Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 (23/04/24 PATCH: Sliders are here)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played my first few games post patch:

• Damn this is fun, just about everything that needed improving has been massively improved.
  • The quick kick at goal mechanic is gonna take some getting used to but itā€™s hopefully made snap/banana kicks on the run actually usable.
  • My second game I played as Crows v Dees, I kicked the first three goals and was worried that the game was now too easy but after quarter time, Melbourne somehow completely shut down my scoring and kept me to one goal in the next 3 quarters and it wasnā€™t some bs Gawn ruck dominance glitch thing either as I was winning most ruck contests, it just felt like the Dees increased their pressure after quarter time (a cool and realistic feeling experience Iā€™ve never really had in an AFL game before).

A few negatives:
  • Grundy was playing for Melbourne despite not even being on their list in-game.
  • I did see one instance of the weird ā€˜change foot while kicking while being tackled visualā€™ glitch.
  • I still canā€™t workout how bumping is supposed to work, if they could actually manage to get this working itā€™d lead to some pretty big hits with how fast the game now plays.

Positioning and momentum I 100% agree with. Height? Not as much. Iā€™d back Jamie Elliott to take a pack mark over Mason Cox 7 days a week. Skill/player rating should also definitely be factored into the result.

True but I guess thats an area that will take more fine tuning for now. It would be cool to see big multi-person collisions in tackles but that could be a long way off being implemented.
I think that's something these AFL games struggle with, is the uniqueness of some players. Generally you wouldn't think an Elliott type player would be anywhere close to a better chance of a pack mark over a Cox, but in that case you're most likely right.

I think Evo 1 was maybe the closest in having enough specific stats on players so you could have more unique combination of abilities.

I think that's something these AFL games struggle with, is the uniqueness of some players. Generally you wouldn't think an Elliott type player would be anywhere close to a better chance of a pack mark over a Cox, but in that case you're most likely right.

I think Evo 1 was maybe the closest in having enough specific stats on players so you could have more unique combination of abilities.

In theory this should be easy to implement though. Like I'd compare it to playing NBA 2k games - if you take a 3 point shot with a centre (who can't shoot) it doesn't matter how open you are, you are gonna miss it unless you somehow absolutely nail the timing and even then I'm not sure how much randomness goes into it.

There are plenty of AFL ruckmen who can't mark, pretty easy to basically code that into the game. People who complain that "you should be in control of the outcome as the player" are missing the point IMO - I'd much rather have to avoid kicking long bombs if Lynch is out injured because the ball will ping back out, than to be able to take big grabs with Samson Ryan because he's tall. Adds depth to the experience.

I still canā€™t workout how bumping is supposed to work, if they could actually manage to get this working itā€™d lead to some pretty big hits with how fast the game now plays.
Yeah I can only bump at the moment the opposition gathers the ballā€¦and then both players just stumble and itā€™s play on as normal.

Just played co-op with a mate and had heaps of fun. It doesnā€™t feel like youā€™re fighting the game anymoreā€¦
Once we learn to get the kicks away earlier so weā€™re not caught dropping it then Iā€™ll finally have some flow with the game.

Streaming off defenders, and handballs that stick, make this game far far better than before.

Yeah agreed. Even with the archetypes in game, most of the players still feel the same and play the same. In games like NBA 2K or EA FC its a lot clearer who the superstars are against say the more middle bunch.

Positioning and momentum I 100% agree with. Height? Not as much. Iā€™d back Jamie Elliott to take a pack mark over Mason Cox 7 days a week. Skill/player rating should also definitely be factored into the result.

True but I guess thats an area that will take more fine tuning for now. It would be cool to see big multi-person collisions in tackles but that could be a long way off being implemented.
If it's a static pack that's what I mean by out marking with height.

Downloaded and installed while MAFS was on

Ironically what I'm about to moan and groan about it's really highlighted in the videos, but I hope they slow the game play down just a bit. It (at times) feels like you're playing in fast forward vhs tape style.

Oh and there was a point in the second video where I was aiming to handball the ball to the player in front of me, but the ball went backward :-/ - I don't think it was user error considering I had the analog pointed in the direction I wanted the ball to travel, but it went the opposite way. Was it the in game wind ? :p

Playing 2nd game now and the rose coloured view has quickly changed. I will stand by that it's much more fun and coherent now, but it's much too easy and the way it's been made 'fun' in some areas is by removing key elements of the game. To explain;

