Prediction Best 22 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Richo is a big fan of Ross and I think he will play most games in 2016. And Sinclair looked like he belonged last year, so needs more games. Obviously injuries will allow everyone a run. Carlisle, Goddard, Fisher, Dempster, Longer, Hickey, Riewoldt, Bruce, Membrey is probably a bit too tall

Round 1 2016
FB: Dempster, Goddard, Geary
HB: Roberton, Fisher, Webster
C: Newnes, Armitage, Montagna
HF: Billings, Roo, Weller
FF: Lonie, Bruce, Hickey
R: Longer, Dunstan, Steven
I: Gilbert, Savage, Sinclair, Ross
Emg: Membrey, Acres, Freeman
Close: McCartin, McKenzie, Gresham
Suspended: Carlisle

The main position up for grabs IMO is the third tall forward position. If it's not Hickey, then Bruce becomes 2nd ruck... Which we do not want.

Acres, Freeman, McKenzie, Gresham will get games, possibly from the beginning, but I have Sinclair and Ross just in front of that pack.

I almost think Fisher should be used as a back up, even though I think he'll still have an impact for the the first 10-15 games. But we really need to have a good look at Carlisle and Goddard in the key posts. Fisher as the third tall, just pushes Dempster to 4th, and the chain gets pushed down. Which arguably could lead to a Webster/Savage playing 2nds.

Gilbert and Geary are best 22 every game.

Round 1 2016
FB: Dempster, Goddard, Geary
HB: Roberton, Fisher, Webster
C: Newnes, Armitage, Montagna
HF: Billings, Roo, Weller
FF: Lonie, Bruce, Hickey
R: Longer, Dunstan, Steven
I: Gilbert, Savage, Sinclair, Ross
Emg: Membrey, Acres, Freeman
Close: McCartin, McKenzie, Gresham
Suspended: Carlisle

The main position up for grabs IMO is the third tall forward position. If it's not Hickey, then Bruce becomes 2nd ruck... Which we do not want.

Acres, Freeman, McKenzie, Gresham will get games, possibly from the beginning, but I have Sinclair and Ross just in front of that pack.

I almost think Fisher should be used as a back up, even though I think he'll still have an impact for the the first 10-15 games. But we really need to have a good look at Carlisle and Goddard in the key posts. Fisher as the third tall, just pushes Dempster to 4th, and the chain gets pushed down. Which arguably could lead to a Webster/Savage playing 2nds.

Gilbert and Geary are best 22 every game.

Nailed it

This is essentially something that really frustrates me about our club. The Dogs and Pies do it perfectly. Put some bloody kids into the centre clearances!!! We seemed to only do it when we were very much in front at 3qtr time and could do it (not very often, Essendon comes to mind) but in Pies games you see kids like De Goey getting a go and having 10 tackle games or Honeychurch for the Dogs. It wouldnt hurt to send Minchi in around the contest 2 times a quarter to show what he has got!
I totally agree! I remember (in one of the done and dusted games) Sinclair taking it out of a center clearance and booting a goal from 50. Stick the boy in there when the game counts and see what happens! Worst case scenario is a loss and some young kids getting important experience in the middle

Take Carlisle out of your 2016 considerations.
Yep, actually makes things a bit easier in terms of the consensus 22. :confused: No more debating about how to fit Gilbert and Sinclair in.

The updated consensus 22.

FB Geary ~ Goddard ~ Dempster
HB Savage ~ Fisher ~ Roberton
RK Longer ~ Armitage ~ Steven
C Montagna ~ Dunstan ~Newnes
HF Billings ~ Riewoldt ~ Membrey
FF Lonie ~ Bruce ~Weller

INT Sinclair, Webster, Gilbert, Hickey

Hopefully Coughlan can have a big pre-season and push his claims in the NAB now also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be interesting to see how we use it, will we give them all an opportunity in the Preseason then upgrade the best one, do we go like for like and upgrade one of the KPPs, Payne or Coughlan, or does someone go up entirely based on the clubs thoughts or previous form, whether it's Holmes to add ruck depth, O'Kearney because he's this years Sinclair/Templeton or Saunders gets a reprieve?

And it would be utterly astonishing if we had somebody like NOK push for a best 22 spot, when we already can barely fit in Ross, Gresham, Acres, McKenzie, McCartin, etc, etc.

AFL have stated we can upgrade a rookie for Carlisle.
I would think it should even be permissible to bring in an extra player from outside, if it is for Essendon to do so. They cannot rightfully allow Essendon any concessions they don't allow to other teams under the same circumstances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back