Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Pies by 7-20

Votes: 116 23.6%
  • Lions by 7-20

Votes: 216 43.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 53 10.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest ever comeback in a grand final at 3/4 is 24 points in 1984. They’d want to be a bit closer I’d reckon.
Maybe, but it's all mental. They'll both be knackered at that stage with the heat, in this scenario.
The crowd starts "Coooollingwoood, Coooollingwoood", get a quick goal or two, and tired Lions could try and save it, which won't end well if 20 points up with 15 minutes to go...

Bailey also took 20+ steps before the goal.

Markov didn’t hear the umpires stand call, it cost a goal. Bailey didn’t hear the umps advantage call, no direct goal from that as it was 55m out and Neale ain’t kicking 60, wasn’t like it was 30 out right in front.

What about the no goal review on Daicos at start of the 4th. That deserved an official review, the way Andrews arm is behind him when he jumped next to the line suggest it was very very close. I know the AFL say every goal is reviewed but as we saw with Adelaide that’s a load of crap and they don’t call it back out of embarrassment. Same to ch7 for not showing goal line replay.
I wouldn’t mind seeing another angle of that McCluggage play that set up Danihers goal with a minute and a half left on the clock to see how close it was to out of bounds.

There would have been a better shot from the normal camera view they have but it was never shown.

Agreed. A little bit of luck helps most years somewhere along the way. Whether its the bounce of the ball in critical moments, injuries, poor goalkicking by other teams, opposition players having bad days, etc.

Just doesn’t happen to premiers, can happen to any team in the top 8. You mentioned Carlton getting within 3 goals of Lions. They so easily might not have even been in that PF if they didn’t get that little bit of luck against Sydney or Melbourne in their finals.
Every Carlton game since last June was an an elimination final of sorts.

Considering that Carlton were on a run of one win in nine games after that defeat to the Bombers, it's kind of amazing that we managed to go so deep in the finals.

You would think that Carlton will improve even further, but i thought that back in 2012 as well! As they say time will tell. It's going to be a very open race for the flag in 2024 imo.

Clear oob and just another ump assisted lions goal.
I wouldn’t mind seeing another angle of that McCluggage play that set up Danihers goal with a minute and a half left on the clock to see how close it was to out of bounds.

There would have been a better shot from the normal camera view they have but it was never shown.

Every Carlton game since last June was an an elimination final of sorts.

Considering that Carlton were on a run of one win in nine games after that defeat to the Bombers, it's kind of amazing that we managed to go so deep in the finals.

You would think that Carlton will improve even further, but i thought that back in 2012 as well! As they say time will tell. It's going to be a very open race for the flag in 2024 imo.
Most certainly.
I think that next year will be even more competitive than this year, if we can believe that.

I think knowing how to win close games will count 3 fold next year.

That was touch and go but didn’t seem obviously out which generally means the umps call it in play. Certainly far more in than Jeremy Cameron’s mark this year.

We were on top vast majority of the game, just didn’t make it count or convert. Shouldn’t have been so close.

Ump
Lol no. If anything slightly edged to you, but consensus here was it was actually one of the better umpired games we'd seen.

Real shame about the advantage being paid. Puts a big question mark over what was otherwise a great game.
Blew the whistle and Brisbane took the advantage. Play on - like the rest of the year.

IF the Brisbane player didn’t hear the whistle, that’s an AFL issue, not the umpire’s.

My memory is not so good and my mathematics even worse, but I am fairly sure since our collective hearts were broken in 2018 that our teams are one premiership apiece.

Given all of the assistance your team has received since then- NGA players (what happened to those?), a generational seagull via Free Agency, salary cap relief from the AFL, fixturing advantages etc it is actually incredible it took you so long to return to premiership glory. And it still took other teams like Brisbane, Carlton and my own to fall over themselves in order for you to achieve it.

But I am not here to devalue your premiership, it was earned (sort of), and I am very happy for you and your fellow supporters.
This is comedy of the highest order - Trump-like.

My favourite part is the sentence "Given all of the assistance your team has received since then" :tearsofjoy: - from a Melbourne fan no less! Your charity masquerading as a footy club has subsisted on the goodwill of bigger, more successful organisations for as long as anyone would care to remember.

I'm also not sure what the relevance or significance of 2018 is either - we have 3 premierships if counting the AFL-era, and 16 if counting VFL/AFL.

My memory is not so good and my mathematics even worse, but I am fairly sure since our collective hearts were broken in 2018 that our teams are one premiership apiece.

Given all of the assistance your team has received since then- NGA players (what happened to those?), a generational seagull via Free Agency, salary cap relief from the AFL, fixturing advantages etc it is actually incredible it took you so long to return to premiership glory. And it still took other teams like Brisbane, Carlton and my own to fall over themselves in order for you to achieve it.

But I am not here to devalue your premiership, it was earned (sort of), and I am very happy for you and your fellow supporters.
im salty rooster teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Bit rich, even by your standards Toumpy. Fancy a Demons supporter pointing the finger at other clubs about AFL assistance. With the possible exception of the expansion teams, Melbourne has undoubtedly been the most subsidised and propped up club, draft pick wise, fiscally and administratively over the past 20 years. But keep on with the delusion if it makes you feel a bit better, or bitter.

