2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

To be fair he was playing on young kpds and our midfield was getting slaughtered.
That's a very fair point, still think he'd offer us more than anything we've got on our list at the moment.
Interesting article on the HS website saying we're targeting him at $750k for 5 years.

We'd have to spend that to entice any one of Carslile, Henderson or Dixon to join us. Carslile and Henderson both want to stay in Victoria it seems. I'd take him on a big contract. I'd want it front loaded pretty heavily though.
Fair enough, I just thought he be worth 500k or MAYBE 600 but 750?
No doubt he be getting a huge payrise and I dont think its justifiable for 750...rance is defintely worth it.

Last edited:
And if we've got salary cap to spare, might as well use it on someone to help our spine.

Saying that, most trade rumours at this time of year are crap.

If we can afford him at those wages and can't get someone else it's worth overpaying to plug a ginormous hole in our team.

Reality is someone who is capable of kicking 40+ goals a season is now worth $500k a year. We pay a premium to extract them from current club and because we are desperrate to move up the ladder.

What's the best way around the News Ltd paywall these days that doesn't involve giving Rupert Murdoch any money?

Edit: worked it out. Changed HeraldSun to news in the URL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruest isn't going anywhere. He was offered crazy money by GWS last year and rejected, no reason why he would accept a contract from us if he said no to GWS.
I am not disputing that, in fact I said as much in my post. I wouldn't be against the club chasing him though. He is such a quality player. As for rejecting the offer by GWS, he was coming off back to back grand final wins with the Hawks. There is no chance any player would leave on the cusp of competing for a hat trick! If the Hawks do not win the grand final this year and GWS offer him the same kind of money it might be a different story but I still doubt he leaves.

And if we've got salary cap to spare, might as well use it on someone to help our spine.

Saying that, most trade rumours at this time of year are crap.
Agreed, however, there is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that the Lions are chasing Rance and Dixon among other out of contract KPP's. The club is desperate to get some mature aged KPP's in to not only help us climb up the ladder but aid the young ones in their development such as Clarke, Gardiner, McStay, Freeman and Close. As you said, if we've got salary cap to spare we may as well use it and they will be heavily front loaded just like DBeams and Bundy meaning the contracts will only have a short term impact on the salary cap despite being long term length wise.

Get it done Swanny! We've got the midfield and we've got the young talent. All we need is a couple of bookends to straighten us up.

Smacks of Carlton to me......buy the list instead of building it from the bottom......and we are supposedly short of money.

Which would be fine if we didn't have a minimum salary cap spend but we do and have to spend it so the question then becomes not should we or will we spend but *how* will we spend ...

Short of money is where coaching staff, support staff, facilities etc come into play ...

Smacks of Carlton to me......buy the list instead of building it from the bottom......and we are supposedly short of money.

We've been building our list from the bottom. Our core group has been developed within(Rockliff, Redden, Rich, Hanley, Paparone, Gardiner, Clarke and Mayes. There's Beams and Christensen, which just about any club would have gone after if they could have got them.

We need a mature tall to take advantage of the midfield we have/will have.

Sounds a lot like recent premiership sides too who filled key position deficiencies with players from other clubs to take them to the next level.

Hawthorn: Lake, Gibson, Gunston
Sydney: Ted Richards, Mumford
Geelong: Ottens
Collingwood: Leigh Brown, Darren Jolly

Last edited:
Sounds a lot like recent premiership sides too who filled key position deficiencies with players from other clubs to take them to the next level.

Hawthorn: Lake, Gibson, Gunston
Sydney: Ted Richards, Mumford
Geelong: Podsiadly, Ottens
Collingwood: Leigh Brown, Darren Jolly

Brisbane: Lynch, Michael

I still like to think of 01-03 as 'recent'.

I'm glad someone else said it RE: successful clubs trading in kpps. This is what trading is for.

To compare us to Carlton because we want to fix an issue that can't be fixed without years of development which, by the time they're done, is still a lucky dip as to whether they're good enough when looking at forwards is ridiculous.

Lol - really? we are the epitome of building a side from the ground up, againts all odds too (comprimised draft etc)? anyone with any experience has been moved on or pushed aside and almost all of our key posts are filled with young first and second year players? Bringing in a few big signings, when you have cap to spare.. is not Carlton like? it is AFL football.

Also sorry MM - I don't mean to take my anger out on your post, but the whole "arnt they suppposed to be broke' thing... is arguably the most frustrating thing I see written in relation to our club. It is on nearly every post and forum i read from other clubs supporters in relation to our player contracts.

WE.... BY AFL RULES.... HAVE.... TO USE...... OUR SALARY CAP!! its got nothing to do with club funds, or springfield or membership.. we have to spend money on paying players.. they are the rules lol!!

Lol - really? we are the epitome of building a side from the ground up, againts all odds too (comprimised draft etc)? anyone with any experience has been moved on or pushed aside and almost all of our key posts are filled with young first and second year players? Bringing in a few big signings, when you have cap to spare.. is not Carlton like? it is AFL football.

Also sorry MM - I don't mean to take my anger out on your post, but the whole "arnt they suppposed to be broke' thing... is arguably the most frustrating thing I see written in relation to our club. It is on nearly every post and forum i read from other clubs supporters in relation to our player contracts.

WE.... BY AFL RULES.... HAVE.... TO USE...... OUR SALARY CAP!! its got nothing to do with club funds, or springfield or membership.. we have to spend money on paying players.. they are the rules lol!!
Don't reckon that's the right tone to make the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back