• Tackling - from what I can gather, there's a solid ~1 second period after receiving possession from a hitout where you're immune to getting tackled, and same for the opposition. Which basically ensures clearances and a lack of repeat stoppages, but it also means if you lose the hitout or don't get first possession you can't do anything. Tackling in general needs work, but this is immersion breaking.
  • Ruck - I picked Samson Ryan as my main ruck vs Max Gawn for pre-season round 1 and am absolutely dominating hitouts. Which means dominating clearances, and therefore am up 42-1 on hardest playing my 2nd game. I'm at half time on 10m quarters so I've given it enough time to see if it would swing.
  • Handballing - So it's basically impossible not to hit a teammate. I can just button mash handball and basically get the ball inside 50 every time. AI doesn't have this luxury, they frequently turn it over.
  • AI decision making. I'm playing a zone and they seemingly have no idea what to do. Make terrible decisions, turn it over, and I go and score.
  • AI defence when ball in my possession in general play - so the AI chaser literally is locked onto you. Every movement I make they make at the exact same time. I tried some shake n bake type moves or running backwards when the defender should be guarding forward space, but they just follow you instantly, there's zero lag and can't generate any space. This is very frustrating, takes away a key part of footy.

On the upside;
  • Marking contests are good. The only reason I'm up by 40 and not 100 is I didn't play Lynch, and May/Lever are killing me. I've noticed that if I play on and get more chaotic ball movement and movement from forwards I do much better, but long bombs from stagnant play I have no hope, which is awesome. Gawn also beats Ryan every time which is great - but why not in the hitouts? And a negative here is how many intercept marks I get in general play, seems to always err in my favour - if a 50-50 I win it more often than not even if out of position.
  • The general flow of play is great - but as mentioned it's been achieved by nerfing/OPing gameplay elements.

Not sure why these are the case on 'hardest' difficulty, should be borderline impossible to win on this so for me to be dominating in my 2nd game is puzzling, have never understood why all AFL games are like this. Just nerf the s**t out of my stats for all I care, I want a challenge. If it's too hard can always step down a level.

The new update, it's good!! Game has flow now and continuity, the buttons/functions make sense. AI seems a lot better.
Timing a handball out of a contest is fun when you get a string of players running forward.

It's not perfect but it's way better. Agreed that a training mode would be welcomed, but understand it might not be feasible as they have other games working on.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing 2nd game now and the rose coloured view has quickly changed. I will stand by that it's much more fun and coherent now, but it's much too easy and the way it's been made 'fun' in some areas is by removing key elements of the game. To explain;

• Tackling - from what I can gather, there's a solid ~1 second period after receiving possession from a hitout where you're immune to getting tackled, and same for the opposition. Which basically ensures clearances and a lack of repeat stoppages, but it also means if you lose the hitout or don't get first possession you can't do anything. Tackling in general needs work, but this is immersion breaking.
  • Ruck - I picked Samson Ryan as my main ruck vs Max Gawn for pre-season round 1 and am absolutely dominating hitouts. Which means dominating clearances, and therefore am up 42-1 on hardest playing my 2nd game. I'm at half time on 10m quarters so I've given it enough time to see if it would swing.
  • Handballing - So it's basically impossible not to hit a teammate. I can just button mash handball and basically get the ball inside 50 every time. AI doesn't have this luxury, they frequently turn it over.
  • AI decision making. I'm playing a zone and they seemingly have no idea what to do. Make terrible decisions, turn it over, and I go and score.
  • AI defence when ball in my possession in general play - so the AI chaser literally is locked onto you. Every movement I make they make at the exact same time. I tried some shake n bake type moves or running backwards when the defender should be guarding forward space, but they just follow you instantly, there's zero lag and can't generate any space. This is very frustrating, takes away a key part of footy.

On the upside;
  • Marking contests are good. The only reason I'm up by 40 and not 100 is I didn't play Lynch, and May/Lever are killing me. I've noticed that if I play on and get more chaotic ball movement and movement from forwards I do much better, but long bombs from stagnant play I have no hope, which is awesome. Gawn also beats Ryan every time which is great - but why not in the hitouts? And a negative here is how many intercept marks I get in general play, seems to always err in my favour - if a 50-50 I win it more often than not even if out of position.
  • The general flow of play is great - but as mentioned it's been achieved by nerfing/OPing gameplay elements.

Not sure why these are the case on 'hardest' difficulty, should be borderline impossible to win on this so for me to be dominating in my 2nd game is puzzling, have never understood why all AFL games are like this. Just nerf the s**t out of my stats for all I care, I want a challenge. If it's too hard can always step down a level.

