Oct 18, 2001
South of the River
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FREMANTLE
Vera vs Jones.

Who is going to win?

I'd like to see Vera get the points but I haven't seen too much of Jones to say who is going to be victorious.

Your thoughts?

p.s. Great to see it's on free-to-air again!

Despite Vera's saying he will submit Jones, I think he will get taken down and pummelled to a stoppage.

Man I was it was still Vera vs Nog :(

Guida Vs Sherk was looking awesome as well :(

Despite the Loss against Couture, Vera looked awesome against Patt and Soszynski. I'm thinking Vera 4tw.

Light Heavyweight bout: Brandon Vera vs Jon Jones - tough to call, Vera's technically the better striker, has a good chin and Randy couldn't really get him down, Jones easily threw Hamill around though and I'm leaning towards a Bones decision win
Heavyweight bout: Junior dos Santos vs Gabriel Gonzaga - pumped for this fight, Gonzaga's always a tough opponent but it's hard to go against dos Santos at this point
Heavyweight bout: Cheick Kongo vs Paul Buentello - tough ask for Buentello, and he'll probably need to win to keep his spot in the UFC but I can't see him outstriking Kongo
Middleweight bout: Alessio Sakara vs James Irvin - Irvin by KO unless the cut to 185 takes too much out of him, otherwise he hits harder and has a better chin

Prelims
Lightweight bout: Clay Guida vs Shannon Gugerty - Guida by sub
Light Heavyweight bout: Elliot Marshall vs Vladimir Matyushenko - Janitor by TKO
Welterweight bout: John Howard vs Daniel Roberts - Howard by TKO
Heavyweight bout: Brendan Schaub vs Chase Gormley - Schaub by sub
Welterweight bout: Mike Pierce vs Julio Paulino - Pierce by decision
Light Heavyweight bout: Eric Schafer vs Jason Brilz - Schafer by decision

Pretty decent card and it's free! I'm really excited for the main event. I agree with Ross, it's very tough to call. Vera looks much better since moving down to 205 and you'd think his gameplan is to keep circling and pick apart Jones with his accurate striking. However, I think Jones is going to be too active and explosive for Vera. Jones is such an unpredictable fighter and I think he'll finish Vera with a TKO somehow.

Big fan of Junior Dos Santos. KO in the first or second round. I think he's right up there with Carwin and Velasquez at the moment (I put them just beneath Mir and Brock) and if he finishes Gonzaga, it'll cement his spot as a genuine heavyweight contender.

Kongo vs Buentello should be entertaining.

It'll be good to see how much Schaub has improved since TUF.

Mike Pierce is a really good fighter and he was very close against Fitch. I think he'll be a lot hungrier this time and we should expect improvement from him.

Brandon Vera vs Jon Jones - Tough fight to pick. Vera's easily Jonny's biggest step up so far, but he's looked so impressive in dismantling his opponents that it's hard to pick against him. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see a Vera decision, but I see Jones winning this one, I guess on a decision.

Junior dos Santos vs Gabriel Gonzaga - Like both of these guys and am pumped for this fight. Junior's been super impressive, but hasn't fought a good ground guy yet. Gonzaga's a very impressive grappler and I see him taking him down and subbing him in an upset.

Cheick Kongo vs Paul Buentello - Kongo should take this one via GNP in the second I'm thinking. Hopefully it's not a loser leaves town type match as both have plenty still to offer at HW.

Alessio Sakara vs James Irvin - Not confident with this one, but Irvin's been on the shelf since his dismantling against Anderson and ring rust may well play a part. I think Sakara should be able to box his way to a decision/late TKO.

Clay Guida vs Shannon Gugerty - Carpenter via decision seems a pretty safe bet I'm thinking.

Elliot Marshall vs Vladimir Matyushenko - I've got Marshall by decision. I think he'll be dangerous enough off his back to keep Matyushenko guessing and will win the exchanges on the feet.

John Howard vs Daniel Roberts - Not seen any of Roberts, so this is purely guess work. Howard's looked decent so far and I think they'll try to set up the Rumble fight again, so I can't see him being matched too hard in this one.

Brendan Schaub vs Chase Gormley - Schaub looked pretty well rounded on TUF and Gormley didn't look too good against Struve his last time out. Chase will likely look to take it to the ground where I think he'll get caught by something. Schaub by sub in the second.

Mike Pierce vs Julio Paulino - Like Roberts, I haven't seen any of Paulino either so can only guess here, but he has some recogniseable name wins on his record. Pierce gave Fitch a hell of a tough fight though, so I'd expect he'll get the decision here.

Eric Schafer vs Jason Brilz - Both are good grapplers, I just think Brilz will be too strong for Red in this one and control him en route to a decision win.

