Best singing voices ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Waits and Shane MacGowan have great voices, I like the whiskey and cigarettes tone. There's an aching to Gram Parson's voice that's irresistible and his duets with Emmylou Harris are beautiful, Sinatra deserves an honourable mention too.

Howlin' Wolf and Mark Lanegan are some more whiskey and cigarettes candidates.

Thread needs more Etta James, Nina Simone, Janis Joplin, Al Green and Hank Williams.

Howlin' Wolf and Mark Lanegan are some more whiskey and cigarettes candidates.

Thread needs more Etta James, Nina Simone, Janis Joplin, Al Green and Hank Williams.

You beat me to the punch.

Blokes:

Sam Cooke - the sweeeeetest voice of ALL time
The Reverand Al Green
Lee Moses
Paul Robeson
Otis Redding
Hank Williams good ol' lovesick blues
Jackie Wilson

Gals:

Bettye LaVette - my queen of soul
Etta James - could sing anything
Candi Staton
Esther Phillips
Mother Maybelle Carter
Aretha
Chrissie Amphlett

Love Chris VCornell's voice, however he owes everything to Ronnie James Dio

Roy Orbison.

/thread
Not my favourite singer, but he does have some belters to sing along to. But he was my first thought when i saw the thread. In terms of western contemporary mainstream popular music which is mainly what we get exposed to I reckon he is number one followed by Freddie Mercury.

If you wanna look into classical music having some beers and/or some md and listening to some pavarotti can be pretty uplifting, though you tend to get over it after about 15 minutes. Not really my scene but man he has some serious voice on him.

John Fogerty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not me :(

i'm fairly insanely jealous of those who can sing.. I'm a good musician and solid on a number of instruments, but my voice is very limited... annoys me very much...

Yep, me too. I'm good on the piano but voice, though I can hold a tune, unfortunately doesn't match.

prefer distinctive voices to those that might be technically great.

neil young, tracey chapman, elliot smith and alex turner spring to mind as distinctive voices i enjoy.

Last edited:
prefer distinctive voices to those that might be technically great.

neil young, tracey chapman, elliot smith and alex turner spring to mind as distinctive voices i enjoy.

That's the reason that I love Kevin Rowland from Dexy's Midnight Runners. Never afraid to tackle a soul belter despite his obvious restrictions

Last edited:
Yes I agree...and here is one of his finest vocal moments:

Probably my fav BAch song is this, shows his range quite well and is an all and all ripper song.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back