Mega Thread Buckley coaching mega thread volume II

Remove this Banner Ad

He misses finals again next year he'll go I reckon.
if we miss the finals this year, the pressure will be on. If an experienced coach was available, ala Bomber Thompson, or Paul Roos, I reckon he could go. In the absence of a proven brilliant coach he will stay. If we make the finals this year, he will also be safe.

if we miss the finals this year, the pressure will be on. If an experienced coach was available, ala Bomber Thompson, or Paul Roos, I reckon he could go. In the absence of a proven brilliant coach he will stay. If we make the finals this year, he will also be safe.
We will miss finals this season but I don't think Eddie will have the balls to sack him unless the heat from the supporters really mounts.

People have a right to be disappointed and to question Buckley, but calling for his sacking at this stage is crazy. It was obvious to all with even the smallest amount of footy understanding that this year was about development. I trust that the club will conduct a thorough analysis of the year and identify areas of improvement. IMO Bucks would do well to consider bringing in a couple of new assistants to provide a fresh perspective.
There a thread on the main board about demise. Opposition give it to us because when Buckley took over most were bragging he would deliver a flag right away because it was Malthouse that was the big issue that was causing our downfall.

People have a right to be disappointed and to question Buckley, but calling for his sacking at this stage is crazy. It was obvious to all with even the smallest amount of footy understanding that this year was about development. I trust that the club will conduct a thorough analysis of the year and identify areas of improvement. IMO Bucks would do well to consider bringing in a couple of new assistants to provide a fresh perspective.
There a thread on the main board about our demise. Opposition fans give it to us because when Buckley took over most were bragging he would deliver a flag right away because it was Malthouse that was the big issue that was causing our downfall.

We will miss finals this season but I don't think Eddie will have the balls to sack him unless the heat from the supporters really mounts.

It's got nothing to do with balls. The club are working towards building a list that will be in contention over the next 2-4 years. We were never a realistic chance this year. Your going to have to be patient I'm afraid.

It's got nothing to do with balls. The club are working towards building a list that will be in contention over the next 2-4 years. We were never a realistic chance this year. Your going to have to be patient I'm afraid.
Yes but when mates get in the way of that it can only end of tears. Mates and business don't mix. That's what I mean by Eddie needs to the balls to sack him. Tough gig but he will need to do it eventually.

He must be given the 2015 season now. But we need to be seeing improvement & a game plan that suits the list we have.
I want him to succeed & I hope he does, but we must make changes to the coaching structure for 2016 if we continue to slide.
4 years will be enough. No sugar coating anymore. It must be results driven
If any other coach was coaching us I'm not sure the club would have been as patient right now.

Complete overhaul of the fitness & injury management needs to happen immediately.
Their performance is beyond a joke.

Ben Reid - unsighted until this week in the senior team. (soft tissue)
Ben Sinclair - unsighted at all in the senior team. (soft tissue)
Adam Oxley - unsighted all year in any team (ankle?)
Nathan Freeman - unsighted all year in any team (soft tissue)
Patrick Karnezis - unsighted in the AFL all year (OP & Hamstrings)
Dane Swan - playing injured all year

VFL - Matt Suckling - played 1 or 2 games at best (Hamstring) still says 5-6 weeks away
- Tom Couch - Might have played one game but I can't remember more than that (Hamstring) still says indefinite on the injury list. :eek:

In anyones language this is about as poor as it gets with regards to injury management.

In both the AFL & VFL we also more often than not, get run over in last quarters. WHY?

He must be given the 2015 season now. But we need to be seeing improvement & a game plan that suits the list we have.
I want him to succeed & I hope he does, but we must make changes to the coaching structure for 2016 if we continue to slide.
If any other coach was coaching us I'm not sure the club would have been as patient right now.

Complete overhaul of the fitness & injury management needs to happen immediately.

VFL - Matt Suckling - played 1 or 2 games at best (Hamstring) still says 5-6 weeks away
- Tom Couch - Might have played one game but I can't remember more than that (Hamstring) still says indefinite on the injury list. :eek:

In anyones language this is about as poor as it gets with regards to injury management.

In both the AFL & VFL we also more often than not, get run over in last quarters. WHY?

Isn't this just lowering expectations? Surely we want to develop a list that can play a highly skilled brand of footy that is capable of winning a flag. Not too many sides are going around the boundary line anymore.

Isn't this just lowering expectations? Surely we want to develop a list that can play a highly skilled brand of footy that is capable of winning a flag. Not too many sides are going around the boundary line anymore.

