Draft Expert 2023 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I totally agree on the need for another half back - whether you look at it from the perspective that Young and/or Chapman move (given Chapman's run with injury I would leave him at hbf for at least one more season, but Young was much more effective in the centre) or even just look at it from general list totals I think it makes sense to get another. Would you consider Shoenmaker if he is available at our second pick? I reckon Joe Fonti and Reece Torrent could also figure into that flanker kind of equation at the rookie level.

I've mentioned Shoenmaker a fair bit on the Fremantle board, he's a high upside guy that I'd be happy taking a chance on. I would be intrigued in developing him as a wing, but would be equally as happy off half back.

I'd add Bodie Ryan to the mix with Torrent too.

I get what you are saying about leaving Moir forward (and I reckon you could have even argued that he makes sense on paper as an eventual Walters replacement), but I also reckon it might be a brave club to do that at AFL level with the defensive expectations that clubs typically have for their small forwards (West Coast may be an exception) - he might be left forward at the VFL/SANFL/WAFL level for some time period. Henry is gone and I am still not sure that we developed him in the right way (despite him being up for becoming a wingman), without even touching on how someone like Moir would go at our club. I can hear Longmuir saying "he is a long term project" before they have even finished reading his name out.

Fremantle does seem to have the philosophy that small and medium forwards need to be defensive options first and foremost, and the attacking stuff is a bonus. I'm hoping we come around to the idea that it's okay to have a purely offensive threat when they're surrounded by defensive guys.

Development wise, I'd like to see Moir settled in his natural position and regain confidence first - and then I'm all for moving him around to fast track other areas of his game. They tried it at the Champs, but things just weren't happening for him. I actually think a season at Peel would suit him because he's best when he's the focal point up forward, not competing with others.

I think I'm just being hopeful though, doubt he comes to us.

As for Liam Henry, I'm not really sure what we could/should have done. I was a fan in his draft year, but his game hasn't translated to AFL level. I'm a bit surprised he hasn't been tried off half back, lack of speed and depth on his kicking might be an issue. But we tried for far too long to make him a forward, when he has no forward craft. I'll be interested to see how he goes at a different club, probably in that wing position. I have doubts he'll ever truly reach his draft year potential.

Know anything about Patrick Weckert?

Port have interest if available:

The strong-marking key forward entered the season as one of SA’s top draft hopes after turning his back on a promising cricket career (as a fast bowler) to focus on football. Started the year in the Eagles’ league team but struggled to make an impact and performed below expectations at the AFL under-18 national championships. However he finished the year strongly, kicking five goals in a reserves semi-final against Central when he took six strong marks. State under-18 coach Tony Bamford noted how Weckert “approaches the game in a physical manner’’

Know anything about Patrick Weckert?

He’s good at what he does. Strong marking forward and a good kick.

In a stronger draft, he’d probably get overlooked. Maybe be one who gets a look in later as a 19 or 20 year old after some state league football. But it’s pretty open after the top 25 this year and there’s also a distinct lack of strong key forwards available. So he wouldn’t be the worst project.

I’m updating my board at the moment and I’m struggling after 40 to find more players.

My rankings in the OP are up to date. I’m happy letting others handle the daily postings though.

Overall, I think it’s an even draft outside the top 15 - quality is probably about average. Good depth in half backs and rucks, some decent KPDs and a smattering of small forwards to keep teams happy.

Lacking key forwards and genuine inside/outside midfielders.

Handful of mature aged guys I’d be happy to go earlier on than normal - Mannagh, Clohesy, El Nour.

Walter is one of the best in years, so that’s something.

I think other KPPs are going to be drafted higher than they should be because the options are slim. I wouldn’t take Croft in the first round. I think Reid, Dawson and Zakostelsky will all be drafted a round earlier than they should be.

I know rucks are different, but Will Green too seems like going earlier than I would. I’d rather Goad and maybe Edwards too.

Poor old Mitch Edwards hasn't done anything wrong in my eyes....yet his ranking has slipped. Hopefully he get's a spot somewhere. I really rate him.

I think other KPPs are going to be drafted higher than they should be because the options are slim. I wouldn’t take Croft in the first round. I think Reid, Dawson and Zakostelsky will all be drafted a round earlier than they should be.

I know rucks are different, but Will Green too seems like going earlier than I would. I’d rather Goad and maybe Edwards too.
This happens every year.

Especially with the mid tier KPP’s who have AFL traits, but haven’t together the performances yet.

Hi Chris, now that the first round has been completed, who do you think is in the frame for us tonight?
Secondly, who are the best ones left, in order that fit our needs?
cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Chris, now that the first round has been completed, who do you think is in the frame for us tonight?
Secondly, who are the best ones left, in order that fit our needs?
cheers

Nothing has really changed for us. There wasn’t really anyone in the frame for our picks who went early. Doubt we’d have left last night surprised.

