Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 (23/04/24 PATCH: Sliders are here)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

still players missing lol, Melbourne have Caleb Windsor but other draftees Tholstrup and Brown arenā€™t there (Tholstrup was a first round pick)

Also the overalls need to be tweaked, basically every player is between 80-90 but young/vfl players are rated between 50-60 for some reason, with only 2-3 guys on each team rated in the 60s and 70s
tholstrup and brown weren't at marvel stadium on the night of the draft, thus they haven't been scanned in yet.

I am not gonna lie, the game has just gone from very very average (bad), to probably the best AFL game we have had. Realism is awesome, the ball movement has been fixed. Handballing finally works, tactics work, ruck works. Only thing is the ai in defence is sometimes a bit dumb, but so is Maynard in real life, so its fair enough.

Big Ant did post more detail of what they've done relating to notes on their forums.

Steam 4139
PS5 4141, PS4 EU 4137, PS4 US 4135 - 1.000.030/1.30
Xbox One 4136, Xbox Series 4138 - 1.3.0.0/2.3.0.0

Improved player movement
Improved player movement when receiving the ball from handballs and kicks. Players will accelerate faster, and collect the ball at a speed that they can sprint out of without feeling sluggish or slow.

Improved visibility of on the run goal kicking meter
Increased the size and visibility of on the run goal kicking meter and increased cursor size. Increase or decrease width of goals visual based on the angle the player is running towards goal.

Improved kicks to leads
Improved kicking to leading targets by further projecting the target distance of the leading player.

Improved player switching
Altered the decision making of which player is chosen when switching between players to allow for smarter choices of who is being selected.

Improved ruck aiming and midfielder movement
Clear wins in the ruck will have the ball go in the direction the user inputs. Also improved the movement of the midfielders in relation to the ruck hitout direction and tactics being utilised.

Improved tackle animations
Lined up tackle animations better to suit the situation.

Improved stability
A number of issues have been resolved, including crashes in online and general play as well as career mode.

Tuned sprint speed at low stamina
Tuned stamina sprint speed penalty that was being applied when players had low stamina.

Tuned and balanced torpedo kicks
Tuned torpedo kicks to have more spray, also balance ability to score and hit passes with a torpedo kick.

Tuned and balanced clearance kicks
Sped up clearance kick animations so that players can make clearance kicks quicker and removed charge up mechanic. Widen range for clearance kicks.

Tuned and balanced drop punts
Improved general play drop punts accuracy when targeting a player. Add more spray when not targetting a player.

Tuned and balanced on the run goal kicking
The goal kick meter will adjust dynamically based on the angle of the shot and distance from goal. Removed swing based on footedness.

Tuned and balanced handballs
Tuned the targeting of handballs, to hit targets better and more consistently. Tuned handball accuracy for longer distance and shorter distance handballs when being tackled. Also tuned handballs for leading players around contests.

Tuned AI defensive behaviour
Tuned the aggressiveness of AI defenders sticking to their man when the team is in control of the ball and without. AI will no longer spoil if they are the only player in a contest.

Tuned and balanced leading players
Tuned leading patterns to allow players to lead more frequently and into better leading positions. Leading players will also now get to a higher sprint speed.

Tuned tackle homing
Tuned the tackle homing option to follow the ball carrier better and more consistently.

Tuned AI smothering behaviour
Tuned down the rate the AI would smother the ball.

Tuned advantage detection
Tuned the advantage detection for human players, so that advantage is called more correctly.

Added 3rd Person Camera Option at set kicks
Pressing L3 at free kicks or after taking marks will change the camera to a 3rd person camera

Added RB/R1 to speed up on the run goal kicking meter
For situations where you feel you have less time to kick a goal on the run, holding RB/R1 will speed up the meter by double.

Added Sydney Swans AFLW team song to end of match
The Sydney Swans AFLW team will now sing the song at the end of a match if they win.

Updated competition mode start date
Competition mode will now start in 2024.

Updated 2024 uniforms
All AFL teams have updated 2024 uniforms.

Updated 2024 rosters
This is a two part change, for now we have updated rosters to only include the newest recruits that we have obtained photogrammetry for. The second part with all players will be coming in a later update.

Updated 2024 fixtures
Updated fixtures to 2024 for AFL and State League to match real world.

Added height to player identity screen
Now showing the player heights in the identity screen in academy.

