2015 pre-season thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of points I have been thinking about from that article (which is full of crap by the way).
1. The VIC media seems to have an obsession with Gaz and our finals chances. Yes he is one the best players to ever play the game, but you're only as strong as your weakest link (which Bluey learned the hard way). Our injury list last year was ridiculous (Sam Day our designated ruck against Essendon, Tom Lynch our only available KPF) and I don't think any team, besides Hawthorn maybe could have coped any better than us.
2. How long will it be until we are old enough to consistently run out games. The group of '92 are turning 23 this year and are getting towards 100 games. Surely the 'kids' tag has got to run out sooner or later.
3. Ok, this one probably belongs in the best 22 thread, but I still see Broughts as best 18 material. His only real opposition for the lock down small position is Lemmens, who is quality, but I feel he is not quite there yet (bench perhaps). Yet most don't even consider him because he was 'delisted' by the club but retained as a nominated rookie to save cap space, which no one ever talks about.

Anyway rant over. Can't wait for the season to begin. Hopefully we get off to a flyer and teach these 'writers' to never underestimate us.

A couple of points I have been thinking about from that article (which is full of crap by the way).
1. The VIC media seems to have an obsession with Gaz and our finals chances. Yes he is one the best players to ever play the game, but you're only as strong as your weakest link (which Bluey learned the hard way). Our injury list last year was ridiculous (Sam Day our designated ruck against Essendon, Tom Lynch our only available KPF) and I don't think any team, besides Hawthorn maybe could have coped any better than us.
2. How long will it be until we are old enough to consistently run out games. The group of '92 are turning 23 this year and are getting towards 100 games. Surely the 'kids' tag has got to run out sooner or later.
3. Ok, this one probably belongs in the best 22 thread, but I still see Broughts as best 18 material. His only real opposition for the lock down small position is Lemmens, who is quality, but I feel he is not quite there yet (bench perhaps). Yet most don't even consider him because he was 'delisted' by the club but retained as a nominated rookie to save cap space, which no one ever talks about.

Anyway rant over. Can't wait for the season to begin. Hopefully we get off to a flyer and teach these 'writers' to never underestimate us.

1. I agree with you on that one. Even with our injuries and issues against Essendon, we were still SO close to winning. The Vic media ignore the fact that we still lost to Adelaide and West Coast even when we had Gaz with us, so it was still an issue - it's not as if we were indestructible until Gaz went down.

2. I think the fact that a group of 30 of our boys ALL running a PB the other day speaks for itself. Whatever was happening with our fitness was a HUGE issue, and whether it was Bluey's fault or not doesn't really matter now - the boys right now are fitter than ever, so hopefully it won't be an issue come round 1.

3. I'm still undecided about who's the better option between Broughton and Lemmens. Both are fantastic players, but I agree that Lemmens is probably a tiny bit behind (but is still bench material). But I think it's pretty evident that Rocket's coaching and fitness techniques are completely different from Bluey's, which seems to be bringing out the best in our players. I trust that Rocket will pick the better option.

Hi folks,
Is Cameron likely to get early games this year?
Certainly seems well priced in Supercoach.
Cheers.
Based off last year, I'd say no. But with a new coach, anything is possible! If I were you, I'd probably stay away and go for someone like Jack Martin (if you haven't already)!

Based off last year, I'd say no. But with a new coach, anything is possible! If I were you, I'd probably stay away and go for someone like Jack Martin (if you haven't already)!
Yeah I have got Jack but I was looking at Cameron as a defender.
Anyway did some juggling and now have Kolodjashnij, so should be safe there.
Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So is it fair to say missing out on the 8 is unacceptable? Looks a pretty even competition and seems plausible at least. Rory and Maysie being out doesn't instill alot of confidence at all. Although I cant wait to see bennel and martin fire this year!!

So who are the players who've really impressed this pre-season?

So far names That have been specifically mentioned are -

Smith
Martin
Sexton
Malceski
Lynch
Nicholls
Swallow
Cameron
Miller
Kolodjashnij
Glenn

We need at least a couple out of our lesser lights to stand up and announce themselves this year. Sexton would be good. Smooth runner and a good size for a mid.

So is it fair to say missing out on the 8 is unacceptable? Looks a pretty even competition and seems plausible at least. Rory and Maysie being out doesn't instill alot of confidence at all. Although I cant wait to see bennel and martin fire this year!!

It is but it won't be easy this year. We've got a harder draw for one. Adelaide and WC are two who've had the wood on us and will be competing for our spot in the eight as well as last years final 8.

So far names That have been specifically mentioned are -

Smith
Martin
Sexton
Malceski
Lynch
Nicholls
Swallow
Cameron
Miller
Kolodjashnij
Glenn

We need at least a couple out of our lesser lights to stand up and announce themselves this year. Sexton would be good. Smooth runner and a good size for a mid.

Malceski stated in his interview last week the player who has most surprised him at how good they are on the whole list is Sexton.. His fitness and skills.. Etc..
Hasnt done a whole lot in his AFL games..
Might be ready to come good in 2015

From what I've seen (pics,vids) Shaw is looking better than ever. Not sure if you consider him a lesser light but imo he has already shown talent, if somewhat erratic as should b expected from any young player, so any improvement is a big plus.

From what I've seen (pics,vids) Shaw is looking better than ever. Not sure if you consider him a lesser light but imo he has already shown talent, if somewhat erratic as should b expected from any young player, so any improvement is a big plus.
This excites the * out of me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back