When is it on one HD, am I correct in saying 9:00pm o the 22/3?

Serious? Pretty sure it's live on Fuel.

EDIT: Found the link.

The UFC recently announced that "UFC on Versus 1: Vera vs. Jones" will air on a host of countries outside of the U.S., including Australia, Brazil, Canada, Mexico and the U.K.

A complete list of the networks in the UFC's release is included below. Fans are advised to check their local listings to determine the official start time of the event in their viewing area as not all outlets are guaranteeing a live feed.

* Australia - FUEL TV

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18234/ufc-announced-international-broadcast-plans-for-ufc-on-versus-1-vera-vs-jones.mma

Definitely on One next Monday (ie 22nd) at 9pm, at least according to their TV guide and ads.

Should also make better viewing than Fuel as I imagine it would be in HD.

Really looking forward to seeing Bones and JDS record impressive wins.

Yeah, likka and Crimson are right, 9pm next Monday. The first Primetime episode of GSP vs Hardy debuts straight after. Getting HD coverage is a pretty good tradeoff but I'm pretty disappointed that it isn't airing live. I'd have been at work but I still would have been able to start watching my recording at about 5:30pm instead of 9pm. It's not like ONE delays their coverage of the NFL, NBA, MLB, NASCAR or any other sports that air during the day.

If it was on a Sunday arvo I think it would have been live, but after the success of 110 I think it is simply a case of trying to maximize ratings.

Awesome news that it's on ONE HD as well. I can't resist watching it live if I've got foxtel though (provided I'm not working). Good to hear the countdown shows are coming to ONE. I downloaded the first one from the ufc website. They're always entertaining to watch. I love seeing GSP train and just being the coolest man alive in everything he does.

Light Heavyweight bout: Brandon Vera vs Jon Jones - As I said, Jones wrestling could be the difference here. I think possibly a late 2nd or 3rd round stoppage or maybe a decision. This could really show where Jones is at.
Heavyweight bout: Junior dos Santos vs Gabriel Gonzaga - I'm excited for this like everyone else seems to be. Gonzaga should have a big advantage on the mat, despite dos Santos' training with Big Nog, but I'm thinking he's getting KOd. He tends to fold under the big shots and we know dos Santos can deliver those. KO early 2nd.
Heavyweight bout: Cheick Kongo vs Paul Buentello - Kongo to out point Buentello to a decision. I hope Buentello turns it into a brawl or it could get boring.
Middleweight bout: Alessio Sakara vs James Irvin - Interesting that Irvin hasn't fought since the Anderson debacle. He should win this. He's a very decent, explosive fighter and Sakara hasn't faired too well against the big strikers.

Prelims
Lightweight bout: Clay Guida vs Shannon Gugerty - Big step down for Guida and he should win handily.
Light Heavyweight bout: Elliot Marshall vs Vladimir Matyushenko - I like Marshall as a fighter, but I think Matyushenko will get through on experience and superior wrestling.
Welterweight bout: John Howard vs Daniel Roberts - Roberts looks like a submission guy but I think he'll get knocked out in the 3rd.
Heavyweight bout: Brendan Schaub vs Chase Gormley - I'm glad they're starting Schaub light. He should KO Gormley.
Welterweight bout: Mike Pierce vs Julio Paulino - I don't know Paulino but I think Pierce will do to him what he nearly did to Fitch at the end of their fight.
Light Heavyweight bout: Eric Schafer vs Jason Brilz - Schafer will find a way to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones, Vera has an issue with lossing fights in his head before he gets into the ring. He destroys people when he knows he's better and turns into a kitten when the job looks a bit tough. Someone like Jones is just the type to pshyc him out.

gabe gonzaga could embarass jds if he doesnt **** around with the stand up and takes him straight down, imo his ground game is vastly superior

They've been on One for ages, generally airing after Wired on Thursday nights before a PPV.

Oh wait, I had the Countdown shows confused with UFC Primetime. Countdown shows are always on Fox Sports and Fuel in the days leading up to the main events.

I downloaded the first episode of Primetime GSP vs Hardy from the UFC website. Those are the shows where you see GSP being cool.

gabe gonzaga could embarass jds if he doesnt **** around with the stand up and takes him straight down, imo his ground game is vastly superior

With the guys he trains with, I have a feeling JDS can handle himself on the ground. I'm hoping to see it anyway, as questions will definitely be answered if it does hit the ground.

Looks like it's only on ONE HD and not Fuel. That means I'm f*cked because I'm working Monday night and can't record it. Hopefully Foxtel and Ten get their act together and bring ONE to foxtel satellite subscribers soon. Cable gets ONE in standard definition but satellite viewers can't. Not sure why that is.

Watch the TV guide, ONE will replay it again before the week is out.

Great reason to get yourself a DVR.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back