then we might as well shut BF down. Ease up mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back