News 2015 preseason training news and updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Give you 1 but not 2. Unless we find another equal replacement in the mid group he must play there.

But Bews and perhaps another option or two should play trained up to be an option there. Bews and Guthrie are 186ish so certainly not short but if we are looking for short defensive options Bates was originally drafted for the role. I wonder if Cowan would be an option , right age and I suspect right mental aptitude. We have a lot of young mids now and I'm sure someone is not all offence. Gore perhaps?

But my guess is Kelly will still see some time there until he confirms he has or has not still got pace.
Granted, but IMO I still see Guthrie as a better lock down defender and Bews as a running defender. I've seen a lot of Bews through juniors and I think he can be a weapon next year playing that role...it's something we lack.

Guthrie can work as an equally adept midfielder, but I thought we were exposed down back last year being one dimensional and having nobody to shut down the oppositions best small forward.

It's a situation we we're robbing Peter to pay Paul, unless Horlin-Smith can grow and cement his spot in the midfield.

Article on the thoughts of Menzel and Vardy from Chris Scott.

"We're not thinking, let's try to squeeze 30 games out of these two boys and then cast them aside. We're still optimistic they can have five-, eight- or nine-year careers with us."

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-12-23/cats-optimistic-about-menzel-and-vardy

Nine years? , Thats not optimistic thats almost delusional. Id be very happy if we could get 100 games out of both of them now , and that would be a bonus . Plus that.... is a huge bonus

Surprising because I've heard reports he's surprising on the track. Maybe that's Scott's way of telling Blease not to rest on his laurels and continue to work harder.

It is not surprising to me.
After all, he was delisted from probably the worst performed club in the AFL in the last 10 years.
That is hardly a ringing endorsement of his playing ability.

Nine years? , Thats not optimistic thats almost delusional. Id be very happy if we could get 100 games out of both of them now , and that would be a bonus . Plus that.... is a huge bonus
They're both still only 23, so anything's possible...ok, ok, now I'm being delusional.

9 years is highly unlikely is my view considering their history. I'm just hoping they can both get back on the park and we can take it from there.

The J-Pod was playing like a 25yr old at 30, as he had not been put through the rigors of AFL footy for years beforehand.
Given Vards and Menzel have both missed upwards of two-three years away from the game, their bodies will certainly be feeling rather fresh. If they do remain injury free, there is no reason why they cannot play until they hit 32 years of age.

sounds to me like Scott has found himself a favourite pet player in Sam Blease. You would worry if he is praising you as that has led to 'said' player getting dropped or de-listed. So when he's saying your not in the best 22, lock him in for R1 and the rest of the year :p

The way I read it , he is making sure Blease is well aware that there is no walk in and he must continue to work , my guess is he can see a lot of untapped talent and perhaps if he really pushes he cold get a better players. The best 22 thing.... it was only recently he was talking 40 players and talk of best 22 at this time of year has to be rhetoric , the best 22 will select itself post the early games. Id imagine Blease takes of and runs , goals etc , he will be best 22 fairly quickly.

The J-Pod was playing like a 25yr old at 30, as he had not been put through the rigors of AFL footy for years beforehand.
Given Vards and Menzel have both missed upwards of two-three years away from the game, their bodies will certainly be feeling rather fresh. If they do remain injury free, there is no reason why they cannot play until they hit 32 years of age.

I think the other way is also possible. Those players with reco knees , do they last longer after a reco? My guess would be no.

As you watched , was he kicking at full pace?

Yep. Left his match up for dead in defence and ran 50m. Then scummed it into the middle to no one. The way we play that would be a goal to the opposition.

But the other side of his game would be running that bypasses the whole midfield and a kick to isolated Hawkins or Clark. He's potentially a huge asset. He needs coaching but that's what we do well.

The negative I have heard on Blease is tank. From running out of steam his disposal falls away. Can play in very short bursts but cant run both ways, and as a sub cant run hard enough for long enough.

Melbourne were a horrible outfit but their program fitness wise cant have been so bad he didnt learn endurance. I am not optimistic, see him as depth if required and likely gone in a year or two.