Increased maximum uniforms
Increased maximum uniform count to 20.

still players missing lol, Melbourne have Caleb Windsor but other draftees Tholstrup and Brown arenā€™t there (Tholstrup was a first round pick)

Also the overalls need to be tweaked, basically every player is between 80-90 but young/vfl players are rated between 50-60 for some reason, with only 2-3 guys on each team rated in the 60s and 70s
I suspect those players will be added in the next update next month as specified.
No updates to career mode?
Doesn't look like it but there's apparently more gameplay improvements coming on the 23rd of April along with the rest of the draftees. So maybe they update it then? Really have no clue with these guys.

tholstrup and brown weren't at marvel stadium on the night of the draft, thus they haven't been scanned in yet.
Seems pretty silly to basically just exclude any players that werenā€™t at draft night. Surely just generic or basic generated faces would be better than leaving them out . What would be the point of starting a season mode with 2024 fixtures if you donā€™t have complete lists

Having said that, Iā€™m still rolling in a career with Hawthorn in 2028 so happy to keep that going with improved gameplay for another month before moving onto new lists in April. Havenā€™t seen too much negativity about the gameplay yet which is good

As someone who gave up playing in October because it was so bad, i can honestly say this is a massive improvement. It is entirely playable and enjoyable.
Things that I would still like to see (if you still come here Ross?)

-player selection on semi-assiated is super erratic and I'm struggling where I am half the time.
-some kind of meter for marking, still feels random.
-feedback on who you will be handballing to.

Overall a massive improvement.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Played one game on PS5. It's good, I like it. In the simplest terms it plays like one of those weekly patches where it felt like the game was coming together.

IMP: Delete all saved seasons before playing, if you load one up it wipes all the 2024 player defaults and role setting appears buggy afterward.

Things I can notice after one game -
  • faster, more hectic
  • AI player support improved
  • having players at the contest finally swings the odds in your favour
  • getting off a handball in congestion much easier - I think they have auto enabled raising your hands for disposal. Whatever they've done it works.
  • being tackled while kicking typically results in dropping the ball - appears to pair well with the easier handballing. Also makes it easier in defence if you make it to the contest.
  • a lot more marking with players running back into space, your defenders will have their hands full
  • the extra responsiveness makes the game feel easier so there may be convos around game difficulty in future. Being rusty myself I am a long way from that situation.
  • some minor cosmetic improvements, nothing major
  • didn't read the patch notes so either haven't tested or didn't notice the fast metre.

The only negative so far is that it's still possible to have rough sequences where a player won't tackle or mark even though you were there in time. It's still AFL23 so don't expect miracles. But at one game in so far I'm pretty happy, it's a lot more than I was expecting.

I don't play management mode, have nfi. Assume untouched.

• stoppages are much less clunky, actually able to get a possession away most of the time
  • more visible goalkicking meter is great, so is the feature to speed up the meter. goalkicking animations are still a bit weird however
  • much easier to move around the ground with short kicks and uncontested marks
  • clearance kick out of a centre bounce is OP on medium difficulty, very easy to grab it and immediately hit up a half forward on the 50

Good to see the positive feedback soo far, looks like they have actually spent the last 6-8 months wisely. Should have been the launch game but šŸ¤·šŸ» hopefully this is a solid base now for the next iteration šŸ¤ž

Canā€™t wait to get home and play as my boy Nate Caddy. šŸ’Ŗ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm having a hellish time with this so far. Automatic player switching feels so frantic and aggressive that I don't even have time to notice who I'm controlling, which makes it extremely hard to win the ball in contests. It also frequently switches to players who are nowhere near the contest and if I try to manually switch the game just overrides me and switches back.

Am I just too dumb and slow to keep up? Or is this game meant to be played with manual switching only?

Some of the new guernseys for all wondering, 2023 kits will also be available in teams.
People First and Engie have also been updated to include the new sponsorship names.

