Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 (23/04/24 PATCH: Sliders are here)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just played 1st game - Richmond v Carlton on hardest difficulty and 5 minute quarters. My thoughts
  • Holy hell this is a muuuuch better experience. Able to genuinely work your way around the ground with a balance of reflexes, decision making and tactics.
  • I lost 6.0 to 3.7 - a lot of that 7 behinds was me learning the faster kicking mechanic and re-learning goal kicking, which slightly worries me that the game will be too easy.
  • Handballing and clearances work SO much better. Able to hit targets, but not stupidly, had 1 example of a 30m sideways handball the wrong way out of bounds but that was it. Clearances are good with a player hitting the contest hard, albeit it feels a little bit RNG which team gets the clearance and ideally that should be a tactics decision (ie set 1/2/3 midfielders to 'hit contest hard', but means very exposed defensively if they miss out. And vice versa set 1/2/3 midfielders to tag/defend to prevent the clearance to other team).
  • I played a zone defence - worked really well. Balance of Carlton picking their way through it with short options and kicking long to the outnumber when under pressure. Then on the counter I was able to work my way around the boundary to half back and sometimes further, wasn't too easy but also didn't feel gimicky like in Evo 2 with the spare defender. If I moved quick I could get to half forward at times.
  • Marking contests didn't feel much different but they worked well already I thought. Remember not to try mark when outnumbered.
  • Tackling still felt frustrating, not enough skill/control over it. Not sure the best solution though.
  • Change player as others have mentioned needs work. At times the player icon would spaz around between players at incredible rates of speed. I find that I like the auto change player after a mark or a kick, but when defending handpasses and scrappy play I much preferred manual change player. I tried manual, but found that too intensive to manage - am sure it can work okay in time.

Overall a genuinely fun experience, Carlton's key forwards caused me problems and can definitely see different tactics for different opponents being a thing in this game. Would love to see management mode bugs fixed and ratings sorted out so that we can play offline in a meaningful way going forward, but core gameplay definitely a way better experience now.

I can't get through a management mode game without it crashing, anyone else finding this?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd love to check myself but I never touched Management Mode after seeing the mess it was at launch.

If it's still broken, I'm hoping the update on April 23rd fixes it otherwise, Yeesh....

• Marking contests didn't feel much different but they worked well already I thought. Remember not to try mark when outnumbered.
  • Tackling still felt frustrating, not enough skill/control over it. Not sure the best solution though.

I feel like both marking & tackling could benefit having meters implemented. Marking could be like a circular meter that you fill up and timed to hit a sweet spot and the spot being smaller for an attempted speccie.

Tackling Iā€™d almost have like an NBA 2K charge-up meter where again the aim is to hit a spot to land a successful tackle and missing it maybe causes a dropped ball or free against if past the sweet spot.

I lost 6.0 to 3.7 - a lot of that 7 behinds was me learning the faster kicking mechanic and re-learning goal kicking, which slightly worries me that the game will be too easy.
This is one of my big concerns that goal kicking will continue being way too easy to do during a set shot.

Wouldnā€™t be a bad option if they model the next AFL set shot motion similar to Rugby League Live 4.

I lost 6.0 to 3.7 - a lot of that 7 behinds was me learning the faster kicking mechanic and re-learning goal kicking, which slightly worries me that the game will be too easy.

I hope it's a new challenge..... I'd still like to wallop Essendon/Sydney/Geelong by 1000 points though šŸ˜›

I hope it's a new challenge..... I'd still like to wallop Essendon/Sydney/Geelong by 1000 points though šŸ˜›
Is Hawthorn near the 100th premiership in a row mark in your career mode save ;)

Couple more things Iā€™ve noticed.

Tackling still needs work. CPU always seems to double you in tackles and thatā€™s purely because it doesnā€™t allow you to tackle sometimes which is frustrating

Sometimes handballs travel about 40 meters on the bounce if they donā€™t hit a target but oddly enough, it only ever seems to happen near the boundary line and itā€™s seldom so not a game breaker

Kicking takes forever around the ground sometimes as well. Get caught when you shouldnā€™t.

