Adelaide Crows 2014-2015 Offseason extravaganza

Remove this Banner Ad

10 and 43 for 14 and 35 with Geelong. We must be confident our player will be there at 14.

It has always been said that this years draft is very shallow at the top and then very similar to very deep down the order.
Personally I hope we pick up Caleb Daniel, this kid has serious ability despite being the height of a mushroom.

Lowden is a good back up get, Jacobs will naturally retain number 1 spot, but in case of injury, crows could have done a lot worse than Lowden.

But Cheney???? Just another medium defender

Lowden is a good back up get, Jacobs will naturally retain number 1 spot, but in case of injury, crows could have done a lot worse than Lowden.

Cheney is no superstar, but he played 9 games for the Hawks this year and was well regarded and apparently a great team man. Can see him playing Reilly's role and is a hardnut. Not spectacular but certainly fills a need.

10 and 43 for 14 and 35 with Geelong. We must be confident our player will be there at 14.

You're chasing outside pace aren't you - perhaps the target is Nakia Cockatoo ? (dont think he's widely tipped to go before 14)

Well we'd already done worse once before with Graham so it's hard to see us ever topping that!

Cheney is hard to read why exactly we wanted him, I guess it may help free up someone like Henderson (who can't really defend) or Smith to push them up onto a wing with Cheney to take a HBF position. Then again, I thought that might have been the plan with NVB, perhaps he's just a replacement for Graham?

You're chasing outside pace aren't you - perhaps the target is Nakia Cockatoo ? (dont think he's widely tipped to go before 14)
Pace/outside player/KP defender although a KP forward wouldn't be the worst either since our depth has taken a hit with McKernan and LJ coming off the list and Pods only having a season to go.

Possibly. After hearing Noble last night I get the impression we will go best available, as I think he thinks the draft will give us a good player a that pick whether tall or small. I think that getting earlier picks in 3,4,5 means he thinks we can get what we need even at those picks, if we dvelope the talent correctly. Time will tell I guess.

Cheney is no superstar, but he played 9 games for the Hawks this year and was well regarded and apparently a great team man. Can see him playing Reilly's role and is a hardnut. Not spectacular but certainly fills a need.

Glad to see we agree on something ... Lowden ... ;)

Sure, Cheney is an acceptable half back flanker, but that is & was not a need to be filled by your mob. Plus adding today's delistings, namely Luke Thompson, leaves you with the following tall backmen - Daniel Talia, Sam Siggins, Andy Otten, Sam Shaw & Kyle Hartigan.

Otten will be out for a fair while, reckon you are minus a quality tall defender.

BTW, Brodie Smith is listed as 194cm tall ... no way in hell is he that tall???????

Back on topic, I reckon Cheney doesn't fill a need, okay medium defender, but you have okay medium defender covered.

Well we'd already done worse once before with Graham so it's hard to see us ever topping that!

Train wrecks are common in trades

Cheney is hard to read why exactly we wanted him, I guess it may help free up someone like Henderson (who can't really defend) or Smith to push them up onto a wing with Cheney to take a HBF position. Then again, I thought that might have been the plan with NVB, perhaps he's just a replacement for Graham?

Maybe?

Maybe Walsh is not a fan of Van Berlo?

Possibly. After hearing Noble last night I get the impression we will go best available, as I think he thinks the draft will give us a good player a that pick whether tall or small.

If you are after best available with your 1st pick, 10 is better than 14.

Cheney is a lockdown defender who can play on third tall or first (in a dire emergency like Hawks had this year).

He's good depth, will help Crows down back, get more games than he did at Hawthorn, at least until a KPD Adelaide has developed starts producing.

Good work ethic too, so not a bad player to have around.

Glad to see we agree on something ... Lowden ... ;)

Sure, Cheney is an acceptable half back flanker, but that is & was not a need to be filled by your mob. Plus adding today's delistings, namely Luke Thompson, leaves you with the following tall backmen - Daniel Talia, Sam Siggins, Andy Otten, Sam Shaw & Kyle Hartigan.

Otten will be out for a fair while, reckon you are minus a quality tall defender.

BTW, Brodie Smith is listed as 194cm tall ... no way in hell is he that tall???????

Back on topic, I reckon Cheney doesn't fill a need, okay medium defender, but you have okay medium defender covered.

Train wrecks are common in trades

Maybe?

Maybe Walsh is not a fan of Van Berlo?

If you are after best available with your 1st pick, 10 is better than 14.

Depends where you have ranked your best, he must be confident the 7th best player (if the top Dix are stand outs for example) as ranked by him will be there at 14.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheney is a good third defender. I'd say he was brought in by Walsh to fill the same role that Tom Jonas plays at Port.