Searched but failed to find his draft beep test numbers. Repeat sprint was fine I think but beep test should have shown this weakness, if true.

The negative I have heard on Blease is tank. From running out of steam his disposal falls away. Can play in very short bursts but cant run both ways, and as a sub cant run hard enough for long enough.

Melbourne were a horrible outfit but their program fitness wise cant have been so bad he didnt learn endurance. I am not optimistic, see him as depth if required and likely gone in a year or two.

Searched but failed to find his draft beep test numbers. Repeat sprint was fine I think but beep test should have shown this weakness, if true.

Maybe he could become a super sub in his first year ? Builds his tank over another 2 seasons not one.

It would be great for us if he became like White at Port that came from the Tigers. Blossomed. Adds something to the team without being a champion.

I have not considered him much re our best team as I just do not know the guy or what he can do. But at his cost he could be a bargain - and not much lost if he does not make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he could become a super sub in his first year ? Builds his tank over another 2 seasons not one.

It would be great for us if he became like White at Port that came from the Tigers. Blossomed. Adds something to the team without being a champion.

I have not considered him much re our best team as I just do not know the guy or what he can do. But at his cost he could be a bargain - and not much lost if he does not make it.
That is exactly what I asked my Melbourne buddy. He said that was the shame of it, he blew up so quickly he wasnt worth using as a sub. He ceded that it may have been he struggled to being at such a poor club. Maybe one of the players Roos identified as damaged.

Definitely not a lot of risk and some 30+ disposal games at VFL suggest there is more than pure speed.

Josh Hunt and David Wojcinski had ACL's and still played till they were 32 years of age.

1,2 off prove's little either way. Rooke had issues and retired early. Spriggs was never the same. So far Im not confident we will see menzel at 30.What I was asking if there is info on what it does for a careers length. Whats the average game tally played post Knee reco?

Last edited:

Maybe the training standards at Melbourne weren't actually that good.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-27/cale-morton

As NSFB said there have been numerous reports about how s**t the Dees program was. It's not a matter of learning endurance either ;)

It think Blease can be useful for us, much like Shagga was, perhaps even more effective as a goal kicker given the highlights I've seen from Blease. Granted they are highlights and don't show the lowlights - poor endurance and lack of defensive game.

He was #17 overall so someone had to see something in him. I wonder about his disposal if it is feeling rushed in the ilk of Mots early on or if it is all endurance and skills.

My guess is its a combination of all 3. If he can take that 1/2 sec to steady ( he needs the confidence to believe he can do it) and I recall reading that he was working away from the club on his endurance and running, then perhaps improvement in those areas will be enough to make the 15% difference to his game.

By no means do I expect much but he was kinda like a free hit by the club ( like Rookies really) and if he can get it together the sum of his parts could add well for us.

GO Catters

Did anyone attend the AGM last Monday?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cats-protect-home-base-20141223-12cwhn.html

Some takeaways from the above article;

• Despite posting a loss in 2014 the club will still pay $300,000 to the equalisation fund.
  • There are plans to build an indoor facility and another oval due to expectations that the stadium will be used for other events as well as football (assume this is part of the agreement to secure the State Government funding).
  • 30,000 members prior to Christmas, apparently for the first time.
  • Football department spending to increase in 2015 by around $700,000

Maybe the training standards at Melbourne weren't actually that good.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-27/cale-morton

Sounds like their mantra has been laziness and complacency.

They weren't ready, willing or able when Neeld tried showing them what was needed to lift themselves from rank amateurs to professionals.

Rather than putting the hard yards in, they carried on like spoilt brats.

Did anyone attend the AGM last Monday?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cats-protect-home-base-20141223-12cwhn.html

Some takeaways from the above article;

• Despite posting a loss in 2014 the club will still pay $300,000 to the equalisation fund.
  • There are plans to build an indoor facility and another oval due to expectations that the stadium will be used for other events as well as football (assume this is part of the agreement to secure the State Government funding).
  • 30,000 members prior to Christmas, apparently for the first time.
  • Football department spending to increase in 2015 by around $700,000

When I read the article that mentioned both our "loss" and the equalisation fund... my brain started to go "arha".... would it be beyond Cooky to calculate the books in a method that meets his end goals? Im sure they are all ridgeydige but Ive always said the Cookster is a master of spin , not much would surprise me.