Last edited:
im salty rooster teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Bit rich, even by your standards Toumpy. Fancy a Demons supporter pointing the finger at other clubs about AFL assistance. With the possible exception of the expansion teams, Melbourne has undoubtedly been the most subsidised and propped up club, draft pick wise, fiscally and administratively over the past 20 years. But keep on with the delusion if it makes you feel a bit better, or bitter.
Pies rattled the can for them for years on QB games letting them have home game every year to keep the wolves from the door. Bit rich hearing this ungrateful garbage now. :)

I agree, it is very fortunate that you played the grand final at your home ground, which happens to be a venue your opponent has struggled on.

However there is no need to denigrate Melbourne’s recent premiership. We were very clearly the best side in the competition that year. We did not rely on luck, acts of violence, umpire incompetence or fixturing inequalities.
You are obviously very upset at our magnificent 16th premiership.

Why don't you just pop the your dvd of your club's meritorious Covid Cup victory way over in the most isolated capital city in the world?

I'm sure that will make you feel better.

Outstanding coaching move by Fly, his wife giving birth the morning of the game to inspire the team

Just goes to show the level of planning required to win the GF, thinking 9 months ahead

Be interested to see which coaches follow suit next season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol umpires dictating the end of that match.

Instead of blaming the umps how about some blame go to the Lions ball watching midfield when we had the ball.

We kicked two goals, Crisp at the end of the 2nd and De Goey in the 4th thanks to the Brownlow medalist watching N Daicos run away from him and set those goals up. The De Goey goal was the worst defensive efforts you’ll see, Neale, Dunkley and Lyon ball watching Pendles while N Daicos and De Goey sprinted forward and win the game.

Instead of blaming the umps how about some blame go to the Lions ball watching midfield when we had the ball.

We kicked two goals, Crisp at the end of the 2nd and De Goey in the 4th thanks to the Brownlow medalist watching N Daicos run away from him and set those goals up. The De Goey goal was the worst defensive efforts you’ll see, Neale, Dunkley and Lyon ball watching Pendles while N Daicos and De Goey sprinted forward and win the game.
Collingwood should have won by more, far more scoring shots, I had predicted them before the game to in fact, but it was indeed the umpires who had to basically hand them the game at the end, it's very obvious with the 50 metre penalty and goal to Collingwood, and not bringing the ball back to Brisbane when it wasn't an advantage free kick.

Collingwood should have won by more, far more scoring shots, I had predicted them before the game to in fact, but it was indeed the umpires who had to basically hand them the game at the end, it's very obvious with the 50 metre penalty and goal to Collingwood, and not bringing the ball back to Brisbane when it wasn't an advantage free kick.
You conveniently/deliberately overlook the 50 paid against Markov which resulted in a goal to Brisbane, and which the AFL have now said was an incorrect decision.

You also conveniently/deliberately don’t mention the smother of Mason Cox’s kick by Zac Bailey in the first quarter, which resulted in a goal to Brisbane. Bailey had not exited the protected zone prior to play-on being called, and should have been penalised 50 metres.

But having created your little narrative, you’ll no doubt find a way to justify those decisions/non decisions.

Last edited:
An umpire assisted win would be your mob from the blocking non-call in '18.
That's a big * for the '18 flag i'm afraid.
:$

An umpire assisted win would be your mob from the blocking non-call in '18.
That's a big * for the '18 flag i'm afraid.
:$
You're changing the subject and deflecting, this is about the 2023 GF. You could tell the ending was obviously dictated by the umpires with a 50/goal handed to Collingwood, and Brisbane not getting the ball back to them. And I think I made it clear I tipped Collingwood, so I obviously wanted them to win, but from a non-bias perspective it ruined the spectacle.

You're changing the subject and deflecting, this is about the 2023 GF. You could tell the ending was obviously dictated by the umpires with a 50/goal handed to Collingwood, and Brisbane not getting the ball back to them. And I think I made it clear I tipped Collingwood, so I obviously wanted them to win, but from a non-bias perspective it ruined the spectacle.
What are your thoughts on the Markov 50 and the Bailey goal from entering the protected area to smother Cox?

Collinwood won. Even with yet more dubious calls made by umps. Cope harder.

You conveniently/deliberately overlook the 50 paid against Markov which resulted in a goal to Brisbane, and which the AFL have now said was an incorrect decision.

You also conveniently/deliberately don’t mention the smother of Mason Cox’s kick by Zac Bailey in the first quarter, which resulted in a goal to Brisbane. Bailey had not exited the protected zone prior to play on being called, and should have been penalised 50 metres.

But having created your little narrative, you’ll no doubt find a way to justify those decisions/non decisions.
I think I stated "the ending" specifically ruined the spectacle by umpire intervention, and no consistency all going Collingwood's way. There's obviously umpiring results that went both ways throughout. You could sit there all day and try and measure who won umpire favouritism.

What are your thoughts on the Markov 50 and the Bailey goal from entering the protected area to smother Cox?
Was that with the staaaaaaand rule? Obviously that rule is beyond terrible and should be abolished. And like I said, Collingwood should have put Brisbane away earlier, they were terrible in front of goal.

I think I stated "the ending" specifically ruined the spectacle by umpire intervention, and no consistency all going Collingwood's way. There's obviously umpiring results that went both ways throughout. You could sit there all day and try and measure who won umpire favouritism.
So why is the umpiring intervention right at the end more important or relevant to you than the ones throughout the day?

Back