News 2015 preseason training news and updates

Remove this Banner Ad

We just need.... a goal differential two goals to the better. If we can add that we a lot better , add 280 points to our "for" column and it make a huge differnce

That is where I think GFC can make ground this year - the forward line. We have been structurally poorly set up with no true CHF and that has hurt us. Plus no Chappy as that goal kicking small forward.

So we need tow new players to come in and do a job.

If we get Clark or Stanley or Walker or Vardy (I don't care which) to play a good role as CHF then our forward line will be so much better. Then add a good crumbing forward with leg speed and we have the whole deal I reckon. For that role we can select from Lang, Murdoch (though not small), McCarthy (injured presently) and Hartman (at this time - others may yet rise from the VFL team over the season).

This is based on a lot of IF's. That we do get one decent CHF out of those 4 players and we find a decent FP. And we find a decent FP (as we have quite a choice - surely one will be good enough ?).

But one maybe two changes down back with Bews (and/or maybe Thurlow) will see us having a similar backline IMO. Most down back are still good but aging rapidly. So we slowly transition the backline - 1 or 2 players over the next 3 or so years. The backline is good as it is and it will take Bews and Thurlow (if both play) time to get their feet and be as good as whoever they replace. So the best we can hope for is to make a change in a player or two and hope it still works as well. This is going to be the case for the next 3 years so get used to it. Our backline will not hits next peak for another 3-4 years (unless we snag a really good KPB or running back as a FA - but I think they will go for FA mid myself).

The midfield is the biggest issue but that too will take time to fix. I expect good progress from GHS, Guthrie and Caddy - and that will help cover the loss of Bundy. Then I think our ruck combo will perform better this year - maybe not great but more competitive. As SJ is retiring our younger mids will be hitting their straps. Shame really. That is why a gun mid, a player that can change a game, gets added next season thru FA - then we can send SJ off the right way.

In short - we can slowly rebuild the backline and midfield this year and next but this year we are more likely to see the most improvement in the forward line (with just an ounce of luck). An extra 2 goals per game would be huge - and I think that is the best hope for us this year. The backline stands firm, the mids get somewhat more competitive and the forward line is a fair bit better.

Imagine how his wife must have felt when she saw them! :eek: :D
I never bothered with the photos when the wife came on the scene. You're bang on about the candles, though. When the wife asked me about them, I just told her that I'm a romantic at heart. She still hasn't put two and two together and realised the symbolism of candles and still thinking about an old :fire:.

JD,...the mids will be better this year I have no doubt and the forward line more dangerous. We are a better team on paper I believe than last year.

Losing Bundy took some of our midfield strength away - but they should be compensated by more consistent seasons by Caddy, GHS and Guthrie. Then we have the ever reliable Selwood and SJ as the main mids. Yes I could see them being better than last season especially if we have a better ruck duo. But Port's midfield to name one - will get probably better too.

So for us to progress we need the backline to remain its usual good self - and I think that means maybe only one new face - probably Bews in the BP. Then the midfield to get somewhat better but the forward line to bring us closer to being competitive in Sept.

So much depends on injuries, a few young players coming thru and the 3 new guys who we got in trades.

But between the trades and those coming back from injury we should get at least 2 players maybe 3. And these players are likely to bolster the forward line and hopefully the ruck. Yes, if that happens then yes on paper we look stronger - but we just haven't seen these guys perform either not for a while or not all. So we are in danger of wanting it to happen so bad that it clouds our judgement a bit.

I just need a bit of evidence - a few good VFL and AFL games would be nice. Right now its a fair bit of guess work. Lots of potential options but how many work out is a bit of a quandary.

How is Kersten travelling now after his knee surgery? Is he still on a modified program? I haven't seen his name mentioned on this thread for nearly two weeks, and i am feeling nervous!

How is Kersten travelling now after his knee surgery? Is he still on a modified program? I haven't seen his name mentioned on this thread for nearly two weeks, and i am feeling nervous!

