Best 22 in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm certainly not saying he's a spud, but at this stage I see him more of a fringe player than best 22.

Fair enough, I had him in mine, but that was assuming Mohr was still missing, I do think he is very close to in with a full squad, but probably just misses most weeks.

Says a lot when our VC and former No. 1 draft pick Scully doesn't make some of the lists for next year's best 22.

Apparently we're going to look at some more mature players. A bit hard to pick a "best 22" when we don't have a clue who'll be on our list!

That said, here's what I'd like to see in terms of current Giants likely to take another step up in 2015.

Kennedy, Davis, Haynes
Hampton, Shaw, Plowman
Tomlinson, Whitfield, Coniglio
Smith, Cameron, Shiel
Palmer, Boyd, WHE
Mumford, Ward, Treloar

Int: Scully, Greene, Buntine, Kelly

Whiley is very unlucky.

Hampton was very rusty tonight. He needs to get his basics right before the razzle dazzle.

I'm thinking the mature age players will be cheap DFA style players or veterans.
Hunt was great for the 1 year and I'm sure enright would look good in orange

It is interesting to see the complete disappearance of Giles or a genuine second ruck from the best 22. I am expecting the Mumford with Boyd as backup option to continue in 2015.

Plowman has gone past Frost in terms of the third tall back and I expect will continue to do so. Haynes will play the second tall back whilst no Mohr which I assume will be most of the year.

Based on the likely improvement of Stewart and McCarthy, Tomlinson will be challenged to keep his spot as the year goes on I think.

Think the back 6 is where it's at. The miss pick themselves and there seems a reasonable pecking order for the forwards

But the back 6 is where ppl will differ most IMO

For mine it's
Kennedy Davis buntine
Shaw Haynes plowman

I'd rather we didn't pick up a veteran for the one yr deal cos it's now kicking kids out who are starting to hit their straps

Think the back 6 is where it's at. The miss pick themselves and there seems a reasonable pecking order for the forwards

But the back 6 is where ppl will differ most IMO

For mine it's
Kennedy Davis buntine
Shaw Haynes plowman

I'd rather we didn't pick up a veteran for the one yr deal cos it's now kicking kids out who are starting to hit their straps

The way our backline held together yesterday was brilliant. They didn't buckle under pressure, which was great to see.

Heath Shaw was a fantastic pick-up for us last year. I hope we can find someone to replace Josh Hunt.

Our defence got away with it yesterday, and its obvious we need experienced backup. Poor ol Davis doesn't do it for me, he played from behind all day, mostly because his turning circle makes Ben Truck Rutten look twinkle toed, Mohr is good but injured, so if Frosty can't add 10kgs over summer while not losing his speed, we'll have to recruit.
Of the other defenders, rebounders, smalls, flankers, we have oodles of talent to develop. Could KJ be convinced to stay as CHB?

Our defence got away with it yesterday, and its obvious we need experienced backup. Poor ol Davis doesn't do it for me, he played from behind all day, mostly because his turning circle makes Ben Truck Rutten look twinkle toed, Mohr is good but injured, so if Frosty can't add 10kgs over summer while not losing his speed, we'll have to recruit.
Of the other defenders, rebounders, smalls, flankers, we have oodles of talent to develop. Could KJ be convinced to stay as CHB?
i couldnt disagree more. Davis has kept a number of key players quiet during his short career and mobile ones at that. He spent a fair but of time on Hawkins and did a job on Buddy round 1 who is super veratile. Davis will hopefully be a mainstay of that backline. If we recruit another backman we lose these young guys who are just hitting their straps and doing some really good things. They have shown they can match up already...its not like they get bullied under every high ball or are getting run off their feet by fitter players...My point is they can already compete and are only getting better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy, Davis, Buntine
Shaw, Haynes, Hampton
Whitfield, Ward, Scully
WHE, Cameron, Kelly
Palmer, Boyd, Smith

Mumford, Shiel,Treloar

INT: Coniglio, Greene, Plowman, Tomlinson

The midfield is incredibly congested, found it hard to fit everybody in there, so Kelly pushed into the Forward line

Kennedy, Davis, Buntine
Shaw, Haynes, Hampton
Whitfield, Ward, Scully
WHE, Cameron, Kelly
Palmer, Boyd, Smith

Mumford, Shiel,Treloar

INT: Coniglio, Greene, Plowman, Tomlinson

The midfield is incredibly congested, found it hard to fit everybody in there, so Kelly pushed into the Forward line

Obviously the pre season is a big factor but I'm finding it hard to disagree with this

The one who has been left out of all sides is Bugg, yet he has been very important this season.
Good point. Has proven himself a very capable tagger. Still uses the ball poorly IMO but he (much like Palmer I guess) is there to fill a role and he does that most weeks

Fb: shaw Davis Haynes
Hb: plowman frost Hampton
C: Kelly ward Whitfield
Hf: smith cameron Tomlinson
Ff: Palmer Boyd WHE
R: Mumford Treloar coniglio
Ic: Greene kennedy shiel petraca

I don't see scully in your best 22 next season. Mohr is a loss. When is he due back? Could use a lock down small defender as well.

I'd play Tomlinson forward as a mobile, lead up guy. Great talent.

Fb: shaw Davis Haynes
Hb: plowman frost Hampton
C: Kelly ward Whitfield
Hf: smith cameron Tomlinson
Ff: Palmer Boyd WHE
R: Mumford Treloar coniglio
Ic: Greene kennedy shiel petraca

I don't see scully in your best 22 next season. Mohr is a loss. When is he due back? Could use a lock down small defender as well.

I'd play Tomlinson forward as a mobile, lead up guy. Great talent.

Mohr did his acl in july so if his lucky will get back late 2015.

preseason plays a huge factor here. I think there will be hot competition for spots but thats a good thing. Im not convinced by ppl saying we need to attract a big name or a free agent. Id prefer that money was invested in retainin the gun talent we have. in a year or two that big name will push out other young talent if we arent careful. Back what we have i reckon...its more than good enough

preseason plays a huge factor here. I think there will be hot competition for spots but thats a good thing. Im not convinced by ppl saying we need to attract a big name or a free agent. Id prefer that money was invested in retainin the gun talent we have. in a year or two that big name will push out other young talent if we arent careful. Back what we have i reckon...its more than good enough

This.

If we want to hire some veteran to go around one last time, who we dont rely on to play 22 games but to provide stability and an experienced on-field voice in the NEAFL, thats one thing.

But spending money on big names ? No thank you, lets just win another 5 games over what we did this year with our existing list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back