I don't think it's lowering expectations. We don't have a team with elite foot skills so we can't play Hawthorns game plan.
I think while we have Blair, Tooves, Adams, Frost, Keeffe, Swan etc we need to play a brand that they are capable of playing. For instance we could play Ross Lyon's way with the team we have now & then it wouldn't be over complicated & prone to mistakes. Ball carrier is public enemy number 1 - Now go get that mofo. :D
Yes I've simplified it a little too much, but you get the picture.;)

I don't think it's lowering expectations. We don't have a team with elite foot skills so we can't play Hawthorns game plan.
I think while we have Blair, Tooves, Adams, Frost, Keeffe, Swan etc we need to play a brand that they are capable of playing. For instance we could play Ross Lyon's way with the team we have now & then it wouldn't be over complicated & prone to mistakes. Ball carrier is public enemy number 1 - Now go get that mofo. :D
Yes I've simplified it a little too much, but you get the picture.;)

I do get the picture mate. It would be interesting to see where we would be if Lyon was coach. Probably a lot more competitive but would we win it? I think that Bucks has the right ideas for the long term and a more sustained period in contention. Despite the apparent fall this year I actually think we are tracking pretty well for such a young team.

I do get the picture mate. It would be interesting to see where we would be if Lyon was coach. Probably a lot more competitive but would we win it? I think that Bucks has the right ideas for the long term and a more sustained period in contention. Despite the apparent fall this year I actually think we are tracking pretty well for such a young team.
I have no doubt that Lyon is a better coach at the moment than Buckley, but that's because he has years and years of more coaching experience than Buckley. The question to ask is will Buckley be as good a coach as Lyon when he has the same years of experience that Lyon has now. I'm hoping that Buckley will exceed Lyon once he gets near the end of his current contract.

I have no doubt that Lyon is a better coach at the moment than Buckley, but that's because he has years and years of more coaching experience than Buckley. The question to ask is will Buckley be as good a coach as Lyon when he has the same years of experience that Lyon has now. I'm hoping that Buckley will exceed Lyon once he gets near the end of his current contract.

So do I. Bucks is going to need to do a lot of thinking over the off season or we may never find out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I completely forgot about Matt Suckling. Was interested to see how he was going to go in the VFL. Big bodied inside mid who can provide grunt at the contest.

Goddamn our injuries have been like a plague this year.

I'm looking forward to volume 3 of this thread.
Why? Is there something you know that we don't?

Back_to_the_Future_2_Western_Union.jpg

There a thread on the main board about our demise. Opposition fans give it to us because when Buckley took over most were bragging he would deliver a flag right away because it was Malthouse that was the big issue that was causing our downfall.
The only people I respect are fellow Collingwood supporters. Opinions are running both ways in this thread but that's fine because I respect the opinions of fellow supporters even though we don't always agree. Proud to be a Collingwood supporter.

Yes but when mates get in the way of that it can only end of tears. Mates and business don't mix. That's what I mean by Eddie needs to the balls to sack him. Tough gig but he will need to do it eventually.

Agree we are building a strong list, and that should be part and parcel of any teams development, but I'd be disappointed if people within the club, coaches and players thought they were never a realistic chance. There was bitter disappointment how we finished last year, and not finishing in the eight would not have been contemplated, in fact I believe there was a very strong belief we should do better and it was expected. Bucks and the coaching staff must be as nervous as hell if we don't make the eight.

Agree we are building a strong list, and that should be part and parcel of any teams development, but I'd be disappointed if people within the club, coaches and players thought they were never a realistic chance. There was bitter disappointment how we finished last year, and not finishing in the eight would not have been contemplated, in fact I believe there was a very strong belief we should do better and it was expected. Bucks and the coaching staff must be as nervous as hell if we don't make the eight.

There would have been an expectation to finish in the finals, no doubt. With the profile of our list we could not afford a poor run of injuries, unfortunately that is exactly what happened. In the likely event we miss the finals there will be questions asked, and rightly so, but there is zero chance of Bucks being sacked. The reason being that the club are aiming beyond this year.

s**t TG, fools made the prediction and even bigger fools took notice and throw it back. Just when I think a thread on the main board has healthy discussion, in come those fuelled by Collingwood and Buckley hatred to stink it up.
E.g. I put lists up comparing 2011 to 2014. One reply from those in the 'Buckley ****ed it up' camp. Why?

Rubbish. Why would you sack a coach then?

Sydney started this year 1-3 and are now unbackable for the flag...Hawthorn started 2010 1-6 and still comfortably made the finals - and then a GF two years later.

Because it'll confirm we're rudderless and I'd rather give Scott Burns 16 games to instil the right game plan to give a fighting chance for 2016. Flogging a dead horse in 2015 and carrying on with a dud coach gives us no chance for 2016 also and by 2017, Trav will be shot, Swan retired and our top 4 chances dented.

Rubbish. Why would you sack a coach then?

Sydney started this year 1-3 and are now unbackable for the flag...Hawthorn started 2010 1-6 and still comfortably made the finals - and then a GF two years later.
He goes 0-5 and finishes off this season like the last month and he will be gone.

Because it'll confirm we're rudderless and I'd rather give Scott Burns 16 games to instil the right game plan to give a fighting chance for 2016. Flogging a dead horse in 2015 and carrying on with a dud coach gives us no chance for 2016 also and by 2017, Trav will be shot, Swan retired and our top 4 chances dented.
What's Burns' role this year? Seen any improvement in his area?

We made a ballsy decision to go with Bucks in the first place. He's made the decision to revamp the list a little. Why would we jump off him only halfway into that?

We really need to lower our expectations for a little bit, that's what the problem is

Remove this Banner Ad

Back