List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Courtesy of Lore

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't seen much of him so just watched a few reels. He looks a very good mover in traffic and very creative by hand. Got pace and breaks away from congestion. Also looks pretty solid overhead.

His kicking does look ordinary but it is better than Greshams based on what I looked at. To be fair to him, a lot of his kicks are out of congestion and just "get it forward" type disposals. He looks a better kick when he has time to set up - longer and flatter than Gresham.

Gotta think Saints have a plan for him. If they could improve his kicking 25% could be a very valuable pick up. Certainly gets to where the ball is going.

Gresham and him are probably not that different in their kicking. If Goddard can improve his kicking he'd be a really good pick up. Zac Jones used to be absolutely terrible playing off HBF at Sydney and moved inside and seemed to actually look better under more pressure and on the move.

I reckon one thing that Dow looked better with this year is attitude in the seniors. He didn't seem be standing back and waiting for the better mids to take the ball. He went and got it himself.

Gresham and him are probably not that different in their kicking. If Goddard can improve his kicking he'd be a really good pick up. Zac Jones used to be absolutely terrible playing off HBF at Sydney and moved inside and seemed to actually look better under more pressure and on the move.

I reckon one thing that Dow looked better with this year is attitude in the seniors. He didn't seem be standing back and waiting for the better mids to take the ball. He went and got it himself.
Zac Jones ball use still haunts me in my sleep Gringo

Kane and Jonno share their thoughts on Paddy Dow acquisition 9/10

I find it kind of funny how differently Dow was talked about when they thought he was going to Sydney compared to what he is once he nominates us.

Marchbank....

SOS, this is getting a bit ridiculous now. There are other players out there

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

He did the same thing when he was at Carlton. His pride gets in the way of his focus. Johnny Patton and Jono O'Rourke might not be done with yet.

Coffield is 2yr old and there are reasons there are doubts on him now.

Don't get me wrong I think losing Coffield is shocking knowing we will now see the best of him, to me it doesn't matter he has not played for 2 years , he has the ability to be a very good player.
But that's my view and I would of thought he was a pick in the late 20s now at worst.
Now the trade period has started, watch the posturing between St Kilda, Bulldogs & Freo over the value of Henry and Coffield…Henry only had half a season of decent footy, Coffield hasn’t played for 2 years & was pretty average before that!

Given the only other ruck left on the merry-go-round is Lycett, I'm happy for Campbell to get another year. His attitude and commitment to being a permanent emergency is top tier.

That said, I hope Heath gets the the majority of ruck time at Sandy next season because he should be ready for that in his development.

The thing is young players also needs senior support, see Collingwood / Sydney, Port etc.

Our list is unbalanced after years of neglect; poor coaching and lack of development. So we are plugging holes with young (Henry, Dow) / senior players (Shiel) for cheap, whilst also hitting the draft hard.

Except this time we have:

1. A competent senior coach (Lyon)
2. Good development coach (Carrol)
3. Assistant coaches (Hayes, Harvey,
4. Recruiter (Toce)
5. List manager (Silvagni)

I know some posters on here are traumatised by our past incompetence and prefer we do nothing except by playing “safe” - drafting 18 year olds only. But let’s see how this trade / draft period plays out, and reserve your total disgust until end of next season perhaps
BJ also very important on development & Boris Enright our most influential line coach!

Firstly well done to the club for attracting the targetted players and getting them to nominate us. Midfield speed was obviously our targetted mantra!

I think Dow will be an inspired trade! The 10 games he played this year showed a glimpse of what he is capable of when given opportunity and I think in our current environment he will continue to improve. He soon turns 24yo so if all goes well he will be a 8-10 year Saint.

Liam Henry 22yo is another who was just starting to show what he is capable of and if he continues to grow on this years efforts, we will have a very good and talented player on our hands.

Dylan Sheil 31yo but still provides burst break away speed, which is something our current midfield is seriously lacking. Yes he may only play 2 or 3 years but will offer another mature mid while we bring our kids through. He hasnt nominated or requested a trade as yet, but you would think thats just a formality.

I was skeptical of the SOS appointment initially, but it would seem he is achieving all our goals this year.
Don’t think SOS is finished yet!!

I hadn't seen much of him so just watched a few reels. He looks a very good mover in traffic and very creative by hand. Got pace and breaks away from congestion. Also looks pretty solid overhead.

His kicking does look ordinary but it is better than Greshams based on what I looked at. To be fair to him, a lot of his kicks are out of congestion and just "get it forward" type disposals. He looks a better kick when he has time to set up - longer and flatter than Gresham.

Gotta think Saints have a plan for him. If they could improve his kicking 25% could be a very valuable pick up. Certainly gets to where the ball is going.
I would suggest that at 23, its too late to improve . however, we desparatly need more midfielders and need quick players, younger versions of crouch etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching Paddy’s highlights from this year it looks like he doesn’t back his power enough and rushes his kick forward. He does the hard work to get clear and kinks it two steps latter when he could steady over 10m and make a concerted attempt to hit a target. There is plenty to work with if Ross and Lenny can turn the right screws and get him to back his legs more from stoppage.

He is no worse than Steele by foot.
He’s got quick hands, is durable & can kick a goal…hope Paddy makes a go of his fresh opportunity

Marchbank lmao.

SOS really is clueless isn't he. Entire strategy is just to bring players over from the last club he worked at. Unbelievable stuff.

Anybody got stats on how many goals a game are scored after a mid streams out of the centre and hits a leading forward lace out? Not many I would think.

Faster ball movement and being able to kick well enough to at least give your forward an advantage is what most clubs are chasing from their mids rather than pinpoint accuracy.

You need that sort of accuracy from your hbf's etc which then creates the faster play.

Shiel is like their Brad Hill though. Coffield is almost a lost sock. If we were talking about paying North Melbourne to take Hill off us we'd be melting like a mars bar on a dashboard.
Brad Hill was a three time premiership winning Hawthorn player, then a Freo B&F.

He was 26 when he came to the Saints and uninjured.
Sheil is nothing like that.
If you want to compare the trade value, they wasted two firsts on Sheil, we overpaid on Hill, however he is playing excellent football under Lyon and arguably our best in the final. Hill still has value no matter how much he is critisised by some who have an interest in seeing him fail, unfortunately for them, he is showing his value under Lyon.
Sheil is 31, broken down, foot and knee issues and is a salary dump.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Same reason so many of our talented kids never went on with it.

Poor coaching, poorer development & in Dow’s case, got games he didn’t deserve for a long time.

He’s shown enough when Voss has played him to suggest their is some untapped talent still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Must remember, Stocker & Dow had 4 coaches in nearly as many years..pretty tough in that scenario to get continuity for young players

I would suggest that at 23, its too late to improve . however, we desparatly need more midfielders and need quick players, younger versions of crouch etc.

Sincs didn't get good til around 25. And our vice captain wasn't even drafted til after 23.

Not saying every player will do it. But we've shown that we can develop players later on. I'd say someone around billings age, it's too late yep. He's a known quantity now.

Kane and Jonno share their thoughts on Paddy Dow acquisition 9/10

Brad Johnson and positive spin on St Kilda don’t exist in the same sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back