Another change is that you canā€™t always kick immediately after taking a mark as quite often youā€™ll get caught holding the ball. Depends on the situation tho. Sometimes youā€™re in a better position to do so and itā€™s fine. Works realistically that way imo

The other thing I really like is that you can press play on and it doesnā€™t automatically play on. By that I mean that the player on the mark doesnā€™t run and tackle you if you havenā€™t moved. You have to move off your mark which is great. By doing this, if you have a mark further up the ground, you can now finally draw the defenders in and handball to someone running past
Really satisfying to pull off

Is it just me or is the game choppy now?

I feel like it's running at 30fps when before it was 60fps.

Great improvements though especially hand balling. Plenty more to do but definitely on the right track

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anybody explain what the red cross for Comben and Shiels is in management mode? Assuming it means injured?

Thought I would have a crack seeing the game is playable for the first time.View attachment 1932854

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah that means theyā€™re injured. If you go into Team Management (I think thatā€™s the menu name) and then whatever the top option is, it tells you whoā€™s injured and how long for.

I simulated a season of manager career for anyone interested:
  • Carlton went 23-0 & didn't lose a final, beating Brisbane in the granny. Melbourne finished bottom.
  • Levi Ashcroft was interestingly available in the midseason draft, as he's part of the Brisbane VFL team.
  • If you don't make finals, the finals just happen all in one simulation click without you being able to see it round by round. You won't even see it at all unless you go looking for it in the fixtures menu.
  • The player stats on the home screen between rounds is still a complete mess. Goal scorers/disposals/marks are single game stats and not even the top ones from the round.
  • 10 of the top 13 in the Brownlow medal were ruckman, with Visentini from Port beating out Darcy Fort for the honour.
  • The Coleman medal was quite realistic. Curnow won on 50 goals, Oscar Allen and Mckay were 2nd and 3rd.
  • Rising star was also dominated by rucks (Verrall from Melbourne winning it). No sign of Harley Reid or any of the newly added draftees.
  • AA team: Midfield was okay (Merrett/LDU/Parker/T. Kelly) but the backline and forward lines were a complete mess. Backline was Busslinger/Frampton/Hind/Goater/Paton/Madden.
  • Trade week: Melbourne offered me pick 1 for Ryan Burton and pick 10. Sydney offered pick 7 for Kane Farrell.
  • When negotiating contracts with out of contract players, they accept your offer but the offer is never finalised. All you can do is go 'Back' which doesn't finalise the deal - so you lose the player after the deadline unless you 'leave it to list manager'. This works normally during the season, however.
  • Top draftees were all 70-75 rated players which was good. After the first round the AI teams start drafting 55-65 rated players despite 70+ rated young players still available
  • Some notable player movements: Starcevich to Crows, Silvagni to Dees, Stengle to Blues, Rowell to Tigers, Baker to Gold Coast. The number of players moved is pretty realistic IMO.
  • Not as many odd delistings. Previously lots of good players would be delisted. Seemingly fixed, but there is such a huge gap now between your worst players (50-60 overall) and your 'average' players (80-85 overall). Maybe this was how they fixed it?
  • Not many changes in player overall. Harley Reid went from 72 to 76 which is nice. Sanders from 70 to 72. Would be nice to have some sort of training system in place to really feel like you can contribute to this growth.
All in all, it's closer to being playable but still lots of improvement required. Without a playable manager mode, I don't have any real need to play this game beyond the odd quick match.

Is Hawthorn near the 100th premiership in a row mark in your career mode save ;)

Actually I didn't play Hawthorn constantly in the season mode. Technically twice, most of my Hawthorn videos when I was posting them, came from exhibition matches.

