2015 Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Could Zorko be playing mostly midfield next which will free up Rich with Keays in the forward half

I think he'll rotate a lot through there. A starting midfield of Martin, Rockliff, Beams and Robinson with Hanley and Rich on the wings is good. Throw in rotation of Zorko, Bell, Taylor, Bundy and also Mayes and it's a pretty good looking midfield. Beams, Hanley and Rich are all super damaging at their best and you can't tag all three of them. Pity we never really got to see them all play fully fit together last year.

How about a 3 way Suns, Port & Saints deal to get this crap sorted!

Suns Dixon, 19 & 43 to Port
Ports 10 & 2016 Rd 1 to the Suns
Dixon equivalent to 13.

Suns 10, 16 & 35 to the Saints (2984pts)
Saints 5 & 24 to the Suns (2663pts)

Saints use 10 & 35 for Carlisle (1917pts) Carlisle equivalent to pick 5.

(Suns pick 24 to West Coast for Rosa)

Outcome:

Saints get Carlise & 16/35 to draft with.

Suns have 3 & 5 to draft with.

Port get Dixon, 19/43 to draft with.

Three way deal I'd like to see....

Coll gives pick 26 + 28
North gives Basti + picks 38 + 40 + 53
Bris gives pick Aish + 17 + 42

Coll receives Aish + 42
Bris receives Basti + 26 + 38 + 40 + 53
North receives picks 17 + 28

Gives Brisbane more points for academy players (a loophole were seeing exploited more and more today), I'd be happy to see North receive that back as would Collingwood. Win-win-win.

Three way deal I'd like to see....

Coll gives pick 26 + 28
North gives Basti + picks 38 + 40 + 53
Bris gives pick Aish + 17 + 42

Coll receives Aish + 42
Bris receives Basti + 26 + 38 + 40 + 53
North receives picks 17 + 28

Gives Brisbane more points for academy players (a loophole were seeing exploited more and more today), I'd be happy to see North receive that back as would Collingwood. Win-win-win.

North would cream themselves over it...

Depth role player for 1st rounder and an upgraded 2nd rounder - whilst handing off some loose change

North would cream themselves over it...

Depth role player for 1st rounder and an upgraded 2nd rounder - whilst handing off some loose change

Lets be fair, Bastinac still has talent, and he's only 24. Yeah, he hasn't been given chances, but doesnt mean we have to get ripped off at the same time.

Can't see anyone who loses in that deal. Collingwood would love to get Aish for that little, Brisbane gains more points for Academy players, North gets a good deal back. See your point about price, you could throw in pick 34, but that becomes silly for Brisbane in terms of picks gained.

^^Saw this deal on Twitter a few mins ago (I assume it was you who posted it). I thought it was about right

It might have been....Oh no, my identity has been compromised! :O

Lets be fair, Bastinac still has talent, and he's only 24. Yeah, he hasn't been given chances, but doesnt mean we have to get ripped off at the same time.

Can't see anyone who loses in that deal. Collingwood would love to get Aish for that little, Brisbane gains more points for Academy players, North gets a good deal back. See your point about price, you could throw in pick 34, but that becomes silly for Brisbane in terms of picks gained.

It might have been....Oh no, my identity has been compromised! :O

The issue with points is they still need to be condensed for academy use

You can't just have a long tail of draft picks pick 40+ and use 8 of them to pay for one player.

If Brisbane are simply getting two academy selections and their pick 2

Then they can only use two draft picks this year to pay for their academy players

ie - that scenario would leave them with 26 and 38 and they would be wasting 39, 40, 41 and 42 for example.

I only learnt this yesterday - so whilst points are important - they do need to be somewhat condensed

On Bastinac - he is a 6 year player with moderate output - no way is he worth pick 17 in a fair market.

It is possible however that overs can be generated through the points system though

You can't just have a long tail of draft picks pick 40+ and use 8 of them to pay for one player.

Then they can only use two draft picks this year to pay for their academy players

ie - that scenario would leave them with 26 and 38 and they would be wasting 39, 40, 41 and 42 for example.

I only learnt this yesterday - so whilst points are important - they do need to be somewhat condensed

On Bastinac - he is a 6 year player with moderate output - no way is he worth pick 17 in a fair market.

It is possible however that overs can be generated through the points system though

Actually the opposite.

You can do exactally that, thus GWS, SYD and Bris all unloading their top picks!

Actually the opposite.

You can do exactally that, thus GWS, SYD and Bris all unloading their top picks!

Nope - you can only use as many draft picks for payment as you have available list selections.

So if you only have 3 spots available - you can only use your top 3 selections in the draft - the rest are wasted

After what we've seen today with the pick swaps and abuse of the academy pick loophole, Brisbane might have something up their sleeve in improve all those late picks. Who knows.

Nope - you can only use as many draft picks for payment as you have available list selections.

So if you only have 3 spots available - you can only use your top 3 selections in the draft - the rest are wasted

You may only execute as many picks as you have list spots.

Using them for matching is not executing them. You may execute 3 picks using 10 picks to pay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a hypo for ya - the Yarran trade actually gets done.

Nope. Peter Schawb confirmed otherwise today. If we only have 3 list spots open we can only draft 3 players, that doesn't change, but we can use as many draft picks as we like to get those 3 players for example.

^^Good. I was hoping that was the case.

It is a loophole but I think it's a good one, it at least means that the non-Academy clubs get higher up the draft

I believe our list manager said the opposite today on Twitter. That said, I think it's pretty ridiculous. If you have 15 picks available, an arbitrary point system can't measure how they fit neatly to pay for 3-5 higher picks, if you know what they mean. It would do a pretty reasonable job if you could only use picks up to the number of available list spots a team had before the draft. This pretty important detail about this new system should have been communicated clearly to the public by the AFL.

You don't lose the pick completely - It goes to the back of the draft. So if you've used up all your points and still want to draft someone, you can just use a late pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back