The indoor facility and oval..where? Is that the StMarys move proposal?

Still wants 8 home games while it getting done , those home games must be key in the profit loss id say.

Last edited:
Sounds like their mantra has been laziness and complacency.

They weren't ready, willing or able when Neeld tried showing them what was needed to lift themselves from rank amateurs to professionals.

Rather than putting the hard yards in, they carried on like spoilt brats.

Id say there was doubts on what was happening at the club , who was at fault...clubs , players, culture , facilities... but that type of comment is like a "its not my fault , Melb really didn't train me properly" , and "my new club is just so much better". Jees I can remember Kent Kingsley saying some rubbish like that when he went to Richmond.

No doubt Geelongs ability to have a true home base , drawn on quality input from coaches , premiership players .... means there is no excuse for Blease.
And the coach is sort of saying that to him ...
Work hard there will be no 3rd chance.... Work hard , we have need for a player like you but you are far from our best atm....... Work Hard..did you see what happened to Sylvia over in Freo last year?

Last edited:
Id say there was doubts on what was happening at the club , who was at fault...clubs , players, culture , facilities... but that type of comment is like a "its not my fault , Melb really didn't train me properly" , and "my new club is just so much better". Jees I can remember Kent Kingsley saying some rubbish like that when he went to Richmond.

No doubt Geelongs ability to have a true home base , drawn on quality input from coaches , premiership players .... means there is no excuse for Blease. And the coach is sort of saying that to him , work hard there will be no 3rd chance. Work hard , he have need for a player like you but you are far from our best atm....... Work Hard..did you see what happened to Sylvia over in Freo last year?

He's laid the challenge down to Blease, no doubt about that.

By all accounts he has a real turn of speed, so here's hoping he has the dedication and skills to force his way into the 22. Imagine he, Motlop, and Murdoch streaming forward a la Wojincski......they could cut opposing sides to ribbons if they all get their game going.

Given their medocrity, you can't help but read the comments re: Melbourne and believe there's some truth to what the former players are saying. And the petulant resistance Neeld encountered is just bewildering. He was exactly what they needed, but they wouldn't play ball.

He's laid the challenge down to Blease, no doubt about that.

By all accounts he has a real turn of speed, so here's hoping he has the dedication and skills to force his way into the 22. Imagine he, Motlop, and Murdoch streaming forward a la Wojincski......they could cut opposing sides to ribbons if they all get their game going.

Given their medocrity, you can't help but read the comments re: Melbourne and believe there's some truth to what the former players are saying. And the petulant resistance Neeld encountered is just bewildering. He was exactly what they needed, but they wouldn't play ball.
On speed .. Motlop & Murda , then Motlop but we have a couple more that have some twang on the green stuff. Namely our new #5... actually all 4 kids taken this year have wheels. Slowly building a slick group.
On Melb..... Im not a great advocate of Neeld's approach but as we have seen even with Macca , a group has to be ready to listen and they have to like the message. They built a group to try to play like us then brought in a Malthouse acolyte.They would have been so much better with Hinkley.

On speed .. Motlop & Murda , then Motlop but we have a couple more that have some twang on the green stuff. Namely our new #5... actually all 4 kids taken this year have wheels. Slowly building a slick group.
On Melb..... Im not a great advocate of Neeld's approach but as we have seen even with Macca , a group has to be ready to listen and they have to like the message. They built a group to try to play like us then brought in a Malthouse acolyte.They would have been so much better with Hinkley.

Yep, we've got some slick kids coming through, but I'm not sure how much of them we'll see in 2015.

Cockatoo might get a game, but you'd assume Blease has a head start on them given he's been in the AFL system a while and gotten games. His attitude will be the make or break of him though.

Neeld was blunt and hard, and gave them a real 'wake up' call, but for mine that's just what Melbourne needed at the time, but they weren't willing to listen or acknowledge the error of their ways.

Hinkley would've been more tactful with the message, but it remains to be seen whether the playing group is yet ready to admit they've been lazy and tackle the the problem head-on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back