2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recall it happening to us in the past. I have no issue with being ruthless at the trade table and making a stand but I do have an issue with the club blatantly screwing another club over and I would be very, very surprised if the club did that as that is what ruins important relationships.
Hadley.
Bradshaw.
JMac.
Mal Michael.

Wouldn't be upset to take Henderson in the PSD after Hadley and Doc for starters.

Hadley.
Bradshaw.
JMac.
Mal Michael.

Wouldn't be upset to take Henderson in the PSD after Hadley and Doc for starters.

Agreed, though given Hadley didn't really amount to a whole lot at Carlton after shows he was basically on his last legs so was at the end of the day was a somewhat fair trade

Hadley.
Bradshaw.
JMac.
Mal Michael.

Sorry I was referring to the more immediate past such as in the past five years, however, I did not make that even remotely clear in my post and therefore your point stands. The fact of the matter is, however, that I do not view those instances as those clubs screwing us over. We are talking about quality KPP's here who are about to enter their prime. Maybe it is just me but I believe there to be a difference in screwing another club over when it comes to stealing players like Carlisle, Dixon and Henderson compared to fringe flankers like Hadley and JMac and KPP's who have 1 to 2 years left and therefore the ramifications when it comes to future dealings at the trade table would be higher. Regardless of this wasn't JMac delisted? And Hadley was traded for a 4th round pick. And Bradshaw kind of quit the club due to the Fevola saga by rejecting a new contract offer. And Mal Michael kind of screwed us over by retiring first. So none of those scenarios compare to what blueiris was suggesting we do to land a KPP.

My original point was that I doubt the club would do that and I don't see it as a realistic option. Do you agree or disagree dlanod? I am genuinely interested in your thoughts in the matter.

"But in a positive for the b̶l̶u̶e̶s̶ .. Lions, he is said to have a preference to remain a two-club player after the Lions traded him in 2009 as part of the Brendan Fevola deal."

Altered but still good news everyone.

My original point was that I doubt the club would do that and I don't see it as a realistic option. Do you agree or disagree dlanod? I am genuinely interested in your thoughts in the matter.

Oops, forgot Hadley was a trade. JMac was definitely a walk out though, not a delisting. I doubt we'd get the KPF through the PSD, but the more likely scenario is that we'd use the threat of it to knock the price being asked down. To use a recent example, we might have got Beams for only 5 + Crisp if we were able to play the PSD card. Maybe we just trade a mid first round pick instead of an early one for Carlisle, maybe a late first round instead of a mid first round for Dixon. GWS got a discount on Mumford, and the Saints got Membrey as a DFA by playing the PSD card in the last two drafts, for example.

Straying away from the tall forward problem here but we should look at a couple of local Queenslanders from other clubs too. Courtney Dempsey, David Armitage and Adam Oxley all having good years. Armitage would be best 22. Dempsey and Oxley would be close. Oh and lets get Lachie Weller with the go home thing :p
Should be looked at, but I think we should focus all our energy on KKP, as the list has a young raw spine.

I really hope that we are not targeting Henderson, just based on the way he plays the game. I also tend to believe that he plays better down back. He is not that forward that will burst open a pack, let alone take a pack mark. He is more a lead up forward that will also kick the odd goal from ground balls, & I would hope that Freeman in time will present exactly this.

The one positive with Lachie is that he can be versatile, but for the price we would need to pay I am not sure that he would give us what we need. Perhaps it is a case of beggars can't be choosers. :(

Wouldn't pay 2 first round picks for Patton has done 2 knee injuries may never be the same again
Cause he has the potential to be a dominate key forward... And has shown he has what it takes.

The club would do that in a heart beat I reckon.

Cause he has the potential to be a dominate key forward... And has shown he has what it takes.