Attachments

• CBC19F23-0203-475A-8934-77A1693D962D.jpeg
    CBC19F23-0203-475A-8934-77A1693D962D.jpeg
    622.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 69E950CB-09CA-4CA5-B404-3510CED8C417.jpeg
    69E950CB-09CA-4CA5-B404-3510CED8C417.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 6120726B-CB07-4187-AF2C-4CF5E993C139.jpeg
    6120726B-CB07-4187-AF2C-4CF5E993C139.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
  • 0190C634-F63E-42BC-AEA4-24EA36F1541E.jpeg
    0190C634-F63E-42BC-AEA4-24EA36F1541E.jpeg
    1,004 KB · Views: 60
  • E4C37C49-E448-4DD7-B236-EE0BD3B88711.jpeg
    E4C37C49-E448-4DD7-B236-EE0BD3B88711.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
  • 98F84DB4-7A57-4EF7-8AE7-A015BD3F5BF5.jpeg
    98F84DB4-7A57-4EF7-8AE7-A015BD3F5BF5.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 47
  • A039B8AB-8B99-478B-AF34-6B917D0960DA.jpeg
    A039B8AB-8B99-478B-AF34-6B917D0960DA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 87DA6E98-FD1C-4385-98B3-5EEDDCDE24D9.jpeg
    87DA6E98-FD1C-4385-98B3-5EEDDCDE24D9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • 7FC94254-38BC-454E-B6E6-42B40C9AB7B8.jpeg
    7FC94254-38BC-454E-B6E6-42B40C9AB7B8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 9D2B917F-04D3-4C68-B444-D18F0FD9A525.jpeg
    9D2B917F-04D3-4C68-B444-D18F0FD9A525.jpeg
    465.8 KB · Views: 49
Okay so Iā€™ve very openly been an AFL23 haterā€¦ I played one game after the new patches and hereā€™s my thoughts

The good:
Handballing. Holy s**t. Wow. How hard was that BigAnt? Weā€™ve been asking for this since launch and my god itā€™s worlds above what it was. Better than Evo 2 now imo and I loved Evo 2ā€™s handballing. Powering up the handball genuinely makes a difference as to whether it hits your target or not. Youā€™d think this is a completely different game
Stoppages/Rucking. Another big improvement. Hitouts often go to where you intend them to go and midfielders are on the move instantly. Disposals now reflect real games with midfielders getting majority of the ball
Stuck in the mud. ALMOST non existent. There was maybe 2 times during the game that I thought my players should have been able to move faster off the mark but even then, it wasnā€™t as drastic as it was before the patch. So huge props there.
Tactics. AI seems to actually cover the ground correctly now. Aside from kick ins which Iā€™ll get to with the negatives

The bad:
Kick ins. Overloading left or right is still completely useless. No matter where you kick it, itā€™s to an open player or a one on one. Players definitely donā€™t form a pack on one side of the ground like the tactic suggests it should. Not sure why this is so hard to get right.
Kicking when behind the player. I know, this doesnā€™t make sense. Let me explain. When you have the opportunity to enter a set shot where the camera goes behind the player, you canā€™t stab kick. Likewise from a kick in or an out on the full kick in your backline. For whatever reason, it acts as though youā€™re playing on and then enters into a snap kick animation. So stab kicking is now literally only useful in the middle of the ground. Iā€™m sure this could be an easy fix so I look forward to this being corrected.
Tackling. Not a game breaker but thereā€™s times where you think you should be able to tackle and it just doesnā€™t for whatever reason. Again, this can be easily fixed and itā€™s not a gameplay killer as it currently is.
Ratings. Wtf have they done. Tsatas is a 55ā€¦ As someone pointed out earlier, players are now 80-90 or under 60. Baffles me as to why theyā€™d think this is a good choice. Literally the dumbest thing they could have done.
Auto player switching. When defending, you canā€™t control one player and move them to whatever part of the ground you want and likewise, canā€™t control the player on the mark. Itā€™s just constantly automatically switching which is quite baffling. Again, should be an easy fix, though

Overall. Wow. Gameplay wise, it feels like a completely new game. Makes you wonder how it went so wrong in the beginning. Itā€™s genuinely fun now and I didnā€™t think that would be possible at least in this game. Makes me excited for AFL 25, or at least for AFL 25, 12 months after its initial horrible launch as Iā€™m sure we all expect now šŸ˜œ

Again, Iā€™ve only played one game. Iā€™m sure I will probably pick up on things the more I play, good or bad.
I still refuse to touch management mode until they come out with patch notes saying itā€™s been fixed.
I also now look forward to ProTeam. Gameplay is well and truly good enough for it to be enjoyable if they do it right.

