List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but that's a different reason than the one you originally gave, which was that it affects other clubs. Now you're saying it's about Geelong's welfare. Nice that you care, but why? If they want to shoot themselves in the foot, there's a limit to how much the rules can stop them.

Still looking for a deal. Geelong rule change has hurt as now Carlton are hoping to hold pick 5, won't trade for a pick if the players we want aren't there

QUOTE="Diehard Saint, post: 47459007, member: 169467"]bergholt , that's what I meant.

If Carlton had used pick 5 in a deal with GWS to get Marchbank etc we could have possibly done a deal with GWS to get pick 5 for one of our future picks.

But now it's stuffed that up.[/QUOTE]

Not at all concerned about the welfare of the Cats, I am concerned that rules are bent whenever the AFL feels like it. Regarding how it affects other clubs, see quoted posts above. I can't explain it any more that this.

It would want to be a very high pick to be worth it. Taranto is probably gone around pick 5 or 6 then there isn't much that you'd want desperately enough to lose two first rounders for.
Seems that 2 of Brodie, Taranto and SPS will still be there at 6. What's not to like? I assume you mean losing one pick (going from 2 to 1).

I understand why a lot of posters are keen to hold onto both first rounders next year. It gives us flexibility, it gives us plenty of excitement leading up to next year's draft, I get it.

But again I consider the timeline, which is to push for finals by 18, top 4 by 19 and premiership by 20.

Bringing in a quality player or players in 2016 could be more valuable than bringing that player or players in for 2017. If our realistic aim is 2020, then a 2016 draft pick is likely to have had 4 pre-seasons and likely to have played 3 full seasons of footy heading into the season (likely to have played around the magical 50 odd games).

In the absolutely perfect world, we would trade one of our first rounders in 2017 for a top 15 pick and also trade 23 and 36 for a top 15 pick. That's essentially mean that we traded pick 10 for two top 15 picks!!!

This year's haul would be Steele, Stevens, Brown, top 15 pick, top 15 pick, Holmes upgrade.

That'd really set us up.

But yes, we have done very well either way.

It's not a super exciting draft this year......some just are putrid look at 2003 there is lucky to be 5 players who were above average for the whole draft. Cooney the best by a mile then Andrew Walker, Shane Tuck and Mundy probably the next best then just a lot of rubbish. Not all drafts are equal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_AFL_draft

Wish we had a list spot for Marley Williams. Off to North for a nothing pick. Probably doesn't pass the 'No dickhead' rule but only 23 and he can seriously play.

Pies backline is going to be thin next year -

Langdon - Keefe - Sinclair
Oxley - Reid - Howe

Not a solid 1 v 1 defender among them.

Seems that 2 of Brodie, Taranto and SPS will still be there at 6. What's not to like? I assume you mean losing one pick (going from 2 to 1).

I assumed we would have to give up the 2 of next years firsts to get 6. The Hawks probably don't make the 8 next year but if we had 6 and someone said we will give you next years future first for it I'd want overs. True one of those players probably will be around at 6.

I understand why a lot of posters are keen to hold onto both first rounders next year. It gives us flexibility, it gives us plenty of excitement leading up to next year's draft, I get it.

But again I consider the timeline, which is to push for finals by 18, top 4 by 19 and premiership by 20.

Bringing in a quality player or players in 2016 could be more valuable than bringing that player or players in for 2017. If our realistic aim is 2020, then a 2016 draft pick is likely to have had 4 pre-seasons and likely to have played 3 full seasons of footy heading into the season (likely to have played around the magical 50 odd games).

In the absolutely perfect world, we would trade one of our first rounders in 2017 for a top 15 pick and also trade 23 and 36 for a top 15 pick. That's essentially mean that we traded pick 10 for two top 15 picks!!!

This year's haul would be Steele, Stevens, Brown, top 15 pick, top 15 pick, Holmes upgrade.

That'd really set us up.

But yes, we have done very well either way.
Underrated post. Good work.

If we can add 2 highly skilled kids this year we would basically have our next core.

Then keep an eye on the future as we go along.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a super exciting draft this year......some just are putrid look at 2003 there is lucky to be 5 players who were above average for the whole draft. Cooney the best by a mile then Andrew Walker, Shane Tuck and Mundy probably the next best then just a lot of rubbish. Not all drafts are equal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_AFL_draft

Looking at that list, the pick of Sam Fisher at 55 is even more amazing.....

Still plenty of 150+ game players in that list....

Koby Stevens reminds me of when we got Farren Ray from the dogs. Will play a 'solid' role for us when we climb up the ladder.

Never forget Farrens 200 game banner '200 Solid Games' just solid couldn't give him great or fantastic or good...just plain old solid.

I'm actually very bullish on Stevens. I rate him. I think he's better than farren. Will give us much needed grunt in the guts and isn't afraid to put his head over it! We were keen when he wanted out of west coast and have obviously remained keen!

If wright gets a game on grunt and ability to crack in then koby starts!

Hawks 2017 1st -> GWS
Marchbank, Pickett, Templeton, 15 -> Carlton
5 -> STK
Seems pretty fair compensation for Carlton to go from 5 to 15, fair compensation for GWS for Marchbank and Pickett, we do well out of it but mainly because GWS will presumably want some picks for next year.
Probably easier if GWS and Carlton just swap Geelong's 2017 1st for them though.
I just want a high pick this year to make it one of our best intakes ever.

Wish we had a list spot for Marley Williams. Off to North for a nothing pick. Probably doesn't pass the 'No dickhead' rule but only 23 and he can seriously play.

So that's Marley Williams & Paul Ahern. North adopting a policy of Crooks & Crocks by the sound of it :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back