Haven't heard a lot of specifics either. Looked like he was running heaps with no issues a few weeks back. Don't think he did most of the main group drills but a lot of the posters on here said he was looking really fit and trim.

Haven't heard a lot of specifics either. Looked like he was running heaps with no issues a few weeks back. Don't think he did most of the main group drills but a lot of the posters on here said he was looking really fit and trim.

seems to have dropped weight , which is good , he may be mobile and who knows where that takes him. I have no doubt , he is in our best 6 forwards on talent.

seems to have dropped weight , which is good , he may be mobile and who knows where that takes him. I have no doubt , he is in our best 6 forwards on talent.

I would have expressed that in terms like "most definitely has lost a clearly visible amount of weight"

Whats the rub...weight of fat V muscle? He looks more toned and lighter but actually gross weight...only a guess
Whatever the technicalities, he is thinner in the face and he does not have that really big Fevola-esque arse that he used to have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone have any news on how Motlop is faring? I haven't seen any pictures of him in the pre-season training, nor mention of him by those who attended open training sessions.

I was hoping that after his injury-plagued last year, he'd have a big pre-season this year and be really hitting top form. So I'm slightly concerned at his low profile, as I worry that this means his knee is still not right, and having to be "managed".

HeraldSun has our pass mark as 6th or higher. Understandable. If things go our way we could be in Top2-4 again. If not, we could miss the 8.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-clubs-pass-mark/story-fni5f3kt-1227197333734

Ben Waterworth’s analysis:
THE Cats are on the decline, yet they continue to play above themselves. The alarm bells, though, were ringing for the Cats after their surprising straight-sets finals exit last year. While many star premiership players still remain — Steve Johnson, Jimmy Bartel, Corey Enright and James Kelly to name a few — they’re not getting any younger. The additions of Mitch Clark and Rhys Stanley provide the Cats with more ruck and forward depth, but Allen Christensen’s departure to Brisbane casts concerns over the Cats’ midfield depth. With a choppy list — there are only five players aged between 25 and 29 yet plenty in the groups either side — some would say Geelong would be thrilled just to make the eight. But this is a professional unit that continues to set such high standards.

Pass Mark:
6th or higher

Ben Waterworth’s analysis: THE Cats are on the decline, yet they continue to play above themselves. The alarm bells, though, were ringing for the Cats after their surprising straight-sets finals exit last year.

Yo Ben, who did it surprise..?

The only thing that rings true is continue to surprise! Slot it in 4 this season as well.. ;)

Ben Waterworth’s analysis: THE Cats are on the decline, yet they continue to play above themselves. The alarm bells, though, were ringing for the Cats after their surprising straight-sets finals exit last yearl.. ;)

No Ben…they continue to play above YOUR expectations.

Teams don't play "above themselves"…they play to their abilities. … though, unfortunately, not always.

Just another case of the media agreeing with media and been the AFL mantra since our third or even the second flag. Not the outcome they want for their National Competition.
Ben please "be your own man and stop going along to get along. :rolleyes:

Just another case of the media agreeing with media and been the AFL mantra since our third or even the second flag. Not the outcome they want for their National Competition.
Ben please "be your own man and stop going along to get along. :rolleyes:
Yeah it would be good if they weren't all a bunch of sheep, too afraid to go against the grain. And the funniest thing is Meto, when we actually do slide down the ladder (it won't be this year) they'll all come out and say "I told you so" like they're a bunch of prophet's or something. They make me sick!

Geez I'm angry tonight for some reason. :D

Yeah it would be good if they weren't all a bunch of sheep, too afraid to go against the grain. And the funniest thing is Meto, when we actually do slide down the ladder (it won't be this year) they'll all come out and say "I told you so" like they're a bunch of prophet's or something. They make me sick!

Geez I'm angry tonight for some reason. :D
Here, Stan, have some chill pills!! ;)

200.jpg

Hello..? Why bother to quote my post when you have your own point of view..?

Hello? i didn't quote your comment, I quoted Ben Waterhouse's analysis that you quoted so you were able to put your own point of view.

:confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back