Best 22 in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

The one who has been left out of all sides is Bugg, yet he has been very important this season.
I knew there must have been somebody I was forgetting - Bugg goes straight into my 22, I just was looking at other peoples lists.

Bugg was sensational this year as a tagger and will stay on...I'd probably take Plowman out for him

It's a side that should be better in 2015 than in 2014.

And we still have at least one high draft pick to add - my feeling is we'll end up with two, but one of them could involve a "core" midfielder being stunned by a large bag of cash and dragged off.

but one of them could involve a "core" midfielder being stunned by a large bag of cash and dragged off.
Please let it be Scully, please let it be Scully, oh damn, he already has large bags of cash

Please let it be Scully, please let it be Scully, oh damn, he already has large bags of cash

Scully's value is when he runs and runs and runs and closes off otherwise-cheap options for the other side.

His contract also had the utter s**t frontloaded out of it, and he isnt being paid overly much right now.

Scully's value is when he runs and runs and runs and closes off otherwise-cheap options for the other side.

His contract also had the utter s**t frontloaded out of it, and he isnt being paid overly much right now.
There's no way he outperformed his actual yearly salaries in the first half of his contract because there's maybe two players in the league who would play to that level. But as you said with front-loading, I can see him being a relative bargain based on performance against actual salary paid when we're climbing towards and into the finals.

Scully was overpaid but it wasn't often that you'd put another member in the squad in ahead of him.

I'd still (at this stage) put him in the best 22. I think that he will need to continue to improve otherwise the 4th year mids will go past him. I'd argue Treloar has already.

Scully was overpaid but it wasn't often that you'd put another member in the squad in ahead of him.

I'd still (at this stage) put him in the best 22. I think that he will need to continue to improve otherwise the 4th year mids will go past him. I'd argue Treloar has already.
I agree with you - while guys like Treloar have passed him, he's still in our Best 22.

When you look at the damage he did against Brisbane just by running and running and running, he's the kind of player who is going to give us a bit of pace to give a bit of variety from our great contested ball winners in Ward, Treloar and Greene. He's still got an elite tank and compliments younger guys like Whitfield and Kelly (who still have a lot of development left).

We all know that he was overpaid, but the club loves the guy because he trains his butt off and does absolutely everything that is asked of him.

because he trains his butt off and does absolutely everything that is asked of him.

So he's useful. This conversation started with Ian W implying a core midfielder will be tempted with cash. Carlton in for Shiel? Geelong in for Smith? Who knows. Maybe IanW does. I wouldn't want to lose any of them, but Scully I could live with better than the younger ones.
For the record, my 'core' midfield group, in descending order of essential contract renewal, would go numbers 17, 6, 22, 8, 3, 4, 10, 5 and then maybe no.9

So he's useful. This conversation started with Ian W implying a core midfielder will be tempted with cash. Carlton in for Shiel? Geelong in for Smith? Who knows. Maybe IanW does. I wouldn't want to lose any of them, but Scully I could live with better than the younger ones.
For the record, my 'core' midfield group, in descending order of essential contract renewal, would go numbers 17, 6, 22, 8, 3, 4, 10, 5 and then maybe no.9
I agree with you about Scully being down the pecking order in terms of essential renewals, but unfortunately I couldn't see the big money being thrown at him as opposed to others.

While I firmly believe Scully is Best 22, I wouldn't be shattered to see the back of him - and I can't say the same for guys towards the back of your list like Smith, Greene, Shiel and Cogs

I am the leader of the Scully cheer squad, he will benefit from those around him improving and is best 22 on any list in the league IMO and I would have only Ward and Treloar ahead of him.

Sculls is really good at one thing and average at everything else in terms of on field attributes/skills. His run both ways is elite and will come into its own in the next few seasons in an elite midfield. The upside is he can only get better at reading the play and even some other footy skills. Ben Cousins was much the same, albeit maybe one season ahead in his development? One thing that lifted Cousins early was an incredible self belief - some called it arrogance. I reckon players like Sculls and J Watts lack the same conviction that they not only belong at AFL, but are better than the guys their up against.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scully is still only 23 so time is on his side but of the 6 key experienced guys we have brought in - Ward, Mumford, Shaw, Davis, Palmer & Scully, he has been the least impressive. But he will start next season with 86 games under his belt and if his ever going to take his game to another level 2015 should be the year.