Finished the game - won by 41 in the end so they did fight back, 103-62. From a stats perspective;
  • I had 190 handballs and 130 kicks
  • I won the hitouts stupidly, can't work out why Gawn would ever be beaten by Samson Ryan. Though admittedly they had a young dude in there a lot of the time which seems like a bug (doubt they've got pre season programmed to be different to regular games)
  • Clearances ended up even - after the first 1.5 quarters it evened up and wasn't such an easy game for me out of the middle. Handballs were intercepted and smothered, hitouts went to opposition, etc. Maybe this was the momentum factor at play early in the game?
  • Intercept marks and contested marks were well in my favour. This is what needs nerfing I feel - so many 1 on 1's in defence or midfield where I could just reliably intercept through no skill of my own.
One bug that has come in with the improved kicking to leads is that the AI will often kick out in front of a player even if that means kicking out on the full. Would have been at least 10 Melbourne kicks out on the full trying to hit a lead - I don't mind some of these, but a lot of them were dumb, like wide open players and the kick goes 5 rows back.

Will keep playing games and see how this stuff goes against different opposition. Still will say it's a pretty fun experience now and nowhere near as grindy, though I would have rathered a tighter game than leading by 40 early and holding that lead all game.

Downloaded and installed while MAFS was on

Ironically what I'm about to moan and groan about it's really highlighted in the videos, but I hope they slow the game play down just a bit. It (at times) feels like you're playing in fast forward vhs tape style.

Oh and there was a point in the second video where I was aiming to handball the ball to the player in front of me, but the ball went backward :-/ - I don't think it was user error considering I had the analog pointed in the direction I wanted the ball to travel, but it went the opposite way. Was it the in game wind ? :p

Been mentioned before, but the players really do look like they weigh absolutely nothing, they just speed along like turbo chooks.

Is it just me or is the game choppy now?

I feel like it's running at 30fps when before it was 60fps.

Great improvements though especially hand balling. Plenty more to do but definitely on the right track
The PS4 frame rate is shizen. No issues on PS5 and I have a 3090 so I'll be gutted if it's not @144mhz.

For all it's shortcomings 23 ran great on PS4 last year, it was comparable to any other platform I saw. Hopefully we get back to there without breaking anything.

I do get a chuckle out of the 'this patch changes everything' cycle before the inevitable realisation it's still a wonky product in most facets. The footage being shared here looks awful.

hold up', what are you talking about, the game was just released this week!!

Rockos Modern Life 90S GIF

I do get a chuckle out of the 'this patch changes everything' cycle before the inevitable realisation it's still a wonky product in most facets. The footage being shared here looks awful.
Ah wellā€¦ people are enjoying it, and itā€™s exceeded even the cautiously hopeful expectations posted here since it was announced.

Itā€™s better than it was previously, so weā€™ll take it!

Ah wellā€¦ people are enjoying it, and itā€™s exceeded even the cautiously hopeful expectations posted here since it was announced.

I just don't personally understand how the s**t I am seeing is a $100 product that has been out for a year and is stiÄŗl so wonky...

If it was a $20 indie project I might be able to overlook some of the glaring deficiencies but alas...

Can anyone not play on hardest in season mode? Every time I select hardest it only plays on hard

Youā€™re severely underrating Cox and overrating Elliott here

Watching Twistie play, the AI didnā€™t miss a single shot. Hopefully that gets a little tweaked.
I noticed that, super weird. I played Freo just before and they couldn't hit the side of a barn, I wonder if there's a bit of meta-rng happening where teams can be on or off for an entire game before the centre bounce. Maybe there's a HGA factor or BA have looked at a team's W/L for a given ground? Feels like a stretch but there does seem to be something different here. And obviously not for every team & every game, just something that spits out occasionally. Maybe? Well, something is up.

One other behaviour commented on here I've seen too - a first quarter where you smash the oppo and then they claw back. It feels different to rubber banding because when they pull in front they keep going. We'll probably have a better take on this in a few days.

Two more things that feel relevant to say or rather things Ross has mentioned in the past -

Goal kicking - he's gone on record a few times saying that he always wanted goal kicking to be easy. Can't say I agree with that but for anyone seeing this it's probably by design. I think personally we need a wider spectrum - easy goals stay easy but tricky ones are super hard to pull off. Maybe something devious like faster metre speed and changing the location of the sweet spot each time. Otherwise muscle memory is going to make scoring a bit of a joke longer term. We'll see I guess.

Spuds outmarking good players - Ross has said a couple times that he doesn't want stats being the most important thing. You can definitely see it in the build and I think it's a circular discussion. You want star players to do great things but inexplicably losing a 1v1 over and over is bloody frustrating. The answer is probably the sliders, Evo 2 had this as a weighting and BA needs to do the same. Personally from the Evo days I felt weighting the stats was better in theory than in practice.

Last edited:

Seems with each new patch people praise it, then after a while people pick up on its flaws. I'm not sure why they've gone with weightless super fast players, but then other times they have players not being able to move when they would be moving in real football. I don't think they spent much time at all on this update.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back