Last edited:
Very very happy with how this update has changed the game. Only problem I really have is that the AI is still ridiculously accurate under pressure when on the run inside 50, and the scoreboard went missing 4 minutes into the first quarter and didnt reappear for the rest of the game šŸ˜­

i havenā€™t touched manager mode yet due to everyone saying itā€™s bad and broken etc.
whatā€™s actually wrong with it? is it the offseason stuff (what iā€™d be most interested in) or other stuff like stat and game tracking?

i havenā€™t touched manager mode yet due to everyone saying itā€™s bad and broken etc.
whatā€™s actually wrong with it? is it the offseason stuff (what iā€™d be most interested in) or other stuff like stat and game tracking?
All of that and then some. No real player progression, players drop from 90 to 60 in just one offseason etc
Thereā€™s just too much to list lol

Okay so Iā€™ve very openly been an AFL23 haterā€¦ I played one game after the new patches and hereā€™s my thoughts

The good:
Handballing. Holy s**t. Wow. How hard was that BigAnt? Weā€™ve been asking for this since launch and my god itā€™s worlds above what it was. Better than Evo 2 now imo and I loved Evo 2ā€™s handballing. Powering up the handball genuinely makes a difference as to whether it hits your target or not. Youā€™d think this is a completely different game
Stoppages/Rucking. Another big improvement. Hitouts often go to where you intend them to go and midfielders are on the move instantly. Disposals now reflect real games with midfielders getting majority of the ball
Stuck in the mud. ALMOST non existent. There was maybe 2 times during the game that I thought my players should have been able to move faster off the mark but even then, it wasnā€™t as drastic as it was before the patch. So huge props there.
Tactics. AI seems to actually cover the ground correctly now. Aside from kick ins which Iā€™ll get to with the negatives

The bad:
Kick ins. Overloading left or right is still completely useless. No matter where you kick it, itā€™s to an open player or a one on one. Players definitely donā€™t form a pack on one side of the ground like the tactic suggests it should. Not sure why this is so hard to get right.
Kicking when behind the player. I know, this doesnā€™t make sense. Let me explain. When you have the opportunity to enter a set shot where the camera goes behind the player, you canā€™t stab kick. Likewise from a kick in or an out on the full kick in your backline. For whatever reason, it acts as though youā€™re playing on and then enters into a snap kick animation. So stab kicking is now literally only useful in the middle of the ground. Iā€™m sure this could be an easy fix so I look forward to this being corrected.
Tackling. Not a game breaker but thereā€™s times where you think you should be able to tackle and it just doesnā€™t for whatever reason. Again, this can be easily fixed and itā€™s not a gameplay killer as it currently is.
Ratings. Wtf have they done. Tsatas is a 55ā€¦ As someone pointed out earlier, players are now 80-90 or under 60. Baffles me as to why theyā€™d think this is a good choice. Literally the dumbest thing they could have done.
Auto player switching. When defending, you canā€™t control one player and move them to whatever part of the ground you want and likewise, canā€™t control the player on the mark. Itā€™s just constantly automatically switching which is quite baffling. Again, should be an easy fix, though

Overall. Wow. Gameplay wise, it feels like a completely new game. Makes you wonder how it went so wrong in the beginning. Itā€™s genuinely fun now and I didnā€™t think that would be possible at least in this game. Makes me excited for AFL 25, or at least for AFL 25, 12 months after its initial horrible launch as Iā€™m sure we all expect now šŸ˜œ

Again, Iā€™ve only played one game. Iā€™m sure I will probably pick up on things the more I play, good or bad.
I still refuse to touch management mode until they come out with patch notes saying itā€™s been fixed.
I also now look forward to ProTeam. Gameplay is well and truly good enough for it to be enjoyable if they do it right.
Wait tsatas 55? After Saturdays game and on potential alone Iā€™d have him at 75 minimum lol

Ps good to see handballs have improve šŸ™šŸ¤£

Wait tsatas 55? After Saturdays game and on potential alone Iā€™d have him at 75 minimum lol

Ps good to see handballs have improve šŸ™šŸ¤£
Yeah if I remember correctly, he was 75 pre patch. Not sure why theyā€™ve changed the ratings so drastically lmao. Hope they fix this as itā€™s now unappealing to play players rated in the 50ā€™s

Ohh mate, Iā€™ve been dying for a decent handballing system šŸ¤£

Yeah if I remember correctly, he was 75 pre patch. Not sure why theyā€™ve changed the ratings so drastically lmao. Hope they fix this as itā€™s now unappealing to play players rated in the 50ā€™s

Ohh mate, Iā€™ve been dying for a decent handballing system šŸ¤£
Haha I noticed šŸ¤£

Hopefully the ratings are fixed next patch šŸ™

Remove this Banner Ad

Back