B: Heath Shaw, Phil Davis, Lachie Plowman
HB: Curtly Hampton, Nick Haynes, Adam Kennedy

M: Tom Scully, Stephen Coniglio, Dylan Shiel

HF: Josh Kelly, Jereomy Cameron, Adam Tomlinson
F: Devon Smith, Tom Boyd, Will Hoskin-Elliot

R: Shane Mumford, Callan Ward, Adam Treloar

Int: Matt Buntine, Lachie Whitfield, Toby Greene
Sub: Rhys Palmer

Really looking forward to how GWS perform this season at their Canberra home. Interesting that there doesn't seem to be much love for McCarthy?

So he's useful. This conversation started with Ian W implying a core midfielder will be tempted with cash.

The truly weird thing is that two were, and neither were at GWS.

Beams and Dangerfiekld were the ones recruiters waved the cash in front of, not Shiel and Coniglio.

B: Heath Shaw, Phil Davis, Lachie Plowman
HB: Curtly Hampton, Nick Haynes, Adam Kennedy

M: Tom Scully, Stephen Coniglio, Dylan Shiel

HF: Josh Kelly, Jereomy Cameron, Adam Tomlinson
F: Devon Smith, Tom Boyd, Will Hoskin-Elliot

R: Shane Mumford, Callan Ward, Adam Treloar

Int: Matt Buntine, Lachie Whitfield, Toby Greene
Sub: Rhys Palmer

You've named 8 players who will be at other clubs next year;) but other than that - pretty good effort.

?
What do you know that football world is about to find out????

Well Davis is going back to Adelaide; Cameron is also going to Adelaide or the Dogs; Sheil to Melbourne or Carlton; Tomlinson to somewhere/anywhere; same with Buntine; Boyd to Carlton or sitting out the year; WHE wants out; Cogs back to WA. There's 8 for you. There's probably more, but our best 22 next year will have about five guys in it after they all walk out.

Well Davis is going back to Adelaide; Cameron is also going to Adelaide or the Dogs; Sheil to Melbourne or Carlton; Tomlinson to somewhere/anywhere; same with Buntine; Boyd to Carlton or sitting out the year; WHE wants out; Cogs back to WA. There's 8 for you. There's probably more, but our best 22 next year will have about five guys in it after they all walk out.

Ah, see, I wasn't anticipating satire :p

Here's mine with their AFL ratings alongside. Notes: I assume Mohr comes back.
I moved Ward out of the ruck into his stopper position.
It was a waste of his ability to read a game.
It was also a waste of Toby Greene who isn't fast enough to play anywhere else but his natural position.
Left footers Kelly and Whitfield are on those wings where they belong.
The top rated seniors are all on the field.
Rookies ratings aren't complete yet so Kelly and Boyd are included despite bad ratings.
I think if you allow for injuries (Davis was 287 last year) the ratings are pretty accurate on senior players.
I have a theory that an AFL starter-calibre player has a rating under 300.
So our strengths would be the ruck, and the rest of the middle of the field from HB to HF.
An elite defender and goalkicker are the priorities this draft/free agency.

B:Nick Haynes (414),Phil Davis (383),Tim Mohr (303)

HB: Heath Shaw (99), Callan Ward (22), Curtly Hampton (333),

M: Tom Scully (153), Dylan Shiel (122) , Josh Kelly (436),

HF: Stephen Coniglio(265), Jeremy Cameron(182), Lachie Whitfield (262)

F: Devon Smith(86), Tom Boyd (581), Will Hoskin-Elliot (312)

R: Shane Mumford (94), Toby Greene (219), Adam Treloar (61)

Int: Adam Kennedy (331), Adam Tomlinson (362) Rhys Palmer (303)
Sub: Tomas Bugg (400),

GONE: Hunt, Gilham, Frost, Jaksch, O'Rourke, Giles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back