Best neutral game you've been to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't been to too many, but this game was an absolute beauty with the Bulldogs nearly snatching it with a big run on late in the last quarter after Collingwood looked the better side all night. Entertaining, fast match between two very strong sides with plenty of memorable goals. I also remember Brian Lake having an absolute field day playing on Jack Anthony.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=4271

The Essendon Vs North clash in 1999, easily. It was 1st vs 2nd, both teams at the top of their game and the stars from both teams were playing sublime football. The 1/4 time score of 8.1(49) to 7.2(44) was incredible, seeing as there are games played today where the full-time scoreline has less goals kicked.

There was no comeback in this one, it was back and forth until the end. The Bombers finished off slightly better and won with a scoreline of 24 goals to 20. Carey had kicked 10 in a losing team, Lloyd 7 for the Bombers. I wish we could see footy like that again, brilliant skills, attacking football and highlights non-stop.

Probably the best game of footy ever, Carey left foot snap from the boundary and Lloyd left foot soccer off the ground for goal of the year, the game had everything you could want .

A few from memory
Carlton v Essendon 1993 QF Blues by 2 points
Essendon v Adelaide 1993 Prelim
Geelong v Footscray 1994 QF Billies goal after the siren
North v Hawthorn 1994 QF game went into extra time
Geelong v North 1994 Prelim Ablett goal after the siren
Carlton v Richmond 1995 Rd 14
Richmond v Essendon 1995 SF
Adelaide v StKilda 1997 Grand Final
Sydney vs West Coast 2005 Grand Final
West Coast v Sydney 2006 Grand Final
Geelong v StKilda 2009 Grand Final

Round 16 2001: North Melbourne vs Essendon at the MCG. That was the first ever game I went to as a neutral.

Trailing by 69 points at one stage and Essendon were able came back and ended up winning in what was the greatest comeback of all-time. It was a shot out. A total of 52 goals were scored that day.

That game was insane. A co-worker who is a Bombers fan loaned me that video to watch and wow that game was amazing.

The Rich/Carl final last year was awesome just for the crowd, the actual game was pretty rubbish.

I was at the Rich/Ess semi-final in '95 as well, first time Richmond had won a final since 1982 and Matty Knights kicked a couple of goals streaming forward after a few bounces. Crowd was awesome that day also.

Another game I went to was in 1990 or 1991 Collingwood v St. Kilda at the G - was sitting at the top of the Ponsford in front of the old scoreboard and Collingwood won by a point.

Essendon v Geelong midway through the season. Geelong were undefeated until that match.
One of three Essendon games (in Vic) I have missed in the past 5 years. Decided to go out for my 18th instead of watching us get thumped by 100 points.

Checked scores all night, ended up sitting in the corner of the nightclub listening to the end of the game on radio. Still shattered that I missed it.

Still shake my head at how Geelong won on Easter Monday 2012 which was a good as it got, closely followed by the 2011 GF which was tight for 3 quarters with plenty of highlights (still remember Cloke kicking a couple from the toilet at Fed Square).

Sadly I've watched any number of stinkers, a pair of Melbourne games last year (against Port at home and Freo in Perth) amongst the biggest waste of 3 hours I've ever spent. The last couple of local GF's up here have also been dreadful affairs (2012 was only memorable for a streaker, 2013 only got interesting with a fight 3 minutes from the end).

Port's win v Saints 2004 PF, AAMI. Got lucky i was in Adel at the time and got invited to the game via a spare ticket...phenomenal high standard game...Port fans around me were absolutely shitting bricks early on. They were heads in hands "no, not again" and i remember making sure i kept my mouth shut coz it definitely wasnt the time or place for any wise cracks....Roger James was just holding them in the game coz they were nearly blown away early. Some terrific moments during the game...a classic, and just pure arse i was there which kind of made it special. HUUUUUGE pissup after the game with guys i didnt even know...just a great day (the parts i remember)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One i remember most is Bulldogs v Collingwood elimination final 2006.

I went with my sister who supports the Dogs knowing that they were underdogs and hadn't played finals for years.

Collingwood supporters were going home at 3qtr time, and there was that feeling of a club that had come to life again after being down for so long.

Since I count Sydney and GWS as clubs I like (just not as much as WCE), the 2008 GF is the only real neutral game I have ever been to (and a memorable one at that).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back