Brandon 'The Truth' Vera vs Jon 'Bones' Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Short fights means faster downloads!

Jones needs to fight a top guy asap. Maybe loser of Rampage / Rashad or Forrest / Lil Nog. This guy's the real deal. I'd put him up there with Mousasi as the most exciting prospect in mma. And he's only 22!

Junior Dos Santos put another guy to sleep in the 1st round. I think it solidifies his spot as a contender. Let him fight Velasquez and the winner gets a title shot after Mir/Carwin gets their shot.

so tonight's screening is 150 mins, but the replay on Thursday is only 90 mins? Odd! (or am I missing something here?)
Well with all the crap in between fights you can easily cut out an hour and not miss a second of the action.

Well that was a tad anti climactic. What looked like a great card on paper ended up in basically mismatches.

JDS was a class above Gonzaga and Jones destroyed Vera, and possibly his eye socket in the process (like a Greek wedding plate). His ground elbows from the top are just brutal, his arms are so bloody long they almost have the range of a punch.

Who is next for Bones? Winner of Rampage vs Evans? Thiago Silva? Lil Nog possibly. I sincerely hope it is not Run Forrest Run. Ryan Bader another possibility.

Anderson Silva stepped up to LHW to embarrass Run Forrest Run... how friggen good would that match up be within the next 12-18 months.

I agree, Spida v Bones would be nuts. Two daddy long legs at battle...Awesome! Both dynamic strikers with a shiite load of creativity. Silva by submission.

Seriously though, Thiago v Jones would be a mismatch. Jones too creative for Silva.

Was really hoping for a Vera win. Very disappointed. :(

What happened to these fights Channel Ten?????:thumbsdown:

Lightweight : Clay Guida:thumbsu: vs Shannon Gugerty
Light Heavyweight : Elliot Marshall vs Vladimir Matyushenko:thumbsu:
Light Heavyweight : Duane Ludwig vs Darren Elkins:thumbsu:
Heavyweight : Brendan Schaub:thumbsu: vs Chase Gormley
Welterweight : Mike Pierce:thumbsu: vs Julio Paulino
Light Heavyweight : Eric Schafer vs Jason Brilz:thumbsu:

Was really hoping for a Vera win. Very disappointed. :(

What happened to these fights Channel Ten?????:thumbsdown:

Lightweight : Clay Guida:thumbsu: vs Shannon Gugerty
Light Heavyweight : Elliot Marshall vs Vladimir Matyushenko:thumbsu:
Light Heavyweight : Duane Ludwig vs Darren Elkins:thumbsu:
Heavyweight : Brendan Schaub:thumbsu: vs Chase Gormley
Welterweight : Mike Pierce:thumbsu: vs Julio Paulino
Light Heavyweight : Eric Schafer vs Jason Brilz:thumbsu:

None of those were broadcast into the US, so not sure what you we're expecting...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was expecting to see more fights than the ones they showed.

I thought Guida would have been worth being part of the telecast.

And strangely enough I'm not in the US, but thanks for telling me.:rolleyes:

How exiting is the HW division and the potential future match ups - Lesnar, Mir, Carwin, Velasquez and Dos Santos.
The UFC just gets better and better.
and better...

And strangely enough I'm not in the US, but thanks for telling me.:rolleyes:
He mentioned it because ONE takes the broadcast feed from the US. Whatever airs there will air here.

And yeah, fights were a bit anti-climatic, JDS, Bones and Doomsday had highlight finishes but none of the fights were competitive. If it's Lesnar vs Mir/Carwin in July hopefully the co-main is Cain vs dos Santos for the top contender.

Jones isn't nearly ready for Anderson yet, but certainly it's possible in a year, wouldn't mind seeing him against Thiago next, I'm reluctant to ever count out Couture or even Forrest but both would be far too slow against Jones. Unfortunately he's training with Jackson so fights against Evans and Jardine are out.

As Mags alluded to, most frustrating part of the fights were the hold-ups for the "illegal" strikes. Upkicks and downward elbows being illegal are the stupidest of the two, and no knees on the ground at the very least needs to be modified to stop instances like Buentello putting his hand down to try and draw another point deduction. I think many in the UFC agree (including Dana) but they don't want to push a change to the commissions while they're still banned in places like New York and Ontario.

Yeah Ross, I agree with what you said... As for the rules it's a pity. Any many new fans just accept it for how it 'is'.... I think kicks to the head when BOTH fighters are on the ground (i.e upkicks to a fighter inside guard and kicks when defending heel hooks etc) and knees to the head of grounded opponents should be legal at any time. The ref is there to observe and see that not too much damage is taken. And a knee on the ground is no more dangerous than a flying knee against the cage, like what finished Sherk against Penn. And I guarantee you that almost no illegal technique is a brutal as a shin to head high kick such as CroCop/Wand or Gonzaga/CroCop.