The club would do that in a heart beat I reckon.
No doubt he has talent but the General has done 2 knee injuries trading 2 first round picks for someone who could do another knee and never play again is a silly trade

I really hope that we are not targeting Henderson, just based on the way he plays the game. I also tend to believe that he plays better down back. He is not that forward that will burst open a pack, let alone take a pack mark. He is more a lead up forward that will also kick the odd goal from ground balls, & I would hope that Freeman in time will present exactly this.

The one positive with Lachie is that he can be versatile, but for the price we would need to pay I am not sure that he would give us what we need. Perhaps it is a case of beggars can't be choosers. :(
He's a defender. I think he might actually be getting worse as a forward.

Oops, forgot Hadley was a trade. JMac was definitely a walk out though, not a delisting. I doubt we'd get the KPF through the PSD, but the more likely scenario is that we'd use the threat of it to knock the price being asked down. To use a recent example, we might have got Beams for only 5 + Crisp if we were able to play the PSD card. Maybe we just trade a mid first round pick instead of an early one for Carlisle, maybe a late first round instead of a mid first round for Dixon. GWS got a discount on Mumford, and the Saints got Membrey as a DFA by playing the PSD card in the last two drafts, for example.
Nope JMac was delisted. I remember being shocked at the time but it was a tough call that Vossy decided to make. Yeah considering the calibre of players we are talking about we could use it as a threat to knock the price down. I don't believe actually taking them in the PSD for free, however, to be a realistic option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope JMac was delisted. I remember being shocked at the time but it was a tough call that Vossy decided to make. Yeah considering the calibre of players we are talking about we could use it as a threat to knock the price down. I don't believe actually taking them in the PSD for free, however, to be a realistic option

IIRC we couldn't organise a trade so MacDonald entered the PSD more than us actually wanting to get rid of him.

We tried to get Armitage in 2013. We seriously don't need him though. He wouldn't bring anything different to our midfield.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-30/we-wanted-armitage-lions

Yeah, I remember the whole Armitage talk. Armitage would certainly be best 22 though. But yeah, wouldn't necessarily add anything to our midfield group that we don't already have.

The point of my post was just that we should attempt to lure a couple of Queensland boys to come back home.

Straying away from the tall forward problem here but we should look at a couple of local Queenslanders from other clubs too. Courtney Dempsey, David Armitage and Adam Oxley all having good years. Armitage would be best 22. Dempsey and Oxley would be close. Oh and lets get Lachie Weller with the go home thing :p

Played one game and turned it over half the time. Yep, having a great year.

Nope you remember incorrectly. We couldn't organise a trade and a result Vossy delisted him. http://www.lions.com.au/news/2009-10-15/lions-delist-a-dozen-players-

dlanod cotter101

Generally when a club wants to keep a player they don't delist them.

I don't think that article shows anything. All players got delisted regardless of whether they wouldn't sign a new contract or if they weren't offered a new contract.

There were definitely rumours at the time that he wanted out after being dropped from the team in the finals.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnew...lub-for-a-trade/2009/10/02/1254418714246.html

I don't think that article shows anything. All players got delisted regardless of whether they wouldn't sign a new contract or if they weren't offered a new contract.

There were definitely rumours at the time that he wanted out after being dropped from the team in the finals.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnew...lub-for-a-trade/2009/10/02/1254418714246.html
Ok so if JMac wanted out and then quit after no interest was shown in him at the trade table why did you use him as an example of a player that was stolen from us in a fashion that blueiris suggested we steal the likes of Hendo and Dixon?

Ok so if JMac wanted out and then quit after no interest was shown in him at the trade table why did you use him as an example of a player that was stolen from us in a fashion that blueiris suggested we steal the likes of Hendo and Dixon?

He was an example of a player I recall walking out and us getting no compensation for. Looking over his Roster Watch thread it wasn't as clear cut, but I had a post in there six years ago (!) where there was a rumour Melbourne was lowballing us (only offering a fourth rounder) because of the PSD threat. That's the same situation and obviously what I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back