Did a season as Brisbane, North Melbourne (lol just wanted to challenge myself with a weakened stats team), Port Adelaide etc

I simulated a season of manager career for anyone interested:
  • Carlton went 23-0 & didn't lose a final, beating Brisbane in the granny. Melbourne finished bottom.
  • Levi Ashcroft was interestingly available in the midseason draft, as he's part of the Brisbane VFL team.
  • If you don't make finals, the finals just happen all in one simulation click without you being able to see it round by round. You won't even see it at all unless you go looking for it in the fixtures menu.
  • The player stats on the home screen between rounds is still a complete mess. Goal scorers/disposals/marks are single game stats and not even the top ones from the round.
  • 10 of the top 13 in the Brownlow medal were ruckman, with Visentini from Port beating out Darcy Fort for the honour.
  • The Coleman medal was quite realistic. Curnow won on 50 goals, Oscar Allen and Mckay were 2nd and 3rd.
  • Rising star was also dominated by rucks (Verrall from Melbourne winning it). No sign of Harley Reid or any of the newly added draftees.
  • AA team: Midfield was okay (Merrett/LDU/Parker/T. Kelly) but the backline and forward lines were a complete mess. Backline was Busslinger/Frampton/Hind/Goater/Paton/Madden.
  • Trade week: Melbourne offered me pick 1 for Ryan Burton and pick 10. Sydney offered pick 7 for Kane Farrell.
  • When negotiating contracts with out of contract players, they accept your offer but the offer is never finalised. All you can do is go 'Back' which doesn't finalise the deal - so you lose the player after the deadline unless you 'leave it to list manager'. This works normally during the season, however.
  • Top draftees were all 70-75 rated players which was good. After the first round the AI teams start drafting 55-65 rated players despite 70+ rated young players still available
  • Some notable player movements: Starcevich to Crows, Silvagni to Dees, Stengle to Blues, Rowell to Tigers, Baker to Gold Coast. The number of players moved is pretty realistic IMO.
  • Not as many odd delistings. Previously lots of good players would be delisted. Seemingly fixed, but there is such a huge gap now between your worst players (50-60 overall) and your 'average' players (80-85 overall). Maybe this was how they fixed it?
  • Not many changes in player overall. Harley Reid went from 72 to 76 which is nice. Sanders from 70 to 72. Would be nice to have some sort of training system in place to really feel like you can contribute to this growth.
All in all, it's closer to being playable but still lots of improvement required. Without a playable manager mode, I don't have any real need to play this game beyond the odd quick match.
Regarding Levi being available mid-season (as it stuck out at me from first glance), that isnā€™t new cause I might or might created a super duo in my first season at the Lions to win us the premiership šŸ¤—

I feel like both marking & tackling could benefit having meters implemented. Marking could be like a circular meter that you fill up and timed to hit a sweet spot and the spot being smaller for an attempted speccie.

Tackling Iā€™d almost have like an NBA 2K charge-up meter where again the aim is to hit a spot to land a successful tackle and missing it maybe causes a dropped ball or free against if past the sweet spot.
Marking successfully should be based on how you're positioned, height in a pack, or player momentum rushing at the ball. There definitely should not be forced wrestling, it should have been optional and a controllable mechanic.

Tackling is too bare bones, there's no numbers in tackling like there is no numbers in marking contests.

Are there actual offers from other clubs now? Or did you mean they just accepted your offer of Burton & 10 for 1?

Marking successfully should be based on how you're positioned, height in a pack, or player momentum rushing at the ball. There definitely should not be forced wrestling, it should have been optional and a controllable mechanic.

Tackling is too bare bones, there's no numbers in tackling like there is no numbers in marking contests.

Positioning and momentum I 100% agree with. Height? Not as much. Iā€™d back Jamie Elliott to take a pack mark over Mason Cox 7 days a week. Skill/player rating should also definitely be factored into the result.

True but I guess thats an area that will take more fine tuning for now. It would be cool to see big multi-person collisions in tackles but that could be a long way off being implemented.

Decided to give the game a shot again with the new update after a few months hiatus. While overall it feels like an improvement from what I remember, stuff like this remind me why I stopped playing in the first place.

Running shot on the goal line and stopped the marker between the lines and somehow it goes out on the full??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back