AFL & protective head gear?

Remove this Banner Ad

Winners Only

Cancelled
Oct 16, 2003
AFL Club
GWS
After reading the Sam Blease article on the AFL site where concussion ended his career prematurely it got me thinking about WHY dont more AFL players wear protective head wear. I believe its a cultural stigma issue where players dont want to be seen wearing them.

Daniel McKenzie is a classic case in question after how many concussions he had last year was it 4? If I was on the medical team at the Saints I would make it mandatory that he wore head gear to protect him against further knocks.

The NRL is a heavier contact sport than the AFL yet for some reason the AFL have just as many if not more concussions injuries than the NRL. Yet a large number of NRL players wear protective head wear and they are not questioned - why is it such an ego thing for AFL. Jonathon Thurston is the best league player in the world and he has worn head gear for years after a spate of concussion injuries and it hasnt effected his game or ego.

Wearing head gear is compulsory in junior NRL but how many AFL kids do you see wearing protective gear.
The yanks did studies on their players after suffering years of concussion and proved that it lead to large ratio of players suffing depression in years following the careers.

Smarten up Saints & AFL its a work health issue and make it compulsory for players with a history of concussion to wear protective head wear. The stigma and egos seem to inhibit there wearing so make it compulsory for the sake of these kids health and long term futures!

After reading the Sam Blease article on the AFL site where concussion ended his career prematurely it got me thinking about WHY dont more AFL players wear protective head wear. I believe its a cultural stigma issue where players dont want to be seen wearing them.

Daniel McKenzie is a classic case in question after how many concussions he had last year was it 4? If I was on the medical team at the Saints I would make it mandatory that he wore head gear to protect him against further knocks.

The NRL is a heavier contact sport than the AFL yet for some reason the AFL have just as many if not more concussions injuries than the NRL. Yet a large number of NRL players wear protective head wear and they are not questioned - why is it such an ego thing for AFL. Jonathon Thurston is the best league player in the world and he has worn head gear for years after a spate of concussion injuries and it hasnt effected his game or ego.

Wearing head gear is compulsory in junior NRL but how many AFL kids do you see wearing protective gear.
The yanks did studies on their players after suffering years of concussion and proved that it lead to large ratio of players suffing depression in years following the careers.

Smarten up Saints & AFL its a work health issue and make it compulsory for players with a history of concussion to wear protective head wear. The stigma and egos seem to inhibit there wearing so make it compulsory for the sake of these kids health and long term futures!

The doctors say they do little to stop concussion. I reckon they have us covered in this department.

I'm no expert but they use protective head gear in the NFL and even still concussions are rife and are still rising if I'm not mistaken. Not to mention CTE cases are through the roof.
In fact, it could be argued they encourage MORE concussions, not less. The effectiveness of them is highly debated - akin to trying to stop a freight-train with a styrofoam box. But if players THINK they'll be saved a concussion by a helmet, they'll go in even harder, and thus cause more damage.

"Sports Medicine Australia, Australia’s peak national umbrella body for sports medicine and sports science, wants to remind parents that there is no good clinical evidence currently available to show protective equipment will prevent concussion.

Neurosurgeon Professor Gavin Davis says that while helmets, especially soft shell helmets used in AFL, are useful in preventing skull fractures and scalp lacerations, they do not protect against concussion.

“Given that helmets in AFL and NRL do not prevent concussion, I do not advocate their universal use, but accept that the helmet often provides comfort to the child’s parents in thinking they are being proactive in assisting with their child’s well-being,” he said.

He went onto say not only do helmets not protect against concussion; they may lead to an increase in head impact injuries.

“There is potentially some risk-taking behaviour by some of those wearing helmets, where they are more likely to go head first, and expose themselves to increased risk of concussion, or, they may be more likely to be “targeted” by opponents because they wear helmets,” he said."

http://sma.org.au/2013/11/helmets-do-not-prevent-concussion/

In fact, it could be argued they encourage MORE concussions, not less. The effectiveness of them is highly debated - akin to trying to stop a freight-train with a styrofoam box. But if players THINK they'll be saved a concussion by a helmet, they'll go in even harder, and thus cause more damage.
That's exactly what they do. I've seen plenty of players basically using their heads as weapons. It's like they think their indestructible because they've got a helmet on its unbelievable.

"Sports Medicine Australia, Australia’s peak national umbrella body for sports medicine and sports science, wants to remind parents that there is no good clinical evidence currently available to show protective equipment will prevent concussion.

Neurosurgeon Professor Gavin Davis says that while helmets, especially soft shell helmets used in AFL, are useful in preventing skull fractures and scalp lacerations, they do not protect against concussion.

“Given that helmets in AFL and NRL do not prevent concussion, I do not advocate their universal use, but accept that the helmet often provides comfort to the child’s parents in thinking they are being proactive in assisting with their child’s well-being,” he said.

He went onto say not only do helmets not protect against concussion; they may lead to an increase in head impact injuries.

“There is potentially some risk-taking behaviour by some of those wearing helmets, where they are more likely to go head first, and expose themselves to increased risk of concussion, or, they may be more likely to be “targeted” by opponents because they wear helmets,” he said."

http://sma.org.au/2013/11/helmets-do-not-prevent-concussion/
Wow, that neurosurgeon agrees with me - he clearly knows his stuff. :p

I find it almost ridiculous that you have players attempting to sue the AFL or maybe clubs for concussions etc.
Every player has the option to wear a helmet if they choose, to protect the head or reduce any knocks they have.
As a result i'm a strong believer that if you don't wear a helmet during your career you should have no case to sue.
As you had another reasonable course of action to prevent knocks to the head.

As has been said, helmets dont do a thing to stop your brain being bounced around which is what causes the concussion. Theres just no way to have enough padding to make a difference and still be a wearable item.

That's exactly what they do. I've seen plenty of players basically using their heads as weapons. It's like they think their indestructible because they've got a helmet on its unbelievable.
Yep, pretty much the reason why its absolutely rife in the NFL. I remember one video of a player bashing his head against a wall in "celebration" and concussing himself because of it.

As has been said, helmets dont do a thing to stop your brain being bounced around which is what causes the concussion. Theres just no way to have enough padding to make a difference and still be a wearable item.

Yep, pretty much the reason why its absolutely rife in the NFL. I remember one video of a player bashing his head against a wall in "celebration" and concussing himself because of it.

Well No, we can't stop them getting hit in the head, its always going to happen but we can reduce the impact.
Better off wearing one than not wearing one.

Well No, we can't stop them getting hit in the head, its always going to happen but we can reduce the impact.
Better off wearing one than not wearing one.
In terms of concussions there is no difference. It might help prevent things like skull fractures etc. but my understanding is that the brain still feels the full shock of the hit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3cea31fb8a8de76fbf143846f163ff9e

In terms of concussions there is no difference. It might help prevent things like skull fractures etc. but my understanding is that the brain still feels the full shock of the hit.
Yeah i watch a fair bit of NFL. Still a lot of concussions even with them wearing Fonzies helmet.

never said you did:thumbsu:
So thats what i mean.
No you cannot stop concussions or head knocks.
But maybe if everyone wore one in the AFL know it will never happen. Concussions may be reduced from previous years?
As I said better off wearing one than not wearing one, even if you look like a clown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back