In any case, something needs to change as currently the guy inside the guard has too many advantages, the game is too highly favoured for wrestlers. The guy trying to work his guard is on a beating to nothing as it stands, and no wonder there is so much talk that the closed guard is 'dead' in MMA. You can't heel strike to the kidney any more, you can't kick the face, you are nigh on guaranteed to lose a decision unless you do the VAST majority of work and attack from the bottom, and even then you're probably going to lose the round. Not only that, elbows are legal to the head, so fighters inside guard can do good damage (and cuts) without really posturing up... And when they DO posture up on one knee, you can't kick them in the face! You basically have to suck it up and block the viciousness raining down without much recourse. Things need to change as the MMA game is seriously unbalanced in US MMA.

Agree with Ross and Magnum about the rules. They'll get sorted out eventually, the sport is still young.

If it's Lesnar vs Mir/Carwin in July hopefully the co-main is Cain vs dos Santos for the top contender.

:thumbsu:

Jones isn't nearly ready for Anderson yet, but certainly it's possible in a year, wouldn't mind seeing him against Thiago next, I'm reluctant to ever count out Couture or even Forrest but both would be far too slow against Jones. Unfortunately he's training with Jackson so fights against Evans and Jardine are out.

Jones is definitely not ready for Anderson and would get picked apart standing. There's a bloke named Lyoto and a guy name Shogun that he'd have to get through first. I think they're good enough to stuff Jones's takedowns and could both put him to sleep.

Good call on Couture and Forrest. Even though Randy's on the slide, he's great against wrestlers and would come up with a gameplan for Jones. Forrest is another smart fighter and I think if he was in Vera's position yesterday he would've gone for that armbar Rogan kept pointing out.

We shouldn't forget that Jones is only 22. He's the Joel Selwood of mma. Imagine where he'll be in 5 years.

Agreed Vendrell. Jones is the real deal. I'd like to match him up with Bader, Thiago Silva, Cane or even Forrest next. He is not quite ready IMO for the elite, in Shogun, Machida, Anderson, Rampage and co...

As for up and comers, how good would a fight between Mousasi and Jones be? I think Mousasi would take it, but in terms of up and coming prospects, there wouldn't be many more exciting than Jones.... Aldo, Mousasi are probably the only 2 I can think with comparble potential.

Jones is definitely not ready for Anderson and would get picked apart standing. There's a bloke named Lyoto and a guy name Shogun that he'd have to get through first. I think they're good enough to stuff Jones's takedowns and could both put him to sleep.

Agree with most of what you've said, but the bolded bit I'm not so sure about. Jones has not only taken down two very accomplished wrestlers in his last two fights, he's completely man-handled them. Shogun's TDD isn't the greatest around either, so I think Bones wouldn't have too much trouble getting him there if he could close the distance. Machida on the other hand has shown himself to be very hard to take down. Would love to see these two in the octagon to see what happened.

Not sure there was much to get out of the Jones performance. Looked to me in the previews that Vera knew he was pushing s**t uphill and he didn't look all that shattered or surprised when standing there for the official decision. I'd never say a MMA proffessional dogged it either, but geez, it didn't seem to be a catastrophic hit.

Dos Santos is a scary mother ****er.

Not sure there was much to get out of the Jones performance. Looked to me in the previews that Vera knew he was pushing s**t uphill and he didn't look all that shattered or surprised when standing there for the official decision. I'd never say a MMA proffessional dogged it either, but geez, it didn't seem to be a catastrophic hit.

Dos Santos is a scary mother ****er.

Vera suffered 3 fractures to his face. The hit was catastrophic. You can see after the big elbow he turned away to protect himself. Even the sound was bad.

Vera suffered 3 fractures to his face. The hit was catastrophic. You can see after the big elbow he turned away to protect himself. Even the sound was bad.
Yeah it was a brutal shot. No shame in curling up after that hit. Really looking forward to Jones next fight. On top of the physical tools the kid's just a really imaginative fighter. You never quite know what to expect. Needs to tighten up a bit on the ground obviously but he's going to be a nightmare at LHW for years to come.

And JDS needs to fight a top tier heavyweight ASAP.

I hope Cain vs JDS does not happen until they each have had shots at Lesnar (or whoever is holding the belt). I don't want to see either one of them knock off a great contender. JDS should fight the loser of Mir/Carwin and Cain should fight the loser of the next HW title fight, which would be either Mir/Carwin or Lesnar. Then if Cain and JDS both win their next fights, we'd could have an epic Cain vs JDS title fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back