The only issue is, they don't have a good SECOND defender right now so he'll end up having to play taller than he should (Unless Hartigan has a breakout).

Cheney is a good third defender. I'd say he was brought in by Walsh to fill the same role that Tom Jonas plays at Port.

The only issue is, they don't have a good SECOND defender right now so he'll end up having to play taller than he should (Unless Hartigan has a breakout).

Wasn't Hartigan seriously hurt this year? I don't know how long he was meant to be out for but remember he suffered internal bleeding..might affect his pre-season?

Someone on our board posted a photo of Harto already starting his preparation to pre-season.

That's good to hear, definitely done things the hard way in his career (overlooked in draft-VFL-rookie list-finally senior list-injured), it's just that he is an unrecognisable player not from Victoria so there isn't much news on him. Hope he smashes pre-season and takes on a real key role down back for you guys.

Wasn't Hartigan seriously hurt this year? I don't know how long he was meant to be out for but remember he suffered internal bleeding..might affect his pre-season?
Someone on our board posted a photo of Harto already starting his preparation to pre-season.
That was me. He is one of the many crows doing "off season" boxing training with Warwick Raymond.
Bz8nks9CcAEV1gh.jpg

Why take the 10th best player available when you can get the 14th
????????????????????????????????????

I would be willing to bet that the player Geelong rank as 10th best would be different to who Adelaide rank as 10th best. Every team has different rankings so just because you don't get it doesn't mean it's a poor decision. It can be judged in a few years.

In 2007 we took Dangerfield at 10 but ranked him top 3 in the draft. Clearly not every team ranked him in the top 3 did they? Every recruiting team would pretty much know how the top 10 will play out so I have no doubt we'll get who we want.

Depends where you have ranked your best, he must be confident the 7th best player (if the top Dix are stand outs for example) as ranked by him will be there at 14.

You're taking the same punt Port did last year, a fair way out we wanted Impey and traded accordingly thinking he'd be available with the 1st round pick we retained for that purpose ... frankly we were lucky the cards fell our way.

The crows are taking the same gamble, you must have identified "Bigfoot Yeti" as the guy you need and reckon he'll be still there by the time pick 14 comes up. It's a gamble that could backfire, after all, how many times in a row can that type of draft gamble work?

Here's the article

"Crows defender Kyle Hartigan says he was lucky not to lose his spleen after suffering internal bleeding in a nasty collision in the SANFL a fortnight ago.

Hartigan was rushed to the Royal Adelaide Hospital and diagnosed with a lacerated spleen, fractured rib and sprained AC joint.

The plan from here is just to keep recovering. I’m not doing much at the moment. I can’t get knocks on my spleen. It’s pretty delicate, so I need to build up my recovery over the next few weeks,” Hartigan said.

I’ll be right to go day one of pre-season and that’s the goal I’m working towards. I’ll make sure I do everything right and won’t do anything silly to aggravate it because I can injure it again very easily.”

Here's the article

Sounds like the type of injury that will need to be protected somehow when playing?

crows logic?

I would be willing to bet that the player Geelong rank as 10th best would be different to who Adelaide rank as 10th best. Every team has different rankings so just because you don't get it doesn't mean it's a poor decision. It can be judged in a few years.

In 2007 we took Dangerfield at 10 but ranked him top 3 in the draft. Clearly not every team ranked him in the top 3 did they? Every recruiting team would pretty much know how the top 10 will play out so I have no doubt we'll get who we want.
Fair enough
But we will never know who that player is
Regardless who they pick it will always be 'the one'

Well they improved 12 spots in the second round, which I assume was done to try and get Cockatoo, assuming he's still there.

But yeah, Hartigan will need a big year, especially after cutting Thompson. Unless they're thinking of playing Pods back there?

This one has had me totally mystified. As you said, what happens if Adelaide have their eye on a player and Geelong cuts their lunch with an earlier pick? It just doesn't make any sense to me. There are no certainties in the draft. Geelong may have a certain player penciled in at 10 but he could go earlier and it throws the entire structure of the draft out.

Why not take the player you want at 10 and not have to wait until 14?

This one has had me totally mystified. As you said, what happens if Adelaide have their eye on a player and Geelong cuts their lunch with an earlier pick? It just doesn't make any sense to me. There are no certainties in the draft. Geelong may have a certain player penciled in at 10 but he could go earlier and it throws the entire structure of the draft out.

Why not take the player you want at 10 and not have to wait until 14?
Noble is very sure of his research I guess. We will never know though as they will always talk up the first round pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back