Review AFL Round 4 autopsy - Geelong defeats West Coast by 75 points

Remove this Banner Ad

DanA , a lot to like about that post. Id say we are dancing to the same tune Guthrie/Kelly although I think Guthrie addition has so much upside and that in a pure comparison he is a bit more vibrant , so he energizes our midfield , rather Kelly is tough and solid.

The only thing Im not sure about is Hunt. Guthrie showed hoe important it is to be a smart player in that position, Is that the way I think of Hunt? Probably not. Perhaps he can do the role Josh Hunt did it for years and was never what id say a perfect BP. If he shuts down a small forward in a big game then I'll happily admit im wrong

A bit picky I know, but thought Dawson was better than "played well". When the opposition don't score one goal from a stoppage and your hit outs to advantage (which are the ones that really count) were 40% compared to Cox at less than half that you warrant more credit I reckon.

I've thought Dawson was a way off the form he showed before his injury. Last nights match showed he is well on his way back to that form.

His dual with McEvoy will be interesting. He'll certainly test big Dawson's mobility.

Absolutely AM, Simpson was fantastic.
I wouldn't take too much from my post, just a brief analysis I typed after watching the game. I left a fair few out who were also great.

With a competent ruck division and the best captain (who is well on the way to his first Charlie) we are looking bloody good this year. Having plenty of young and hungry players is also holding us in good stead.

With a competent ruck division and the best captain (who is well on the way to his first Charlie) we are looking bloody good this year. Having plenty of young and hungry players is also holding us in good stead.

if we can get Kersten back and upto full health by about round 17-20, he could be a very nice inclusion and would give Bartel and Hawkins a little extra freedom around the goals.

Absolutely AM, Simpson was fantastic.
I wouldn't take too much from my post, just a brief analysis I typed after watching the game. I left a fair few out who were also great.

Think that's one of the really big positives, we had 22 contributors.

Maybe I'm biased but I look at the Hawthorn side at the minute and see Spanger, Langford, Cheney, Duryea, Simpkin and Ceglar playing....you've got to think we've got an edge in depth looking at that. Absolutely they've got some injuries (Hodge, McEvoy, Anderson, Sewell) but you'd think the injury lists are only going to get longer as the season progresses. I think we're as good as anyone this season, certainly in with a chance next week.

if we can get Kersten back and upto full health by about round 17-20, he could be a very nice inclusion and would give Bartel and Hawkins a little extra freedom around the goals.

Does he play?

Seems like Hawkins is the focal point with a resting ruck in support. I'm not sure there is a place for Kersten at the minute though it would be nice to see some Ben Graham style left foot bombs sale through post high from 60m.

Does he play?

Seems like Hawkins is the focal point with a resting ruck in support. I'm not sure there is a place for Kersten at the minute though it would be nice to see some Ben Graham style left foot bombs sale through post high from 60m.

It's going to be interesting, as others have said they seem to be keen on playing 3 rucks and resting them down forward when need be. This is yielding about a goal a game directly. I think Kersten could offer more than someone like Brown or Burbury but that's total speculation.

Yeah but I figure bugger it throw him in at the deep end. Otherwise who takes Mackie's place? Brown down back? Shuffle around and put Cam back too (think he's better suited to tagging Mitchell though)
We probably want to keep our young fellows all in one piece as much as we possibly can this year. No point in hanging them out in front of a team of snipers -it'd be like a red rag to a bull! We need all of our big-bodied players on the ground on Easter Monday, I think. Save Lang, Kolo, Janssen, etc., till the second half of the year and against the younger teams.

Exactly. It's a simple question - who goes out for him right now?

would have to sacrifice someone like Blicavs for Kersten if he was fit imo. Blitz has been good but Kersten would give us another avenue forward of center which would definitely help Hawkins to get more one-on-one duels with his direct opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent win last night. GHS has earnt himself a run of games for sure. Can't see Brown getting back in for next week unless someone goes out with injury, anyone reckon he will come straight back?

West Coast not scoring a goal after qtr time - 2nd best defensive effort at Geelong for mine

Can remember going to a Geel v Nth Melb game in 1980 ( it was ordinary weather - but Geelong kicked plenty of goals) and Nth M elb - with Blight Dempsey Glendenning Schimelbusch- Keith Greig to name a few - didnt score anything in the 2nd half - not even a single lousy point - incredible

As Night follows day...if he stays fit it will be so. My only concern is he has never played much more than 10 games in a season has he? Could he play 20+? After that can he be tip top for us come finals...because if he can ...we can win it. Doesn't me we will but watching Guthrie stream out of the middle last night made me proud of our club. Lose the best player in the league , used to wear 29 for us. What do we do , win the next GF without him, give the jumper to another blonde haired kid and the Hoops just keep on going.

Long term if the 3 rucks are going to work Hmac must become a sharpened forward threat. Right now he kicks at goal with hope. Blitz will be OK , he continues to do stuff that I find astounding in a player with his background. The spin and left foot last night. He is brave enough to make mistakes and I like that.
EFA

The reality was that with Chappy leaving, they had to move Bartel into the forward line (who was playing half-back), which then had the flow on effect of them giving Kelly the role of swingman across half back. So it was a decision born out of necessity, rather than brilliant strategy from the MC.
Could well be true, but they probably had that in
mind when they let Chappy go. I think it is by design

Anyway, it's working beautifully with Kelly humming along down back and jimmy offering something Chappy never could up
forward. Although Chappy has things in his locker that jimmy doesn't we probably need Jimmy's attributes right now.

Could well be true, but they probably had that in
mind when they let Chappy go. I think it is by design

Anyway, it's working beautifully with Kelly humming along down back and jimmy offering something Chappy never could up
forward. Although Chappy has things in his locker that jimmy doesn't we probably need Jimmy's attributes right now.

They did offer Chappy a contract to stay this year, so to suggest it was all one master stroke of planning is misleading. Let's just settle on that it works, and that's all that matters.

Excellent win last night. GHS has earnt himself a run of games for sure. Can't see Brown getting back in for next week unless someone goes out with injury, anyone reckon he will come straight back?

If they want an actual second key forward to support Hawkins he will (presuming he's fit, and I hope like hell he wasn't carrying that ankle against Brisbane and Collingwood). If they're happy with the current setup of Hawkins plus Murdoch, Bartel, Burbury, with McIntosh lingering as well, it'll stay the same.

West Coast not scoring a goal after qtr time - 2nd best defensive effort at Geelong for mine

Can remember going to a Geel v Nth Melb game in 1980 ( it was ordinary weather - but Geelong kicked plenty of goals) and Nth M elb - with Blight Dempsey Glendenning Schimelbusch- Keith Greig to name a few - didnt score anything in the 2nd half - not even a single lousy point - incredible

Great call you've made there GOB:

28th June 1980:
Geelong 13.6.84 def North 4.3.27. North kicked 3.2 in the first quarter, 1.1 in the second, and that was it. Can't imagine there have been too many games with a side going scoreless in an entire half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back