2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm.. everyone was saying something similar when I said Beams was coming to us... although obviously my source isn't as close to Walker as the one I had for Beams... she knows a bit about the Geelong Footy club all I am saying.

In March last year he wasn't coming to us.

You are some kind of magical information man. Could you teach me your ways?
umm... correct me if I'm wrong but you don't just develop and get into remission of cancer overnight. At the time my father and I never even knew Phil had cancer so I don't know the full story but all I know is that Beams was exploring his options to come home since about February last season.

hmm.. everyone was saying something similar when I said Beams was coming to us... although obviously my source isn't as close to Walker as the one I had for Beams... she knows a bit about the Geelong Footy club all I am saying.

Sources down the crack vine

"8. Matthew Suckling
The defender is one of the best kicks in the competition but finds himself a fair way down the Hawks' pay scales given the reigning premiers' riches of top-end talent. The 26-year-old will probably be offered less than $400,000 a season to stay at Hawthorn, but could attract offers of up to $450,000 elsewhere.
Will he stay or go? His future could depend on whether the Hawks are again active in this year's free agency and trade markets."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-24/the-free-agency-wish-list

I would assume he would stay but depending on how much he would cost it isn't such a bad idea. There will be bigger scalps I would imagine in regards to who we are targeting with Hawkins and Rance leading that race.

"8. Matthew Suckling
The defender is one of the best kicks in the competition but finds himself a fair way down the Hawks' pay scales given the reigning premiers' riches of top-end talent. The 26-year-old will probably be offered less than $400,000 a season to stay at Hawthorn, but could attract offers of up to $450,000 elsewhere.
Will he stay or go? His future could depend on whether the Hawks are again active in this year's free agency and trade markets."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-24/the-free-agency-wish-list

That took my interest also I have to admit, imagine having Rich and Suckling bringing it out of Defence with their elite kicks! Can't see him leaving the Hawks for anything less than a bumper deal though.

That took my interest also I have to admit, imagine having Rich and Suckling bringing it out of Defence with their elite kicks! Can't see him leaving the Hawks for anything less than a bumper deal though.
Well if we get rid of guys like Staker, Maguire, Paine and McGuane, we could get him. Plus their should be left over money to recruit a decent key forward.

I am +100 for Suckling. He would be a perfect replacement for Patful. He is a quality premiership player.. would fit that mould of experienced, good aged, good experience for our team and supplement the experience lost with Patful. I'd be happy up to the $500k mark.. $600k i'd be a bit reluctant but still wouldn't say no.

I am +100 for Suckling. He would be a perfect replacement for Patful. He is a quality premiership player.. would fit that mould of experienced, good aged, good experience for our team and supplement the experience lost with Patful. I'd be happy up to the $500k mark.. $600k i'd be a bit reluctant but still wouldn't say no.
He's not a Patfull sort of player though, he is much smaller, better user, more a running player with good delivery. Where Patfull could play genuinely tall defender, intercept marking etc. Suckling isnt going to do that.

Personally for what we would pay I dont think so because I think we have players to cover that sort of role (sucklings that is). I would be interested in trying to get Whitecross home if his knee is sound because he would be a lot cheaper. And a key forward, a key forward would be nice.

Suckling is a Travis Johnstone type. Ie the worst "elite" kick in the competition. He does produce a few great long kicks each match but he also turns it over a bit and does not do what is required on occasions. He is below average defensively also. He suits the Hawthorn system and looks good in a side that is dominating but I am not sure he would look so good in a midtable team.

I know a few knowledgable Hawks fans and they are not that enthusiastic about Suckling and are not unhappy when he is dropped. They see him in the 18-25 region and not anywhere near the elite category he is portrayed in the media and by the casual fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suckling is a poor mans Trent McKenzie. I'm not sure he really suits our game plan either. He would be an upgrade on Paperone though if we consider him best 22.

Suckling is a poor mans Trent McKenzie. I'm not sure he really suits our game plan either. He would be an upgrade on Paperone though if we consider him best 22.

On some level I think this is fair enough, although since we're picking Paps despite his inconsistent use of the ball you'd think his running must be pretty important to our game plan. In that sense, not sure Suckling would be an upgrade if he's just replicating the role that I'm optimistic Beams and Rich could do better. Paparone clearly has all of the above toweled in running ability.

Paps is a unique player, I think he deserves a chance at AFL level to show if he can perform in defence. He is playing as the loose man in defence and that role suits him perfectly. He just plays off the pack a bit watching for anyone that has broken away pushing forward and he will block their run to free space. Also the role doesn't expose his weak contested side of his game.

On some level I think this is fair enough, although since we're picking Paps despite his inconsistent use of the ball you'd think his running must be pretty important to our game plan. In that sense, not sure Suckling would be an upgrade if he's just replicating the role that I'm optimistic Beams and Rich could do better. Paparone clearly has all of the above toweled in running ability.

Paparone is just beginning his AFL career.

And in a different position - we should at least let him play one AFL game there before grading him :cool:

Paparone is just beginning his AFL career.

And in a different position - we should at least let him play one AFL game there before grading him :cool:

Yeah, I agree with that. I'm a fan of Paparone's and rate his chances of success fairly highly.

Put differently, my point was: Suckling is a more established AFL grade player and in that sense is an immediate upgrade. However, Paps has an uncommon set of attributes that mean Suckling may not be an upgrade in that particular role we want in the side. I was trying to avoid the issue of what Paps may or may not become.

Yeah, I agree with that. I'm a fan of Paparone's and rate his chances of success fairly highly.

Put differently, my point was: Suckling is a more established AFL grade player and in that sense is an immediate upgrade. However, Paps has an uncommon set of attributes that mean Suckling may not be an upgrade in that particular role we want in the side. I was trying to avoid the issue of what Paps may or may not become.

The main advantage of Suckling would be Rich returning to a midfield role next season (which will happen either way) and not losing a quality distributor by foot in the back half.

Still, can't see him leaving a team that has just completed a three-peat :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back