Mitch Edwards is the obvious name for us. It sounds like we want him. So we’ll see how it falls and I said on the Fremantle board that I don’t think we can rule out us taking him before 40.

The ‘best’ ones available that would suit us are largely half backs like Hastie, Carroll, Roberts, Lual and Jiath. Clohesy with our last/rookie pick maybe.

If Edwards goes before we pick, maybe Lloyd and Morris as talls. But I think we’d be more likely to look at Xavier Walsh and Odin Jones as rookies in that case.

And then the small forwards - Delean, Mannagh, Sanchez, Callinan. There was talk of Loch Rawlinson out of SA, I think he fits what we like better than Delean.

Cooper Simpson, Mitch Edwards and whichever small forward we like would be a nice mix.

I don't think there's necessarily anyone who I don't rate that others do, outside of the top 10 it's pretty even. I do have questions over quite a few, even the ones I rate highly.

Maybe the one I rate lower than others is Jordan Croft. There's been glimpses of his talent, but nothing I'd be using a first round pick on. I also have no idea why the Bulldogs would even consider matching a first round pick. Another 200cm forward seems the last thing they need, especially when they should be competing for finals and Croft would be years away. And if you move Darcy back, why did you draft Busslinger last year. I also don't know why Croft would want it either.

Otherwise, I have questions over Curtin and what exactly he is at the top level - he's a talent and will no doubt find a spot, but I'm probably thinking it's as more of a #2 or #3 key defender as opposed to a full back or even a midfielder. If I wanted a true full back, I'd be more comfortable with Ollie Murphy over Curtin and also Connor O'Sullivan.

Archer Reid is one who gets projected high because of his athleticism and height, it's easy to see why a team would take him early in the second round. Maybe he puts it all together, but it'd be a full round earlier than his performances would dictate for me.

It's more that there's a bunch of guys that I rate higher than others this year - Joel Freijah, Angus Hastie, Lance Collard, Ashton Moir.
Always interesting to re-read some posts after the event, and this one is especially interesting regarding the talks. Did we get the pick of the crop? I do like O'Sullivan.

Always interesting to re-read some posts after the event, and this one is especially interesting regarding the talks. Did we get the pick of the crop? I do like O'Sullivan.

It’s nice when I talk up a Fremantle pick. Means I don’t have to go back and edit my posts.

I did like Ollie Murphy. All year I had him in the 15-20 range. And I thought his game would best translate to being a #1 KPD of all the talls on offer. I did get sucked in a bit by his slow testing, so when I updated my rankings I found myself just dropping him one or two spots each time.

O’Sullivan might have a higher ceiling in terms of being like a Darcy Moore or Harris Andrews type impactful defender. But Murphy could certainly be like peak Alex Pearce.

Chris25 What are your thoughts on Xavier Walsh? See you and Bangers have mentioned him a couple of times, but haven't seen a write up from anyone.

Walsh was one I had just outside my top 50. I would have preferred Fremantle drafted him instead of Odin Jones, but no club has asked for my opinions for a reason…

I’ve always said I’d rather a 195cm guy who can mark than a 200cm guy who can run. No player ever really learns to become a strong mark. Walsh has that natural ability. You never know if it all clicks with talls and he will have to improve his running, but he ticked enough boxes that I’d have given him a shot.

Not that anyone has been asking, but yes I'm still here.

And I'm back for another year, just a bit later than usual. Back to bring more quality calls like Nick Daicos will be a better player when he's winning his own ball and delivering it inside 50, not running around the back half looking for cheap touches. Or that Finn Maginness was a first round talent. I guess one of them proved true on the weekend at least...

Anywhere, here's my board. Complete with a hint of SA bias...

Hey mate once again thank you for your thoughts each year. You have always been my go to for rankings and questions.

With Freo having three first round picks next season. If they don't use any to trade players in or as pick swaps etc who do you think would be available or suit their list needs?

I feel this next draft is absolutely crucial for prolonged success if they nail all three.

Thanks in advance

Fremantle does seem to have the philosophy that small and medium forwards need to be defensive options first and foremost, and the attacking stuff is a bonus. I'm hoping we come around to the idea that it's okay to have a purely offensive threat when they're surrounded by defensive guys.
I'm thinking Delean breaks that mould? Surely Longmuir just tells him to use his weapons.

Chris25 What are your thoughts on Xavier Walsh? See you and Bangers have mentioned him a couple of times, but haven't seen a write up from anyone.
I watched all his games this year
Is very injury prone player so needs to get his body right
Has great hands a terrific leap and can crash a pack
There is a bit of Capper or Modra in him as he can regularly jump on peoples heads
and has very good recovery
Is very much a full forward than CHF though
He just need to get in afl system get the conditioning and play every week.
If port can get him playing for there reserves every week for a couple of years
and let him develop will have a very good talent there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back